Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

mentally draining
KEY PRODUCE CLERK (Current Employee) –  South Surrey, BCJuly 5, 2016
Thrifty foods was a good learning experience for me. It helped me to expand my knowledge on leadership as well as how to write orders for a large company. Although while working for this company I have found myself bogged down, I find myself constantly trying to please my managers and supervisors, but they see to all want different things. If i am making one happy i am making the other unhappy. It has become impossible to do anything right.
Fun, engaging workplace
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 13, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is the variety of work duties. My position is not cookie-cutter in the sense that I do the same thing day in and day out.
I have been given opportunity for growth and advancement in the short 3 years I have been a part of this team.
Management is each department has been a huge part of this advancement. They have entrusted me to take on some of their ordering preparation and alleviate their work load.
Pros
Strong engagement throughout the store
Cons
Inconsistent work days & hours
A productive and fun work place with lots of talented staff and team members.
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCJuly 4, 2016
a typical day at work was me putting on my work clothes. and walking to work and then putting on my name tag and then checking in and getting my "deck" which is your stock or items to put away and then stocking the proper selves with the products.

one thing i learned is that, this job is not easy and it's a very fast pace environment. i learned a new set of skills for my next job...

my co-workers were very helpful and supportive

the hardest part of the job was lifting boxes and stocking the items on the tall selves

most enjoyable part of the job was the experience and meeting the fellow employees and being taught the best way to do what i needed to do
Pros
free lunch breaks
Cons
only one break
Terrible Management
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 6, 2016
As the title says. Management only Focused on getting their bonus. They do not care at all about employees. They expect different amounts of work from people who get paid the same and they never give positive feedback. The view of management is that the employees are never right and that everything must be done their way. Employee ideas are either never used, or the managers take credit for your ideas. All the managers seem like they need to take some basic management courses.
Good people, poor management.
Production Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 2, 2016
There have been plenty of people I've enjoyed working with and I'd say over half the people there have been there 10-20 years, so basically since it first began. A lot of changes have happened since I first started and from my point of view not for the matter. The level of accountability that's expected of me and others in my position versus what is offered for me to grow as a person and progress within the company just isn't matching up.
Absolutely Amazing!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJanuary 22, 2016
I worked at Thrifty Foods For five years. The management was friendly and they helped with any problems you had. My fellow co-workers and I were so close it was almost like our department had become a second family. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job for me was getting only part time hours instead of the hours that I had requested. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the fact that I could talk to people all day.
Pros
location
Cons
only got part time hours
Ok for school kids, not a career
Bakery Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 20, 2016
Do not trap yourself working for this company. It does fully depend on your manager but after working for the company for 6+ years in various different locations I do not recommend it as a place to work for more than a part time job.
Need to let new employees know what they are doing wrong.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 23, 2016
They management needs to let employees know if they are doing well enough to stay before just kind of a one time talk and then letting them go during probationary period without any explanation as to why.
Fast Paced, friendly staff and ability to grow
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 29, 2016
Love it but was starting to feel more corporate. Lots of expectations (from higher-ups) with little extras to help get them done.
Staff was amazing and the job itself was great, just getting harder to balance work vs home as the higher up you go the the less restrictions you can have.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
a lot of rules and policies...alot
Productive and fun place to work with others
Seafood Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 18, 2016
- I deal with Ordering product and supervising my fellow co-workers/ aiding the manager.
- Constantly multi-tasking throughout the day
- I aid with: - production
- Customer service
- Management
- Chronos (scheduling)
- Hardest part of the job would be having to leave it

- Most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with Customers and working as a team.
Pros
Good hours
like staff and customers
Customer Service/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2016
I am happy to have the chance to work at Thrifty Foods the customers are great and so are the staff. We all do an amazing job, and customers recognize me in the community.
Pros
fun people
Cons
freedom
I learned about seafood and how to interact with customers and with co-workers
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 28, 2016
One of the most important thing at Thrifty's was their trainee program. This trainee program showed us what they expect from us and showed us how to do the job safely and with finesse.
Thrifty's is a great company.
Fun & great place for a first job
Baker's Helper and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 29, 2016
- Very flexible with your schedule
- Coworkers are like family
- Not an easy job, got to put work and effort into it
- Build up customer service skills
- Fast- paced on holidays & weekly ad changes
- On your feet for long hours
Learned skills
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCApril 5, 2016
At work I learned a lot here and some skills of which I developed will translate with me into different jobs. The environment was good, but some of the management was not the greatest and did not treat us right.
Pros
Good times
Cons
Some Boss
Fun atmosphere, great training, excellent coworkers
Cashier, front end (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 28, 2016
I loved working here. I enjoyed coming to work. There are people of all ages that have a lot in common with your circumstance (making money, saving for school, travel, and/or both.) Mostly consists of students, but everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.
Pros
Atmosphere
Thrifty's was great.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJune 13, 2016
Working at Thrifty's was easily the best place I have worked. I loved the people, the customers, and had a blast every day at work.
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Opportunities.
Cons
Minor Management Issues
Its a great place to work
Serving customers as a cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work is being greeted by my work family. I enjoy making people laugh and making their day great. I am a good at multitasking even more thanks to thriftys.
All in it together
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Great customers who become a very big part of your day. Supportive and genuine coworkers that keep the day pleasant, sense of team work. Accommodating department management when trying to achieve work and family balance
Pros
Customers
Cons
Irregular shifts
Great place to work. Very friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colwood, BCApril 7, 2016
Loved the job and work environment, but the hours were hard on a young family. Lots of weekends and evenings. Learned lots about customer service in this position.
i enjoyed it
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 10, 2016
learned to stock shelves, and customer service. I also learned to bag groceries and how to talk to people who needed help.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No benefits