Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Need to let new employees know what they are doing wrong.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 23, 2016
They management needs to let employees know if they are doing well enough to stay before just kind of a one time talk and then letting them go during probationary period without any explanation as to why.
i enjoyed it
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 10, 2016
learned to stock shelves, and customer service. I also learned to bag groceries and how to talk to people who needed help.
Pros
No pros
Cons
No benefits
Its a great place to work
Serving customers as a cashier (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BCApril 13, 2016
A typical day at work is being greeted by my work family. I enjoy making people laugh and making their day great. I am a good at multitasking even more thanks to thriftys.
Great place to work. Very friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colwood, BCApril 7, 2016
Loved the job and work environment, but the hours were hard on a young family. Lots of weekends and evenings. Learned lots about customer service in this position.
Terrible Management
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 6, 2016
As the title says. Management only Focused on getting their bonus. They do not care at all about employees. They expect different amounts of work from people who get paid the same and they never give positive feedback. The view of management is that the employees are never right and that everything must be done their way. Employee ideas are either never used, or the managers take credit for your ideas. All the managers seem like they need to take some basic management courses.
Learned skills
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCApril 5, 2016
At work I learned a lot here and some skills of which I developed will translate with me into different jobs. The environment was good, but some of the management was not the greatest and did not treat us right.
Pros
Good times
Cons
Some Boss
Good people, poor management.
Production Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 2, 2016
There have been plenty of people I've enjoyed working with and I'd say over half the people there have been there 10-20 years, so basically since it first began. A lot of changes have happened since I first started and from my point of view not for the matter. The level of accountability that's expected of me and others in my position versus what is offered for me to grow as a person and progress within the company just isn't matching up.
Fun & great place for a first job
Baker's Helper and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 29, 2016
- Very flexible with your schedule
- Coworkers are like family
- Not an easy job, got to put work and effort into it
- Build up customer service skills
- Fast- paced on holidays & weekly ad changes
- On your feet for long hours
I learned about seafood and how to interact with customers and with co-workers
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 28, 2016
One of the most important thing at Thrifty's was their trainee program. This trainee program showed us what they expect from us and showed us how to do the job safely and with finesse.
Thrifty's is a great company.
All in it together
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Great customers who become a very big part of your day. Supportive and genuine coworkers that keep the day pleasant, sense of team work. Accommodating department management when trying to achieve work and family balance
Pros
Customers
Cons
Irregular shifts
Fast Paced, friendly staff and ability to grow
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 29, 2016
Love it but was starting to feel more corporate. Lots of expectations (from higher-ups) with little extras to help get them done.
Staff was amazing and the job itself was great, just getting harder to balance work vs home as the higher up you go the the less restrictions you can have.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
a lot of rules and policies...alot
Fun atmosphere, great training, excellent coworkers
Cashier, front end (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 28, 2016
I loved working here. I enjoyed coming to work. There are people of all ages that have a lot in common with your circumstance (making money, saving for school, travel, and/or both.) Mostly consists of students, but everyone is extremely friendly and helpful.
Pros
Atmosphere
Great workplace for students
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJanuary 26, 2016
My time spent at Thrifty Foods was during my highschool years. They were very flexible with hours and working around my schedule
Pros
Local Business
Cons
no benefits
Absolutely Amazing!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJanuary 22, 2016
I worked at Thrifty Foods For five years. The management was friendly and they helped with any problems you had. My fellow co-workers and I were so close it was almost like our department had become a second family. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job for me was getting only part time hours instead of the hours that I had requested. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the fact that I could talk to people all day.
Pros
location
Cons
only got part time hours
Productive and fun place to work with others
Seafood Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 18, 2016
- I deal with Ordering product and supervising my fellow co-workers/ aiding the manager.
- Constantly multi-tasking throughout the day
- I aid with: - production
- Customer service
- Management
- Chronos (scheduling)
- Hardest part of the job would be having to leave it

- Most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with Customers and working as a team.
Pros
Good hours
Friendly, energetic place of employmen
Cashier/Front End (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 7, 2015
During my time at Thrifty foods both customers and fellow employees were extremely welcoming and friendly. I was a very drama free workplace and each shift was always a pleasure.
The managment was always fair and understanding. My co-workers were always kind and helpful when i required asisstance in whatever area I was having trouble with at the moment.
As far as the hardest part of the job I'd have to say that when being taught any one new task or skill it can always seem confusing or difficult at the time, but I have always been a fast learner and quickly caught on to what I had briefly found difficult.
The most enjoyable part of my job was by far the customers and my daily interactions with them. Always an enjoable encounter.
Pros
Consistencies
Cons
Not enough hours
Relaxed environment
Meat clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 6, 2015
Was an enjoyable place to work with relaxed people. Management was easy-going as long as the job got done. Lots of policies and demands, but completely doable. I left because schooling was interfering
Great work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  CourtenayAugust 26, 2015
Sometimes the customers can be a little rough, but there's 100 awesome people for every 1 grouchy person. Those people are what makes it worth it coming to work every day; besides the employees. Every day when I walk into work I go through the floral, bakery, produce, meat & sea food, and sometimes grocery departments. Every day, every one of those departments at least says hello to me, and makes a genuine effort to see how I'm doing. Thriftys is a place that makes you feel welcomed, and fortunate to be in such a positive place.
Pros
Break room treats, break times
Cons
Mean customers, long hours
Terrible place to work
General warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey warehouseJuly 30, 2015
I worked at the Surrey warehouse for 3.5 years and this is what I leaned:

- you will never move up in the company, unless some supervisor quits (never happened in almost 4 years)

- you will be picking boxes that are heavier than what's in your job description

- you will be under constant pressure to pick boxes faster and faster from supervisors that take unlimited breaks, smoke breaks and who occasionally DRINK ON THE JOB and then drive heavy machinery ENDANGERING EMPLOYEES

- management does NOT care about your Heath or you hurting your back, so long as you don't mess up the "days without injuries" board so that they can look good to corporate

- once a year when you have to take a survey to rate your own warehouse you see management putting on their best fake faces and then they tell you about the importance of us rating them as high as we can (you feel on the spot)

- and by far, the most important thing I learned from my time at the thrifty foods Surrey warehouse is:

"It's better to be white than to be right"
Pros
Stable employment due to high turnover rate
Cons
No future, terrible management
Great people
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJuly 29, 2015
Organized, well run and they work with you and your availability. Kind and caring employers. All around great place to work.