Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

Great working environment. Very accommodating
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Parksville, BCSeptember 22, 2016
Fantastic company to work for- good for acknowledging efforts of their employees and acting upon noticing so (raises, etc.) Everyone works as a team. I've overly exceeded my ability to multitask, especially working in Deli because there are so many tasks to be fulfilled in a day and not always enough time to do it - this would probably be the hardest part of the job, time managing. Most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be my co-workers and my manager - everyone is understanding of each, and we work together which helps get the job done at the end of the day. Scheduling is flexible which is nice to still have time off although scheduling is three weeks in advance, they have always made it work.
Pros
Fun activities put together by the company - free lunches, baseball, etc
Cons
No discounts on food for breaks
Great workplace for students
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJanuary 26, 2016
My time spent at Thrifty Foods was during my highschool years. They were very flexible with hours and working around my schedule
Pros
Local Business
Cons
no benefits
A productive and fun work place with lots of talented staff and team members.
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCJuly 4, 2016
a typical day at work was me putting on my work clothes. and walking to work and then putting on my name tag and then checking in and getting my "deck" which is your stock or items to put away and then stocking the proper selves with the products.

one thing i learned is that, this job is not easy and it's a very fast pace environment. i learned a new set of skills for my next job...

my co-workers were very helpful and supportive

the hardest part of the job was lifting boxes and stocking the items on the tall selves

most enjoyable part of the job was the experience and meeting the fellow employees and being taught the best way to do what i needed to do
Pros
free lunch breaks
Cons
only one break
Fun, engaging workplace
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 13, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is the variety of work duties. My position is not cookie-cutter in the sense that I do the same thing day in and day out.
I have been given opportunity for growth and advancement in the short 3 years I have been a part of this team.
Management is each department has been a huge part of this advancement. They have entrusted me to take on some of their ordering preparation and alleviate their work load.
Pros
Strong engagement throughout the store
Cons
Inconsistent work days & hours
Terrible Management
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 6, 2016
As the title says. Management only Focused on getting their bonus. They do not care at all about employees. They expect different amounts of work from people who get paid the same and they never give positive feedback. The view of management is that the employees are never right and that everything must be done their way. Employee ideas are either never used, or the managers take credit for your ideas. All the managers seem like they need to take some basic management courses.
mentally draining
KEY PRODUCE CLERK (Current Employee) –  South Surrey, BCJuly 5, 2016
Thrifty foods was a good learning experience for me. It helped me to expand my knowledge on leadership as well as how to write orders for a large company. Although while working for this company I have found myself bogged down, I find myself constantly trying to please my managers and supervisors, but they see to all want different things. If i am making one happy i am making the other unhappy. It has become impossible to do anything right.
Great place to work for all ages
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sidney, BCSeptember 2, 2016
Working at Thriftys has taught me how to be patient, to pay attention to detail and how to handle difficult customers or situations.The people I work with are kind and caring for the most part. It's a fun environment to work in. Although I would not recommmended it for someone that has a hard time standing for long periods of time.
Pros
Free food in the staff room on occasion
Cons
No store discounts
Long Hard Days, Rewarding Results
Seafood Manager (Current Employee) –  Parksville BCMay 16, 2015
Thrifty Foods is a great company to work for if you have the attitude and desire to work hard. I became a manager after just over 2 and a half years. Because of my desire, my interest and being motivated to succeed. You will have good and bad days. Long days at time usually 11 hours a day but if you are under a manager you won't usually work more than 8. Good pay and room for growth, really have to pick the department you love and see room to grow in and the rest, along with hard work, will pay off.
Pros
Good Pay, Good Benefits, Pension Plan, Room to Advance
Cons
Long Days, Lots of Weekends, Stress
Ch-ch-ch-chaaaaanges.
Store Level (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCJune 29, 2016
I came in during the final years of Alex Campbell Sr.'s 'Thrifty Foods' and man, what a fantastic company. Now that Sobeys is at the helm, it seems that with every year that passes, the sad metamorphosis of Thriftys in the cogs of this massive corporate machine is progressing.

