Tim Hortons

4.6K reviews

Tim Hortons Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Wasn't the worst, but was definetely more bad than good
beverage maker (Former Employee), GTAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours, random hours, stressful, extremely fast paced
After working at Tims for about a month and a half/two months, I knew I was done. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a person who complains a lot; in fact, no matter how much I disliked the job from the beginning (it was not what i expected at all), I never voiced those opinions and attempted to be cheery. I was always nice to customers, got mostly good feed back (other than my speed of service had to improve but me being slow was expected cause i had just started). And I knew for a fact I was a lot nicer and generally more willing to learn than some of the other workers, who baffled me with the shocking extent of their social ineptitude.

however, that didn't ultimately end up mattering and this job pushed me to my limits to the point when i eventually got fired months later, I actually cried of happiness.

Strange right? Well let me break it down for you.

You're paid min wage, which seems alright at first. Until you realize that your typical day is 1) mind numbing-ly boring (there are no customers and your boss will make you do something for the sake of doing something even though there is genuinely nothing to do) , or; 2) too fast-paced and stressful (dozens of customers coming in a the same time and the line is never ending). There will never be a day in the middle; it's either one end of the spectrum or the other with the same result: you're praying your shift will end. I felt this especially when it was going too fast, as you start to develop anxiety, nervous, etc, as you're expected to serve your guest before the cashier hands them back their change (which will happen in – more... about 30 seconds. Ironic, considering, some drinks take up to a minute to make).

The management was ok. I don't think I had any issues with them, even though they let me go after only a couple
of months. Though what I will not forgive is the fact they attempt to cram in so much unpaid training within a relatively short period of time when you first start - meaning you're expected to complete fifteen hours worth of training videos on your time, before or after work, regardless of your other commitments, like school, family, etc

I know I was a uni student in a particularly tough science program and they wouldn't accommodate me at all, even though they promised they would when i was interviewed and stated my hours.

I liked most of my co-workers. It's mostly younger folk, though there are a few older people. Though some co-workers manners when dealing with customers (yet were not fired instead. Not that I wanted to keep the job, I really didn't, I just don't understand sometimes how workers with good attitudes can get fired over someone who is completely rude, unwilling to change, but is a faster learner?)

a typical day encompasses making sandwiches, beverages, or cleaning. they all pose risks, which you can honestly avoid about 87-90 percent of the time. though you have to accept the fact you will burn yourself a couple of times each month with coffee or tea or, less frequently, the oven. (however, you don't cut yourself by accident that often. and the cleaning is disgusting; I did it, but looking back at it, it was not worth it, especially with how they treat you.

also, watch out for trainers. they can either be nice or cruel. for me, while most of mine were nice (which i'm still appreciative for), there was one in particular that was unnecessarily rude. I was really sick one day, came in, made a few mistakes as I was just feeling completely disorientated and of, and he unleashed a huge verbal attack on me in front of my co-worker (who was equally at fault for the wrong order) that almost left me in tears. I've never felt so humiliated in my entire life and don't know why he singled me out.

shortly after this incident i was fired. I know it wasn't a coincidence, though I'm happy I get to leave such a toxic environment

overall, i'd give my tims location 4/10, though others definetely are a 6/10 and the best/rare ones are probably a 7/10. moral of the story: Don't work here if unless you can handle a stressful and sometimes unpleasant environment. If you're unprepared, it will drain you emotionally and physical and you will become depressed. – less
Helpful co-workers, but an entry-level at it's finest.
Customer service and order taking (Former Employee), Penetanguishene, ONAugust 31, 2015
Pros: Lunch coupons, flexible hours, decent pay and benefits (for students), excellent management team and employees, modest environment, calm breaks, free coffee and 1/2 off discounts.
Cons: Long hours, disgruntled customers (sometimes, also sometimes very rude customers), physically demanding (on your feet a lot), salary for long-term employees can be very low (minimum wage, for those with children to feed and mortgages to pay).
Working at Tim Horton's was a very extraordinary experience, don't get me wrong. Although, like every job now and again, it has its downs.

The ups are simple; hard-working and helpful employees, modest and caring management, vast amounts of experience to be had, and an overall almost free-like environment (besides not being able to go home and read a book instead, although there is plenty of time during breaks and before and after shifts, so that makes up for it).

The downs, however, are a little more complex.
Complex in the sense of a worker's needs, that is. The salary is minimal, barely the cost of living for some. Defining itself as an entry level job for most (students, young-adults, etc.) it is actually a very good salary. However, for others it is a permanent career, and this (as I've seen) has proved to be a very demanding life-sentence.

Life-sentence may be a very crude term, and I mean the company no disrespect. Mainly because, although those people are stuck there, at least they are somewhere.

