Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Everyone is miserable, very poor management.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON20 October 2017
The hospital atmosphere is tense, employees from all departments seem ready to snap off each other's heads at a moment's notice. My department is short staffed, and this is not uncommon in other departments as well. The failure to replace employees once they have left have put a heavy workload on remaining employees, who seem to take their frustration out on each other.
Hospital inviorment
Hospital Porter (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON5 October 2017
Its a fast paced place to work at, different cultures, dealing with trauma, enjoy talking with the patients, making them smile. Patients and family #1
Productive and inspiring place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON14 September 2017
A typical day at work is very stressful on the cardiac and stroke unit. I rely on quick thinking to navigate my way through the different challenges presented each day. Management is very understanding and receptive to suggestions. The hardest part of my job is helping people cross over and the most enjoyable part is helping people who are in need and providing them with dignity during some of the most vulnerable times in their lives.
Wage is good
Housekeeping Attendant (Current Employee) –  Thundewr Bay, ON18 June 2017
Work environment is good, great co-workers. Busy & steady work, fast pace environment. Operate machinery. Hourly wage is great. Hardest part of my job is seeing sick people.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Not enough hours
Sterile Processing Technician
Sterile Processing Technician (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON17 June 2017
Workplace is busy and the time flies by. Learning is continuous and the physical demands are high. Staff are supportive and work closely as a team. The best part of the job is the knowledge gained. The hardest part of the job is the physical demands.
Pros
Decent wages and benefits
Cons
Variable shifts
Staff are highly competent and protocols are very effective. Very knowledgeable and I have learned a lot from the staff members.
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON25 April 2017
My experience at the Regional Hospital was excellent. I was able to gain knowledge from the staff how to effectively provide the best care to the clients. The protocols are very well incorporated and they ensure that safety is always a priority. Good nurse-client and doctor-client relationship.
Overworked, Staffing Issues.
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON13 February 2017
Routinely overworked, at one time was called in for potentially 16 straight days, many times worked 10+ days straight or scheduled for 7 Days straight. Staff on floors nice but usually very busy and not enough help on floors. Would benefit from PSW's on some floors. Always in Grid-Lock and not may opportunities for patients to have a stimulus. Confusing lay out of the hospital. Some Management is great, others are difficult to contend with and care more about a bottom dollar than the care of the patient. Staff routinely complain of not enough days off, Burn out, Stress, many taking stress leave, not much at work stress intervention or willingness by management to acknowledge an overworked population. Personal Emergency days are provided but some management don't take them into consideration and will often reprimand you for the utilization of them. Hardest part of the job is the amount of non-acute patients taking up beds for the acute patients, Social work and PT/OT only available M-F with the exception of holidays and patients routinely not able to get up and out of bed and therefore become bedridden and decline in function rapidly, Some doctors routinely ignore pages or take a long time to respond to calls, others are almost always available when called. Most enjoyable part of the job is the extra training opportunities available to staff, paid by the hospital.
Pros
Extra Training available for willing participants
Cons
Never Enough Staff, Many Last-Minute Float Moves.
Great place to work!
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON7 February 2017
Great place to work. But hard to advance unless you jump through hoops and move up in seniority and it isn't always based on your qualifications or job performance. Great employee activity fund. 14 percent in leu of benefits if PT or Full benefits if FT. Supervisors understanding but not always on same page. But over all pretty good and understanding.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Hours and lack of good communication
Helpful & friendly co-workers.
Housekeeper/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON3 January 2017
Fast paced, high energy job. I enjoy the interaction with the patients, the job is physically demanding, which I enjoy as well. I work in a culturally diverse hospital. This has taught me a lot about other cultures, and the day to day struggles that some people face.
Housekeeping
Housekeeping Aide (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON21 October 2016
it is very enjoyable. The best part of my day is the patients. They are having a rough time but just saying HI brightens their day! I love working with the staff they make the job enjoyable, because we are there to work together.
Gaining Experience
Receptionist/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON22 February 2016
The TBRHSC has provided me with the opportunity to grow and gain a tremendous amount of experience. I had the opportunity to see what goes on in the Hospital working in different positions and departments.
Professional
Admitting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay21 March 2015
Awarded for Corporate Culture, TBRHSC is a professional organization that prides itself on the delivery of Patient and Family Centred Care health experiences. Interprofessionalism is encouraged and awarded with opportunity for advancement.
inspiring work environment
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON4 February 2015
I am thankful for all the job opportunities I have secured throughout my career. I continue to be inspired to be the best MLT that I can be not only because I am self-motivated but also because I seem to always be surrounded by great role models in my profession.
Cons
job security
Informative and inspiring
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON29 December 2012
I completed my preceptorship in the Emergency department at TBRHSC. I enjoyed the high paced environment and the constant change of every day work. I was able to utilize many of my skills within my scope of practice.
Pros
learning experiences
Cons
was too short of a stay