Thrifty Foods

Thrifty Foods Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great place to work, I didn't get the experience I felt I deserved however.
Service Cashier (Former Employee), Mill Bay, BCMarch 22, 2015
Pros: great community and job culture, nice, clean, well maintained facilities, and very friendly and helpful supervisors.
Cons: i felt like my manager didn't treat me fairly.
Thrifty Foods is a great, reliable, friendly company, and I really enjoyed my time there. All of my co-workers were really supportive and friendly and helped me adapt quickly to this new environment, I thought everything was going very well. However, I was working 2 jobs and biking half an hour to work every day and I accidentally mixed up my schedules and ended up missing a shift. My supervisors assured me that it was alright, it happens, and that they understood. However, a week or two later, my manager called me up to her office. To be clear, I had never worked with her personally once. She spent a lot of her time in her office, and I didn't even know until after I lost my job that she does indeed work down on the floor sometimes. She called me up to her office to tell me that I'm not reliable enough for the front end, and that she was here to tell me that I would no longer work at Thrifty Foods. I don't feel like this was a fair way to end my employment, as there had been a few others that had missed shifts on top of being half an hour or more late to work several times. I had only ever been about 2-5 minutes late, and on only 3 occasions at most. All of my fellow co-workers expressed their regret that I had to leave, and many were totally mystified at how I had lost my job.
fun and enjoyable place to work, the employees were a fun group to work with.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Victoria B.C.February 17, 2015
I would start the day by going to the Customer Service desk to see where I would be working for the start of my shift.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers and the people I worked with.
A positive environment, with great co-workers.
Cashier (Former Employee), Sidney, British ColumbiaFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: helpful co-workers
A typical work day was arriving to a positive environment, providing helpful and excellent customer service throughout the day, then ending the day in a positive mood.
I learned many ways of providing great customer service to customers.
The management was very kind, and helpful whenever i had a question or needed help.
My co-workers were great people, they helped me when i was being trained for the job, and i have made a few long lasting friendships from the job.
The hardest part of being a cashier was helping resolve issues the customer may have with the store, but i was trained well and can handle stressful environments very well.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk to new people everyday, and helping the customers have a positive shopping experience at the store.
Lots of fun. Fast paced enviroment.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Victoria BCFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: low income
Served customers consistently. I worked night shifts, during those shifts I would prepare pizzas, sandwiches and salads for the next day. I had a ton of fun working for this company.
So so place to work for experiance
Warehouse (Former Employee), SurreyJanuary 29, 2015
Cons: pay, poor management, forced overtime, called in
I had worked at the Thrifty foods warehouse out in Surrey for just over a year before i parted ways. At first i thought it was pretty good and i worked really hard to show it, they said i would get trained on a whole bunch of other equipment which took forever. They would call me in on my days of to work and holidays because no one else wanted to work or called in. After leaving the company i still talked to a couple of guys that still work and they say the managers were talking bs about me which i thought was pretty poor of the management. I would not recommend this place to a friend to work at because there are plenty of other warehouses out there that pay better, and have a better culture at.
Good at working around school, safe environment
Clerk/Decorator (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCDecember 26, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: sometimes slow, limited amount of work to do
Working at thrifty's taught me how to work with others and how to be diplomatic during disagreements with co-workers or customers. I enjoy working at Thrifty's because I get to show my creative side while decorating cakes and also present my efficiency and quality of working by creating the best product in a shorter amount of time. Typically I would come to work, make a list of tasks for myself and work until I completed them. I itemize tasks and complete them according to highest priority. Making the list of tasks is completely self sufficient as well as completion of the listed tasks. When I had finished all the tasks on my list I would start on extra duties or complete tasks for the next day such as completing the cake orders for the next day. Overall I have enjoyed my time at Thrifty's and believe they are a great employers and understand the university life and are able to be flexible because of it.
not great management
Floral Clerk/ Acting Manager (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: lots of work available.
Cons: lots of work and not much satisfaction.
My time there was interesting, I spent a lot of my days Cleaning up and processing the stock. Thrifty Foods in Maple Ridge was not very well run, it was a new store that had just opened so things are bound to go wrong. it was a good working experience for me because I learned how to stand up for myself.
Work experience at Thrifty's
Store Associate (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCDecember 2, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers, good environment, good quality products
Cons: lots of staff( very slim chance of getting hired)
A typical worked day consisted of facing, organizing and re stocking product. I also assisted customers and helped bag groceries when needed. I learned an easier way of facing the product.( facing only 4 inches of the product, then once it's gone pull the next 4 inches forward.) Overall I did 7 shifts and all the co-workers I got to know were super friendly and helpful. Great environment. The hardest part of doing work experience there was having to grab one of my co-workers to help a customer sometimes if I wasn't able to answer their question but if I worked there longer and knew more about the company I think I would be able to abit better, having a little bit more knowledge. The most enjoyable part was being able to help customers and sharing my knowledge and experiences on certain products etc.
A good place to work and be part of a team
grocery Clerk (Former Employee), NanaimoOctober 13, 2014
Pros: company cares for its employees
Cons: you have to work all hours
I enjoy my time working at Thrifty Foods. A found the mangers I worked with to be both friendly and polite. This goes along way to making everyone feel part of the team and over time I was able to come to know many of co-works as friends. My time here helped come to understand what it mean to part of a team that delivers quality consistently and strives to keep improving. I look back fondly on my time spent there and would recommend thrifty food as great place to work.
long term work place
Baker Helper (Current Employee), Sidney , VicAugust 14, 2014
if you follow the order , and do your best everything will be OK
Enjoyable Place to work with supportive co workers and management
File Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 26, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: irregular shift schedule
This was a place I enjoyed coming to work every day, the co workers were wonderful and the tasks were challenging and engaging. I learned a lot here about what kind of things I would love to do in future Jobs as my favorite part of the job was the Admin aspect of it. I loved working with the computer and the database of the stores inventory. I also learned a lot about prioritizing and handling stress.
The people and management were hugely supportive, and ready to help you.
I loved this work place.
A very good work environment that i enjoyed.
grocery clerk (Current Employee), 270 E columbia streetJuly 21, 2014
my time at thrifty foods has been a joy. it was enjoyable and provided me with a good variety of work experience with things i had not yet dealt with.
fun workplace. Great coworkers
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Sidney, BCJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long commute
learned interpersonal skills, and teamwork. The most difficult days were when there were problems with the computers. The best part was serving many communities by sending quality groceries to the stores.
Fun coworkers
Bakery Clerk/Decorator (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCJuly 8, 2014
Im trained in Decorating and clerking in the bakery, so I never know what im going to be doing during the day. My decorating sills have improved with some tips from co workers. Co workers are the main reason I have fun at work. The hardest part of my job is waking up so early. The most enjoyable part of my job is decorating cakes free style.
need to work ALOT to get any real hours
Cashier (Former Employee), Sidney, BCJune 14, 2014
Cons: no full time
a lot of mixed up hours, not enough hours, no benefits for the part-timers but there are no full-time positions unless you've been there forever
interesting place to work
bakery and cashier (Former Employee), tsawwassen, bcMay 2, 2014
easy going but management needs work. easy to switch departments however wages are not very good.
hard, long hours
Bakery Manager (Former Employee), MillbayMarch 31, 2014
Pros: awesome wages
Cons: long hours, very stressful, hard work
long hours 11/12 hour days
on salary, but good wage
great benefit program
learned payroll
great bonus program
Good Place to work
Role as Bakery Clerk and Baker (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: they usually worked around your life and its was a fun atmosphere
Cons: too much work and not enough hours
A typical day at work for me was either baking in the back or packaging and helping customers. I learned a lot from thriftys, most of my baking experience came from there and my customer service. Management at thriftys goes as follows your department manager, store manager, branch manager and finally company manager. Being where I was I only dealt with department and store, my department manager was great and taught me a lot. My store manager was one of the reasons I quit as he never treated some of our employees with respect and he defiantly lost mine. My co-workers were awesome and I actually would look forward to work with them! We all got along and the atmosphere was amazing. The hardest part of the job was being able to do everything they demanded on time a lot of the time I had to work overtime and deal with a lot of workload. The most enjoyable part of the job was baking. I loved making all the yummy product and the smell and taste of them were great and knowing that I made that and that people are enjoying the product I made.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Courtenay, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: don't have anything to put in here
I loved my job at Thrifty Foods in Courtenay BC.
I had to leave due to a military move.
My supervisors at the time were really good to me.
Lots of fun, meeting all levels of customers.
Very fast paste environment and kept busy at all times.
My day consisted of helping customers finding items.
Explaining our sales and questions about certain food products.
I had a great team to work with and I learnt how to work with different personalities in a team environment.
Richard
service Clerk (Former Employee), Canada safeway Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: communication
Cons: pace
I’m am early bird that likes to get things done and enjoying the day.
I don't like being left alone all day being a baker’s assistant for Canada Safeway, packing muffins was very making sure things are kept clean ,Getting things done on time I found was a bit of a challenge and I needed to be more strategic as I worked.

1 2 3

About Thrifty Foods

Thrifty Foods is a chain of supermarkets located in British Columbia, Canada. It was founded by Alec Campbell and Ernie Skinner – Read more