This world has become so determined on humans being extraordinary at everything, and having the education to back it up. Tim Horton's cares enough about their employees that they do not discriminate due to education, race, gender, or any other quality, which is something to love about them.

But back to the salary(and benefits). Whether you are a student looking for a summertime job or out of school and looking for a place to help pay rent, Tim Horton's is the place for you. Minimum wage is the usual salary, with exceptions to long-term employees (who could be – more... making anywhere from a quarter more and up) and supervisors and management (who get paid a small percentage more than Storefront and Bakers). The benefits, although I am unclear on point-by-point which benefits are available (things can change), I am sure that YOU decide which benefits suit your needs/the needs of your family.

All in all, take the job. If Tim Horton's calls you, think of the perks; it's money in your pocket, flexible hours, a loving and helpful environment (sometimes full of laughter), and the benefits are actually very decent (not to mention the free lunch coupons we would receive due to good Drive-Thru times and the 1/2 off discounts before, during and after work). The only thing to keep in mind after all of that, is the customers. Always smile, and always make sure your guest is happy and wants to come back again. Otherwise, well...

...let's just say some choice words have been used before. Mainly on their part (in my case), but sometimes (as I've witnessed), even on the employee's part. – less
Depends on location but the cheapness of corporate permeates all levels.
Trainer and Team Member (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONOctober 14, 2013
Pros: woo 30% off when you're working such a big deal, free steeped tea
Cons: long day, short breaks, hurts feet, bugs in the store, bees/wasps outside, rude customers, following the tdl rules, being forced to upsell, "no leaning"
TDL has ridiculous rules that unfortunately as an employee you're forced to follow. Used to be 2 pieces of bacon per bagel, now it's one and half - waste of time cutting the bacon strips up and a small example of the stingyness within the corporation. You're forced to watch a load of videos at the start of your training and throughout your employment - all of which are boring and a joke. One's called "The Art of Coffee" and about every six months you get to watch it - like you don't already know how to make a double double by then or like you give a dang. The store does not care about you - they (managers, supervisors, coworkers) know that you will be gone eventually and that you are replaceable. There is always someone waiting for a 10.25 job and those are the people Tim's hires - those who can't make it anywhere else. Lots of coworkers are slackers who could never give it there all ever and live in anticipation of the weekend when they can spend their money on booze, smokes, and drugs at the bar. Makes wonderful company. At least the part time high schoolers all have dreams usually.