So much is expected now; there is a huge communication rift between 'head office people' and 'store level employees'. Rules, regulations and operational procedures are being handed down with little consideration to each location's individual needs and 'rhythms'. I get that the company needs to be competitive, but the communication and condescension is disheartening. Regarding what comes down the pipes, it's 'their way or the highway'.

Long story short, Thrifty Foods is being swallowed. It's all about the money; much is being expected of skeleton crew staff, people are getting discouraged and even the customer suffers due to employees being stretched thin. That individual attention -- and trust me, I enjoy helping each and every customer one-on-one when I get the TIME and ABILITY amidst all that is expected -- is lessening despite the best efforts of dedicated employees.
Pros
Chances to cross-train, great staff, customer relations.
Cons
Getting too big and too corporately money-hungry, pay caps.
Very positive environment with friendly co-workers
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCSeptember 5, 2016
Very safe and organized work areas, training was taken care of early and co-workers were always helpful. Salary was significantly above minimum wage and there were always job advancement possibilities.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, occasional food in break room
Cons
store was uncomfortably cold at times
Fit all boxes as far as work life balance
Floral manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford ,new Westminster and MapleridgeSeptember 3, 2016
Worked at thrifty store 25,28, and 31. Also helped in opening two new locations. Worked at Al lowermainland locations atmosphere pleasant. Loved customer device and contact with new customers creating a friendly environment.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Nil
I enjoyed working for thrifty foods
Supervisor customer service desk - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCApril 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for thrifty foods I left just after Sobeys started making the changes to the company as a staff member we told nothing was going to be changing just that it was owned by Sobeys now but pretty much everything changed and for new staff being hired not such a big deal but they brought in wage caps so I no longer could get raises unless I took a higher position which was unavailable unless one retired.
the staff though were all amazing and fun to work with .
Ok for school kids, not a career
Bakery Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 20, 2016
Do not trap yourself working for this company. It does fully depend on your manager but after working for the company for 6+ years in various different locations I do not recommend it as a place to work for more than a part time job.
Fun & great place for a first job
Baker's Helper and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCFebruary 29, 2016
- Very flexible with your schedule
- Coworkers are like family
- Not an easy job, got to put work and effort into it
- Build up customer service skills
- Fast- paced on holidays & weekly ad changes
- On your feet for long hours
like staff and customers
Customer Service/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2016
I am happy to have the chance to work at Thrifty Foods the customers are great and so are the staff. We all do an amazing job, and customers recognize me in the community.
Pros
fun people
Cons
freedom
Absolutely Amazing!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Moody, BCJanuary 22, 2016
I worked at Thrifty Foods For five years. The management was friendly and they helped with any problems you had. My fellow co-workers and I were so close it was almost like our department had become a second family. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job for me was getting only part time hours instead of the hours that I had requested. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the fact that I could talk to people all day.
Pros
location
Cons
only got part time hours
Learned skills
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Duncan, BCApril 5, 2016
At work I learned a lot here and some skills of which I developed will translate with me into different jobs. The environment was good, but some of the management was not the greatest and did not treat us right.
Pros
Good times
Cons
Some Boss
Good people, poor management.
Production Clerk (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 2, 2016
There have been plenty of people I've enjoyed working with and I'd say over half the people there have been there 10-20 years, so basically since it first began. A lot of changes have happened since I first started and from my point of view not for the matter. The level of accountability that's expected of me and others in my position versus what is offered for me to grow as a person and progress within the company just isn't matching up.
Good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCSeptember 27, 2016
Thriftys was an enjoyable place to work and was excellent work experience. I enjoyed working with all my coworkers. I would recommend thriftys as a place for learning
Need to let new employees know what they are doing wrong.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 23, 2016
They management needs to let employees know if they are doing well enough to stay before just kind of a one time talk and then letting them go during probationary period without any explanation as to why.