Things Remembered Employee Reviews in Canada

Typical Day at work:
Dealing with various customers

What I Learned at work:
Manager Skills
Engraving products (metal to glass)

Management:
Regional/District only cares about well-being of themselves and the company (which is understandable on a company basis)
Does not care about well-being of staff or management team
Makes empty promises; don't expect a lot or change
Dishonest with contract raises (even though their is cyber contract made and signed by employee)
Makes you over work and also not being able to get paid for the time
Some managers are just blatantly rude and unprofessional (curses in front of customers and at employees)

Co-workers:
Very energetic and pleasant

Hardest Part of the job:
Is saying no to persistent customers

Enjoyable part of the job:
Customer satisfaction
Pros
Their is nothing good that can come from this company long term
Cons
Management (regional and district and In store) is very and utterly poor and very DISHONEST!
Easy Going place to work
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 17, 2016
A fun and easy going place to work. Coworkers were fun. Management were great and very helpful.
I found that working to please the customers was very easy.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 9, 2016
The manager I had was very calm and great at teaching her staff, if your sales are not to the company standards you don't get hours.
Fun, productive, creative and safe work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2015
I very much enjoyed my time working at Things Remembered. On a regular day at work, I would spend my time cleaning displays, greeting customers, assisting in finding the perfect gift, engraving various items, and handeling the cash register. A lot of the time I would have shifts working alone, which made the job both difficult and even more rewarding. I learned how to manage my time wisely with customers, how to establish trust, and how to be a positive team player. I enjoyed working with my fellow team members, and will always look highly upon this company.
Poor company overall
engraver (Former Employee) –  toronto ontarioMay 28, 2015
From regional to district manager very poor and unexpectable behavior, unprofessional, threatens staff and management, not a classy place to work, head office should stop focusing on managers who make consistant stats and on the head of the company how are we suppose to be great leaders when you have a regional manager and district mangers with zero confidence in staff or managers, both on dating websites which also looks really bad on the company, district manager would rather be on tinder with staff than actually help staff doing poorly. overall would never recommened working here!
Loved learning to Engrave - Not happy about pressure selling
Assistant Manager and Engraver (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMay 10, 2015
Company expects outrageous selling results with little or no compensation. No incentives.
Highly stressful job.
Too much emphasis on recording numbers and stats instead of customer satisfaction.
Not enough time given to new associates to learn to engrave.
If upper management has issues with one store - everyone gets blamed on weekly conference calls.
If mall traffic is light and daily sales quotas are not met - associates made to feel inferior and that they are not doing their jobs.

Company cannot keep good people on board - too stressful and too much pressure.
Pros
Learned a new skill
Cons
Too much pressure on getting numbers than customer service
Amazing employees but you cant move up at all.
Temporary Managers/Ft Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2015
I loved this job. The employees were all amazing, very wild and out going crews. The merchandise was fun to engrave and experiment with and I liked all the things we sell. I went out of my way to make sure my store was perfect. I learned a lot about managing a store first hand since I was sent to a location with no management team at all temporarily. Unfortunately it was made obvious that there was no room for advancement in the company and since I was looking for something reliable for many years to come I made the decision to find something new.
Pros
excellent employees and store merchandise
Cons
no room to move up from sales associate
Great Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 8, 2014
I learned alot about how to use computers and engraving glass and metals with a needle machine. It was usually on and off with being busy, but I still enjoyed working there. My boss and I got along really well and I learned how the computer in less than two days of training. The hardest part was the pressure of engraving things for customers.
Pros
computer skills
didnt like it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 6, 2015
no stable hours, rude manager, very poor training. one or two shifts per week, sent home early most shifts, i did my job and went home,im the kind of girl who likes hands on training i only need to be shown once or twice and i have the method down packed.
Pros
paid 15 min break
Cons
poor staff, non stable hours.
My Experience at Things Remembered
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 28, 2014
At Things Remembered, I found the work culture to be very poor. The management was not professional and did not coordinate between employees properly. There was not fairness towards each employee in the workforce nor was there professionalism. When a manager would appoint an employee to be in-charge, they did not train them on how to deal with other employees. The work environment was not only unprofessional but had a very tense and non-welcoming atmosphere. The most enjoyable part of the job though, was the job itself. I enjoyed personalizing gifts for the customers and learning how to engrave.
Engraver
Engraver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONNovember 21, 2012
I would come in and make sure that all the engravings where done that need to be done.
I would then catch everyone up on orders and work the engraver all day along with organize the engravings that are done.
I would then close the store at the end of the day and go home.
a typical day at work
Salesman Things remembered/Keyman engravables (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Attended to customers, filling out work orders, checking and organizing inventory, opening and closing store and other duties as assigned
Productive Workplace
Sales (Current Employee) –  Vaughan MillsMay 13, 2014
Like this company very much, I just need more hours.
The co workers were very friendly
Management needed some work with being professional
Pros
small kioisk
Cons
few hours