Timken Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Hard work and lots of stress
Heat treat specialist (Former Employee), Benoni, GPAugust 22, 2013
Pros: r20 for lunch
Cons: working 40 hours a week normal time and lots of overtims
1. Ensure Ms results are checked and product are approved before the parts are loaded in hardening furnace.
2. Co-ordinate with production and submit and the Monthly hardening Audit (MHA) samples once in a month and the Bearing Component Audit (BCA) samples as per the requirement.
3. Ensure plant is compliance to 3.20 pyrometry corporate standard. TUS, SAT for Pit, RHF, Tempering and Ms station is checked and meeting as per 3.20 standard & all thermocouples are meeting 3.20 standard
4. Ensure weekly inspection is done for microstructure-carbides, NMTP, RA, decarb, 80C.
5. Ensure all the lab equipment’s are calibrated and meeting corporate standards.
6. Ensure yearly case depth survey, quench oil inspection, annual review of Ms sample location, annual review of product vs slug, CCR rings are completed as per the corporate standard 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7
7. Ensure Monthly Metallurgical reports are submitted to General Manager-PMM, Chief Material Engineers & internal communication.
8. Ensure all the Ms lab technicians are well trained before on the job activities.
9. Monitor daily calibration is done & hourly hardness checks are done by production associates.
10. Ensure Grind injury samples are checked on every shift as per the sampling plan and meeting the 10.27 corporate standard.
11. Support production and train operators for plug tool setting and gauging for part no change over.
We will be loosing our GM business by the end of this year and there will be a lay-off. I'm looking for a more stable and reliable job.
Process Technician (Current Employee), Altavista, VAMarch 2, 2013
Pros: work place, pay, benefits, and relaxed atmosphere.
Cons: the economy (loosing business and lay offs)
A typical day at work is: Work 6:00 am to 4:00 PM Monday Through Thursday and if O/T is needed we work from 6:00 am through 2:00 pm Fri., Sat., or Sun.Work on a production line. Run, and maintain your own piece of equipment. No Maintenance crew here. We do have an Electrical Support Crew. We do our own material handling, P.M.'s
I learned alot about maintenance and the upkeep of the equipment. Preventive maintenance and the ordering of critical spare parts. Had training on NDE (Non Destructive Evaluation) of steel after the Heat Treat Process to check for cracks of any abnormalities.
We work in a Team environment, so we do not have constant management supervision, unless needed.
The hardest part of my job is the mental stress of not know the outcome of a layoff.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working in a climate controlled building. Knowing that I will be getting off and going home at the end of the work day. Unless there is a break down or something out of the normal.
Timken has been a challenging company to work for with better than average benefits.
Manufacturing Analyst - Engineering Group (Current Employee), Randleman, NCOctober 28, 2013
Pros: steady work, healthcare benefits, matching 401k
Cons: overloaded employees
A down economy has everyone focused on controlling cost and generating revenue. A typical day at the plant would begin by reviewing specific process issues that may have popped up overnight which may have slowed or hindering production flow through the plant. After putting together a plan to address the fires, I would precede working on my assigned engineering projects. There are only four of us in the engineering group and we try to support all areas of the plant. Seems there is always a problem with a process or a person needing help and never enough time in the day. The hardest part of my job is finding enough time to help everyone. My personality is to never leave someone in need of help when they have truly exhausted all avenues. Management has generally been supportive, we all are seeing the effects of over burdening. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing a project complete working as planned.
Conservative but looking for ways to advance
Sales - Acting Win Research Director (Current Employee), Boca Raton, FLSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Good Benefits.
Cons: No opportunity for Advancement
Timken is an excellent company in a stage of enhancement and growth.

The work is interesting and easy to handle. Is also related to the field of my studies.

When I compare Timken vs. Ingersoll-Rand, I feel that I have not learned enough at Timken, but only few basic programs such as SAP & CRM.

Upper management has a clear vision and direction for the company; also is trying to adapt to the technological changes required to be successful and to survived in our current times.

Co-workers are nice and easy to handle. Through years I have developed good friendship and passed the knowledge to others that come inboard to work among us.

