Tim Hortons Employee Reviews

Found 5,814 reviews matching the search
working for Tim Hortons
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 October 2016
Working for Tim Hortons is both fun as well as stressful; you develop great multitasking skills, as well as communication skills. you learn to work with you coworkers as a team, and if someone having an off day everyone usually feeds off your energy and attitude. you create great friendships with your customers, learning their names, orders, and routines. customers make your day, but on the rare occasion they can as well ruin your day; but for the most part you always have a great shift.
Pros
customers, great hours, free tea
Cons
no raises, no promotions, sometimes poor management
Its a good starting job and had pretty good experience.
team member (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC5 June 2016
My typical days at work is good, sometimes not but for sure it happens all the time. I managed to adjust myself with all different types of people of different culture, of different raise. I learned to appreciate simple efforts, simple gestures of appreciation, stay positive and head's up although the situation is disappointing. I learned that valuing the cant's and cans of a person helps us grow in the most effective kind of manner. Management isn't understanding enough so it's not that worth of too much time and effort. Co-workers are a mix of good, better, best and worst which is usual. Hardest part is you are not that motivated because you don't feel like you were appreciated but on the brighter side, there are few who sees your worth.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 August 2016
At Tim Horton's I learned how to become a leader and embrace my communication skills. By motivating my fellow crew mates to meet our drive thru times and abide by Tim Horton's standard I could guarantee our guest's got the freshest coffee every time. I enjoyed helping train new staff, and getting our regular guest's coffee orders ready in advance; seeing the smile on their face and their warm welcome was the best part of my job. The hardest part of my job was being isolated by other staff because of ethnicity. The reason I had to leave was because often times I was excluded from conversations simply because I could not speak another language aside from English. It flabbergasted me, that I have been denied raises based on the economy or my age rather than my workplace capability. I would work at Tim Horton's again gladly if the exclusion was not present because I love the friendly fast paced work environment.
Pros
Friendly staff and guest
Cons
Long hours with only one 15 minute break
Fun work environment ONLY if coworkers are nice
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 July 2016
The pay is horrible for the amount of work you are expected to do, and it's nearly impossible to get a raise or advance your career here. The team members and management vary depending on the location but most locations are very rude. At my location the team members were alright and management was understanding at times, but not always. The company itself is horrible.
Environment is very stressful and expectations are ridiculous! You get paid minimum wage for a large and excessive amount of work and stress. The staff discount is horrible and they don't put a single ounce of trust in their employees, basically treating them like criminals.
Pros
Flexible work hours if you don't make anyone mad
Cons
The pay versus the expectations, anount of work
Great team, great environment.
Customer Service/Storefront Barista (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL3 November 2016
My shifts were well-balanced in terms of responsibilities and I always found that my days and nights flew by (a good sign).

I definitely learned the importance of time efficiency and teamwork when dealing with large numbers of customers. I discovered that I handle these challenges much better than I previously expected.

Management was great - very helpful, easy to talk to and ran things very professionally. Most of my co-workers were much the same, probably because they were well-screened.

Most difficult part of this job was trying to stay aware of my body's limitations. I ended up developing mild arthritis in my left wrist from pouring coffee for entire morning shifts. I had to learn to know when to switch it up after that.

