Tim Hortons Employee Reviews

Found 6,613 reviews matching the search
Seldom an enjoyable place to work
Storefront Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 February 2017
Typical day at work would involve starting the day off with cleaning the washrooms and dining area if there are no customers then you would be at cash serving beverages and prepared food items most of the time. If needed be then you would be requested to stock the fridge if you are the fast and physically fit type of person. Routinely you would go to the dining room to check for any garbage and clean the tables as well as in front of the counter. You do have to move very quick all the time and have to occupy yourself with something even if there is nothing to do when it's quiet or you will be scrutinized if the manager or supervisors on the floor think that you are not working hard enough.
Pros
50% off food and beverage, 30 min break
Cons
Boring, long hours, high demands, bad management, little compensation, lack of acknowledgement, shift changes
Excellent teamwork with incentives
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London, ON5 March 2017
A typical day at Tim Horton's includes a whirlwind of customers in-store and in the drive thru. I learned how management should participate in the daily efforts to keep the store running, as opposed to standing by while the crew members do all of the work.
The management was great, for the most part. They motivate you positively, compromise with you, and stand by you when the customer is incorrect.
The workplace culture of Tim Horton's is well-known, being the largest coffee chain in the country.
The hardest part of the job is the stress put on you by multiple things happening at once, and sometimes you have a day where you can't seem to keep up, or you keep making messes. Thankfully your co-workers can relate, there's no judgment for your off days, and they will help you every misstep of the way.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when your managers gather you around to read out positive reviews given to us by customers, and when we are thanked and praised by the owners for our hard work. It really does make all the difference.
Pros
50% off meals, free beverages during working hours
Cons
Management is sometimes too lenient
Decent job for entry level working
Tim Hortons Team Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2017
My typical day at work is usually has me working early in the morning, and standing in one of three places usually for sometimes up to eight, or even nine hours. Dealing with messes on a daily basis, as well as hundreds of guests a day.

I have certainly learned how to manage myself more working here, and it certainly can leave one exhausted at times, but one learns to power on and not give in.

We have had a odd flow of management in the few years the place has been open, and their has been some good and some bad. It's a matter of learning to work hard to find a balance between staff and management.

The workplace culture is decent, but it could be better at times.

The hardest part of the job is the unexpected problems that pop up from seamingly nowhere, and can be difficult mentally at times. I find persevering through and talking about it helps sometimes.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having great team mates that one can depend on to have your back, and simply make the day go by much faster.
Pros
100 - 50% discount depending on food item.
Cons
Lack of worker protection at times
Fun workplace
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 March 2017
Typical day at work is work as hard as you can to keep my job. The job culture isn't diverted. Management is very strict. Salary is difficult to get a raise. No problem balancing my life and work. Most enjoyable part of my job is communicating with my fellow co-workers and work under pressure at all times and mostly do the beverages.
Pros
perform work duties in general
Cons
barely get hours and a raise
The other crew member is not bad most of them is nice
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON7 February 2017
My work is easy. In a week I only work weekend. I learned how to make coffee and others.I know how to earn money. The management is good. My workplace culture? Many of them is persian and we are 4 filipino. The other persian is not nice. The hardest part of the job is when you need to pick up the heavy thingy. The most enjoyable of the job is to make them happy especially the customers.
Pros
free lunch except sandwiches and bagels
Cons
Friendly people, but many problems
Team Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 March 2017
Overall, working at Tim Horton's is as expected for a first part-time job in the fast food industry. The pay is good, there are decent benefits, and many of the coworkers and customers are friendly people. However, I have encountered many problems in my (almost) two years of working there. First, the break room is cramped and almost always cluttered with unnecessary items, such as dirty dishes. There isn't much room to sit and enjoy your break when there are other people trying to do the same and people starting and ending their shift. Second, there have been many times where I have booked off certain days and have been given the okay, only to find out that I have been scheduled for those days. There are other problems, of course, but at the moment those are the most pertinent.
Pros
free coffee and baked goods, good hours
Cons
messy and small break room, scheduling errors, management
Poor job, worse supervisors
Store Front Employee (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON21 March 2017
In a typical day, I would be working either behind counter, or at drive-thru, serving customers. I have been trained to use their cash registers, debit machines, as well as counting money to make change.

