The Works Employee Reviews

Great job, great people
Dishwasher/fry cook/janitor (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON24 April 2016
Great job, great people. I had a amazing experience with the employees and the management, it was never a dull time, but always work. In other words it was enough fun to keep thing interesting and fun, but enough work to feel like you earned your paycheck and you have a value to the company.
A productive and decently managed workspace
Kitchen Staff - Cook (Former Employee) –  8 Queen Street East, Brampton, ON18 October 2015
The food here is all gourmet at The Works Gourmet Burger Bistro. There's a lot to indulge your teeth and taste buds into but what is working here like?

I was the prep worker there. I pressed patties out of varied amounts of ingredients such as beef, turkey, elk, and even beef patties with cheese curds stuffed inside (it's tastes as good as it sounds!). Every work day I'm tasked to prep food for the guys in charge of cooking the material. I usually start off by chipping potatoes into fries (ranging from 2-5 full boxes of potatoes) in the span of over an hour. Luckily I worked opening shift so no costumers were in the way of readying up for the day. After that I get started on the patties, then when needed for resupply I marinating our chicken, and eventually create our specially made sauces. After I complete what's essential for the day and the day after, I'm free to go.

As an employee you'll meet highly trained and wonderful employees there who will do everything in their power to train you until you're as capable as they are. Thanks to their simple and well-paced instruction I was able to get the hang of my duties as a prep guy and continue to improve my skills and ethics.

There are flaws to working here though, like all businesses. One thing I must admit s that their management is poor. Day by day we, or the manager(s), would have a hard time staying on routine, or being organized, such as remembering to pull certain ingredients from the freezer and into the fridge for tomorrow, or forgetting to order supplies needed for our daily work routine. It was frustrating
  more... and at times forced me to cut corners under their instruction. Definitely one of the most frustrating times is when you're being tasked by more than one person at a time, since we may have more than one manager there handling business. You wound up juggling tasked and being blamed for not doing what one of them told you to do on time. One individual going through this even explained the issue but they were so angry at him not doing what they told him to do that they completely ignored it, and by that he quit. It needs to be regarded or it can damage the community there.

Other than that you'll find yourself enjoying what you do there. Simply do what's necessary and don't be afraid to challenge yourself and learn from mistakes, or experiences.
Pros
Meet great people, learning is fun and easy, adapt well to the environment
Cons
Poor management
Bartender/Prep Cook/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 March 2015
Working for the works was a great opppurunity I got to Learn many new skills and they gave me oppertunities to learn more when i asked. the co-workers were great. they had a great team and everything normally ran smoothly. the hardest part of the job was having to learn everything at a very fast pace. Managment was great for the most part.

i would have to say the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work with great staff and learning new strengths.
Pros
Learning new tasks
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun atmosphere, good co-workers, good learning experince
Server (Current Employee) –  Orleans20 February 2015
Overall was a fun place to work, the co-workers were always smiling and supportive. The atmosphere was very fun and laid back. It was a very unique store to work at. Hardest part of the job was learning all of the burger toppings, but it was worth it because of the clientele it brought in. Always great customers. I particularly enjoyed the music there, as it was classic rock as oppose to top 40 that plays in majority of restaurants.
Pros
50% discount on meals
Cons
Couldn't provide enough hours
Very comfortable work place.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON16 September 2014
I was accommodated extremely well. Moved out west for 3 months and was taken back the moment I returned home. Hours were very flexible and I mostly always got the shifts I asked for which is very hard to find nowadays. Management is very friendly and easy to get along with, as well as fellow co-workers. I learned hard work always goes a long way. Hardest part of the job was the fast-pace environment but fellow co-workers always made it easier (keeping each other in a good mood, always joking around with each other). Always received a free meal per shift which helped a lot with not having to bring food (plus the food there is delicious).
Pros
Free meals, excellent co-workers
Cons
Very fast pace environment on weekends.
enjoyble people to work with
Prep Chef (Current Employee) –  Toronto ON13 February 2014
I would first place all inventory in the fridge, in there rightful place and order. I would than prep for the daliy food items, such as caramelized onions, and baked bacon. I would press over 200 beef patties. I would make different sauces and prepare other such items that are on the menu. The management are young and energetic and are involved in there day to day business. The hardest part is pressing patties for sometimes 4 hours. The most enjoyable part are the friendly co -workers.
Pros
can listen to music
Cons
repetitive labour, minimum wage
Still being fairly new, the requirements needed for the business to function were unattainable
KITCHEN LEAD (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 January 2014
Having worked with such a wonderful product in terms of freshness, and care taken in order to make every item on the menu, I could not help to think that the management of the company was lacking in many ways.. The maturity level in the (heart of house) was very low as there were a large number of inexperienced, part-time students hired to do a job that requires a solid knowledge of how a line kitchen functions.

The food is great but without capabilities and real knowledge of how to build and maintain a solid team to keep it at its highest quality, it will just end up as another unfortunate commercial building for lease.
Pros
50% off meal on your shift
Cons
poor training, no free pop or coffee, only water, nowhere to sit and eat lunch
The Works in the Glebe is a fun and comfortable place to work but when it's time to work, we work.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2013
I mostly work at night when it is busier. I greet the customers at the door and take them to their seats where i ask if they have been to the works before and explain the specials we have on at the time. When it gets busy I have to start a wait list which i would say is the hardest part of my job. However customers are usually understanding and willing to wait. I love my co-workers, everyone is friendly and good with communication. They are my favorite part of my job along with talking to the customers.
Pros
50% off
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Amazing envrionment
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 November 2013
I absolutely love working here. The people are great, I get along beautifully with my coworkers. The gym regulars are always a laugh! It has helped me be even more self-motivated then I already was because I have to work by myself. Only leaving here because I am moving back to Philadelphia in April. (Dual Citizenship)
Pros
Job is on campus
fun fast paced company
Cook (Current Employee) –  Ottawa Ontario31 October 2013
dealing with a grill on your right and a fryer on your left could be little dangerous, but kind of fun especially with a young environment, managers lay back but not enough money,
nice place to work on while studying full time
Facility Attendant (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL22 March 2013
nice place
easy to work over their along with full time
adjustable shift
less work load
Pros
adjustable shifts
Cons
long hours, keep walking
productive and enjoyable work place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 July 2012
lots of cleaning
learned how to work in a fast paced environment
management was excellent
co-workers enjoyable and happy to help
hardest part of the job was having to move heavy objects such as kegs
i enjoyed working with the people
Pros
free meals
Cons
having trouble getting a ride to work