Customers can be real jerks. But there are also the nice ones and some of them can make a huge difference in the day. The good thing about customers is that they drive away eventually - you don't like them, they'll leave and someone else will be there. It's the coworkers that can ruin the experience and have for me. People calling in sick on the fly isn't anything new, you often work understaffed and at my location on Crawford Drive in Peterborough, ONT, there is a desperate need for people yet – more... no one wants to work there. Lots of sweeping, mopping, doing garbages, dishes, and other fun stuff. The menial work is bearable for the paycheck - your feet will hurt at first but you get over it. You learn how to sharpen your interpersonal skills and deal with all sorts of situations, it gives you an idea about how all fast food joints are run and how it's employees are treated. There are important lessons but there's also stupid ones like 1.5 pieces of bacon. Discount is only 30% during your shift, helps a bit but really you shouldn't eat the food. It's all frozen in the back, loaded with carbs and sugars that only ruin your life. It is what is. I was okay with it at first but after a year it wears on you and you have to move on or be miserable forever. – less
Fun place to work if you can keep up and have a fun attitude
Front Counter Staff (Former Employee), ChilliwackJanuary 17, 2013
Cons: no discount and have to wait in lines to get food
Typical day, come in see where night staff are going to go and who on days we have left, if i can starts stocking and get everything filled to it's max withing the first hour, if i can't stock then i would have usually been in drive through or soup and sandwich. Around 5 when breaks start if i am not already in drive through then i would put on a head set and cover for the girls who are going on their breaks, and take mine as well, then i would make a list of chores that needed to get done and leave it on the counter where the girls could see it and then periodically check in to see what has been done and by whom, during this time when the other girls are doing chores i would usually be in the back helping the baker do the nightly sort in the freezer and then making sure all prep was completed for the next day. Between 7 and 10 when we start to loose staff, i put a head set on and do drive through when needed and run around and clean things like the lobby and bathrooms, and make sure that after our dinner rush that things are still stocked to acceptable levels. On certain nights this is the time when we would do our extra cleaning jobs, like the ice caps, the ceiling vents,the walls, the vent hoods. We also would during this time do the break down of the showcases ( put everything together so it all fits in one showcase and clean both showcases out) we are also doing all the dishes, switching over all the soups and taking them off for the night, as well as making sure the nightly logs were kept up, this is a typical night at tim hortons.
I learned patience, from tim hortons,with – more... working with others in a timed environment you just have to learn at times to let things go because some times what they are capable of may not be as fast as you want it to be, but you have to recognize that they are still doing their job and that is all you can ask for.
I learned how to delegate tasks,i use to be the type of person that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself (still am to a degree), but learned that it is not practical to do that and so i learned how to delegate tasks to others and then follow through with that person to make sure that the job was done.
I also refined my communication skills, there is a difference between talking with the general public and talking with co workers and friends, and talking to co workers when the general public is around. i guess it could also be called awareness of the surroundings.
co workers were fun to work with most days, some of the younger girls( 16-20) would decide that some days they didn't want to work so it was frustrating to have to deal with someone who clearly was not pulling their weight and was bringing the rest of us down because we would have to pick up that slack.
The most enjoyable and hardest part of the job was the customers, some days they were just never happy, you say or do the smallest thing wrong and they were not happy, or they were just difficult to deal with from the start. But most days they were pleasant, you got to know the regulars and could have little conversations about lives and interests. – less
A work place with great customers, but not so great work,
Store Front (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 5, 2015
Pros: Discount on food during work and could use tips to pay for food (usually)
Cons: See Review for details.
The Tim Hortons I worked at was not as good as I first though it was, and allow me to say how.
I learned how to serve people fast and efficiently while being concerned about my coffee, and ensuring I have sufficient products on display. I learned more ways on how to maintain cleanliness and an organized station through the different methods that Tim Horton's suggested to be taken place throughout the restaurant. With my night shift experience, I learned and understood the strains and importance of making sure everything was done on time, for if things weren't done on time, the morning became a terrible nightmare some mornings. My Co-workers were occasionally selfish in a general manner, and seemed to forget about the task at hand. Instead of per say, stocking the cups and lids that are 3/4 empty, they would rather gossip about other individuals within the store and other customers when the time came. Their sole purpose was not to make the customer experience grand, but to ensure that customers could not arrive to do business so that standing around and doing nothing was tolerable. Customer experience and "setting the standard" was only truly focused on drive-thru personnel, which included the members of drive-thru and usually bagel counter who were apart of that friend clique that ensured an almost impenetrable fortification that you could never enter without recognition of being "like them". If you were involved with their friend clique, you were more than likely safe of being fired because usually supervisors were responsible for starting their friend groups, Management was – more... okay. I can't say too much bad with them, perhaps from my co-workers perspectives, but for my perspective, they did pretty good. The hardest part of the job I would suggest is the maintenance and cleaning. Due to the fact that I was the guy, I got told to take out the garbage and grinds almost every single weekend shift until I mentioned the unfairness as it wasn't a single designated task that was assigned to me specifically. It might be apart of my job, but its not my full and dire responsibility to do so. The most enjoyable thing about working at Tim Horton's in general.. is the chance to meet some fantastic people. I got to know many regulars, and had the chance to make a lot of customers days, and for that, I am proud. – less
Okay place to work, would not reccomend
Team Member (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Staff discount, $2 meal plan
Cons: Long shifts, really short breaks
A typical day at Tim Horton's includes helping customers or constantly cleaning when you're not doing that.
Drive thru in the mornings is horrible. They have window times of 25 seconds and under no matter how big the order is. They'll have one person on window, one person on orders and one person to make drinks. Being the person to make drinks in the morning is the most stressful job. You have to make all the drinks for every order, refill the coffee pots whenever they empty, keep everything stocked and still have all the drinks ready within the 25 second window time. And the window person is breathing down your neck for the orders to be done extremely fast. Till is a little bit easier but in the mornings it can still be very hectic.
During the evening shifts from like 8 to 10 pm it's almost completely dead, and the supervisors are constantly telling you to be cleaning. And when I mean constant it's like the very second you finish a job they'll start getting mad at you and telling you to do something. And if everythings not perfectly clean by 10 pm when the graveyards start they get really mad at the evening shift workers for not getting everything cleaned even if it was a busy night.
Trainee's are treated like completely garbage just because they're new. It was my third shift there and they put me on drive thru in the mornings.
They have a meal plan where they take $2 off your paycheck everytime you work but you get to eat anything you want during your breaks and honestly that was the best part of the job.
The breaks are extremely short. If you work 4 – more... hours you don't even get a break. At 5 hours it's only 10 minutes, and 15 at 6 hours. 8 hour shifts you get only one break that's a half hour long that you don't get paid for. It makes the hours feel extremely long.
Most of the people who work there are teenagers so being friends with your coworkers is always fun because of it.
Management didn't really care if you had a life outside of work. They would never listen to the availability I would give them and would be expected to work that shift if no one would cover or switch with me even if it said I couldn't in my availibility. You have to call like 3 hours in advance if you can't come into work. Which is reasonable if you work like a evening shift. But when I work a 7 am shift it's completely unreasonable to be calling in at 4 in the morning to say I can't work. And if you call in the sick after that they'll make you come and ask for a doctor's note. Like if i'm just at home with the flu i'm not gonna go to the doctor's office because I know it's just the flu.
In my opinon it's not a very good place to work. The best part of the job was my co-workers and talking with the regulars that came in. – less
Crazy ride and long hours but now that I'm gone I'm missing my tims family!
Supervisor/Baker (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONJuly 6, 2014
Pros: high number of hours available every week
Cons: long shifts, low pay, next to no benefit/advancement
My experience of Tim Hortons, as chaotic as it was, is one I miss. It's been a couple months that I have been gone but whenever they release a new product I still catch myself saying "we" instead of "they", it feels like I lost a family. At a job like that, team work and communication is a key asset and while working here it was like we were all apart of a machine, you had to be using both hands as fast as you can while knowing where everyone else is in order to dodge them, plus accommodate their needs. It is definitely an environment where you need to be able to easily be able to pick things up quickly, it was able to challenge and push me to be able to do better. I looked forward to going into work, not only because it was the professional environment I needed to flourish but because everyone is close friends there. With only a limited staff list everyone had spent many hours together, so after your first week of adjusting you will be non stop laughing on shift, definitely the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part would have been the transition from team member to supervisor, in the beginning it was a struggle to get there, I love her to death but my manager would undermine me so all the employees thought there wasn't any weight behind my words and I even had to force her to train me certain things because she would constantly forget. And it's situations like that that'll clearly demonstrate a persons social skills, I wasn't the kind of person who would let anything stop me from succeeding at my job and I had to break from being their buddy when we were at work – more... and become an extension of management as I liked to call it. This break was the hardest part of my job, but through it I was able to gain the leadership knowledge I now possess. By the time I had to quit I had gone through a journey in that store, many people can't handle food service jobs but to me it wasn't the job that mattered. I just wanted something I could give my all and commit myself too and Tim Hortons gave me all that, which is why any review I could ever write about it would only be glowing. – less
Not for everyone
Barista/Server (Former Employee), London, ONApril 11, 2015
Pros: Great opportunity to network and meet others
Cons: Can be physically and emotionally draining
Before we begin reviewing one of North America's leading companies within the coffee industry, let me start by saying Tim Hortons is not a bad company to work for if you're looking for an opportunity to gain workplace experience or just starting to venture out into the employment world. Due to the fact that each location is a franchise, no two experiences will be the same and what it boils down to is your Management team.

