Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews in Canada

Terrible Management
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 6, 2016
As the title says. Management only Focused on getting their bonus. They do not care at all about employees. They expect different amounts of work from people who get paid the same and they never give positive feedback. The view of management is that the employees are never right and that everything must be done their way. Employee ideas are either never used, or the managers take credit for your ideas. All the managers seem like they need to take some basic management courses.
A productive and fun work place with lots of talented staff and team members.
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCJuly 4, 2016
a typical day at work was me putting on my work clothes. and walking to work and then putting on my name tag and then checking in and getting my "deck" which is your stock or items to put away and then stocking the proper selves with the products.

one thing i learned is that, this job is not easy and it's a very fast pace environment. i learned a new set of skills for my next job...

my co-workers were very helpful and supportive

the hardest part of the job was lifting boxes and stocking the items on the tall selves

most enjoyable part of the job was the experience and meeting the fellow employees and being taught the best way to do what i needed to do
Pros
free lunch breaks
Cons
only one break
Absolutely Amazing!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJanuary 22, 2016
I worked at Thrifty Foods For five years. The management was friendly and they helped with any problems you had. My fellow co-workers and I were so close it was almost like our department had become a second family. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job for me was getting only part time hours instead of the hours that I had requested. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the fact that I could talk to people all day.
Pros
location
Cons
only got part time hours
Learned skills
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCApril 5, 2016
At work I learned a lot here and some skills of which I developed will translate with me into different jobs. The environment was good, but some of the management was not the greatest and did not treat us right.
Pros
Good times
Cons
Some Boss
Fun, engaging workplace
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 13, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is the variety of work duties. My position is not cookie-cutter in the sense that I do the same thing day in and day out.
I have been given opportunity for growth and advancement in the short 3 years I have been a part of this team.
Management is each department has been a huge part of this advancement. They have entrusted me to take on some of their ordering preparation and alleviate their work load.
Pros
Strong engagement throughout the store
Cons
Inconsistent work days & hours
Productive and fun place to work with others
Seafood Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJanuary 18, 2016
- I deal with Ordering product and supervising my fellow co-workers/ aiding the manager.
- Constantly multi-tasking throughout the day
- I aid with: - production
- Customer service
- Management
- Chronos (scheduling)
- Hardest part of the job would be having to leave it

- Most enjoyable part of the job would be dealing with Customers and working as a team.
Pros
Good hours
Fun & great place for a first job
Baker's Helper and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 29, 2016
- Very flexible with your schedule
- Coworkers are like family
- Not an easy job, got to put work and effort into it
- Build up customer service skills
- Fast- paced on holidays & weekly ad changes
- On your feet for long hours
All in it together
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 3, 2016
Great customers who become a very big part of your day. Supportive and genuine coworkers that keep the day pleasant, sense of team work. Accommodating department management when trying to achieve work and family balance
Pros
Customers
Cons
Irregular shifts
mentally draining
KEY PRODUCE CLERK (Current Employee) –  South Surrey, BCJuly 5, 2016
Thrifty foods was a good learning experience for me. It helped me to expand my knowledge on leadership as well as how to write orders for a large company. Although while working for this company I have found myself bogged down, I find myself constantly trying to please my managers and supervisors, but they see to all want different things. If i am making one happy i am making the other unhappy. It has become impossible to do anything right.
Good people, poor management.
Production Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 2, 2016
There have been plenty of people I've enjoyed working with and I'd say over half the people there have been there 10-20 years, so basically since it first began. A lot of changes have happened since I first started and from my point of view not for the matter. The level of accountability that's expected of me and others in my position versus what is offered for me to grow as a person and progress within the company just isn't matching up.
Ch-ch-ch-chaaaaanges.
Store Level (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCJune 29, 2016
I came in during the final years of Alex Campbell Sr.'s 'Thrifty Foods' and man, what a fantastic company. Now that Sobeys is at the helm, it seems that with every year that passes, the sad metamorphosis of Thriftys in the cogs of this massive corporate machine is progressing.

So much is expected now; there is a huge communication rift between 'head office people' and 'store level employees'. Rules, regulations and operational procedures are being handed down with little consideration to each location's individual needs and 'rhythms'. I get that the company needs to be competitive, but the communication and condescension is disheartening. Regarding what comes down the pipes, it's 'their way or the highway'.

Long story short, Thrifty Foods is being swallowed. It's all about the money; much is being expected of skeleton crew staff, people are getting discouraged and even the customer suffers due to employees being stretched thin. That individual attention -- and trust me, I enjoy helping each and every customer one-on-one when I get the TIME and ABILITY amidst all that is expected -- is lessening despite the best efforts of dedicated employees.
Pros
Chances to cross-train, great staff, customer relations.
Cons
Getting too big and too corporately money-hungry, pay caps.
Great workplace for students
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJanuary 26, 2016
My time spent at Thrifty Foods was during my highschool years. They were very flexible with hours and working around my schedule
Pros
Local Business
Cons
no benefits
Ok for school kids, not a career
Bakery Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 20, 2016
Do not trap yourself working for this company. It does fully depend on your manager but after working for the company for 6+ years in various different locations I do not recommend it as a place to work for more than a part time job.
Need to let new employees know what they are doing wrong.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 23, 2016
They management needs to let employees know if they are doing well enough to stay before just kind of a one time talk and then letting them go during probationary period without any explanation as to why.
like staff and customers
Customer Service/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2016
I am happy to have the chance to work at Thrifty Foods the customers are great and so are the staff. We all do an amazing job, and customers recognize me in the community.
Pros
fun people
Cons
freedom
Long Hard Days, Rewarding Results
Seafood Manager (Current Employee) –  Parksville BCMay 16, 2015
Thrifty Foods is a great company to work for if you have the attitude and desire to work hard. I became a manager after just over 2 and a half years. Because of my desire, my interest and being motivated to succeed. You will have good and bad days. Long days at time usually 11 hours a day but if you are under a manager you won't usually work more than 8. Good pay and room for growth, really have to pick the department you love and see room to grow in and the rest, along with hard work, will pay off.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits, Pension Plan, Room to Advance
Cons
Long Days, Lots of Weekends, Stress
Thrifty's was great.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJune 13, 2016
Working at Thrifty's was easily the best place I have worked. I loved the people, the customers, and had a blast every day at work.
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Opportunities.
Cons
Minor Management Issues
Great work environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  CourtenayAugust 26, 2015
Sometimes the customers can be a little rough, but there's 100 awesome people for every 1 grouchy person. Those people are what makes it worth it coming to work every day; besides the employees. Every day when I walk into work I go through the floral, bakery, produce, meat & sea food, and sometimes grocery departments. Every day, every one of those departments at least says hello to me, and makes a genuine effort to see how I'm doing. Thriftys is a place that makes you feel welcomed, and fortunate to be in such a positive place.
Pros
Break room treats, break times
Cons
Mean customers, long hours
I learned about seafood and how to interact with customers and with co-workers
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 28, 2016
One of the most important thing at Thrifty's was their trainee program. This trainee program showed us what they expect from us and showed us how to do the job safely and with finesse.
Thrifty's is a great company.
Great place to work. Very friendly people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colwood, BCApril 7, 2016
Loved the job and work environment, but the hours were hard on a young family. Lots of weekends and evenings. Learned lots about customer service in this position.