Most enjoyable part of this job was the great people I met and the warn environment they created. It was an enjoyable work experience with good benefits; we were treated well.
Fun and Family Oriented Environment
Cashier/ Management in Training (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 November 2016
A typical day at work would be greeting and serving customer's. Making coffee and putting smiles on the faces that come to enjoy a warm cup of happiness. It is a happy place to work surrounded by joy and cheer. The holiday are always the best, receiving new treats to taste and all new drinks you get to sample. So that you have a better understanding of the product if the customer has questions. Management was always helpful and never lazy, while still being able to accomplish what they where required to do at the end of their shifts. They had a firm understanding of the rules but was sensitive to peoples needs when required. My favorite part of the job was the advancement and ability to move up on the chain.
Pros
Free Coffee (while at work)
Cons
Long Shifts
Great learning experience as a first job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ON17 October 2016
Having to deal with customers can either be good or bad, but at the end of the day, working with a friendly environment allows everyone to have a good time working.
I learned that not everything will go exactly the way it should be, such as: meeting times serve per customer or just overall baking the needed items. Despite all, as long as everyone works together to fix the mistakes, everything can work smoothly.
As part of the management team, the ability to help others is not as easy as it sound, however with more experience, allows for one to be able to show those who don't fully understand, the right and proper way to do things.
My co-workers were fantastic. They all did what was needed to do, and we all had fun doing the job.
The hardest part of the job was just generally keeping up at the beginning when you're learning how to do things.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with fun co workers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Taber, AB3 October 2016
I would take orders from Customers, make the drinks and get the pastry's if they ordered any. Drive Through was back and forth of getting drinks, keeping up with Orders and also Doing our Secondary's. I learned that Sanitation is important, as well as how you work with your co-workers because if you can't work well you won't be productive. As well as how you treat the customers. The Management wasn't very good, I was treated badly for no reason. I worked well with my co-workers so we got through orders fast. The hardest part of the job was always being treated badly when I was doing everything I was doing right. The most enjoyable was when I got to see the Customers happy, as well as being able to do things that I've never done or learned before.
Pros
Discounts
Crazy Busy
Fast Food Chain Staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2016
A common day at Tim Hortons is usually a very busy with a very diverse customer because of this you learn to be patient and open to others wants and needs. I work for a great management team very personable and compassionate to each employee and there individual needs and struggles. There is a wonderful team of hard working ladies who come to work everyday and give 110%
The is not a really head part to this job its very routine for the most part and I would say for me the only issue I have is money pretty much everyone makes minimum wage and there hasn't been raises given to anyone that I know of an I have worked for this owner for many years and that would be one of the reasons I am looking for a different job or possibly another job. The cost if living continues to increase but wages do NOT.
Overall Excellent Service
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kentville, NS5 November 2016
my typical day at work is usually normal routine and if you work hard you get it done quicker easier smooth ride through the rest of the day. I learned a lot about the differences between the coffee and the produce.Management was an alright thing for me it was consistent. The hardest part of the job was making and remembering the order of which goes when.The most enjoyable part was working with a diverse arrangment of co-workers who were as happy and as proud to be at work and doing their job as I was
Pros
Free Lunches, Fast Food Service
Cons
long hours, cold air
Fast pace environment great for a first-time job for students
Caissière (Current Employee) –  Lassalle, QC5 December 2016
Honestly the only thing that kept me there were the tips, on a bad day I'd make 5 to 10 dollars whilst on a good day 15 to 25 dollars. But with the stress put on the employees to maintain a fast pace, & horrible customers its not a job for sensitive people. Also, it can be very dangerous, so if you're someone that doesn't wanna end up with burns & bruises or possibly injuring yourself off a wet floor just to serve a bagel with creme cheese under 60 seconds its not for you.
Pros
Tips (allowed in certain locations)
Cons
long hours, too demanding for low salary.
Easy to do, fast paced with good benefits and hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 May 2016
Work is usually fast paced and high tempo, I enjoyed this as there is little time to sit around or slack off. I learned valuable customer service experience as well as how to make various coffee related beverages and goods. The management was also organized and honest, never had any issues booking time off or getting a difficult answer. They were always straight to the point and honest with me, I greatly appreciated this. My co-workers were always full of energy and positivity allowing my job and my shifts to be much more easy to complete. The hardest part of my job was adjusting to the speed and pace initially, however beyond that transitional period, my job was seamless, I never had any further issues. The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers, they were always fun to be around and made my work life significantly easier.
Pros
Good hours, solid staff, fast paced work environment
Cons
Lack of advancement and job security
Fun workplace for developing interpersonal skills and self confidence
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 July 2016
The crew are all fun to work with knowing that we are all coming from different culture and countries. It is also a good experience in developing interpersonal and language skills since the main role of being an employee is customer service. The management team are really hard working and firm when it comes in procedures and standard practices during the operations on a day-to-day basis as well as long term goals. The hardest part of the job is the first few weeks (on training) because everything that is being taught can be overwhelming and adapting to the culture at work is challenging.
The most enjoyable part of the job is at the end of the day, we see customers satisfied and happy about our service.
Decent starter job
Store Front, Supervisor, Baker (current) (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 October 2016
This is a great first job for high school and college students. However, it is is nearly impossible to try and make a decent living when trying to raise a family. I've been with this company for 14 years and have watched all of the $ 0.15/year raises disappear with the increase of minimum wage. This company has no respect for employees that have been with them long-term and are somehow comfortable paying the people that are new hires the same amount as the people that have been there 15+ years.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Horrible salary
positive nature at work with co-employees. store is always busy which is a good thing making the work more productive.
Food Counter Attendant (Former Employee) –  Red Lake, ON18 November 2016
It was always busy especially during weekends. I've learn how to deal with major adjustment with the weather and culture. The management thought me a lot on how to handle problems with customers, also how to multitask during busy hours. my co-workers were considerate when it comes to being professional. The hardest part was working with a few people. I most enjoyed being with team because it felt like we are a family.
Fun workplace at tims
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 November 2016
Long hours not enough pay for what we girls do in a run of a day.