Here's the good news - One of the keys to a successful franchise is teamwork, because let's be honest, without employees working together to accomplish set targets and goals which in turn drive sales and keep guests coming back, it would only be a matter of time until stores would lose money and meet their untimely demise soon thereafter. With the right management team and a positive attitude, you can do well in this position and move up relatively quickly. Employees also receive tips which can range anywhere from $1 to $10 daily, based on the amount of staff scheduled that day.

Here's the bad news - This job is not for everyone and can be physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting at times. In order to maintain that competitive edge over other businesses, employees are required to work twice as hard in half the amount of time, all while maintaining a positive attitude and being paid minimum wage. As a former manager myself, there were times when it was necessary to overwork employees in order to meet the targets set in place by Head Office. (in order to attain this your Management Team MUST work with their employees)

Overall this position would – more... be ideal for someone who loves to take on new challenges, isn't afraid to get their hands dirty, thrives off of the energy of a fast-paced environment, and who enjoys the customer service field while accepting the fact that you cannot please every single person who walks through those doors. Whether or not you feel as if this would be a great opportunity for you to pursue, one of the most important things to remember in any profession is to take time to breathe. Good Luck! – less
Busy work with many responsibilities
Baker (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 15, 2015
Pros: Never boring, always had something to do
Cons: Always running around, it gets tiring
The typical day was busy, preparing food to ensure all the shelves are stocked. Not only that, but all the storefront employees would call back to the bakers for any item they needed, which we would then need to get for them. There would usually be 3 of us in the back but we were expected to make due with just 2. We would also need to record everything we prepared or sent to the front. We would also need to record the temperature of all temperature sensitive items (ensuring chicken was cooked or the soup was hot enough). Also, regular cleaning of the kitchen was required to prevent contamination. Every morning was very busy so juggling these tasks kept us running around all day. Strong communication between bakers was needed to ensure product was not prepared or recorded more than once. Furthermore, we would help each other out so we could complete all of our tasks efficiently. When the rush ended, we would clean the heavy-duty equipment and floors of the kitchen, while still completing or other duties.