I learned from this job that I am capable at working in fast paced, high stress work environments.

Management at Tim Hortons was poor, and changed frequently.

The overall work culture was quite toxic, and very unenjoyable. I truly believe that with friendly co-workers, even the worst job can be made more enjoyable.

The hardest part of the job for me was mesmerizing how to make everything, and having to work with people that I hated.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to serve the regulars, and start to know their orders by heart.
Pros
Free donuts, coffee, and iced coffee
Cons
Stressful, poor management, rude co-workers.
Excellent & Enjoyable
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Aylmer, QC2 March 2017
Tim Horton's is an excellent first job for students, or as a secondary job; Very flexible to balance with school/work schedules. In my experience, I had wonderful co-workers and a great time working at Tim's.

Tim's offers free coffee/donuts during and/or at the end of your shift, as well as 50% of all other menu items. However, this discount cannot be used outside of your shift. Tim Horton's also offers health & dental benefits to full-time team members after 3 months, as well as free uniforms, paid comprehensive training, competitive wages, etc.

I strongly recommend Tim Horton's to all who are looking for a first job, secondary job, or on-the-side job while going to school, who don't mind a fast-paced environment.
Pros
Paid training, Free uniforms/coffee/donuts
Cons
Can be stressful during rushes
Productive and Fun at work
DRIVE-THRU CASHIER/FRONT COUNTER ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Alberta12 March 2017
A typical day at work was fun,being at the cash,taking with and helping customers with their needs and wants.I learned to assigned myself to one or two zone in the store in which you will get to know it well enough to run when your supervisor is not there. And learned how to manage my time to fish all my tasks and patience. I had an amazing team and am glad I got the experience working with the different cultures. Management often goes games and makes most huddles engaging and enjoyable. Total open door policy. Hardest part of the job that I find myself as multi-tasking when there's few people working. But you get paid a small amount of dollars.The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers, most are very easy going and fun to talk to. Another is putting together displays, you can often have fun with it, of course following their rules and feel proud of it .
Pros
40% of your lunch meal
An Enjoyable First Job
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB15 March 2017
I have worked at Tim Horton's for over three years, and from the start it was enjoyable to work at. Of course there are days that tend to drag on longer than you would like, however for the most part I enjoyed working there. My fellow coworkers were always friendly and pleasant to deal with, and both the managers and owner showed a great amount of respect to the team members. I owe a lot to Tim Horton's. Being it was my first job, I learnt a lot from both a customer service standpoint, as well as life skills that would help me further down the road.
Pros
50% discount on food while working, as well as free hot drinks while working. Friendly coworkers, and a respectful management team.
Cons
Lack of Advancement
working for Tim Hortons
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 October 2016
Working for Tim Hortons is both fun as well as stressful; you develop great multitasking skills, as well as communication skills. you learn to work with you coworkers as a team, and if someone having an off day everyone usually feeds off your energy and attitude. you create great friendships with your customers, learning their names, orders, and routines. customers make your day, but on the rare occasion they can as well ruin your day; but for the most part you always have a great shift.
Pros
customers, great hours, free tea
Cons
no raises, no promotions, sometimes poor management
High-paced environment, great team
Evening Crew (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 February 2017
This job isn't very great at first, but once you settle into the routine and team, it becomes a lot more fun.

The customers are always interesting, and the teams you can get are always full of diverse people. The work itself isn't too hard, and you will always find something to do with what time you think you have free.

That said, this isn't the type of job where you will advance quickly, as you need to prove you're reliable and can give more then what is expected. Advancement will take time, but is worth it from what I saw in my time working for Tim Horton's. (I also admit advancement will differ store to store, so my opinion is based on the store I worked at.)

