Thrifty Foods

Thrifty Foods Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Terrible place to work
General warehouse worker (Former Employee), Surrey warehouseJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Stable employment due to high turnover rate
Cons: No future, terrible management
I worked at the Surrey warehouse for 3.5 years and this is what I leaned:

- you will never move up in the company, unless some supervisor quits (never happened in almost 4 years)

- you will be picking boxes that are heavier than what's in your job description

- you will be under constant pressure to pick boxes faster and faster from supervisors that take unlimited breaks, smoke breaks and who occasionally DRINK ON THE JOB and then drive heavy machinery ENDANGERING EMPLOYEES

- management does NOT care about your Heath or you hurting your back, so long as you don't mess up the "days without injuries" board so that they can look good to corporate

- once a year when you have to take a survey to rate your own warehouse you see management putting on their best fake faces and then they tell you about the importance of us rating them as high as we can (you feel on the spot)

- and by far, the most important thing I learned from my time at the thrifty foods Surrey warehouse is:

"It's better to be white than to be right"
Great people
Deli Associate (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCJuly 29, 2015
Organized, well run and they work with you and your availability. Kind and caring employers. All around great place to work.
good first job
Cashier/Front end (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 21, 2015
Pros: good starter job
Cons: standing in the same spot, muscle aches and pains
I like Thrifties for the welcoming environment, and the bright faces, but the scheduling is all over the place, and not as organized.
Long Hard Days, Rewarding Results
Seafood Manager (Current Employee), Parksville BCMay 16, 2015
Pros: Good Pay, Good Benefits, Pension Plan, Room to Advance
Cons: Long Days, Lots of Weekends, Stress
Thrifty Foods is a great company to work for if you have the attitude and desire to work hard. I became a manager after just over 2 and a half years. Because of my desire, my interest and being motivated to succeed. You will have good and bad days. Long days at time usually 11 hours a day but if you are under a manager you won't usually work more than 8. Good pay and room for growth, really have to pick the department you love and see room to grow in and the rest, along with hard work, will pay off.
I enjoyed working for thrifty foods
Supervisor customer service desk - Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCApril 22, 2015
I enjoyed working for thrifty foods I left just after Sobeys started making the changes to the company as a staff member we told nothing was going to be changing just that it was owned by Sobeys now but pretty much everything changed and for new staff being hired not such a big deal but they brought in wage caps so I no longer could get raises unless I took a higher position which was unavailable unless one retired.
the staff though were all amazing and fun to work with .
A great place to work, I didn't get the experience I felt I deserved however.
Service Cashier (Former Employee), Mill Bay, BCMarch 22, 2015
Pros: great community and job culture, nice, clean, well maintained facilities, and very friendly and helpful supervisors.
Cons: i felt like my manager didn't treat me fairly.
Thrifty Foods is a great, reliable, friendly company, and I really enjoyed my time there. All of my co-workers were really supportive and friendly and helped me adapt quickly to this new environment, I thought everything was going very well. However, I was working 2 jobs and biking half an hour to work every day and I accidentally mixed up my schedules and ended up missing a shift. My supervisors assured me that it was alright, it happens, and that they understood. However, a week or two later, my manager called me up to her office. To be clear, I had never worked with her personally once. She spent a lot of her time in her office, and I didn't even know until after I lost my job that she does indeed work down on the floor sometimes. She called me up to her office to tell me that I'm not reliable enough for the front end, and that she was here to tell me that I would no longer work at Thrifty Foods. I don't feel like this was a fair way to end my employment, as there had been a few others that had missed shifts on top of being half an hour or more late to work several times. I had only ever been about 2-5 minutes late, and on only 3 occasions at most. All of my fellow co-workers expressed their regret that I had to leave, and many were totally mystified at how I had lost my job.
fun and enjoyable place to work, the employees were a fun group to work with.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Victoria B.C.February 17, 2015
I would start the day by going to the Customer Service desk to see where I would be working for the start of my shift.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the customers and the people I worked with.
A positive environment, with great co-workers.
Cashier (Former Employee), Sidney, British ColumbiaFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: helpful co-workers
A typical work day was arriving to a positive environment, providing helpful and excellent customer service throughout the day, then ending the day in a positive mood.
I learned many ways of providing great customer service to customers.
The management was very kind, and helpful whenever i had a question or needed help.
My co-workers were great people, they helped me when i was being trained for the job, and i have made a few long lasting friendships from the job.
The hardest part of being a cashier was helping resolve issues the customer may have with the store, but i was trained well and can handle stressful environments very well.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk to new people everyday, and helping the customers have a positive shopping experience at the store.
Lots of fun. Fast paced enviroment.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Victoria BCFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: low income
Served customers consistently. I worked night shifts, during those shifts I would prepare pizzas, sandwiches and salads for the next day. I had a ton of fun working for this company.