The skills I learned the most from this are time management and working as a team. Time management was essential to complete all of the tasks for the day, it was easy to fall behind on work and it would then become very difficult to catch up. One way we were able to effectively complete all of our tasks was to work with my co-workers to avoid redundancy. If one baker was recording product, he or she would usually also record product that the other bakers needed to record, but were too busy to at the moment.

I felt that management was generally not very supportive of the – more... staff. They were quick to scold us and rarely praised us. This was especially demoralizing because I felt we were all working very hard.

I very much enjoyed working with my co-workers. The other bakers were friendly, funny and really helped me complete my tasks at work. The storefront employees were also very friendly, I felt that I could talk to any of my co-workers. I still talk to some of my co-workers.

The hardest part of my job was simply keeping on top of everything. It was very busy and we had a lot of responsibilities. The bakers were always running around in the back. The work wasn't particularly hard, but it was plentiful and time-consuming.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when we did a job well done. If we managed to keep the store stocked up fully, never missed a call from the front, recorded everything perfectly and kept the kitchen spotless, then I went home with a great feeling and very satisfied. However, sometimes I felt like I deserved recognition for work which I considered above and beyond, though I didn't always receive it. – less
Awful experience
Cashier (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 14, 2013
Pros: discount on some items (only while i was working)
Cons: long hours, managers weren't pleasant, constant stress
I was so excited to start working at Tim Horton's. Growing up, I always dreamed of working there, not expecting how demanding and stressful it would be. My training consisted of 12 hours of video training, and then three four hour training shifts (which were at night time on a weekday, so I got little to no training). After those three days, I was on my own. They expected me to know everything inside and out. I went to work everyday filled with anxiety because I didn't want to face my coworkers or costumers.
I basically trained myself, and I thought I was pretty great at it. They then decided to change the whole ordering layout, so I had to relearn everything I just taught myself. I thought I was doing great, until I heard rumours outside of the work environment that nobody liked me. They all thought I was annoying and slow, keep in mind I had only worked there for about a month and a bit. My bosses kept shortening my shifts, giving my shifts away and started getting short-tempered with me. Fast forward to a month later, I heard a rumour going around my school (on a Wednesday afternoon) that I was getting fired. I called in to talk to my managers, which I was never able to get a hold of. I decided to leave it, and the next time I went into work I worked my butt off- by that I mean I was taking orders left to right, running around getting everything for everyone, while all of the other coworkers stood around talking about their weekend plans. That day, my manager told me I was getting fired. I informed her that I already knew on Wednesday, and then informed me that she hadn't – more... made the decision until Friday night. What this told me was that the managers (who are supposed to keep things confidential) were telling employees about my status at work- they did not once confront me about my work habits or even bothered to mention anything; they went and talked badly behind my back. I also found out that I got tips from customers, which I did not find out until after I was fired (one of the many things they did not inform me about). I was never so happy to leave, and if they hadn't of fired me, I would have quit myself. – less
hectic, disorganized, stressful place to work. Not worth the minimum wage.
cashier, drive-thru, cook (Former Employee), AlbertaJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: friendly staff, time passes by fast, almost always get requested day off
Cons: terrible managment/owner, long hours, cranky customers
As I have looked at the many reviews, I am so confused by all the positive ones! My experience working at Tim Hortons was awful and they treated their employees with zero respect. Maybe experiences differ with the store managers and store owners a little bit.

HOWEVER, there are universal cons to this job. For one, most of Tim Hortons customers are ALWAYS in a bad mood, especially when the lines are long (always are). They are always in a rush to be somewhere important. No room for mistakes in this fast pase environment. **there probably were more friendly cutomers, but at the end of the day, you will not remember them****
Management and costumers expect perfection (just like in the commercials) which is absolutely impossible when you work as the cashier, and do all the tasks to complete the order, including making the food (drive-thru was the worst!) Not to mention how cranky people get when their favourite donut, timbit, or bagel is out of stolk for the moment! Ouch! Multi tasking is a must for this job and there is no room for mistakes. Turnover rate is impressive, actually. Seems like every week someone quits and is replaced by a new 14 year old high school student.

Like any starter jobs, the schedualing is incredibley ambiguous. You never know what shifts you will have a week in advance. Many co-workers speak english as a second language, work was very difficult for them, few customers cut them some slack. Tim Hortons employees give everything they've got, yet will NEVER do anything right. Also, I'm pretty sure only having a 15 min break during an 8 hour shift + overtime – more... is illegal...

Thanks for the experience Timmy Ho, I now have the upmost respect for the workers there. Glad I quit!! – less
Busy with new experiences everyday
Store Front (Current Employee), Lower Sackville, NSApril 14, 2015
Pros: Seeing the regular customers and learning about their everyday lives
Cons: being stuck with the stereotype of a student part time worker: Incompetent
I usually start working at 7 am, where I will start off by helping out with the morning rush of customers for breakfast. After breakfast calms down I bake the food for the store, and keep track of inventory out back. I sweep and mop, do dishes, count tips, do tills when asked or needed, can be trusted to over see other employees if a manager is not on shift, and I have to set up the baking station for the next shift coming on. I have learned a lot working at Tim Horton's over the last five years, like how to respond to difficult situations. I am able to calmly diffuse a lot of situations that may seem as though they could get worse. I am more understanding now of other part time workers, which has led me to be more patient than I have ever been. Management is perfect for me, going to school full time and still having to work, its been very easy to create a schedule that works for me and my store. The hardest part of my job would be getting yelled at for multiple things that I have no control over, if our icecap machine breaks, our internet is down, if a shipment of a particular tea hasn't come in, etc. I have learned to not take it personally and to let the customer explain why they are mad or frustrated, and to then allow them to either receive information from myself or my manager. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with most of the customers that come in on a daily basis, mainly because you build a connection with them. To the point where you learn about their families, their wives, their pets, and just how their days are going in general. Although – more... everyday isn't as enjoyable as most, working here has taught me many things about myself and has allowed me to obtain certain skills I wouldn't have gained anywhere else. – less
Fast Paced but Enjoyable Nonetheless
Employee/Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond HillJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: free drinks at the end of a shift!
Cons: fast pace can be stressful!
A typical day at Tim Horton's was, get in uniform, punch in, and check the board for the work duty you would perform for the day. It could be anything from drive thru coffee maker, to front cashier, to bagel bar (making sandwiches and bagels), and your side duty would be either clean the washrooms, mop the floors, restock the fridges and dried goods or runner (get the side parts of orders such as a ten pack of Tim bits or a chocolate milk from the fridge). You had to be quick about everything, from the way you spoke and filled an order to cleaning and taking orders from customers to maintaining overall good customer service.

I learned how to complete orders to the best of my ability with haste. I learned how to prepare various types of sandwiches and beverages as well as how to restock them when the materials used to make them ran low. I also learned how to provide excellent customer service by tone of voice, pace and body language (smiling).

Management was tough and professional. My managers were all strict when it came to rules and regulations and motivational when it came to being quick. They all expressed a concern with customer service and fast service.

My co-workers were mostly pleasant and easy to work with and together as a team. Each one of them had something valuable to bring to the workplace.

The hardest part of the job is obvious, the fast pace. It was stressful at first to keep up with everybody else who were already well adjusted to the pace of the work. It was difficult to always meet the expectations of the managers, they had very high expectations and no – more... one was exempt from them.

