Tolko Industries Employee Reviews

Great people
Stacker (Current Employee) –  High Level, AB4 March 2017
Great people, great work environment ,great pay when it comes to tolko industries safety does come first it's their goal to make sure safety if your number one priority.
Pros
Lots of over time
Management was a joke.
Production/manufacturing labourer (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC25 February 2017
No advancment opportunities. The benefits and pay were actually very competitive. On the job training is available , and various jobs did not need prior experience.
No workplace culture, only bullying.
IT Department (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC18 February 2017
Tolko as a whole is a great company to work for; it has its ups and downs like any other company but seems to be getting worse. Everyone is an expert in their field with the exception of the two managers currently running the IT department. They're the worst micro managers I've seen in a while and consistently mismanage the resources they're responsible for.
There is no open door policy, feedback isn't appreciated and often taken the wrong way, you'll spend most days searching endlessly to find the two department managers when needed, and unless your above their pay grade good luck getting any sort of email replies.

If you're hard pressed for work and don't mind being bullied until you find something better, then apply. But be warned, it's pretty bad when the running joke is whose going to quit next.
Pros
The pay is pretty good for Vernon.
Cons
Favoritism is very real, the managers are condescending bullies, and the turn over rate is horrendous for an IT department.
Horrible
I.T. Person (Current Employee) –  Vernon, BC2 February 2017
The pay and benefits are above normal in my industry. I have zero to complain about. I can only speak for my department. Our Manager was let go so they appointed the supervisor (in the interim) to manage the department. He in turn appoints a lead to the supervisor role. this guy has a history of belittling, micromanaging his staff and even has an HR complaint against him. All management in my department are excellent people in their fields. Very smart but ZERO Leadership skills. It's surprising they can manage their own affairs let alone a whole departemnt. Communication is terrible, Recognition only goes out to favourites. Engagement at an all time low. How much more can I say. Hi Stress zero payback. If Pay and benefits are the only aspects that concern you then this is the place to be. OTher than that forget it
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
Extremely poor leadership from the Department.
Great Place to work.
Night Watchman (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC25 January 2017
Great communication between employees and management. They offered opportunities to advance as well as apprentice opportunities. They offered a great starting wage and benefits.
Pros
Great working shifts
Cons
Not enough overtime offered
Great workplace with great employees.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB13 January 2017
Gives you as many hours as you could possibly handle. Great and very safe place. lots of opportunities to advance your career.
Poor engagement
power engineer (Former Employee) –  Athabasca division11 December 2016
I worked for Tolko as a contractor for 3 years and a employee for 7 weeks.During the time I worked at Tolko Athabasca division 6 people were let go within 1 week and this happened on more than one occasion, with that being said job security was very weak. A team lead was making employees go into unsafe work conditions that later the employee was the wrong doer and not the team lead. Poor management skills because no investigation was done on this matter. Co-workers are great there despite the leadership issues. I have since quit and went on to better things. If you would like to work for this company you should be a contractor or a trades-person because they get paid the most and have the most slack. If you work on the floor as a regular joe, expect to work in dusty, caustic ash that will burn you and MIDI glue riddled dust all the time. On a final note safety is preached here but never followed but certain people are above that.
Pros
pay is always on time
Cons
unsafe and poor management, poor working conditions
amazing place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC23 October 2016
I quite enjoyed Tolko, the team i worked with and the supervising staff. Tolko is a great company to work for. the company has so much room for advancement and i would recommend it to anyone
fun work place with co-workers
parts scrubber / shipper receiver (Former Employee) –  Lumby, BC13 October 2016
Tolko is a great place to work. Tolko has meany great people in there staff such as managers that are vary easy to work with and understand. tolko also is a very flexible company to work for they have great hours to work
Pros
lots of laughs for the co workers
Cons
Nepotism and favoritism at its finest
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC19 September 2016
Company is a joke. No advancement what so ever unless you reallly suck up, are a relative, or into sports.
Extremely unsafe. Unsafe conditions only ever get resolved once WorkSafe BC gives a heads up about a tour then all of the sudden they scramble around and all unsafe areas are magically clean for a day or so then right after the tour they are back to being a complete unsafe mess. If they actually did a surprise tour no question about it, it would be shut down. Production over safety. Apparently all of the latest fatality's don't phase them.