The hardest part of this job is to keep your mouth shut when customers yell throw things at you

You learn to have to deal with stressful situations

Co workers I love like my family

Management is grate at my tims

My tims you got family they treat you good they try
there best to work out shifts for us all.

Best part of the day is when you know your shift is over and you can go home and see my kids
Pros
Tips
Cons
Long hours /less of a pay /on your feet alot
Steady job with good co-workers.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Port Hope, ON25 July 2016
I have been working at Tim Hortons for 4 years and have just recently been promoted to a management position. The people that I work with have a mutual respect for me, and we run a very productive, fun shift. I have learned a tremendous amount about customer service during my time here that I will forever hold as a very important lesson. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I get to see the look on a customers face when they arrive at the counter to their order already completed because I have it memorized. It makes them feel special and appreciated.
Pros
Making new relationships with customers/co-workers.
Cons
Not the best salary.
Fun environment
Cashier/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 July 2016
a typical day at work is challenging because Tim Hortons is a very busy place. the hardest part about this job is trying to keep the lines down. Management is good they are fair to the employees. I have learned a great set of skills for multitasking, team work, knowledge of products, promotions, work fast and safely.
Pros
Free coffee
Last choice available
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL10 September 2016
Tim Hortons is a very basic level entry job for high school kids. If this is your first job it will teach you basic customer service skills that you will be able to take with you to any other job. At the same time it will also teach you to watch your back & to look out for number one. If you are looking for a "career" you better be willing to do a lot of "brown nosing" with the current management & be willing to throw your coworkers under the bus the first chance you get. The best part of the job is the days off.
Pros
None I can think of.
Cons
No Pros
Fun and friendly work environment.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON22 April 2016
A lot of people will say working at Tim Horton's is not a good job. I would like to say I've been around and I can safely say Tim Horton's is one of the better food service jobs I've ever had. The management are fair and friendly, the staff are great and the customers are pretty great too, after they've had their first cup!

Every job has its ups and downs. It's just how you look at it that's important. If you come to this position thinking that it's easy and you just stand around pouring coffee all day, you are in for a surprise. If you are willing to work hard and you do what is asked of you (as you would be expected to in ANY job) you will do just fine.

Tim Horton's is a lot about "the regulars". The same people you see every day coming in and trusting you to get their coffee just right, and you already know what they want before they get to the counter, creates a sense of family and community that you won't find anywhere else.
Pros
Flexible hours, opportunity for advancement
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours