Tim Hortons Employee Reviews

Found 6,336 reviews matching the search
Decent job for entry level working
Tim Hortons Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2017
My typical day at work is usually has me working early in the morning, and standing in one of three places usually for sometimes up to eight, or even nine hours. Dealing with messes on a daily basis, as well as hundreds of guests a day.

I have certainly learned how to manage myself more working here, and it certainly can leave one exhausted at times, but one learns to power on and not give in.

We have had a odd flow of management in the few years the place has been open, and their has been some good and some bad. It's a matter of learning to work hard to find a balance between staff and management.

The workplace culture is decent, but it could be better at times.

The hardest part of the job is the unexpected problems that pop up from seamingly nowhere, and can be difficult mentally at times. I find persevering through and talking about it helps sometimes.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having great team mates that one can depend on to have your back, and simply make the day go by much faster.
Pros
100 - 50% discount depending on food item.
Cons
Lack of worker protection at times
The other crew member is not bad most of them is nice
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 February 2017
My work is easy. In a week I only work weekend. I learned how to make coffee and others.I know how to earn money. The management is good. My workplace culture? Many of them is persian and we are 4 filipino. The other persian is not nice. The hardest part of the job is when you need to pick up the heavy thingy. The most enjoyable of the job is to make them happy especially the customers.
Pros
free lunch except sandwiches and bagels
working for Tim Hortons
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 October 2016
Working for Tim Hortons is both fun as well as stressful; you develop great multitasking skills, as well as communication skills. you learn to work with you coworkers as a team, and if someone having an off day everyone usually feeds off your energy and attitude. you create great friendships with your customers, learning their names, orders, and routines. customers make your day, but on the rare occasion they can as well ruin your day; but for the most part you always have a great shift.
Pros
customers, great hours, free tea
Cons
no raises, no promotions, sometimes poor management
Fun and Family Oriented Environment
Cashier/ Management in Training (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 November 2016
A typical day at work would be greeting and serving customer's. Making coffee and putting smiles on the faces that come to enjoy a warm cup of happiness. It is a happy place to work surrounded by joy and cheer. The holiday are always the best, receiving new treats to taste and all new drinks you get to sample. So that you have a better understanding of the product if the customer has questions. Management was always helpful and never lazy, while still being able to accomplish what they where required to do at the end of their shifts. They had a firm understanding of the rules but was sensitive to peoples needs when required. My favorite part of the job was the advancement and ability to move up on the chain.
Pros
Free Coffee (while at work)
Cons
Long Shifts
High-paced environment, great team
Evening Crew (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 February 2017
This job isn't very great at first, but once you settle into the routine and team, it becomes a lot more fun.

The customers are always interesting, and the teams you can get are always full of diverse people. The work itself isn't too hard, and you will always find something to do with what time you think you have free.

That said, this isn't the type of job where you will advance quickly, as you need to prove you're reliable and can give more then what is expected. Advancement will take time, but is worth it from what I saw in my time working for Tim Horton's. (I also admit advancement will differ store to store, so my opinion is based on the store I worked at.)

Overall, a Tim Horton's team member job is good, but if you're looking for something where advancements are fast-paced and harder-won, then this wouldn't be the job for you.
Pros
free coffee (when on break), free baked goods (when on break), staff discount when leaving for the day, lots of exercise when on-site
Cons
minimum wage to start, not very competitive, advancements take time
Fast past learning environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS6 January 2017
Typical day was fast past, continuous team work and everyone around supporting one another. Very competitive vibes but was made as fun as possible. Management was excellent, owner often popped in to check on the store and make sure we had what needed. hardest part of the job was being new and making adjustments.
Pros
Easy to pick up shifts
Cons
Long hours - sometimes double shifts
Great team, great environment.
Customer Service/Storefront Barista (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 November 2016
My shifts were well-balanced in terms of responsibilities and I always found that my days and nights flew by (a good sign).

I definitely learned the importance of time efficiency and teamwork when dealing with large numbers of customers. I discovered that I handle these challenges much better than I previously expected.

Management was great - very helpful, easy to talk to and ran things very professionally. Most of my co-workers were much the same, probably because they were well-screened.

Most difficult part of this job was trying to stay aware of my body's limitations. I ended up developing mild arthritis in my left wrist from pouring coffee for entire morning shifts. I had to learn to know when to switch it up after that.

