Thoratec Corporation Employee Reviews

I would not go back.
QA Technician I (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAJuly 10, 2015
I rather not say anything about this company. But they do perform a lot of company activities. Management is kinda shaky as well.
Fast Pace Environment
Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 14, 2015
Thoratec has a great life saving product for heart failure patients, the culture is very fast pace. The normal their is the exception.
Friendly professional Corporation
Corporate Receptionist/Training Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton CaApril 6, 2015
Come into work very happy. News is usually on so I'm always updated on local news. My coworkers are very friendly and always helpful with whatever I need. The hardest part of my job is the down time. The office lobby can get very slow which leaves me with little to do. Being able to interact with people that actually was given a second chance at life is amazing to me.
Pros
Meeting people that lives were saved
Cons
Working with friendly people
Good benefit and great company/corporation. But I don't have a potential growth in my career field.
Test Technician II (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMarch 25, 2015
Thoratec is one of the best quality product to provide and support patients live. I think the management needs to improve and co-workers much work as team member as like family... by supporting each other out.
Pros
Stable Company and good benefits
Cons
No potential on my profession growth
Great work place with a very diverse culture.
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 25, 2014
Typical day is to make sure the demand is achieved on a daily process. I learned to value any help or input no matter how small or no position at all an Employee is in a big Company. I enjoyed working with Employee's on a daily basis, knowing that they love the same thing you do, that they have the same passion why we come to work for the same reason that I do.
Pros
holiday luncheon, summer picnic events, and healthy fundraising competitions.
Great place to work, good culture, and well managed.
Senior R&D Technician (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAOctober 13, 2014
Enjoyed working at Thoratec in Burlington Ma. It was in the R&D Engineering group as a technician on a temp basis for about a 1.5 years.
Pros
great culture and well managed.
Cons
none.
Productive Fun Workplace with very nice people to work with.
Senior C.M.M. Programmer. P.M.I. II (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton CaliforniaOctober 3, 2014
My typical day at work consists of writing C.M.M. Programs for the inspection of precision machined components of our new heart pump designs. I also develop and design the fixtures for the inspection plans. Other days I spend time inspecting production parts for our existing pump the Heart Mate II.
Pros
1. there are very nice coworkers, . 2. our product saves lives, 3. working on new products is very interesting.
Cons
very early start time. low wages on average.
Productive fun place to work
Customer Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 19, 2014
I would reccomend thia company to others. You learn something new everyday.
Quality Assurance Engineer (Contract position 5 months)
(Contract) Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MAMay 16, 2013
I worked for Thoratec for five months. This company is a fantastic company to work for. The Management are great to work for and the environment is nothing but the best. Everyone you work with are very professional, very friendly. Every day is a busy day but the Managers appreciate the hard work the employees put in to each and every day. The permanent hires seem happy with the company and Management treats them very well. I learned that working hard as a team gets the job completed in a timely manner and everyone works as a team at Thoratec. It feels like a family oriented environment. I loved working for them and wish them success in every HeartMate Software Release.
Pros
the employees, management, environment. they let you work from home during really bad inclement weather.
Cons
no con's excellent company to work for!
Good management team
Sr Operations Supervisor/ Equipment (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAApril 29, 2013
Supervisor team is great to work with. There is a closeness not associated with other companies. Like other companies there are some problems that we need to work out with HR; however, overall, I feel the atmosphere is very good here.
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
benefits; career path for some workers are limited.
Intense Company Passionate About Improving Lives
MARKETING TRADE SHOW & EVENTS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAFebruary 25, 2013
Thoratec is a global leader in VAD technology and services. The company is healthy with strong core values. This is a great company for somebody looking for a stable organization who does not fear "burning the candle at both ends".
Pros
great products
Cons
poor work/life balance
Management was fair enough. I learned more in dimensional and functional quality tests on grafts for medical device used in hemodialysis.
QA Technician (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 8, 2012
Thoratec Corporation (medical device company) is up coming company in medical device. Trained on quality testings on incoming components and dimensional and functional tests on grafts used for
medical device in hemodialysis.
Management was fair enough. Co-employees were warm and team
oriented.
My work was temporary and stayed only for a year.
Pros
free annual company picnic and free lunch on holidays; memorial day, christmas..
Cons
low starting salary
Great company ethics
Training & Education (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 11, 2012
I sincerely enjoy working at Thoratec specifically for the product and education that we provide. Nothing could be more rewarding than knowing that we have a some small part in helping others with heart defects. We save lives and comfort families, and provide education for healthcare practitioners to use our lifesaving products.

This being said, each employee is expected to work at an extremely fast pace, and overtime. In my opinion, the workload placed on each employee is above what most can handle on a daily basis. I was once refused overtime pay without verification of the work I was doing, though it was clear that I was putting in at least ten hours a day. I have never been opposed to working overtime, and often do so willingly. However, when refused my overtime pay, I needed to reevaluate the reasoning, and came to the conclusion that it would be wise for me to look elsewhere.

My training was a little sketchy and most of it was learned on my own. My co-workers were always happy to answer a question, but as their workload was as heavy as my own, many times I needed to wait to have an answer while training.
Pros
rewards come from the product and education we provide - saving lives, free lunches on many days
Cons
fast paced to the point that many employees suffer anxiety and many more rarely take breaks or lunch, almost all corporate employees put in a great deal of unspoken overtime, not paid enough to justify