Apparently we are just "A bunch of expendable monkeys" to management. They are completely incompetent. if this company wants to survive the foreseeable next few years it might have left they better start thinking about restructuring management based on experience and performance not handing it out like f'ing candy to privileged family members or friends. AVOID at all costs if you aspire to move up in a company with dedication and hard work, you'll just get sht on. This company is good if you want to be lazy drunk and high in a unionized environment with little to no chance of dismissal.
Pros
Co-Workers stuck in the same mess are great people
Cons
The whole written review says enough
Was a decent place to work at but Tolko is shutting down in December
Power Engineer (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MB22 August 2016
Was a good place to work, helped me get my 4th class ticket and I am now working on my 3rd class Power Engineering but the mill is suppose to shut down in December unless somebody else buys it in the upcoming 3 months.
Pros
Helped me get my ticket.
Cons
good core values hindered by poor upper management
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Lavington, BC11 August 2016
The company has great values and should be a great place to work. The lower level management is great but are constantly being pushed to doing things that make no sense from upper management. Decisions are made without proper thought or consultation causing additional work and expense that is unneeded. People are being put into positions that they should not be which pushes workload to others to compensate.
Pros
wage, benefits
Cons
poor upper management
Wood mill work, lots of maintenance
Electrician (Current Employee) –  High Level, AB30 June 2016
It's a large mill with 3 lines operating. Lots to do on weekends when the mill is closed. Co-workers are the best you could ask for. Management is management,
Review Summary
Purchasing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Quesnel, BC28 March 2016
A work day was fast paced, prioritizing tasks effectively was required.
The environment was always focused on safety first, I was constantly learning and upgrading my management skills.
I enjoyed my co workers.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes extra long days.
The most enjoyable part of the job was achieving success with my co-workers.
Imployment
Supervisor / Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Lavington, BC22 March 2016
The company will get the best results out of a person it can. You are paid very well but do sacrifice a lot. Its a great place for people that dont have any other things going on in life. Things have really changed in the last 5 years or so. Direction from top leadership seems to be lacking.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long Hrs, Family Sacrifice, treated like a robot from time to time
good pay horrible place to work
power engineer (Former Employee) –  The Pas MB9 February 2016
Good pay and learned a lot while working there, but management is horrible, the work is great but like I said management is horrible,
Process and quality control technician for Blender optimization
Process and quality control Technician (Former Employee) –  Meadow Lake, SK13 December 2015
I worked one Coop 4 Month term with TOLKO industries in Meadow lake Saskatchewan. As a coop student I was working on a project of blender optimization for the improved resin distribution. I worked with my technical coordinator to change the process control variables such as Blender speed, angle of Blender to study the effect on Resin distribution on strands. I gave the suggestion for flight Enhancers inside Blender to increase the residence time. This had a great effect on Blender efficiency.

One of my duties was there to get the data and statistically analyze the data on Infinityqs software which is quality control software for statistical process control for the study of resin distribution on strands and to check the strand size grading. I maintained healthy relations with technical manager and gave idea about heat integration to save energy in OSB mill which was highly appreciated by managerial staff. They started to work on it for heat integration within plant as before they were throwing flue gases in atmosphere at the temperature of 135 degree Celsius
Avoid tolko, the culture is toxic
maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Lumby, BC14 November 2015
The pay is great, the guys are great, but the management fumbles around and constantly sets the maintenance staff up for failure. The management treats people like they don't matter and has no idea what the word organized means. If you have options elsewhere take them.
Pros
wage
Cons
management
Great employer
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  High Level, AB4 November 2015
Fair. And moving in the right direction!
Off on weekends and new challenges daily. Company is investing in the future: production and safety.
Pros
Solid management, hard working employees
Cons
High Level
Great work, lots to learn, great people
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB10 July 2015
I learned a lot working at Tolko, running big machines like the Trimmer, Stacker, and a few other things like the Strip piler, paper wrap, sorter, etc. I really enjoyed working there it was just very far away from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tolko Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8