Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

Good for a temporary or a permanent thing
Everything Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 April 2017
Not a bad employer, but it is hard to not get sucked into it all. Depending on your location and position will determine ones comfort. While they love a position, if the environment is not satisfying, you can simply switch locations depending on your position.
clerk
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 April 2017
good place for students to work, good entry level job with room to grow, looks great on resume too. lots of different options for jobs and position types.
Fun place, great management
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC9 April 2017
Had a great time here, 90% of the people were very happy and relaxed, and while the pay was mediocre, it was a great experience, and great to meet so many friendly, and hardworking people.
Pros
hours went by quickly, very capable management, people were great, often had free food in the break room
Cons
a few rotten apples but that's life, parking sucked, shifts were occasionally strange
Thrifty Foods is a great retail store to work for.
Front End Cashier (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC6 April 2017
Management are great and they treat you very well. The environment is very good and people are always happy and polite. Customers loves to shop at Thrifty's because of it's excellent customer service and you know you're eating healthy and locally grown foods are the ones they promoted first. Managers are awesome and the Store Manager always greeted everybody and even works on the floor too. Good people, good store!
Pros
Good employees and Managers
Cons
not enough hours
got paid well
Produce Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC22 March 2017
depending on which location you work at job can be fun. Most people were fairly miserable and frequently complained about management and their jobs.I got paid well, and am thankful for that
Hated this job
Victoria Highlanders Manager / Game Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colwood, BC21 March 2017
I could not have enjoyed working here less. Unless customer service is your passion then you will be constantly bombarded with nasty satanic like customers who strive to make you feel inferior. Also the management sucks.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC30 January 2017
I found my time at Thrifty Foods to be fast paced but manageable as I was attending high school at the time. The hours were flexible and management was very understanding in building my schedule.
Fun team, not a lot of hours.
Part-time Cashier (Current Employee) –  James Bay, BC27 January 2017
I really like working at Thrifty Foods. The front end team is amazing and incredibly fun to work with. There's always a great deal of support from everyone if you should require/ask for it, and everyone gets along really well. The down side is, there aren't a lot of hours to go around, and paycheques suffer as a result. Morale has dipped a little since Sobey's took over a few years ago, and I've noticed more than a couple of grouchy faces in the last year.
Pros
Easy to work with team
Cons
Limited hours
Great benefits plan
DEPTARTMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 January 2017
The environment is quite mediocre and does not support creativity. Great benefits plan and fair wages. Great for corporately minded individuals and those that like working in teams.
Good work enviroment
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  B.C9 January 2017
Thrifty foods is one of the best employers in Canada they take the time to train you well. The work atmosphere is positive and is a happy place to work.
Highschool credits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BC17 December 2016
I volunteered here for free for highschool credits, they said they are gonna bring me on as a real employee, but never did. Even after coming in multiple times asking about the promised they made. Would not recommend working for this management.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Bad management
To help others find what necessities they need at the grocery store.
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 December 2016
Set hours which make it easy to plan schedule. I learned to always smile and be polite to achieve satisfaction from customers. I would always ask manager questions if I was unclear of a task, or ask where a location of a product is. Helping out co-workers would be beneficial because they would often return the favour. The hardest part of the job was to have all the stock in the back completely organized. The most enjoyable part of the job was to satisfy customers so they would have a successful shop with no problems of finding the necessities they need in the grocery store.
Pros
Set schedule weeks in advance
Cons
Working late hours
Good
Deli Employee (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 November 2016
This is a good place to learn how grocery stores work and also how to handle customers as well. The most enjoyable part of this job was definitely the people.
great company
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 November 2016
A very excellent company to work for. Very fast paced and exciting work environment for the customer service cashier positions. They also carry quality, local products for their customers.
Good Work place for student
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC16 November 2016
Thrifty Foods offers great and flexible hours for students! Friendly staff makes it an overall enjoyable place to work. You must have exceptional people skills for this postition.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC10 November 2016
It was fun place to work with good atmosphere.As a cashier I learned to deal with customers ,stay organised and calm under various situation.Working early mornings with wonderful coworkers was my favorite shifts and working late was the hardest part of job.My typical day started at the till packing groceries and handling cash. Sometime when it was not busy i also handled additional duties like cleaning front end and organizing selves.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not Enough hours
Good Workplace
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 November 2016
I liked that management listened and valued my input. Most of my co-workers were great and fun to work with. Lots of contests and events for staff to be involved with.
Energetic work environment that keep you motivated
Administration (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BC4 October 2016
Thrifty Foods is a great company to work for. They value their employees and support their local communities. They have strong values that uphold a high standard for great customer service.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No staff discount
Good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC27 September 2016
Thriftys was an enjoyable place to work and was excellent work experience. I enjoyed working with all my coworkers. I would recommend thriftys as a place for learning
Great working environment. Very accommodating
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Parksville, BC22 September 2016
Fantastic company to work for- good for acknowledging efforts of their employees and acting upon noticing so (raises, etc.) Everyone works as a team. I've overly exceeded my ability to multitask, especially working in Deli because there are so many tasks to be fulfilled in a day and not always enough time to do it - this would probably be the hardest part of the job, time managing. Most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be my co-workers and my manager - everyone is understanding of each, and we work together which helps get the job done at the end of the day. Scheduling is flexible which is nice to still have time off although scheduling is three weeks in advance, they have always made it work.
Pros
Fun activities put together by the company - free lunches, baseball, etc
Cons
No discounts on food for breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thrifty Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval