Tim Hortons Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 4,863 reviews matching the search
Easy work, poor management
Team member (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONJanuary 23, 2016
I worked as a part time student, mostly just weekends. The typical shift was 8 hours long, either from 6am-2pm or from 2pm-10pm. It was a pretty easy job, and you catch on pretty quickly. However, it is VERY fast paced, and not a good job for anyone with anxiety disorders or someone who panics easy.

I worked here for about a year and a half, and met some really amazing people. The other students I worked with on weekends were awesome, however the "day ladies" (Mon-Fri morning workers) were rude and condescending.

You get paid minimum wage, which was fine for me. However, the management was horrible. The store owner was very biased and picked favourites. If you called in sick, the management/supervisors would talk badly about you to other employees, which made the work environment very uncomfortable sometimes.

All in all, this was a pretty easy first job, and taught me many things, including great customer service skills, which I have carried over to my current job at Sport Chek.
Pros
discounts on food, free coffee, student coworkers are great
Cons
poor management, day ladies are rude, long hours
Great Place to Work
TEAM MEMBER/BAKER (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ONApril 6, 2016
Good place to work unless you get stuck with management that harass you and humiliates you in front of other employees or customers. You get a yearly review and a raise depending on your past performance, which is nice.
Excellent experience!
Counter sales (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONApril 6, 2016
Good management, presence of job security, excellent co workers and managers, salary satisfactory, timely pay checks, good workplace ambience, co-operative customers.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
work
Cashier associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBDecember 11, 2015
Hard place to work, it's okay if you are part time but working there full time is hard and stressful. If you are a people person and can handle a challenge this is a job for you. Co-workers are always great you have mixed ages most times so you get the best of both worlds. Management isn't always great they push you so hard, and don't praise you enough for how much you do.
good company - corporate
Senior HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 10, 2016
If you are young, there is lots of opportunity for advancement. The culture has changed with new ownership. Very lean operation.
Pros
fitness centre, on site cafeteria
Cons
long hours, lots of change
Was fun while I was young
Baker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 1, 2016
prepared baked goods nightly, cleaned kitchen and stocked freezer when needed
very flexible work schedule
learned the rudiments of kitchen organization
free coffee or tea while on shift + employee disc for take home
no heavy lifting
danger of burns
no benefits and very slow pay raise scale
Pros
no customer service necessary, easy to learn and can work relatively independantly
Cons
very slow pay raises, some co-workers can be hard to get along with
Good first job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 23, 2015
Fast paced work environment. The only good thing about this job is that you almost always get hours, I always received 40 hours and it was easy to get time off if needed. As well the day goes by fast because the job is so fast paced especially if you are in drive thru. However, you are never allowed to BREATHE. "If you have time to lean, you have time to clean". You are always moving...And you will never be fast enough at this job. You are expected to make a bagel and gather other items (coffee, pastries ect..) all in under 20 sec. And its NEVER the customers fault. This job can be very high stress and you get customers yelling at you all the time. Raises are awful at Tim Hortons you may get 10 cents every 3 months even when you are top team member!!!
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Can be too fast paced
Fun and Enthusiastic area to work in.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradford, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Tim Hortons has provided me with experience in management and social skills in many ways. I have had the opportunities to delegate and position staff and control restaurant demands to meet head office expectations. My duties include: cash management, inventory management, scheduling, training, reporting directly to district managers, ensure restaurant is up to specific outlined standards at all times.
Pros
free lunches, control of own resteraunt.
Cons
no overtime pay (salary)
This job was ok for it purpose, make money so i don't go homeless.
Front counter/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCNovember 16, 2015
Job was quite monotonous, but by no means un-enjoyable. co-workers are nice over all and made the experience worth while.

Management seemed lost and useless a lot of the time, nto doing there job and often sweeping problems under the carpet instead of dealing with them.

new staff we never trained properly leading to constant error as new staff would teach even newer staff neither of the two having been properly trained.

Not much place for advancement but a good job to hold onto while searching for something new or to do as part time while in school as a form of minor income.
Pros
Quite flexible when given notice for needed days off.
Cons
under staffed, stressful, very badly trained staff
Fun workplace; a place to learn basics of customer service
Team Member and Baker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 14, 2015
Tim Hortons was a job that I enjoyed. I stayed with them as a company for a long time, and was usually treated fairly, had my life accommodated for with flexible hours and understanding of personal issues. My largest complaint with the company is that in four straight years of employment I only received one raise for $0.20, which was lackluster to say the least. Other then that, the atmosphere and the skills I learned in customer service and employee interaction were well worth the time I spent with the company.
Pros
Free Drinks, 8 hour shifts
Cons
Messy Management (at times), mediocre pay and inconsistent raises
fun meeting all types of people
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Monkland, ONFebruary 29, 2016
Working at Tim Horton can be very challenging and demanding. The pressure we feel as workers at Tim Horton can be very competitive. Management can be difficult at times. The hardest part of this job was feeling that our job is not secure. The most enjoyable part of this job is making a customer smile with satisfaction.
Pros
meeting the most interesting customers
Cons
being not appreciate by management
4 Years later I am looking for something new
Team Member for Storefront, Cash, Bake & Inventory (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 14, 2016
I am currently employed at Tim Horton’s and always provide a fast, accurate and friendly service to our guests. I am very outgoing and friendly and get along very well with the customers and my co-workers. I am driven, very ambitious and am regularly praised for my hard work and my commitment to my team. I thrive during our extremely busy and “crazy” hours of the day, am used to long shifts and will often stay later or cover shifts when needed.