Most enjoyable part of this job was the great people I met and the warn environment they created. It was an enjoyable work experience with good benefits; we were treated well.
my experience of working at tim hortons
Server (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 February 2017
come in early, serve coffee to a long line of customers. Ive learned people skills, how to bake, make coffee, multitask. management was alright, some people not. those who are not were power tripping and being unfair to some staff members, playing favourites. Hardest part for me was putting up with petty supervisors and the manager, taking a deep breath and not let it affect me or my service for customers. Enjoyable parts of the job were the other wonderful half of the staff, great regular customers, who make all the hard parts worth it!
Pros
50% off food, benefits, guanteed hours
Cons
many people in positions of power abuse it i.e power trip
management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON15 January 2017
A typical day started a 7 a.m. at the pick of rush hour. I learned how to handle customer complaints with patience, tact and understanding which enhanced my problem solving skills.. Learned how to better pay attention to details. Became more people oriented and developed excellent communication and negotiating skills. The most enjoyable part was during fundraising time raising funds camp.
And the hardest part was the standing for the entire shift except for the breaks. My management team was one of the best team to work with.
Pros
competitive wages
Cons
Standing for the entire shift
Productive and Fun Workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2016
At Tim Horton's I learned how to become a leader and embrace my communication skills. By motivating my fellow crew mates to meet our drive thru times and abide by Tim Horton's standard I could guarantee our guest's got the freshest coffee every time. I enjoyed helping train new staff, and getting our regular guest's coffee orders ready in advance; seeing the smile on their face and their warm welcome was the best part of my job. The hardest part of my job was being isolated by other staff because of ethnicity. The reason I had to leave was because often times I was excluded from conversations simply because I could not speak another language aside from English. It flabbergasted me, that I have been denied raises based on the economy or my age rather than my workplace capability. I would work at Tim Horton's again gladly if the exclusion was not present because I love the friendly fast paced work environment.
Pros
Friendly staff and guest
Cons
Long hours with only one 15 minute break
Kept busy with chores
Team Member/Store Front (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 February 2017
Working at Tim Hortons was very educational. It had long work hours but it kept you busy which made the day go faster. The management was not very organized. We wouldn't get our schedule until late in the week sometimes. They also changed the schedule without telling you. The store itself was not kept organized. We would have to run around looking for many things. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the shipments in the afternoon. The most enjoyable part of the job was my fellow employees who made the day fun.
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Great learning experience as a first job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON17 October 2016
Having to deal with customers can either be good or bad, but at the end of the day, working with a friendly environment allows everyone to have a good time working.
I learned that not everything will go exactly the way it should be, such as: meeting times serve per customer or just overall baking the needed items. Despite all, as long as everyone works together to fix the mistakes, everything can work smoothly.
As part of the management team, the ability to help others is not as easy as it sound, however with more experience, allows for one to be able to show those who don't fully understand, the right and proper way to do things.
My co-workers were fantastic. They all did what was needed to do, and we all had fun doing the job.
The hardest part of the job was just generally keeping up at the beginning when you're learning how to do things.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with fun co workers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Every Productive
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 February 2017
A typical day at work is usually fast pace but sometimes can get slow if customers do not really come to buy breakfast in the morning.

I learn that you always want to treat the customer good so that they feel welcome when they come to Tim Hortons and also want to show good customer service at all times.

The management at my location is every understanding when it comes to school they will work around my school schedule and vacations.

The workplace every multi-culture with many different part of the country.
Pros
Get good hours
Cons
It gets really slow on the weekends
Fast pace environment great for a first-time job for students
Caissière (Current Employee) –  Lassalle, QC5 December 2016
Honestly the only thing that kept me there were the tips, on a bad day I'd make 5 to 10 dollars whilst on a good day 15 to 25 dollars. But with the stress put on the employees to maintain a fast pace, & horrible customers its not a job for sensitive people. Also, it can be very dangerous, so if you're someone that doesn't wanna end up with burns & bruises or possibly injuring yourself off a wet floor just to serve a bagel with creme cheese under 60 seconds its not for you.
Pros
Tips (allowed in certain locations)
Cons
long hours, too demanding for low salary.
Fun work environment ONLY if coworkers are nice
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 July 2016
The pay is horrible for the amount of work you are expected to do, and it's nearly impossible to get a raise or advance your career here. The team members and management vary depending on the location but most locations are very rude. At my location the team members were alright and management was understanding at times, but not always. The company itself is horrible.
Environment is very stressful and expectations are ridiculous! You get paid minimum wage for a large and excessive amount of work and stress. The staff discount is horrible and they don't put a single ounce of trust in their employees, basically treating them like criminals.
Pros
Flexible work hours if you don't make anyone mad
Cons
The pay versus the expectations, anount of work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB3 October 2016
I would take orders from Customers, make the drinks and get the pastry's if they ordered any. Drive Through was back and forth of getting drinks, keeping up with Orders and also Doing our Secondary's. I learned that Sanitation is important, as well as how you work with your co-workers because if you can't work well you won't be productive. As well as how you treat the customers. The Management wasn't very good, I was treated badly for no reason. I worked well with my co-workers so we got through orders fast. The hardest part of the job was always being treated badly when I was doing everything I was doing right. The most enjoyable was when I got to see the Customers happy, as well as being able to do things that I've never done or learned before.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Its a good starting job and had pretty good experience.
team member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 June 2016
My typical days at work is good, sometimes not but for sure it happens all the time. I managed to adjust myself with all different types of people of different culture, of different raise. I learned to appreciate simple efforts, simple gestures of appreciation, stay positive and head's up although the situation is disappointing. I learned that valuing the cant's and cans of a person helps us grow in the most effective kind of manner. Management isn't understanding enough so it's not that worth of too much time and effort. Co-workers are a mix of good, better, best and worst which is usual. Hardest part is you are not that motivated because you don't feel like you were appreciated but on the brighter side, there are few who sees your worth.
Overall Excellent Service
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS5 November 2016
my typical day at work is usually normal routine and if you work hard you get it done quicker easier smooth ride through the rest of the day. I learned a lot about the differences between the coffee and the produce.Management was an alright thing for me it was consistent. The hardest part of the job was making and remembering the order of which goes when.The most enjoyable part was working with a diverse arrangment of co-workers who were as happy and as proud to be at work and doing their job as I was
Pros
Free Lunches, Fast Food Service
Cons
long hours, cold air
Busy enviornment
Tim Hortons Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 December 2016
Not very good with raises and advancements. But good for planning with your schedule. and working around it. Good friends and good culture. Discount on food items. Day goes by fast and hours are always there if you want them. altho they can sometimes cut them
positive nature at work with co-employees. store is always busy which is a good thing making the work more productive.
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ON18 November 2016
It was always busy especially during weekends. I've learn how to deal with major adjustment with the weather and culture. The management thought me a lot on how to handle problems with customers, also how to multitask during busy hours. my co-workers were considerate when it comes to being professional. The hardest part was working with a few people. I most enjoyed being with team because it felt like we are a family.