Thompson Bros Employee Reviews

Not very good
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB24 August 2017
Very unorganized place for new hires, low pay, and no one to meet and greet and show you around when you first arive at there filthy dirty camp, that you are charged 30 dollars a day to stay in. You have to figure everything out on your own with very little guidance. Most of the employees were great guys, and some were just down right disrespectful to others trying to sleep after a long day at work, slamming doors, yelling in there rooms or in the hallways at 2 or 3am when they are drunk. If this sounds like the kind of place you like to spend 21 days a month, than this is definitely for you lol
Pros
Mostly decent employees, and heavy equipment to operate
Cons
Everything else
work
Rock truck driver/ operator 773,777 (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 May 2017
To whom it may concern,

I am very joyful person an always on time. I am a very good listener an respect other an I always their to help an I am here to learn more too. I am a very safe driver an I got over 3 years experience in the mine. I have drove the for season so the weather will not be a problem for me an I work days/nights. My number one rules for me is be safe an you will go home to your family. I hope that you guys give me a change an ill be good for your team.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
was ok to make some quick money but not a place for long term too clique
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ft. McMurray, AB3 March 2017
was a very cliquey type of company if you knew the foreman or supervisor it was good. But i witnessed a lot of favouritism, like one of the foreman's girlfriend getting the grader position when she didn't have a clue how to operate it and the regular operator who was an excellent road finish operator put onto the water truck. one of the mechanics who got his job because he married the owners daughter but didn't even have a ticket( and was a lousy mechanic to boot)..that kind of stuff was rampant at Thompson Bros.
Pros
some of the crews were ok but favouratism was rampant
Cons
camp was an old camp brought in to get the job done no amenities
fun productive work place
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 February 2017
would like to work for this company again
great fourmean and management
the scheduling was a little bit of a issue
but the stuff handled it responsible
worker
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Wandering River, AB24 November 2016
Thompson bros is a great company to work for, good management, as well as great bosses. Their safety practices are phenomenal.
Busy mining environment
Equipment Operator / Foreman (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 April 2016
Working with heavy equipment road building,reclamation,and mining i worked well with a wonderful team very good supervision.i always had good communication with the crews did walk arounds on all equipment.Worked long hours.
Pros
great incentives
Cons
to much turn around on jobs
Great place for experience and career advancement
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Fort Mackay, AB12 March 2016
Overall the company treated me well. Alot of the management were fairly inexperienced which made things very difficult at times and caused alot of pointed fingers. Besides that the company is great. Supplying jobs to many people and often if the workers show interest in moving up and working on better equipment or want to advance to a new position, for example labourer to surveyor, or labourer to heavy equipment operator. The foremen provide the training needed for these workers to advance their skills and careers. Survey crew was exceptional with all of the flack that they received and continually worked hard daily and pushed themselves to get everything done.A surveyor at thompson brothers if educated and knowledgeable often share the job of foreman alongside the foreman, but also tackles all of the duties that he is required and needs to complete.
Pros
great advancement. Great people.
Cons
Lower pay than most. Poor management. majority of foremen are unknowledgeable or unexperienced.
Very hands on learning environment.
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Spurce Grove, Ab2 March 2016
Learned how to operate and work on equipment, including excavators, front end loaders cetera. Gained valuable skills that still use in other work environments today.
A great company to work with.
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2015
I really enjoyed working with Thompson Bros.
they paid great wages and had a good safety program.
I would rate them a five out of five.
Good crews to work with most foreman ok some just bad
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB3 September 2015
Ok to work for. Probably will be better when oil prices get better and the big companies release more money for projects. At least camp and flights where included so I didn't have to pay for that.
A very safe place to work and nice equipment to operate
heavy equipment opertor (Former Employee) –  Fort Mc MURRAY5 August 2015
I enjoyed working there we always had alot of work in the suncor mine site suncor liked our finished work we did the jobs on time.working at fort hills was great to suncor gave us alot of work they also liked our finished work there also and the camps were great to stay at.
Pros
worked on alot of different jobs and equipment
Cons
i had to pay for my own flights
Wonderful working environment, Lots of opportunity to move up
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Lac La Biche, AB19 March 2015
- Lots of learning and training on equipment such as excavator, grader, rock truck
-Learned how to be confident and independent on the machines I was operating.
-My management team was great, they were very supportive and positive.
- I enjoyed the team of employees I worked with, they were all very close knit and had been working together for a while.
- The hardest part of my job was not letting my guard down. There are always going to be days where you are going to lose confidence, but you still keep moving forward.
- The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to overcome challenging experiences.
Pros
Lots of operating time
Cons
The economy falling
not bad nothing to exciting
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 October 2014
Thompson bros is a good fill job but dont expect a career out of it.
Busy busy busy
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 June 2014
Great company. year round work. Crews all get along well. mostly camp work. good equipment.
Pros
busy busy busy
Cons
busy busy
good place to start out
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  fort mcmurray16 May 2014
usually always have work, low paying for the work done, half decent benefits. Your days there all depend on where you are working for how you are treated. Mine site you aren't treated the best unless you suck up to forman
a very professional business
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  peace river alberta6 May 2014
I enjoyed working here. Thompsons bros is an awesome comapnay that takes care of their employees
Pros
great pay
Good Company
Rock Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 February 2014
Decent company to work for the camp could be better... you have to supply your own tv and internet
very well organized company
clean up crew (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB18 February 2014
always work hard but at the same time,have a good laugh with co-workers and always helping each other
Pros
9 hour days, 5 days a week with all weekends off
Cons
no cons at all
they move dirt
equipment operator (Former Employee) –  alberta28 November 2013
one of the best companies in northern alberta to move dirt but you never know if you have your job next month
I tried to give it a 4 star but the site is messed up
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC7 November 2013
Good place for anyone starting out to go. They will help u to develop your skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thompson Bros. Our community is ready to answer.