Hardest part of the job is to deal with a manager that promise & does not deliver to employees or to customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to train others and see them to achieve success.
A good place to learn new skills and meet great people
Sr. Manufacturing Administrative Processor (Former Employee), Canton, OhioMarch 20, 2014
Pros: good health benefits and good pay
Cons: working in all weather, dirty environment, lots of stress when production didn't go as planned
Though Timken is a well respected company, it wasn't the right fit for me. There is no compassion for workers family life and unexpected issues that come with having a family. Being the lowest person on the organizational chart, I was given many duties that helped others, it taught me better organizational skills and prioritizing time. My co-workers were very helpful on the hourly side, but I didn't receive much respect from the salary side since I was an hourly person with salary responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning the process of a steel mill and earning respect for the associates that worked on shifts. It's a very dangerous job, and can be very intense at times.
Challenging Place to Work... in a Good Way.
Demand Fulfillment Analyst (Current Employee), Canton, OHSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: good working hours, challenging, older upper management
Cons: culture, change resistance
You always have a set list of daily things to do, of course depending on your department.

Great opportunity for an employee to get a lot of responsibility quick and to be challenged from the start.

Each day is challenging trying to make sure your tasks are complete and moving up to the next one.

A small negative is years of service is heavily used with many of your co-workers spending their entire careers up over 30-40 years at one company. Hard to break into set culture. If you didn't start there Post High School or College the network is hard to climb into. May not run everything by strict seniority but it is definitely stratified.

