The Works

The Works Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Still being fairly new, the requirements needed for the business to function were unattainable
KITCHEN LEAD (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: 50% off meal on your shift
Cons: poor training, no free pop or coffee, only water, nowhere to sit and eat lunch
Having worked with such a wonderful product in terms of freshness, and care taken in order to make every item on the menu, I could not help to think that the management of the company was lacking in many ways.. The maturity level in the (heart of house) was very low as there were a large number of inexperienced, part-time students hired to do a job – more... that requires a solid knowledge of how a line kitchen functions.

The food is great but without capabilities and real knowledge of how to build and maintain a solid team to keep it at its highest quality, it will just end up as another unfortunate commercial building for lease. – less
The Works in the Glebe is a fun and comfortable place to work but when it's time to work, we work.
Hostess (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2013
Pros: 50% off
Cons: not a lot of hours
I mostly work at night when it is busier. I greet the customers at the door and take them to their seats where i ask if they have been to the works before and explain the specials we have on at the time. When it gets busy I have to start a wait list which i would say is the hardest part of my job. However customers are usually understanding and willing – more... to wait. I love my co-workers, everyone is friendly and good with communication. They are my favorite part of my job along with talking to the customers. – less
nice place to work on while studying full time
Facility Attendant (Current Employee), St. John's, NLMarch 22, 2013
Pros: adjustable shifts
Cons: long hours, keep walking
nice place
easy to work over their along with full time
adjustable shift
less work load
productive and enjoyable work place
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 5, 2012
Pros: free meals
Cons: having trouble getting a ride to work
lots of cleaning
learned how to work in a fast paced environment
management was excellent
co-workers enjoyable and happy to help
hardest part of the job was having to move heavy objects such as kegs
i enjoyed working with the people
Retail Drone
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), MidlandsJuly 10, 2014
Pros: a stable wage.
Cons: not room for promotion.
Management mainly stayed in the back office and wasn't helpful on shop floor. Favouritism among staff was blatant and no action was taken. Other co workers felt the same way and were always on the look out for another job.
fun workplace
Sales Assisdant (Former Employee), Gainsborough, ENGJune 29, 2014
Pros: customer service meeting other people
Cons: it was only part time.
enjoyed working at the works. Learned how to set out tables and customer service. Co-workers were really good to work for. The hardest part of the job was delivery day.
Work Experience
Team Member (Former Employee), DurhamJune 17, 2014
Pros: members would sometimes buy me a bottled drink
It was a friendly environment and easy to follow tasks.
The Tasks was easy and picked up a stock control experience
Also helped them clean up and merchandise.
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee), High Street, ENGJune 13, 2014
I really liked to work there, and in addittion it was really close to my house. I had leave that job because unfortunately they reduced my working hours.
Productive, Steady
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Wakefield, ENGApril 20, 2014
Pros: discounted shopping
Cons: not enough hours, treated unfairly
A typical day at The Works would be stood at the till waiting for customers its a small shop that is based inside a over priced garden center i did enjoy it because of one colleague that i knew through school with her son, the manager and supervisor never liked me i don't think, i wasn't treated fairly i was always picked for Christmas and weekends – more... and last odd days for holidays or late nights because nobody else wanted to do them. Don't get me wrong i really enjoyed it stacking shelves cleaning the shop floor packing and unpacking deliveries, i do enjoy work. i didn't feel like i could do anything right with the company or managers i wasn't given opportunity to better my skills or work extra hours or move up in the company. – less
Demanding work giving a lot of satisfaction
Resourcer (Current Employee), Southampton, ENGApril 8, 2014
Pros: lot to learn
Cons: long hours
Working here requires setting priorities and sticking to them despite being dragged in all directions, such is the nature of the job split between administration and contact with customers and candidates.
It is a small company which has the advantage that you can do more things and have more duties than in a bigger structure, so you can learn a lot – more... and develop quickly. At the same time it makes it a very demanding and challenging role.
The hardest part of the job is taking care of quality under pressure of time and the most enjoyable one is a succesful placement and getting praises from customers or/and candidates. – less
team makes it a happy work place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), littlehamptonMarch 17, 2014
Pros: lovely staff
Cons: not contracted for my 40 hours
its a hard company to work for.
my typical day at work would be dealing with customers and their needs. serving and putting out stock. checking off delivery and merchandising.
Enjoyable, Educational and Productive
Work Placement (Former Employee), Canterbury, ENGFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great experience
Cons: no pay
my main duties was to prepare the store ready for the days custom. throughtout the day I had ensure shelves were filled and the store was clean. I learned how to rotate stock for the best sales and how to merchandise to fit new stock within the shop floor.
productive and fun workplace
Part time Sales Assistant (Current Employee), PaisleyFebruary 17, 2014
A usual day at work is sign in in the morning, see what delivery has came and get as much as possible out onto the shop floor. Also serving customers on the till whilst offering them one of our loyalty cards.
I've learned that I am good at dealing with customers and working in a busy environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the – more... co-workers as we are a close team and work well together.
The hardest part of the job is when we have shop changes and we only have a certain amount of time to get it finished. – less
Great and fun place to work.
Temporary Sales Assistant (Christmas) (Former Employee), Milton KeynesFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: great staff to work with
Cons: not kept on after christmas
A typical day at work would be to serve the customers on the till and check and put out stock. I also had to count my float before using my till.I would tidy the shop at the end of the day and sometimes deposit takings to the bank with the manager.
I learned how to check deliveries and print of the correct label for the product.
I got on really well – more... with my co workers and we worked well together as a team when needed.
I got on really well with the manager and deputy manager and had a good work relationship with them. – less
Great first time job for me
Car washer and detailer (Former Employee), Riverdale, ILFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: good first time job and good tip money
Cons: not a career job and business ended up shutting down
The boss use to always tell me I was the best worker. I learned to supervise when the boss was away and left me in charge. I hand washed vehicles at the car wash and also drove to do mobile washes. I liked the money I earned from tips and mobile washes. I had many co-workers come and go so I was always teaching new people.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Burnley, ENGJanuary 29, 2014
The works was my first ever job. I enjoyed the role very much as i was interacting with customers which i did find very enjoyable and easy. A typical day icluded duties such as serving customers, making extra sales, keeping the shop floor clean and tidy and helping with deliveries, and of course handling cash. I learned how to deal with difficult customers – more... while remaining calm and polite. I picked up many sales and people skills. I always had a good relationship with my employer and co-workers. The most enjoyable part of this job was discovering new abilities and skills and working with amazing people. – less
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee), Manchester, ENGJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: friendly and helpful staff
Cons: stock can get too much
it's a fast paced environment with a friendly attitude with helpful staff and a lot to keep you busy.
i learned to think on my feet
the hardest part of my job was trying to get the things done when customers need serving
the most enjoyable part of my job was the discounts
Always a positive atmosphere
Painter, Taper (Current Employee), Worth, ILJanuary 20, 2014
Had a great crew that came to work. to work
Everyone was teachable
No attitudes
Fun to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Oxfordshire, BicesterJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: discount on all non confectionary items.
Cons: long hours, low pay.
Normal days at work required me to serve customers on the tills, assisting people in what products they were looking for and merchandising the store to high standards. The management team is helpful and My co-workers were brilliant to work with. The hardest part of the job was keeping the standars up to scratch with how little staff we had and the most – more... enjoyable part of the job was that I got a discount on the books and seeing what new stock was coming in and when. – less
The hardest
Sales Assistant (Former Employee), Stafford, ENGJanuary 12, 2014
The hardest and most rewarding part of this job was working with the public

1 2 3