Thermo Fisher Scientific Employee Reviews

Good pay and reliable hours. Worked night shifts.
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2017
The work and people at Thermo-Fisher were great. I worked night shifts. It was stressful learning the dispenser position. Was fired for no reason. Management fired the entire night crew and no one knows why. The company would not tell us why.
Pros
Excellent hours. Decent pay.
Cons
Poor management. Poor training.
Tedious work with excellent coworkers and good managment
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 March 2017
Typical day involved first attending a meeting to find out what products were already manufactured during the earlier shift while learning what was expected to be produced - this included finding out if the were any issues with the equipment or products. Management would alter production schedules around significant errors and listen to any concerns. Once at my station, I would be responsible for my paperwork and checking the production line for any errors or defects, and assisting my coworkers when required; this was the most time-consuming and monotonous aspect of the job. At the end of day, ensuring proper paperwork had been filled out and cleaning of station and equipment while readying for the next day.
Pros
Understanding management, good training, hour long lunch, occaisional free donuts
Cons
Monotonous work, conflicts between shifts
Laboratory Automation
Office Facilities Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON26 January 2017
Was responsible for the office facilities to make sure that the office was always up and running efficiently. Also supported the Lead Team with internal and external meeting with existing and potential Laboratory automation companies
Pros
Creating Laboroatory Automation
Cons
Unable to meet full expectations of the client and their automation needs
A local team work environment which took great pride in the manufacture of medical devices.
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 August 2016
Over 13 years I developed solid management skills which was very rewarding. Developing and mentoring my team members was my greatest accomplishment. I thoroughly enjoy all aspects of bench work in a lab setting.
Poor management
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Ssf22 August 2016
Poor management. The managers are not responsive to employee needs. Poor training of managers in terms of employee interaction
good
Shipping Dept (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 April 2016
A typical day at work was always fast pace, on my feet and interesting. The co-workers were always friendly and ready to help!
Fisher Scientific not the best place to work
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Ontario, Canada17 October 2015
Poor cousin of Thermo Fisher Scientific with no investments and a poor go to market strategy. Management does not understand the what the fundamental strength of this company could be. The goal is to say we add value but it is not clear what the value add is.
Worked from home
Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montreal, Qc24 August 2015
Good number of established accounts limits the ammount of solicitation needed. Spent on average a week per month away from home. Decent ammount of tracking, logging, filling in reports as you would expect in a bigger company. Most of the job consists of answering phone calls/emails and organizing in person meeting for fairly quick sales calls.
Very comfortable job once one gets a good knowledge of the product portfolio. Product portfolio fairly static which limits the occasions to present truly novel solutions or exciting new products to existing customers.
Pros
Salary, work flexibility, traveling for work
Cons
Lack of marketing support, fairly static corporate structure
Good company
Account Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2015
- large multi-national company
- owns huge market share in Canada and well-known by customers
- provides good sales training
structured work place
Field Service Eng (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2015
Great customer and great equipment
Its all about the $ and numbers and customer satisfaction
heavy on paperwork
your kept on a short leash
Big yet cheap company
Accounting Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga17 February 2015
Although it is a big big company the pay scale at this place is very low. one would think that if the company is doing so well they would treat their employees well, but it is only the upper management that gets treated like heroes while all the work done is by the lower management. Even after working so hard, you nothing in appreciation. If you get an interview, say no.. unless they say they give you a good package. Negotiate. You are worth more than what they say.
Cons
Good place to work, good team to work with
Customer Service Representative, Data (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON19 December 2014
I enjoyed working for Thermo Fisher while it lasted. I was a temp to hire, and it was a long road. The management was great, as were the health benefits and also the starting salary was fair. I learned valuable skills working with this company, and they also provided an extensive training program. My co-workers were great to work with and were a fun bunch of ladies. If it weren't for the company merging with life technologies and laying our division off, I would still have enjoyed working here.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
Company always changing
Good Job
Engineering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 November 2014
Was Engineering Technician for manufacturing facility. Designed, operated and maintained all machinery and all Machinery within building envelope.
Daily schedule is done by CUSTOMER
Technical Support.Practicum (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 September 2014
Customers are the main focus...Every day has its own schedule based on customer needs
low pay for skilled job.
sales exec (Former Employee) –  ttawa14 May 2014
They dont care about the workers. Thrre just trying to increase as much as they can not caring about employees. Chea cheap company for such a nig company.
Work/Life balance
Senior Integration Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 November 2013
Work/Life balance is poor and working ours are very long. No training is provided and it is left to the employee to do their job.
Perfect job if you have no other options....
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, On26 August 2013
Better than being unemployed, but sadly not by much. The pay is horrendous for anyone hourly. The bonuses promised are never received, and there is a great deal of stress put on your shoulders for very little incentives.

Raises were cut in half three years ago claiming it to be the poor economy but the past two years our sales have grown over 200%, the little guys like us see nothing of it. Each annual raise is less than half of what cost of living rises each year.

Promised hours have been cut back from 44 hours weekly to 40, when you get paid little that slight bit extra means the difference between going hungry and paying the electric bill.
Cons
Rewards never given out as promised, removal of most of the incentives to continue working there
Big company with amazing people
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario25 June 2013
• Work with minimal supervision to increase and maintain sales
• Meet assigned objectives while developing working business relationships with customers and vendors and attending meetings
• Managed and exceeded budget in a $1.7M territory consisting of pharmaceutical, biotech, industrial, academic and clinical accounts
• Communicate with clients via telephone, email and fax
• Organise and coordinate customer lab setup plans
• Perform sales and explain features and benefits on different instruments
• Attend multiple seminars on various lab equipments
• Apply data entry and customer information on a daily basis
• Calculate daily sales and margin on a daily basis
• Handled industrial, academic, clinical, and biotech accounts
Pros
Benefits, free lunches
Dynamic and Changing workplace
Vice President Commercial Operation Asia (Former Employee) –  Japan, China and Canada24 April 2013
Thermo Fisher Scientific (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. The company enables its customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer by providing analytical instruments, equipment, reagents and consumables, software and services
Pros
international experience
A really great company
Réception (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 November 2012
This is probably my favorite job. I came in through an employment agency and before I knew it I was asked to take the role of head receptionist (a prestigious job considering the size of this international company). Day to day was more or less the same routine but with the extra time I had I would help different departments. The staff were quite reasonable, well organized, professional, cordial and other positive descriptions. I only have positive things to say about this company.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
one specific employee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Thermo Fisher Scientific. Our community is ready to answer.

Thermo Fisher Scientific Reviews by Location