Thrifty Foods

Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
not great management
Floral Clerk/ Acting Manager (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: lots of work available.
Cons: lots of work and not much satisfaction.
My time there was interesting, I spent a lot of my days Cleaning up and processing the stock. Thrifty Foods in Maple Ridge was not very well run, it was a new store that had just opened so things are bound to go wrong. it was a good working experience for me because I learned how to stand up for myself.
Work experience at Thrifty's
Store Associate (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCDecember 2, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers, good environment, good quality products
Cons: lots of staff( very slim chance of getting hired)
A typical worked day consisted of facing, organizing and re stocking product. I also assisted customers and helped bag groceries when needed. I learned an easier way of facing the product.( facing only 4 inches of the product, then once it's gone pull the next 4 inches forward.) Overall I did 7 shifts and all the co-workers I got to know were super – more... friendly and helpful. Great environment. The hardest part of doing work experience there was having to grab one of my co-workers to help a customer sometimes if I wasn't able to answer their question but if I worked there longer and knew more about the company I think I would be able to abit better, having a little bit more knowledge. The most enjoyable part was being able to help customers and sharing my knowledge and experiences on certain products etc. – less
A good place to work and be part of a team
grocery Clerk (Former Employee), NanaimoOctober 13, 2014
Pros: company cares for its employees
Cons: you have to work all hours
I enjoy my time working at Thrifty Foods. A found the mangers I worked with to be both friendly and polite. This goes along way to making everyone feel part of the team and over time I was able to come to know many of co-works as friends. My time here helped come to understand what it mean to part of a team that delivers quality consistently and strives – more... to keep improving. I look back fondly on my time spent there and would recommend thrifty food as great place to work. – less
long term work place
Baker Helper (Current Employee), Sidney , VicAugust 14, 2014
if you follow the order , and do your best everything will be OK
Enjoyable Place to work with supportive co workers and management
File Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 26, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: irregular shift schedule
This was a place I enjoyed coming to work every day, the co workers were wonderful and the tasks were challenging and engaging. I learned a lot here about what kind of things I would love to do in future Jobs as my favorite part of the job was the Admin aspect of it. I loved working with the computer and the database of the stores inventory. I also – more... learned a lot about prioritizing and handling stress.
The people and management were hugely supportive, and ready to help you.
I loved this work place. – less
A very good work environment that i enjoyed.
grocery clerk (Current Employee), 270 E columbia streetJuly 21, 2014
my time at thrifty foods has been a joy. it was enjoyable and provided me with a good variety of work experience with things i had not yet dealt with.
fun workplace. Great coworkers
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Sidney, BCJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long commute
learned interpersonal skills, and teamwork. The most difficult days were when there were problems with the computers. The best part was serving many communities by sending quality groceries to the stores.
Fun coworkers
Bakery Clerk/Decorator (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCJuly 8, 2014
Im trained in Decorating and clerking in the bakery, so I never know what im going to be doing during the day. My decorating sills have improved with some tips from co workers. Co workers are the main reason I have fun at work. The hardest part of my job is waking up so early. The most enjoyable part of my job is decorating cakes free style.
need to work ALOT to get any real hours
Cashier (Former Employee), Sidney, BCJune 14, 2014
Cons: no full time
a lot of mixed up hours, not enough hours, no benefits for the part-timers but there are no full-time positions unless you've been there forever
interesting place to work
bakery and cashier (Former Employee), tsawwassen, bcMay 2, 2014
easy going but management needs work. easy to switch departments however wages are not very good.
fun, faced paced work environment with reliable, team oriented employees, and employers who want others to succeed
Cashier (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 30, 2014
Pros: always fast paced and busy
Cons: wages, difficult hours
Working as a cashier at Thrifty Foods is enjoyable and rewarding. My purpose in this job is making sure customers have a successful shop as well as experiencing tremendous customer service.
A typical day is greeting customers with a warm smile and a polite attitude. Ringing through products and memorizing various and numerous numeric codes, and placing – more... products in bags. If customers need assistance with their groceries, I am more than happy to help place their bagged groceries into their cart, and proceed to page for assistance to their car.
If the day seems to be slow, each of the cashiers are able to do chores such as cleaning the monitor screens and wiping the doors and windows.
My management and co-workers are friendly and generous people who only want to see you succeed and do the best you can do at your job. Employees and management are all friends, work well as a team, and works hard to make Thriftys run smooth.