As an employee at Tim Horton’s I am able to make and complete large beverage (and food) orders and I feel like it has really paved the way for me being able to be an exceptional bartender or waitress. I have learned excellent customer service skills, and make sure our guests have an extremely positive experience. During my three and a half years at Tim Horton's I have learned how to take leadership roles and help lead my team, with many team members relying on me to taker lead/supervisor roles. I am able to work independently and with my team members and I have built solid relationships with my coworkers, management and coworkers. The hardest part of my job would be managing my perfectionism as I usually always try and do above what is expected. My favorite part of my job is looking after our guests in the store and making sure they start their day right!
Pros
Great Boss, Leadership roles, Know our regulars well, helps train new staff members
Cons
Have been there for almost four years and need a change
too much work for less pay
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
it is good when your team is good or you ending up doing everything.
No good raise in salary, no one will appreciate your hard work,
too much pressure to increase sales, asking to punchin item before the guest asks.
most enjoyable part id your guest will like you, and they will notice your efforts,you will have of of friends.
Pros
half price food
Cons
too much stress
fast pace enviroment
Server (Current Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ONSeptember 15, 2015
This is a very fast pace environment. There is no room for error. being able to organize and time management is a major asset. A typical day would be working in a double drive threw tim hortons. Where I am expected to carry out 2 or more different positions at once while maintaining a professional level at all times. Food safety and handling it very important. I really like this fast pace job but I need a real career that I can gain financial stability as a single mother for my children. I enjoy working with the public and I exceed the expectations for customer service.
Pros
benifits
Cons
not enough pay
fun place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  555 burnamthorpeOctober 24, 2015
A typical day at work was fun and energetic. I learned a variety of things while I was employed at Tim Hortons. I learned customer service skills and be able to work fast and efficient. Management at Tim Hortons was very poor. They would always treat people unfair and would book people for 17 hour shifts. My co-workers were a lovely bunch of individuals. They were always helpful. If you were uncertain about what to do, they would take their time and show you what to do. The hardest part working at Tim Hortons, was having to deal with rude customers on a daily. The most enjoyable part of a job was being able to work with an energetic group of individuals. I always looked forward going into work, because we had a great staff.
Pros
Free Hot Drinks
Cons
Having to sometimes work long hours
It's fairly enjoyable with a little stress but it is good for the time being.
Baker - I bake every Tim Hortons product (Current Employee) –  New BrunswickMarch 30, 2016
I go in, I start working right away. I work for about 4-5 hours per day usually 3-4 days a week with a day or two off. I bake the doughnuts, muffins, bagels, and etc. and ensure that each product is not past it's shelf life. It can be fun, some days it gets a little stressful when it's incredibly busy and everyone is nagging at me. The co-workers can be a little moody but not too bad all in all. The hardest part is cleaning everything and restocking everything by the end of my shift and finishing on time while also trying to maintain a full show case. The most enjoyable would be interacting with the co-workers and decorating the doughnuts.
Pros
Getting tips from customers
Cons
Not a great deal of opportunity for advancement in this job.
servicing customers one smile at a time
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCApril 5, 2016
As a supervisor I love being able to get work done efficiently using my leadership and motivating skills to not only get tasks done but I make sure my team and I exceed exceptions. Being a supervisor at a youth age has shown me I'm capable of so much more, and not only did I show management my effectiveness, but I made it clear that what I lack in experience, I make up for in work ethic. And being around amazing staff is a bonus, everyone is always cheerful and content, and that's what makes a good work environment. Only difficult situation we ever face I that one in a million customer who just happen to be having a tough day and tries to let tensions out of staff. But with the help of the supervisor or manager our staff is in good hands when such individuals approach.
Pros
nice staff
Cons
sometimes you encounter rude customers
Opportunity to work with people
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 15, 2016
A challenging job, needs a lot of attention to details. Fun with work with different personalities, nationalities and understand culture and improve people management skills.

Enjoy the daily interaction with co workers and the customers.
Pros
Free food and coffee
Cons
At times work at odd hours
Productive workplace, constructive, poor management.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Steinbach, MBMarch 17, 2016
A typical day at work is very fast paced no matter how busy or slow it may be. From this job i learned excellent communication skills, team building skills as well as leadership skills. Management could be much more approachable than they are, they often times set standards and expectations for even part time staff far too high. The hardest part of the job would be the extreme speed required when completing orders and the fact that my position never changes, therefore it is easier to get frustrated and worked up when things get hectic. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with customers and my coworkers as it is easy to build long term relationships with your community at this job!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Easy to get flustered doing the same job for 8 hours
fast paced work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONOctober 6, 2015
I enjoyed working at Tim Hortons, it was a fast paced work place and the day seemed to go by pretty fast. I enjoyed working with a lot of the employee's and the majority of the customers. My management could have been better, we always seemed to be out of product and it wasn't always fun telling that to the customers. Also it says 20 minutes fresh for a reason, and some employee's just didn't care.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits, no moving up and no raises