Thompson Rivers University Employee Reviews

Fun and Loving Environment
Board of Director - Graduate Studies (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 September 2016
Very friendly staff . University is very beautiful and i did learn a lot from not only friends, but mentors and seniors. It helped me grow my leadership skills and work hard to be available to help anyone in need.
Great place to work at. Enjoyed time working there.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 September 2016
Basic utilities/ Maintenance Duties fixing things around University and trouble shooting. Worked on Grounds and inside University.Great bunch of guys and girls to work with.
Good place for a student/recent grad looking for a part time job!
Auxiliary Research Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 July 2016
I worked as a research assistant where I helped professors who have overload in their research. My responsibilities included writing up sections of their papers (e.g. literature reviews, introductions, findings, results, and conclusions). I also helped them with data analysis and the development of surveys. The professors were great to work with and provided a lot of insight into what is required when developing journal articles. It was a great job, because I was provided with a flexible schedule, which meant that I could work whenever it was suitable for me. However, the only issue I had with the job was how the site where I had to log in my hours was sometimes buggy and it meant that I had to contact the relevant people who could deal with the issues quite a few times. Overall, I would say that it is a great part-time job for a recent graduate like myself.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Great professors to work with
Cons
Employee site can be buggy
productive and happy environment
Front counter server / Cashier / (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 July 2016
Fun,happy,warm environment to work with,easy to get along with each team members,maintain the happy environment to make sure that every each team member is happy before and after work.
A very conducive environment to work
Coordinator, International Marketing(Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 February 2016
Working in the international marketing department has given me an avenue to learn and see things in other's perspective. It has also helped me to learn from people from all over the world
Sessional Instructor
Dec 2015 Sessional Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 October 2015
This year I am teaching ABTS 1400 Financial Accounting. Like last year at the Chase satellite campus, this course is so much fun to teach. Teaching on campus is a bit more formal than the class I taught in Chase last year. I love the challenge of introducing students to accounting.
Responsible for organizing and supervising the events and activities for domestic, aboriginal and international students in Thompson Rivers University
Activity Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 May 2014
• Supervise the events such as snowboarding, skiing, Halloween parties, hockey games, wine tours, white water rafting, etc. for up to 200 students.
• Take pictures or videos and follow up the events on Facebook page and other media tools.
• Provide a leadership role and first aid on the events.
It is flexible and I can scheduled the time for my shifts as my demand
Math Tutor (Teaching Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Kamloops BC17 December 2012
The job is generally easy, I simply explain materials to students who do not understand the subjects in lectures. I learn to teach better each day and the supervisors are very nice to me. The hardest part of the job would be try to explain subject that I do not know such as business math. My most enjoyable part of the job is making people to pass that is one great accomplishment.
Pros
lots of free candy
Working for over 10+ years with TRU...
Instructor & Administration Auxiliary (Current Employee) –  Williams Lake, BC8 January 2015
A very nice environment to work in. Busy schedules but everyone always has a moment to stop and help if needed.

The students bring the biggest accomplishments in my field. We, as instructors, base our days on student success. This is where we feel our job is well done when they learn and go on with the lives.
Flex work time, Communication with student.
TA of the Economic Department (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 October 2013
It is fun to be a tutor in school. I can talk with many students helping them identify and solve their questions. They come from different countries. It is always interesting to know the culture of a foreign country. To be an assistant for an instructor, I would like to finish my work before the died line.
Great Experience
Math Help Lab TA (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC1 July 2015
I worked as a Student TA for the Math Help Center. I had a great experience helping other students while also getting a decent wage to help pay my own tuition.
Good university with excellent facilities for studying
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 June 2013
Friendly atmosphere with opportunity to learn from senior management. I had a lot of room for creativity in my job functions.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little competition and thus too much job security
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC18 January 2014
Accolades Dining Room is a fine dining experience that serves 5 course meals and also has an excellent wine menu to accompany meals.
The culinary department also caters banquet events for large amounts of guests. They are either plate service of 3 - 5 course meals or buffet style.
At TRU's culinary department I have expanded my knowledge of fine food and wine. I also learned to appreciate the hard work and effective communication the front of the house and back had to put into an event to provide an amazing experience for the guests.
The management of Accolades have been there for many years and my coworkers were enjoyable to work with.
The hardest part but also an enjoyable challenge of the job was time management in set up however we never failed to be ready for service.
The most enjoyable part of my job was interaction with the guests and being able to help make their experience an enjoyable one so they would want to return to our establishment and experience it all again.
Pros
the salary
Cons
it was only on call part time
work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC5 December 2012
• Excellent communication skills, positive attitudes
• Maintain the appearance of the working place making sure it is clean at all times
• Responsible to prepare all food needed.
• Serve, take and prepare customer orders with accuracy.
Hands on research experience in the forensic psychology realm
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 October 2014
Worked side-by-side with two experienced psychologists conducting research around the province of British Columbia.
Great Professors
Work Study for Geography Department (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC28 April 2014
The professors were great and there was always something new to be done. I loved the flexible hours and how it worked well around my school schedule.
excellent
Marketing Project (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC29 September 2014
this is my school where i studied. and have lots of international student. this give u knowlege of human behaviour and their religions from different countries.
benefits were good but that was about it
former employee (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 January 2013
Your life will be TRU and nothing else. If not a union employee they dont really care about you, will wear you out
Cons
long hours, no loyalty
Full time student
Student (Former Employee) –  Kamloops23 January 2015
Excellent support while living in two different countries and different time zones - highly recommended.
interesting and student engaging
TEAM PROJECT (Former Employee) –  kamloops20 February 2014
Thompson rivers university is an interesting fun and engaging institute to be as a student.
Pros
BBQ lunch
Cons
long days

4.6