So so place to work for experiance
Warehouse (Former Employee), SurreyJanuary 29, 2015
Cons: pay, poor management, forced overtime, called in
I had worked at the Thrifty foods warehouse out in Surrey for just over a year before i parted ways. At first i thought it was pretty good and i worked really hard to show it, they said i would get trained on a whole bunch of other equipment which took forever. They would call me in on my days of to work and holidays because no one else wanted to work or called in. After leaving the company i still talked to a couple of guys that still work and they say the managers were talking bs about me which i thought was pretty poor of the management. I would not recommend this place to a friend to work at because there are plenty of other warehouses out there that pay better, and have a better culture at.
Good at working around school, safe environment
Clerk/Decorator (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCDecember 26, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: sometimes slow, limited amount of work to do
Working at thrifty's taught me how to work with others and how to be diplomatic during disagreements with co-workers or customers. I enjoy working at Thrifty's because I get to show my creative side while decorating cakes and also present my efficiency and quality of working by creating the best product in a shorter amount of time. Typically I would come to work, make a list of tasks for myself and work until I completed them. I itemize tasks and complete them according to highest priority. Making the list of tasks is completely self sufficient as well as completion of the listed tasks. When I had finished all the tasks on my list I would start on extra duties or complete tasks for the next day such as completing the cake orders for the next day. Overall I have enjoyed my time at Thrifty's and believe they are a great employers and understand the university life and are able to be flexible because of it.
not great management
Floral Clerk/ Acting Manager (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCDecember 8, 2014
Pros: lots of work available.
Cons: lots of work and not much satisfaction.
My time there was interesting, I spent a lot of my days Cleaning up and processing the stock. Thrifty Foods in Maple Ridge was not very well run, it was a new store that had just opened so things are bound to go wrong. it was a good working experience for me because I learned how to stand up for myself.
Work experience at Thrifty's
Store Associate (Former Employee), Port Moody, BCDecember 2, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers, good environment, good quality products
Cons: lots of staff( very slim chance of getting hired)
A typical worked day consisted of facing, organizing and re stocking product. I also assisted customers and helped bag groceries when needed. I learned an easier way of facing the product.( facing only 4 inches of the product, then once it's gone pull the next 4 inches forward.) Overall I did 7 shifts and all the co-workers I got to know were super friendly and helpful. Great environment. The hardest part of doing work experience there was having to grab one of my co-workers to help a customer sometimes if I wasn't able to answer their question but if I worked there longer and knew more about the company I think I would be able to abit better, having a little bit more knowledge. The most enjoyable part was being able to help customers and sharing my knowledge and experiences on certain products etc.
A good place to work and be part of a team
grocery Clerk (Former Employee), NanaimoOctober 13, 2014
Pros: company cares for its employees
Cons: you have to work all hours
I enjoy my time working at Thrifty Foods. A found the mangers I worked with to be both friendly and polite. This goes along way to making everyone feel part of the team and over time I was able to come to know many of co-works as friends. My time here helped come to understand what it mean to part of a team that delivers quality consistently and strives to keep improving. I look back fondly on my time spent there and would recommend thrifty food as great place to work.
long term work place
Baker Helper (Current Employee), Sidney , VicAugust 14, 2014
if you follow the order , and do your best everything will be OK
Enjoyable Place to work with supportive co workers and management
File Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 26, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: irregular shift schedule
This was a place I enjoyed coming to work every day, the co workers were wonderful and the tasks were challenging and engaging. I learned a lot here about what kind of things I would love to do in future Jobs as my favorite part of the job was the Admin aspect of it. I loved working with the computer and the database of the stores inventory. I also learned a lot about prioritizing and handling stress.
The people and management were hugely supportive, and ready to help you.
I loved this work place.
A very good work environment that i enjoyed.
grocery clerk (Current Employee), 270 E columbia streetJuly 21, 2014
my time at thrifty foods has been a joy. it was enjoyable and provided me with a good variety of work experience with things i had not yet dealt with.
fun workplace. Great coworkers
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee), Sidney, BCJuly 18, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long commute
learned interpersonal skills, and teamwork. The most difficult days were when there were problems with the computers. The best part was serving many communities by sending quality groceries to the stores.
Fun coworkers
Bakery Clerk/Decorator (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCJuly 8, 2014
Im trained in Decorating and clerking in the bakery, so I never know what im going to be doing during the day. My decorating sills have improved with some tips from co workers. Co workers are the main reason I have fun at work. The hardest part of my job is waking up so early. The most enjoyable part of my job is decorating cakes free style.
need to work ALOT to get any real hours
Cashier (Former Employee), Sidney, BCJune 14, 2014
Cons: no full time
a lot of mixed up hours, not enough hours, no benefits for the part-timers but there are no full-time positions unless you've been there forever