Drive thru coffee is by far the fastest place to be stationed and my favourite because time passes so quickly when you work there during the "rush" hours and times of the day. The other enjoyable portion of the work was the relationships I made and had working at Tim Horton's. The workers were pleasant and positive whenever I was down or stressed one of them would always find the right thing to say to cheer me back up! Overall an excellent experience in a fast paced food-chain workplace. – less
A friendly work environment.
Cashier/Sandwich Artist (Current Employee), Ancaster, ONAugust 6, 2013
Pros: easy, stressfree, nice co-workers and management.
Cons: only one break, and not enough pay.
Tim Hortons is a great company to work for, the management team is great and takes good care of it's employees, and I got along very well with most of my co-workers.
We are scheduled for 8.5 hour shifts, with an unpaid 30 minute lunch break. What I like most about the job is that it is very straight forward and stress free, once I punch out, all of my troubles are gone and I don't have to bring my work home with me.
The hardest part would be the customer service aspect. Dealing with customers and their complaints, it has become a skill to calmly talk to them about their problems and rectify them to their expectations. I find that the expectations some people have about their Tim Hortons can be a little ridiculous, and people get mad over silly things. For example, one man got mustard instead of honey mustard on his sandwich, and his reaction was to yell loudly and cause a scene, then demand a new sandwich, as well as a full refund for his entire order. Cases like this, we have to give them what they ask for, because the customer is always right, but it's hard to not show your frustration and keep a smile on your face while being yelled at and belittled. The location I work it is in a very well-to-do area of town, and I'm not sure if that has any effect on our customers, I feel that it does, they seem to have a sense of entitlement which they don't think applies to us. Most days we are treated by many people as if we are beneath them, just because we make their morning coffee. They forget we are people too.
All in all, I do enjoy my job for the most part, but I feel it is time – more... to move forward, Tim Hortons is not where I want to spend my life building a career, it has helped me get by, but I am looking for something more. It is very hard to live an adult life style with rent and bills to pay while only earning minimum wage. – less
Awesome place to work at, with great supervisers and collegue who are both supportive and helpful
Storefront team member (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 23, 2015
Pros: discount of Tim Horton products
Cons: late working time
-Like the sweet smell of donuts and the taste of coffee? Enjoy providing fast, effective and affable to customers. That is the kinda of working environment you will be facing once employed by Tim Horton.
-A typical day will be: very busy (with dozens of customers lined up) at eating time, and really quiet after those time has past, especially quiet in the early morning and later night
-The most valuable knowledge that I have gain after working at Tim Horton is how to talk, interact with customer in a quick yet non-rushing/pressing manner. Different customers have different value, attitude and temper, therefore one needs to find a way to interact with them while trying to not offend them.
-Co-workers are great! Most of them (if not all) have become my friends and still keep in touch with me. When I first started working at Tim Horton, the co-workers are very supportive and helpful, helped me in memorize donuts name and sometime even take order for me. I find myself following their example after I became familiar with all the product, helping the new employees when they need my help, guess kindness is contagious!
-The hardest part of the job is really when there are a lot of customers and you have to work with both extreme speed and accuracy. As human is not perfect, it is very easy for workers to make mistakes and when it happens, everything just seems to fall apart: as you apologize to a half angry customer and trying to catch up with your work, 10 other customers begin to lose their patience for waiting for too long and just as you almost serving all of them, you notice – more... that there is no more coffee because the drive through co-workers have taken them away...
-The most enjoyable part of the job will be talking to customers. I am someone who like to communicate with people, therefore, after serving the customers, it is always tempting to start a little chat with them (of course, this depend on the availability of time for both them and me). – less
Productive and fast passed Environment
Supervisor (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 9, 2013
On a daily bases, help front counter with coffee, help lunch counter with food orders, assisting drive thru for smooth and fast service, as well as supervisor duties covering breaks and chores, replenishing tills with change, giving coaching discussions(write ups) when applicable as well as occasional baking.
I learned to work in an stressful fast passed environment where I can be in demand at any time, for example, on a Friday morning it is the busiest day of the week, we have large orders called in days in advance and big orders from customers in line. On these days anything can go wrong and to be able to manage my time to complete these orders while helping customers in line and be on call to the rest of the staff for assistance can be very hectic and demanding.
Working with management and staff both is no different. Working with Management has never been an issue for me, they may have a higher authority to myself, but they are people and they can make mistakes, so I am not under any extra pressure while working with them. If I ever have a question or I am not to sure how to deal with a situation I am comfortable seeing my Manager and Assistant Managers for assistance.
For me, I have always found giving someone a coaching discussion(write up) hard, even though i understand the importance of these notes it is always hard to see someone cry or get upset.
My most enjoyable aspect of my job, are the staff and the customers, being able to joke around and make them smile and brighten someones day makes it a good day. Most of the regulars love to have me serve them, even some of – more... the grumpy ones say they enjoy my smile and fast and accurate service, I have had a customer come in, in a bad mood, later in the afternoon she came in and thanked me for making her day with my cheerfulness and happy smile as well as the smiley face I put on her cup reminded her all day of her encounter with me that morning. Knowing I can have that big of an impact on someones day makes my days meaningful. – less
Productive and Fast Pace Timmies' with a Staff Room to Boot!
Soup & Sandwich Prep Worker / Night Shift Worker (Current Employee), Tillsonburg, ONDecember 6, 2012
Pros: everything in the showcase and all hot drinks are free
Cons: get super busy& not enough hands on deck
My day starts off with seeing that the oatmeal gets put on for our morning customers........seeing the stoves get turned on and have the required amounts of water that is needed for each pot. Then I always receive from my soup and sandwhich person of the day a list of required food items they need in order to do their job.

My co-workers are special people. We all aim to put our best foot forward when starting off our shift. With myself included, we all try to remember that there is no "I" in team work.

My management is always concerned about each area running smoothly or running hardly at all. This includes my area: the soup and sandwhich preparation area. We work well together overall.......aiming to please that customer walking in the front door right nowl.

You are always learning! From the timing of when you do each task to the order of when you do each task and even if you should complete a food task half way through your shift or at the very end of your shift. You are also learning what the new food item is on the menu board........how to prepare it and how to take the temperature of that item and what the temperature should at least be! There is a lot of detail when it comes to learning in this area!

The hardest part of the job is knowing what to do first so that you can avoid running behind and keeping a customer waiting for a ie.: sandwhich!! From the first minute of my shift to the last minute of my shift you need to be on top of the preparation of the food, keep your dishes washed up as much as possible, keep your stock pulled from freezer, always keep your production – more... paper work done up and always change your garbage before your shift ends!!