Overall, a Tim Horton's team member job is good, but if you're looking for something where advancements are fast-paced and harder-won, then this wouldn't be the job for you.
Pros
free coffee (when on break), free baked goods (when on break), staff discount when leaving for the day, lots of exercise when on-site
Cons
minimum wage to start, not very competitive, advancements take time
It was a workplace that always focused on customer service
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 March 2017
A typical day at work for me was making sure my team was intact and up to speed with temperatures and sanitizers. Those had to be done every hour and two hours. Throughout my experience at Tim Hortons I learned to value the meaning of customer service as well as team work. Those two were the key to a healthy work environment. The management however was awful, I was constantly getting yelled at for mistakes , or something that was an accident. It happened often. When the manager would talk to me about it, she wouldn't talk she would yell. She always had such a rude tone in her voice, and I honestly felt disrespected every time she talked to me. The workplace culture was very diverse and very unique We had many different cultures among our staff. Honestly the hardest part of my job was dealing with a rude manager. The most enjoyable part was that I got to interact with customers and give them the best customer service I had.
Pros
Free food on breaks
Cons
Angry Manager
my experience of working at tim hortons
Server (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 February 2017
come in early, serve coffee to a long line of customers. Ive learned people skills, how to bake, make coffee, multitask. management was alright, some people not. those who are not were power tripping and being unfair to some staff members, playing favourites. Hardest part for me was putting up with petty supervisors and the manager, taking a deep breath and not let it affect me or my service for customers. Enjoyable parts of the job were the other wonderful half of the staff, great regular customers, who make all the hard parts worth it!
Pros
50% off food, benefits, guanteed hours
Cons
many people in positions of power abuse it i.e power trip
Fast past learning environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS6 January 2017
Typical day was fast past, continuous team work and everyone around supporting one another. Very competitive vibes but was made as fun as possible. Management was excellent, owner often popped in to check on the store and make sure we had what needed. hardest part of the job was being new and making adjustments.
Pros
Easy to pick up shifts
Cons
Long hours - sometimes double shifts
Advantages
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 March 2017
Friendly daily senior citizens customers.
Free drinks if you work under 7 hours
Free food and drinks if you work over 8 hours.
Free work uniform
Paid Training
Paid breaks
Opportunity for advancement in management positions.
Tim Horton's employee discount
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hours, cool enviornment
Fun and Family Oriented Environment
Cashier/ Management in Training (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 November 2016
A typical day at work would be greeting and serving customer's. Making coffee and putting smiles on the faces that come to enjoy a warm cup of happiness. It is a happy place to work surrounded by joy and cheer. The holiday are always the best, receiving new treats to taste and all new drinks you get to sample. So that you have a better understanding of the product if the customer has questions. Management was always helpful and never lazy, while still being able to accomplish what they where required to do at the end of their shifts. They had a firm understanding of the rules but was sensitive to peoples needs when required. My favorite part of the job was the advancement and ability to move up on the chain.
Pros
Free Coffee (while at work)
Cons
Long Shifts
Kept busy with chores
Team Member/Store Front (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 February 2017
Working at Tim Hortons was very educational. It had long work hours but it kept you busy which made the day go faster. The management was not very organized. We wouldn't get our schedule until late in the week sometimes. They also changed the schedule without telling you. The store itself was not kept organized. We would have to run around looking for many things. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the shipments in the afternoon. The most enjoyable part of the job was my fellow employees who made the day fun.
Pros
Friendly employees
management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON15 January 2017
A typical day started a 7 a.m. at the pick of rush hour. I learned how to handle customer complaints with patience, tact and understanding which enhanced my problem solving skills.. Learned how to better pay attention to details. Became more people oriented and developed excellent communication and negotiating skills. The most enjoyable part was during fundraising time raising funds camp.
And the hardest part was the standing for the entire shift except for the breaks. My management team was one of the best team to work with.
Pros
competitive wages
Cons
Standing for the entire shift
Every Productive
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 February 2017
A typical day at work is usually fast pace but sometimes can get slow if customers do not really come to buy breakfast in the morning.

I learn that you always want to treat the customer good so that they feel welcome when they come to Tim Hortons and also want to show good customer service at all times.

The management at my location is every understanding when it comes to school they will work around my school schedule and vacations.

The workplace every multi-culture with many different part of the country.
Pros
Get good hours
Cons
It gets really slow on the weekends