Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

Good
Deli Employee (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 November 2016
This is a good place to learn how grocery stores work and also how to handle customers as well. The most enjoyable part of this job was definitely the people.
great company
Customer Service Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 November 2016
A very excellent company to work for. Very fast paced and exciting work environment for the customer service cashier positions. They also carry quality, local products for their customers.
Good Work place for student
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC16 November 2016
Thrifty Foods offers great and flexible hours for students! Friendly staff makes it an overall enjoyable place to work. You must have exceptional people skills for this postition.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC10 November 2016
It was fun place to work with good atmosphere.As a cashier I learned to deal with customers ,stay organised and calm under various situation.Working early mornings with wonderful coworkers was my favorite shifts and working late was the hardest part of job.My typical day started at the till packing groceries and handling cash. Sometime when it was not busy i also handled additional duties like cleaning front end and organizing selves.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not Enough hours
Good Workplace
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC9 November 2016
I liked that management listened and valued my input. Most of my co-workers were great and fun to work with. Lots of contests and events for staff to be involved with.
Energetic work environment that keep you motivated
Administration (Current Employee) –  Port Moody, BC4 October 2016
Thrifty Foods is a great company to work for. They value their employees and support their local communities. They have strong values that uphold a high standard for great customer service.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No staff discount
Good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC27 September 2016
Thriftys was an enjoyable place to work and was excellent work experience. I enjoyed working with all my coworkers. I would recommend thriftys as a place for learning
Great working environment. Very accommodating
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Parksville, BC22 September 2016
Fantastic company to work for- good for acknowledging efforts of their employees and acting upon noticing so (raises, etc.) Everyone works as a team. I've overly exceeded my ability to multitask, especially working in Deli because there are so many tasks to be fulfilled in a day and not always enough time to do it - this would probably be the hardest part of the job, time managing. Most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be my co-workers and my manager - everyone is understanding of each, and we work together which helps get the job done at the end of the day. Scheduling is flexible which is nice to still have time off although scheduling is three weeks in advance, they have always made it work.
Pros
Fun activities put together by the company - free lunches, baseball, etc
Cons
No discounts on food for breaks
Very positive environment with friendly co-workers
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC5 September 2016
Very safe and organized work areas, training was taken care of early and co-workers were always helpful. Salary was significantly above minimum wage and there were always job advancement possibilities.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, occasional food in break room
Cons
store was uncomfortably cold at times
Fit all boxes as far as work life balance
Floral manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford ,new Westminster and Mapleridge3 September 2016
Worked at thrifty store 25,28, and 31. Also helped in opening two new locations. Worked at Al lowermainland locations atmosphere pleasant. Loved customer device and contact with new customers creating a friendly environment.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Nil
Great place to work for all ages
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BC2 September 2016
Working at Thriftys has taught me how to be patient, to pay attention to detail and how to handle difficult customers or situations.The people I work with are kind and caring for the most part. It's a fun environment to work in. Although I would not recommmended it for someone that has a hard time standing for long periods of time.
Pros
Free food in the staff room on occasion
Cons
No store discounts
like staff and customers
Customer Service/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC22 July 2016
I am happy to have the chance to work at Thrifty Foods the customers are great and so are the staff. We all do an amazing job, and customers recognize me in the community.
Pros
fun people
Cons
freedom
Ok for school kids, not a career
Bakery Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 July 2016
Do not trap yourself working for this company. It does fully depend on your manager but after working for the company for 6+ years in various different locations I do not recommend it as a place to work for more than a part time job.
good
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BC7 July 2016
very nice store loved working there great bunch of staff and enjoyable store and a fantastic location locations
mentally draining
KEY PRODUCE CLERK (Current Employee) –  South Surrey, BC5 July 2016
Thrifty foods was a good learning experience for me. It helped me to expand my knowledge on leadership as well as how to write orders for a large company. Although while working for this company I have found myself bogged down, I find myself constantly trying to please my managers and supervisors, but they see to all want different things. If i am making one happy i am making the other unhappy. It has become impossible to do anything right.
A productive and fun work place with lots of talented staff and team members.
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC4 July 2016
a typical day at work was me putting on my work clothes. and walking to work and then putting on my name tag and then checking in and getting my "deck" which is your stock or items to put away and then stocking the proper selves with the products.

one thing i learned is that, this job is not easy and it's a very fast pace environment. i learned a new set of skills for my next job...

my co-workers were very helpful and supportive

the hardest part of the job was lifting boxes and stocking the items on the tall selves

most enjoyable part of the job was the experience and meeting the fellow employees and being taught the best way to do what i needed to do
Pros
free lunch breaks
Cons
only one break
Ch-ch-ch-chaaaaanges.
Store Level (Former Employee) –  Langford, BC29 June 2016
I came in during the final years of Alex Campbell Sr.'s 'Thrifty Foods' and man, what a fantastic company. Now that Sobeys is at the helm, it seems that with every year that passes, the sad metamorphosis of Thriftys in the cogs of this massive corporate machine is progressing.

So much is expected now; there is a huge communication rift between 'head office people' and 'store level employees'. Rules, regulations and operational procedures are being handed down with little consideration to each location's individual needs and 'rhythms'. I get that the company needs to be competitive, but the communication and condescension is disheartening. Regarding what comes down the pipes, it's 'their way or the highway'.

Long story short, Thrifty Foods is being swallowed. It's all about the money; much is being expected of skeleton crew staff, people are getting discouraged and even the customer suffers due to employees being stretched thin. That individual attention -- and trust me, I enjoy helping each and every customer one-on-one when I get the TIME and ABILITY amidst all that is expected -- is lessening despite the best efforts of dedicated employees.
Pros
Chances to cross-train, great staff, customer relations.
Cons
Getting too big and too corporately money-hungry, pay caps.
Thrifty's was great.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC13 June 2016
Working at Thrifty's was easily the best place I have worked. I loved the people, the customers, and had a blast every day at work.
Pros
Co-workers, Customers, Opportunities.
Cons
Minor Management Issues
Fun, engaging workplace
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 June 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is the variety of work duties. My position is not cookie-cutter in the sense that I do the same thing day in and day out.
I have been given opportunity for growth and advancement in the short 3 years I have been a part of this team.
Management is each department has been a huge part of this advancement. They have entrusted me to take on some of their ordering preparation and alleviate their work load.
Pros
Strong engagement throughout the store
Cons
Inconsistent work days & hours
Need to let new employees know what they are doing wrong.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC23 May 2016
They management needs to let employees know if they are doing well enough to stay before just kind of a one time talk and then letting them go during probationary period without any explanation as to why.