Tim Hortons Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 5,171 reviews matching the search
Fast pace in a customer service industry
Customer Service Respresentitive (Current Employee) –  35 King St E Hamilton,OntarioFebruary 5, 2016
A common day at Tim Hortons downtown Hamilton is usually a very busy with a very diverse customer base with many cultures and economic differences, and because of this you learn to be patient and open to others wants and needs. I work for a great management team very personable and compassionate to each employee and there individual needs and struggles. There is a wonderful team of hard working ladies who come to work everyday and give 110%
The is not a really head part to this job its very routine for the most part and I would say for me the only issue I have is money pretty much everyone makes minimum wage and there hasn't been raises given to anyone that I know of an I have worked for this owner for many years and that would be one of the reasons I am looking for a different job or possibly another job. The cost if living continues to increase but wages do NOT.
fun workplace,approachable
Food Counter Attendant / Baker (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABFebruary 23, 2016
the typical day for me in timhortons is weekend,i love doing busy hours because its more exiciting while doing your task and time flies.i learned how to communicate to staff in terms of our idea and skilled.management is good they giving the right salary according to our contract we sign specially some of the benefits is awesome. i have nothing to say about my co-workers they all good no culture barrier i like working with them specially in busy hours they keep on moving.the hardest part i think is the lost of communication specially when the product runs out thats the hardest part and we dont have a backup on that time.
Pros
50%discount all the staff
Cons
basic rates
Stressful, Tiring, and Fairly Degrading
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 20, 2016
I either get no shifts or too many, and most shifts are 9 hours, with a 10-15 minute break every 3 hours (except you'll probably be working most of it). The customers are 60% rude/uncooperative, and 40% decent. You get tips, which is alright, except you have to pool them together. Pay is $11/h (as a student), which is a bit above minimum wage. Job is fairly degrading, as you're cleaning toilets and have to smile at the customers swearing at you for not getting them a coffee in under 2 seconds. Management (for me, as a corporately-owned store) is a mess. Team work and A LOT of patience is required, and about 6 months in I couldn't stand the job. You get 15% off all food and free coffee/baked goods. There's a chance at a scholarship for school (if you're lucky). Overall, would not recommend. Ever.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Long hours, degrading, minimum wage
Great place to work!
Store Front (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ONMarch 14, 2016
I absolutely loved my time at Tim Hortons. It was a great experience. Only reason I left was that I went on my maternity leave and decided to stay home with my son. Every day was pretty much the same. We had great workers on each station that was good where they were. We were always busy. Our manager tried her hardest to get us the time off we needed. I definitely would go back.
Pros
great employees, awesome raises, great customers
Cons
grumpy people, long hours, on your feet all day
good experience
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 3, 2016
During the three months of working in Tim Hortons I have learned a lot about how to work under extreme pressure and at the same time keep yourself calm, composed and friendly. I have dealt with guests and colleague from various cultural backgrounds which taught me a great deal about Canadian norms and culture.
As a person, I am very social and so the most enjoyable part of my job is to interact with various individuals from different background and as I work in the morning shift so the hardest part is to maintain the accuracy as it's extremely busy at that time. I have managed quite well and in this short period I have received mystery shopper award twice. In short, it is a good place to start with.
Pros
friendly management
Cons
low salary
Alright work environment. Most staff were very welcoming and cheerful
Front Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Casselman, ONJanuary 18, 2016
It was alright working in that environment. I really like most of the staff i worked with. They were very welcoming and kind. I loved working with the customers and love how i could make there day better. Management was actually pretty good considering. They did not like their roll in management and you can see it as plain as day. The most enjoyable part of my job was when i was praised for my work, i just really did not like the fact there was no advancements there or raises.
Pros
free donuts (1 donut per staff a day) and 1 hot beverage per staff a day
Cons
No Advancements or raises
good first/high school job
Storefront Cashier/Baker (Former Employee) –  Essex, ONMarch 22, 2016
Tim Hortons taught me so much about customer services and how to be a good employee. The training was very good and the management always made the staff feel appreciated for the most part. For a high school job the pay and raises were pretty decent considering most high school students make only minimum wage.
Pros
having a reliable job with flexible hours
Cons
sometimes have to work the late shift
Pleasant work environment
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMarch 29, 2016
Tim Hortons is a busy fast food industry. We served lots of people in a day and we are expected to provide excellent guest service by ensuring accuracy, friendly and fast service. I;'ve been in Tim Hortons for three years now and I learned a lot from them. They are the ones who trusted in my capability to work for them as a foreign worker and see my potential to lead others. Management will give you the opportunity to learn and progress with your career. My co- workers also supports each other whether you are a typical staff member or member of the management team. If you love what you're doing there wouldn't be hardest part of job. The most enjoyable parrt of my work at Tim Hortons is that you are working with the people you are comfortable woking with and get the chance to be friends with lots of people because our regular customers. Even if you will meet this people outside tim hortons they will still smile at you.
Pros
free hot drinks and discounts
Cons
lower working hours
Good first job, provides lots of experience in handling food and people.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 12, 2016
A typical day at Tim Horton's starts out in various ways, you are given an assigned task and usually work this task and frequently switch to others as well. From working at Tim Horton's I have learned what it takes to work in a fast paced setting, how rewarding the job can be and also that it won't always be easy. The management of Tim Horton's is typically understanding in relation to school and extra-curricular activities and they work hard to make employees feel comfortable. The hardest part of the job may be how tedious the work is, but even then this is to be expected and does not pose as a problem. The most enjoyable part of the job is the various amount of people you meet and talk to throughout your day.
A fast paced job, but wonderful people to work with.
Tim Hortons Team Member (Former Employee) –  Middleton, NSMarch 1, 2016
A typical day at work involved serving customers, keeping the store clean, and closing procedures. I learned how to use my time wisely, adapt to stressful situations, keep calm and think clearly when under pressure, keep up with a fast pace during rush hours, get along with and work efficiently with co-workers. Management kept things running smoothly, supported staff but firm with what was expected and needed to be done. The co-workers were amazingly friendly, easy to get along with and pleasant to work with. The hardest part of the job was the fast paced aspect, trying to ensure that no one fell behind. The most enjoyable part was getting to know more about the other staff members and working alongside them.
Pros
Worked with amazing co-workers
Cons
Long hours, short staffed occasionally
There is always something to be doing in this fast paced environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Camden East, ONFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day at work as very stressful, there seemed to never be enough staff on the shift to handle the amount of tasks assigned as well as serve customers. Also, the majority of the staff were students and were unreliable. I learned how to problem solve and negotiate when dealing with people, everyone including managers, employees and customers. The communication between the management team is lacking, which tends to cause problems to trickle down to the lower rungs, leaving people unsatisfied with decisions or changes. The most enjoyable part of my job, was meeting all of my co-workers who I still plan to keep in touch with today, and I will never forget my experience at my first job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours, inconsistent hours
amazing co-workers
cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 27, 2016
The tim horton where i worked at, needed better management.
some of the staff would never show up, we were alway's short handed and alway's needed to work over time.

we were truly underpaid for the amount of work we would work for.
and if we did over time we would not get a meal out of it we would have to pay for it ourselves. the owner was severe on that.
no big deal just only if it was not every day and if we were given a head's up to bring our own meals.
i was a student who had school supplies and an apartment to pay, i couldn't afford to pay fast food meals every day.

some of my co workers were great people, i did make a lot of friends working there.
the tipping was great as we did give good service as alway's and we were well situated also.
Pros
1 free lunch
Cons
Long hours / a lot of overtime
Food Counter Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Camrose, ABFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day would consist of preparing and serving food and beverages, interacting with customers and operating tills. I have learned new ways to prepare food and different beverages. I gained some supervisor skills, and how be more productive and efficient in doing certain things. Management had its strong and weak moments. Overall I would say the management was good. I didn't really feel any part of the job to be too hard, besides maybe when everyone wanted to work in the same position. The most enjoyable part of the job is building a connection with regular customers, and that no two days were the same, each day provided new things and new experiences.
Pros
The teamwork
Cons
Long hours and early mornings
good benefits.. thats it.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 25, 2016
they promise you one thing and then you get the opposite. They act like they're family oriented, but that's only because the management team is all related. Any disgusting act gets covered up by a good old family member.. including dropping cups on the floor and using the 30second rule. Good people within as team members, but they get screwed around until they eventually quit. Can't rely on anyone. They dont even train you properly, but then treat you like you are stupid for not knowing. Worst experience ever.
Pros
Benefits were alright
Cons
No backup from management, pushed around, poor treatment, needs ignored. Liars.
fun workplace
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCFebruary 7, 2016
It was same work every night- but the good thing in night shift was, i was trained to all position in - baking, drive-thru, soup and sand and front line. The management was okay, but the only thing that i didn't like was the schedule. I was retained in night duty for almost the whole contract. My co-workers were very helpful as well as my managers. They are very approachable and there were camaraderie. It was amazing to work with different people and culture. They were so understanding and considerate. It was not hard to adapt their culture because they are very open to us.
Pros
there are some free foods and drinks
Cons
no rotation in schedule
Great Place to Work
TEAM MEMBER/BAKER (Former Employee) –  Bradford, ONApril 6, 2016
Good place to work unless you get stuck with management that harass you and humiliates you in front of other employees or customers. You get a yearly review and a raise depending on your past performance, which is nice.
Not so great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 6, 2016
Worked the front cash register part time while attending post-secondary. There was practically no learning except for the initial training video, and every time I asked to learn the baking, I was refused. After working for quite a few months, I found out my husband and I were expecting. Initially management was alright with it, but once I started to show I was treated very differently. One supervisor forbid me from taking short breaks, claiming that I should be able to work until I went into labor. At the time I was attending university full time, with another job on the side and going through a difficult pregnancy. Eventually I had to go on medical leave because I could not be on my feet longer than 6 hours and they refused to change my schedule. It was not worth it to risk mine and my child's health dealing with terrible management for minimum wage.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, low pay, terrible for pregnant women
I want work at Tim Hortons part-time and full-time
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMarch 8, 2016
always granted me time off if I requested it,Great Benefits, Great Leadership,They pay you State Minimum wage,I hate how rude customers can be it really brings down the mood,
Recommends
Positive Outlook
Approves of CEO
I want to work at Tim Hortons part-time and full-time
Pros
Great training, excellent team oriented environment, and an overall great place to work.
Cons
It is very hard to get promoted. When the store is quiet it can be very boring. Rotating hours, late hours and early hours.
Excellent experience!
Counter sales (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONApril 6, 2016
Good management, presence of job security, excellent co workers and managers, salary satisfactory, timely pay checks, good workplace ambience, co-operative customers.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks
Cons
i realy enjoy to work in Timhortons , until now.. but ineed to change my job, to increase my salary..
Crew member/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 19, 2016
My typical day at worked is so busy, need to focus every time for costumer service, I learn a lot like patient, accurate to serve, and faster to serve every costumer, Management will is ok. My co worker must to be friendly, and worked to be a Teamwork every single min. the hardest part of the job, is a time for Winter, it so frozen doing a Garbage out side, but is alright for me, because Im use to work in Tim's. always had a fun in Tim;s, specially during serving for the costumer..
Pros
the owner have always treat for the crew.. like the send for Lunch..
Cons
I like to work long hours..