The hardest part of the job would be to memorize all the various types of food, and the codes for them. Before working at a grocery store I had not realized there were so many types of apples.
The most enjoyable part of my job would be talking to customers and provide them with customer service that has them keep coming back to our store. – less
Good Place to work
Role as Bakery Clerk and Baker (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: they usually worked around your life and its was a fun atmosphere
Cons: too much work and not enough hours
A typical day at work for me was either baking in the back or packaging and helping customers. I learned a lot from thriftys, most of my baking experience came from there and my customer service. Management at thriftys goes as follows your department manager, store manager, branch manager and finally company manager. Being where I was I only dealt with – more... department and store, my department manager was great and taught me a lot. My store manager was one of the reasons I quit as he never treated some of our employees with respect and he defiantly lost mine. My co-workers were awesome and I actually would look forward to work with them! We all got along and the atmosphere was amazing. The hardest part of the job was being able to do everything they demanded on time a lot of the time I had to work overtime and deal with a lot of workload. The most enjoyable part of the job was baking. I loved making all the yummy product and the smell and taste of them were great and knowing that I made that and that people are enjoying the product I made. – less
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Courtenay, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: don't have anything to put in here
I loved my job at Thrifty Foods in Courtenay BC.
I had to leave due to a military move.
My supervisors at the time were really good to me.
Lots of fun, meeting all levels of customers.
Very fast paste environment and kept busy at all times.
My day consisted of helping customers finding items.
Explaining our sales and questions about certain food products.
I – more... had a great team to work with and I learnt how to work with different personalities in a team environment. – less
Richard
service Clerk (Former Employee), Canada safeway Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: communication
Cons: pace
I’m am early bird that likes to get things done and enjoying the day.
I don't like being left alone all day being a baker’s assistant for Canada Safeway, packing muffins was very making sure things are kept clean ,Getting things done on time I found was a bit of a challenge and I needed to be more strategic as I worked.
high paced grocery enviornment
Meat Cutter (Former Employee), Parksville, BCJanuary 27, 2014
I took away many transferable skills, more in the way of customer service, both internal and external.
Fun environement
Cashier (Former Employee), Duncan BCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: personable interaction
Cons: long and variable hours
At the start of each shift it was required to make yourself familiar with all the weekly and daily promations and complete the produce test. The test was disigned to expand your knowledge of the seasonal produce and product codes. While at the cash regresiter the aim was to ensure that each customer was greeted in a friendly and professional manager. – more... I needed to scan all products accuratly, pack the products to ensure safe transport home, process payments and be efficient to make their visit to the store as enjoyable as possible. As my first job in Canada this position exposed me to currency, different product names, the local area and labour laws. It was enjoyable working with varity of people of different ages and backgrounds. The hours could be long and shifts could change daily which could effect my work live balance. I enjoyed the personable interaction this job gave me. The online shopping orders gave me change from the cash registor and expanded my product and store knowledge. – less
Great in-school job
Grocery Clerk, Backup Receiver (Former Employee), Saanichton, BCJanuary 23, 2014
Great group of people dedicated to customer service and having a good time, while unfortunately experiencing budget cuts left and right.
Productive and excellent work place
Sales Representive (Former Employee), Duncan, BCJanuary 4, 2014
I am a very hard working young girl, excellent at multitasking and have experience with customer service and food products for over 6 years. my co workers were excellent and all worked well together as a team which I believe is important. the management was very flexible and easy going aswell. favourite part of the job was everyone treated each other – more... as family and made it a enjoyable experience – less
It was very fun and serving customer are awesome.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), New Westminster, BCDecember 16, 2013
Pros: sometimes there are free food in the break room
Cons: short hours
It was very fun chatting while making some food preparation and doing assisting my co-workers. Helping customers is a very good experience for me.
Grocery Clerk
GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee), Delta, BCNovember 18, 2013
I worked as a grocery clerk for Thrifty Foods for roughly three years, this company taught me how to become a hard, diligent, honest worker, I stocked shelves, did customer service calls, cleaned/stocked and worked in the dairy department.

About Thrifty Foods

Thrifty Foods is a chain of supermarkets located in British Columbia, Canada. It was founded by Alec Campbell and Ernie Skinner – Read more