Tolko Industries Employee Reviews in Canada

Imployment
Supervisor / Lead hand (Former Employee) –  Lavington, BCMarch 22, 2016
The company will get the best results out of a person it can. You are paid very well but do sacrifice a lot. Its a great place for people that dont have any other things going on in life. Things have really changed in the last 5 years or so. Direction from top leadership seems to be lacking.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Long Hrs, Family Sacrifice, treated like a robot from time to time
Avoid tolko, the culture is toxic
maintenance worker (Former Employee) –  Lumby, BCNovember 14, 2015
The pay is great, the guys are great, but the management fumbles around and constantly sets the maintenance staff up for failure. The management treats people like they don't matter and has no idea what the word organized means. If you have options elsewhere take them.
Pros
wage
Cons
management
good pay horrible place to work
power engineer (Former Employee) –  The Pas MBFebruary 9, 2016
Good pay and learned a lot while working there, but management is horrible, the work is great but like I said management is horrible,
Great employer
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  High Level, ABNovember 4, 2015
Fair. And moving in the right direction!
Off on weekends and new challenges daily. Company is investing in the future: production and safety.
Pros
Solid management, hard working employees
Cons
High Level
Process and quality control technician for Blender optimization
Process and quality control Technician (Former Employee) –  Meadow Lake, SKDecember 13, 2015
I worked one Coop 4 Month term with TOLKO industries in Meadow lake Saskatchewan. As a coop student I was working on a project of blender optimization for the improved resin distribution. I worked with my technical coordinator to change the process control variables such as Blender speed, angle of Blender to study the effect on Resin distribution on strands. I gave the suggestion for flight Enhancers inside Blender to increase the residence time. This had a great effect on Blender efficiency.

One of my duties was there to get the data and statistically analyze the data on Infinityqs software which is quality control software for statistical process control for the study of resin distribution on strands and to check the strand size grading. I maintained healthy relations with technical manager and gave idea about heat integration to save energy in OSB mill which was highly appreciated by managerial staff. They started to work on it for heat integration within plant as before they were throwing flue gases in atmosphere at the temperature of 135 degree Celsius
Great work, lots to learn, great people
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABJuly 10, 2015
I learned a lot working at Tolko, running big machines like the Trimmer, Stacker, and a few other things like the Strip piler, paper wrap, sorter, etc. I really enjoyed working there it was just very far away from home
Could be worse
Forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCApril 27, 2015
Forklift operator. training regiment could be improved and the way the old timers talk to the new guys could definetly be better, expecting you to keep up with them when you've been on the job 7 days compared to their 30 years. besides that job is good and rewarding
Pros
close to home, pay is decent
Cons
not enough ot and old timers can be rude
Secure employment and good benefits and good people.
Maintenance and Production Laborer (Former Employee) –  Louis Creek, BCApril 10, 2015
Although there was not much opportunity for advancement, the overall condition of the plant and the latest technology of the equipment made this job "quite enjoyable " and easy to manage day to day functions
Pros
Very good work environment
Cons
A lot of saw dust and solvents etc., on site. ( pollutants )
loved the job. would take it back in a heart beat
Clean Up Crew, General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BCFebruary 10, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of general clean up with great co-workers. There I learned how to lock out machinery properly and manage my time efficiently. I also had extensive safety training.

I found everything easy and enjoyable. The only thing hard sometimes was when I did graveyard shifts.
Pros
union, loved it
Cons
location(home town)
Good people to work with.
Production Foreman (Current Employee) –  William LakeJanuary 23, 2015
Typical day here is coming in early and getting things fired up and running. Makeing sure everyone is doing their job safely and productivley. I have learned with a good core a group can work well together. You get the odd misfit but getting that person on side and keeping them in the loop and proper feed back goes a long way. Co-workers are good, we are all competetive but have a good sense of humour to go along with it. The hardest part of the job is when you get into a breakdown rutt. Most enjoyable part of the job is achieving production goals safely, and spending time with the crew.
not a good place to work
stacker (Former Employee) –  millDecember 20, 2014
from the first day i started to my last day all i herd was complaints and complaining about manag,for the most part the people are good people,with that being said it only takes a few to make a job unpleasent,i now understand what the others are talking about.in my first 2 weeks i was brought to office and had my job threatened for some thing i did not do,And when i quit not one call from HR to ask why.i was told they have gone through a large number of employees and i now understand why,tolko may be desperate for employees but should take a good look as to who and what position they advance some people into.and as far as training and safty.i was told and i quote....look around when you do this if no one around no need to lock out.3 people trained me in first 2 weeks 2 were great one was the worst trainer i have ever had(.should not be allowed to train.) will never work for tolko high level again unsafe to much soap opera for this guy.oh ya hrly rate i was told not the same as received .
Pros
close to home
Cons
read the abouve
Productive work place with good people to work with.
❸ Machine operator (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABOctober 28, 2014
Running wood, watching cameras , reman transfers, etc etc. Management was awesome for the most part. People i worked with were great. If the location was in a better place rather than High Level, It would have made it easier to live.
Pros
lots of ot.
Cons
not many.
company good to work for and had incentive bonuses
Mill worker (Former Employee) –  Heffley Creek, BCDecember 10, 2013
A typical day was to come in and go to the working station you are assigned to and work to the best of your ability. I learned to perform a variety of different jobs while I was employed there. Management was very good except if there were any injuries that happened and then they expected you to work threw them. It was a great place to work with your coworkers because we learned to work as a team and help each other out. The hardest part of the job was unplugging plug ups. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting rewards for our shift when goals were achieved.
Pros
rewards for goals acheived and free dinners brought in
Cons
layoffs or injuries
humerious employers and co-workers
Weekend crew clean-up, Labour worker (Former Employee) –  High level, ABSeptember 11, 2013
-Show up 7 am, have safety meeting and started working.
-I learned alot of safety and how to be independant on making the right safety choices.
-Management was great and co-workers were also great to work with, very humerious.
-Going into very small crawl spaces in big machines to clean out was the hardest part of the job.
-Joking around and talking with co-workers during lunch time was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
awesome pay, humerous emploers and co-workers.
Cons
working weekends only
It was fun learning all the aspecs of the mill.
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABMarch 18, 2013
I went from a labourer using a shovel, to running a 300,000 dollar forkilift. We would lift the bundles of wood at a time, around the hieght of a house. Tolko taught me a lot of things, from hard work ethic, to loyalty. I just really wish they were safer, there was a lot of alcohol and drug abuse in the yard amungst the operators. I felt it would be safer for me to thank you for the employment, but i have to leave.
Pros
overtime
Cons
alcholol and drug abuse
Productive and fun work place
Control Systems Specialist (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABDecember 24, 2014
Excellent environment to work.Large motors and unending conveyor systems depending on the mill. Excellent automation and process controls
stupid is as stupid does
labour (Former Employee) –  slave lakeJanuary 4, 2015
When you have such a large population of stupid people how you know who is stupid.
Pros
handjobs
Cons
crazy fires
Saw mill are on there way out
Chip loader for 10 years (Current Employee) –  williams lakeAugust 27, 2012
Co-worker are great
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting ever thing done and my truckers went away happy
Pros
it a job
Cons
will not last untell i retirer
skilled work
Plant Protection Technician (Former Employee) –  High levelOctober 26, 2014
pipefitting handyman repairs construction fire systems plumbing heating
Fast paced
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BCDecember 4, 2013
Learned a lot of basic work place skills at a young age.
Emphasized how important safety in the work place really is