The hardest part of the job is using outdated computer programs and the resistance to change.
Nothing stays the same
AUDITOR II (Current Employee), Canton, OhioJune 7, 2014
Pros: new faces and new challeges daily
Cons: too little family life
The atmosphere is fairly relaxed. I have learned a great deal about the importance of controls within a company. This company is very driven about controls and we are very much supported by the top management It is much easier to go out in the field and do a great job for the company when you have the support by management. I enjoy working with my co-workers. We have a great group of individuals in the Audit Department. That is important since we could travel together for long time periods of time together. The hardest part of my job is being away from my family so often but it is also a blessing to come home. The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting so many different people all over the world. I'm always learning and my job is always different. The tests may be the same but how I get the results may not be the same.
Slow and Frustrating
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Honea Path, SCSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: $13.50 an hour
Cons: 56 hours or more a week, short breaks, poor management, all food comes from vending machines
I was working with machinery that was old and falling apart. Maintenance was uneducated and often did not know how to fix the problems. Due to this the machine was difficult to run properly and often needed to be shut down and restarted. Eventually the company bought a new machine but the only employee who was trained to run it left the company. I was positioned to run the new machine so i had to use a lot of guess work which ended up taking an entire shift just to turn it on. When management was informed of the problem. i was told to keep at it until i figured it out.
Very poor management
Engineer (Former Employee), Cairo, Ga.May 2, 2012
Pros: good benefits
Cons: poor layoff choices-poor managemant
I worked in very strategic and diverse positions during my career of 32 years in which I saved Timken millions of dollars. I invented machines that improved production, decreased cycle times, improved part quality, improved safety, and reduced repetitive motion injuries. I came up with innovative ideas that improved the overall quality of the workplace and created a pleasant work environment and improved moral.
I always gave 110%.
After all I had done and all my tenor, I was let go like I had committed a crime in May 2009.
The reason given was cut backs due to poor sales, but they kept their favorites who slept on the job and who stole from the company.
Great learning experiences, sound management.
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Canton, OHJune 3, 2014
Pros: great projects, helpfull associates and management.
Cons: on-call after hours and low pay comparisions.
I was able to experience some great projects while at The Timken Company; from bearings to steel, to HR and payroll. The management was both exacting and supportive. They expected a lot, but they also supported your needs. Their training for their IT associates was excellent and was very individualized. The training period typically lasted 6 month to 9 months. While I finished in 3 months, I was ready for my selection of departments. After training I was provided choices of which department to support. Kudos to them for the great training and experience of awesome projects! The most difficult part of my career there was supporting IT systems requiring on-call after hours and long weekends.
Good work and friendly envorment
Assmbler (Current Employee), Leawood, KSNovember 18, 2015
Pros: easy job, stable hours
Cons: Dirty job, questionable pay, High turnover
I like the work even though it can be dirty. The job is not that hard as long as you pay attention to the training. However there was some misleading information about the job when I started. They had informed me that I was going to be hired on permanent after 3 months. I have been there for 7 months and they are still just looking at my application for permanent hire. I also was informed that moving up was an easy and common thing, but I have been left in the same placement for all 7 months and have on multiple times asked to move to other jobs in the company.
Not a good place to work
steel worker (Current Employee), Canton, OHJune 30, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits are good
Cons: swing shift, have to work weekends and holidays, no time off
Not good to be an hourly employee here. They make you work swing shift even though they could get by with straight shifts. Research shows working swing shift will take about 7yrs off a persons life so less pension they have to pay. You will work all holidays except Christmas day. You will work most weekends. They claim to be diverse but in 4 departments I was in all the bosses were white males. No females. No minorities. Only look into this place if you want to have no life and be treated like a prisoner.
Productive and fun place to work.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), 1835 Dueber Avenue S.W., Canton, Ohio 44707June 21, 2012
Pros: cafeteria has cold sandwiches and hot foods and salads. good healthcare.
Cons: promotions were not plentiful.
I would go into work and set up my computer with the screen that I would use throughout the day.
I learned how to be a work producer. I learned how to help the company maintain its production schedule.
I would meet with management to see where I was with my production. What did I need to do to keep my evaluation up.
My co-workers wer excellent. They were very helpful.
The hardest part of the job was keeping my rating up. I like going to training sessions.
Workplace
Store Keeper/Forklift Driver (Former Employee), NorthamptonApril 16, 2015
Pros: Free parking
During this time, I was responsible for delivery of a variety of different oil grades to departments within the factory, by forklift truck. Having worked in this area for 22 years, I was required to have specialist knowledge of oil grades within the Engineering Industry. I was also responsible for the planning, checking and calculating of oil quantities, to ensure that stock levels remain at a constant level. This involved ensuring that accurate records were kept up to date and machine parts were issued in line with production. I was fully accredited with Achievement of ISO 9001- Oils.
Analyst
analyst (Current Employee), Canton, OHApril 24, 2014
Pros: hours, pay, benefits
Cons: you worked until your job was done often taking work home, micromanaged, nepotism
Management sucks. Pay is good. Benefits and hours aren't that bad. Lack of fairness from employee to employee. What is Ok for one person isn't OK for another. Micromanaged all day long. Nepotism in full effect- people got jobs bc of who they knew and not educational background and experience. Felt bad for those who were qualified. Manager played favorites, but I guess you can have these instances at any place of employment.
Best Company in Canton, Ohio to work.
Senior Secretary (Former Employee), Canton, OHOctober 23, 2013
Pros: great salary and benefits
Cons: at the time i worked there, there were no part-time positions.
I believe The Timken Company is the best place to work in Canton, Ohio. Worked there for 10 years before my children were born. Great atmosphere, great salary and benefits. The hardest part of the job was being able to be the BEST employee that I could be, while being the BEST Mother I could be. I decided I didn't want to try to juggle both. I decided I had to choose. Left to be a full-time Mother and own my own business along with my husband. My children are grown now and I can devote all my attention to my job.
Friendly environment.
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee), Bucyrus, OHMay 20, 2012
Pros: benefits.
Cons: short breaks, company's change in attitude.
I sat up and operated fast-paced assembly lines. I had to conduct inspections to assure quality before shipping. I was responsible for overseeing the general operation of assembly lines to ensure that deadlines and daily quotas were met. Management was great to work with and I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was meeting deadlines when product was back-ordered. The most enjoyable part of my job was telling the employees that we made our quota for the day.
Continuous communication between customers and manufacturing facility
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Canton, OHApril 18, 2013
Review of production of previous shifts, update scheduling lineups. Interact during daily fast response meeting with management to review, production results, expedites and concerns. The hardest part of the job often times are assuring customer receives product on or before promised delivery date. Delays caused often times from machine break downs, or availablity of raw materials. The most enjoyable paqrt of the job is meeting our customer promise dates and knowing I did everything possible to meet promise date.
Productive and laid back work environment with stereos at every station.
Lab Assistant/Machine Operator (Former Employee), Randleman, NCJanuary 14, 2015
You weren't rushed to complete assignments. I learned how to drive a standing forklift and was certified. I learned chemicals safety and the etching process of barrons. Management was understanding and easy to talk to and willing to work with you if needed. My co-workers were friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was working 12 hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was having 4 nights off one week and 3 the next.
A profittable organization which focuses on quality.
Packaging Processor (Current Employee), Duncan, SCJanuary 15, 2013
Pros: medical benefits; retirement benefits
Cons: lack of career advancement opportunity; competive salary
A day at Timken is focused on producing a quality product within on time delivery. My work experience focuses on training, quality, inventory management, and working in a team environment. The team environment is aimed at offering an open exchangable working experience. The hardest part of the job would be having an educated background with no chance of career advancement within the organization. The work experience within Timken has given an opportunity to advance my leadership skills, computer skills, and inventory management knowledge.