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing at the end of the day I was helpful to my soup and sandwhich person, helpful to my manager(s) of the day and most of all ....I feel good because I was one of the people to put a smile on that customer's face. That hits the bull's eye for me. – less
good money, minimal staff
Storefront (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 15, 2012
Pros: good money for part-time
Cons: not enough workers on floor
I worked at Tim Hortons for a year as a part time job. The work was decent and easy excluding the fact that sometimes you had to work double as hard since some people are incapable of dragging their own weight. It was a good place to make money because you have the potential to work good hours plus tips. Once you get a few monthes under your belt (not even, maybe weeks) they will start scheduling you 8 hour shifts and depend on you more often. I've worked other jobs like Shoppers drug mart where they only schedule you for 4 hour shifts and 20 hours a week seems like an illusive fantasy. Tim Hortons gave me lots of hours despite being only a part-time worker, however their were also disadvantages, they rely on you to much and always call you to come in and work on your off hours. There is a joke amongst employees that once you work there, it becomes your life because they want you life to revolve around Tim Hortons. But I do however appreciate it more than having a job (aka Shoppers) that gives you no hours.

Most of the co-workers I worked with were great, I made alot of friends and it deffinitly makes the job better since you around around enjoyable people. I only had to work with maybe 1 sour individual, but have heard horror stories about having to work with monsters at other stores. However the hours started drying up when new staff was hired. Seniority means nothing to management at Tim hortons.

Tim Hortons enjoys cutting all possible hours to save as much money as possible. Management put as least people on the floor as possible. When I worked afternoons (which is what – more... I usually worked) between 8-10 there was only 2 people scheduled, which was okay as sometimes it was dead and other times I had to work order taker, coffee and cash all by myself at drive through while the other person working would attend to a line up at storefront.

Overall Tim Hortons was a good place to work but could deffinitly use some improvement. – less
Not a great place to work
Baker/Production (Current Employee), Kitchener, ON.October 29, 2014
Pros: flexible hours.
Cons: working alone as a baker is overwheming.
The store is open 24/7 and I have worked all different kinds of shift. General shifts are from 7am - 3pm, 3pm - 11pm, and 11pm - 7am if you are Store Front, and 7am - 3 pm, 3:30pm - 8:30pm, and 11pm to 7am, if you are a Baker.

As a baker, you work alone and are expected to accomplish many tasks from baking production to cleaning. If storefront needs anything, you have to stop what you are doing and help them/ make food for them instead. If you run out of food in the front/showcase, don't expect anyone to say anything to you, the communication is terrible between storefront positions and bakers. Baking food can become overwhelming as the only baker. Sometimes, I have to skip breaks to be able to keep up with the amount of production that is required on busy days otherwise I risk having to stay later than my scheduled shift to continue baking.

Management is not any help at all when they are constantly telling you all the things you are doing wrong. Even when you fix the problems that they confront you about, they always find something else.

Every shift starts out after the previous baker that usually never gets the job done and I end up having to clean up after their mess on top of my own work.

Most of the other staff members are generally kind and friendly but can be very ignorant at times.

Tim Hortons is very reasonable with booking shifts off for appointments and other things that are required outside of work, however, if they don't like your working habits or you call in sick too often, they start to reduce your shifts to make you quit (luckily this has never happened – more... to me).

The most enjoyable part of the job was actually working alone. It allowed me to accomplish tasks a lot quicker than when I worked with staff in Storefront. I learned how to make good use of my time in my shifts to cram as much production into my shift as possible (I hate leaving an empty display case of food). – less
Stressful environment, unable to keep good staff or management, not good team work
Supervisor and storefront employee (Former Employee), Moncton, New BrunswickJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: 50% off meals when at work
Cons: long hours
A typical day at Tim Horton's is stressful almost every day. For me, it was the same every day : count a cash, go in the drive through and stay there for the next 9 hours. I would start at 4:30 AM and finish at 2:00 PM. You're on your feet the whole time with only 2 x 15 minute breaks, so it does get really tiring after a stretch of 10 days.

I didn't learn very much, other than handling cash registers and coffee machines. I also learned to supervise at one point, but that didn't last very long, as I was underpaid and overworked.

I had some problems with the way management ran things and therefore tried to stand up and get them to make some changes to make everyone feel better about coming to work everyday. Unfortunately, they didn't listen to their employees' opinions, so they lost a lot of good workers very fast.

I have always loved the people I worked with over the years, everyone has always been friendly and efficient. I have gained a lot of valuable friendships, but like I said before, the good people didn't last long as they weren't being treated the way they should.

The hardest part of this job is coming in every morning, knowing exactly what's ahead. Knowing that you're just an employee and that you're just there to take the order and prepare it. No questions asked.

The enjoyable part of working at Tim Horton's are the tips. I had developed some great relationships with regular customers by being friendly and making sure their order was right every day. In return, they tend to give a nice tip.
Headquarters