Tolko Industries Ltd Employee Reviews

Great place with comfortable setting and people
Marketing and Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC12 January 2018
Worked in domestic sales as a co-op student. Helped the sales team in anyway possible. This included finding customers, pulling up past sales information, simplifying documentation. Co-workers were great and knowledgeable.
Pros
Free lunches and open workplace
Cons
Long hours at times
Interesting work. Flexible hours. Good pay
Shipping Administrator - part time (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC21 November 2017
My responsibilities were to cover this position when my co-worker went on holidays and when she went back to school. It was interesting work but stressful. There was great attention to details. I am still on the payroll but have not worked since April, 2017
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Stressful
Productive, fast paced
Loghandler (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB4 November 2017
Fast paced, good pay. Tolko let me learn all the jobs that I could get my hands on . Logloader, Bucket operator,Grapple operator, Grader operator,forklift operator, as well as some jobs in the sawmill
Pros
Lots overtime
Cons
Productive and fun work place, when goals were exceeded there were many perks
Log deck,Tilthoist,dropsort,chipperman,clean-up (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC8 May 2017
I love the sawmill life, hence why I've been in the industry for over a decade... sadly our mill was shut down due to what they said was lack of materials.. whether it was or wasn't the case, I will forever miss the lifestyle it brought into my life.. a jobs a job yes, but the pay was enough to live comfortably and the jobs were almost like a competition which made kept me on task and always striving to be better
Basically not bad, don't take ownership, others dont like
journeyman millwright (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB24 April 2017
Not too bad, there was a definite lack of advancement and when you took some ownership in the tiny part you played, horrible life altering events would happen and you would be reminded that you were just a number and that sort of behavior just brought you sorrow.
Pros
decent pay, great benefits
Cons
politics were really grotesque
Good for very flexible people
Labourer (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB29 March 2017
Was a good job at first then I got thrown a lot to 3 different shifts not my kind of job they management is not very good they are all over the place .
Pros
Lots of o.t
Cons
Swing shifts
Nepotism is in full swing
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB15 March 2017
Way too many family members working together at the slave lake division. If anyone ever needed to do a study on how nepotism affects the workplace, Tolko would be a perfect example. Management seems to personalize things and fire ppl without much apparent reason, which creates fear that an employee can be fired cuz a manager doesn't personally like you. No work life balance. The cost of travel to the mill, plus vehicle damage caused by the gravel road to the site made the job not worth keeping.
Pros
Great benefits package, decent wages
Cons
Nepotism, travel to work site on gravel road, work/life balance
it was a steady job
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Barriere, BC10 March 2017
I really don't have much nice things to say about Tolko Industries ltd. because of what they did to the Barriere residents during the 2003 wild fires.
A challenging work place with good employees.
Head Planerman (Current Employee) –  Quesnel, BC20 February 2017
I found Tolko Industries to be about average as far as an employer. As a company it is always striving for improvement in all aspects.
lead by feelings
Industrial Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC29 January 2017
worst management I ever seen. workers quit giving their ideas because they will be stolen by managers and later on used as their owns. first place in grievances numbers
Pros
great collegues to work with
Cons
a waste of human ressources
A very up to date and forward thinking company
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB20 January 2017
I find Tolko to be a fair and caring company where Safety is a very important part of the job and a big part of the culture.It is a very forward thinking company and encourages advancement in management careers.It is a very fast paced business and has its ups and downs like any business,but at the end of the day when its running and all things are good,you leave with a feeling of pride knowing you've played a role in helping to bring all this to life.
Pros
Good company, lots of good people, very open to forward thinking
Cons
still in start-up, figure it out mode
Good experience in an industrial enviroment
Lab technician (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB10 January 2017
For a computer science graduate it was my first time to work at the forest industry. It was new to me; however I picked up and learn everything quickly the fit in very well and have earned the APA, american plywood association certificate for certified quality technician. During the work I also need to communicate frequently, make a lot of decision and troubleshooting, so I am not afraid of challenges or multitasking. I am a fast learner and have good time management. On the annual performance evaluation, mine were all excellent and above the expectation.
good benefits and decent salary forest industry is hurting in BC
MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BC25 October 2016
I thought Tolko would be a good company to be with until retirement. Many long term employees. Good benefits and decent salary. Forest industry is not stable in BC
Pros
salary, benefits
Cons
instability of forest industry
Like mind games with no advancement? This jobs for you!
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 August 2016
Favoritism & Nepotism. Hard work grants you no advancement, from what I've seen in my past 12 years working here it's the lazy suck ups that gain any advancement. Would not recommend to anybody.
Pros
Pay & Benifits
Cons
Favoritism & Nepotism, Cover up any unsafe conditions & practices when they get a heads up about a WorkSafeBC tour.
Good pay, long day, the things people say
Summer Student - Equipment Operator in Woodyard (Former Employee) –  The Pas, MB29 March 2016
Environment promoted laziness over the course of long "work" hours. Supervision is a joke promoting further laziness, but the pay was very good. Not a good environment for those first joining the work force as it will destroy your work ethic no matter who you are.
Amazing
Junior Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  The Pas, MB21 February 2016
Working 10 hours a day, I was given responsibility for my projects which is very uncommon and that is what forced me to do my own research and strive for results.
Pros
3 day weekends
fun but physically demanding work
General Labourer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 January 2016
A day at work I would either be on clean up, production, or safety watch. Clean up was 12hr shifts or removing veneer panels and sawdust from the machines. Production was 8 hr shifts either feeding the dryer or doing quality control on the patch line. Safety watch I was outside doing fire watch and monitoring lockouts. The management was really good and mt co-workers were hard working. The hardest part of the job was the 12 shift of physically demanding work and the most enjoyable was up on the patch line. I really enjoyed my experiences there.
Productive work place
Weekend Cleanup (Former Employee) –  Merritt, BC13 July 2015
On Saturdays we did cleanup and on Sundays we did Spark watch. The job was quite simple, however, due to the commute and cost, I had to quit.
Safe Work Environment
Production Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC27 February 2015
I have learned lots at this job. Hours worked are 12am - 7am which allows me to spend quality time with my family. I have great co-workers and everyone works as a team.
good company , understanding management, helpful.
Saw Tech/ Production (Current Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB17 December 2014
Been working for Tolko for over a year now, has been a good experience, met some awesome people. Training has been thorough, and if needed more to become better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tolko Industries Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.