The WORKS Gourmet Burger Bistro Employee Reviews

Fun job
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 May 2017
The Works Bistro was a fun place to work. For a first job, the atmosphere and staff made the shifts go by very quickly. Learning about food safety and food preparation and cleaning are valuable experiences for the future.
Pros
Discount on meals
Cons
Cleaning
Aweful
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON2 May 2017
Boss is a sociopath franchises is aweful.
No separation of home and work life and employment is a revolving door.

Good thing about it is that promotions aren't a problem cause after about 6 months you will have seniority
Cool place, poor management
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 April 2017
It started off great, however they do not take your suggestions into account and do not move you from one aspect from the job if you are not comfortable doing it. They do not take into account the employees wants and needs very well.
A normal restaurant with an acceptable team
Server and Host (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 March 2017
Not every restaurant job can be as accommodating as The Works. I worked for a highly respectable and hard working employer, and I worked as part of a very dedicated team, which was equal parts fun and professional. However, there were times, especially in my last year of employment, that I felt myself bored of the repetition, and in need of something a little more self driven. The hours were minuscule, particularly during the summer, but the pay was reasonable and the restaurant closed early enough for employees to maintain healthy sleeping habits.
Pros
Decent Tips, despite the small location
Cons
Repetitious and Fast Paced
Fun, Teamwork related environment, amazing coworkers
hostess (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON4 March 2017
It is an amazing place to work honestly. I enjoy working with everybody because they are so kind and I just love everybody there. I have learned everything I know about hosting, the servers are very helpful with teaching me new things everyday. All of the managers are amazing at their job, they are kind and make sure everybody is on task but in a nice way. The hardest part of the job is not getting enough hours, if I were to have hours through the week instead of just on the weekend it would be a perfect job. The most enjoyable part is seating guests and just chatting with them about anything, I truly love meeting new people and seeing familiar faces. I love what I do.
Pros
50% off, great people
Cons
Not enough hours
Great hours, not so much with your pay.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 January 2017
Nice place to work, people are nice enough and friendly but there is a lot of politics. The money is minimum wage and getting a little takes a lot of work. Definitely can't support a household or even an apartment.
Pros
Tip Out
Cons
In House Poltics
No management
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 January 2017
A great team of cooks, ready and willing to work hard and accurately. The lack of management made the working environment hard to cope with at times.
they are good!
Front of House Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2016
A great place to work to get into management! They offer guidance and support, while allowing you to find your feet. A great vibe and work culture.
The Works - A fun work environment for a restaurant
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 September 2016
- kitchen and floor duties
- maintenance work
- management was great
- co-workers were great
- fast pace in the kitchen on busy days
- employees made it enjoyable
Pros
Free meal every shift
Cons
Late nights
productive workplace
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 May 2016
Individualized one-on-one employment consultation to guide you through your job search
Support with all aspects of employment preparation
Referral and access to funded programs such as Second Career, Self-Employment Benefit program and Job Creation Partnership
Access to the Ottawa Job Match Network for Internationally Educated Professionals
Pros
free lunches
excellent staff
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 April 2016
I was only an Intern at the Head office, however It was one of the best experiences of my life. Everyone is so welcoming and friendly and I learned so much in my time there.
Pros
Free lunch!
Great place to work if you put your head to it and work hard.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON1 February 2016
It was my first kitchen job ever and I was hired on a whim almost at the last minute before the store opened. We did two weeks training witch didn't feel like much and we all struggled when the restaurant opened Canada day 2015. The management was very helpful and made sure everyone got the help they needed and with in 3 weeks after opening we all had everything down to the teeth and we begin working without managers and trainers in the kitchen just the kitchen supervisor. Don't be fooled by the family atmosphere, if you don't work hard then you will be fired on the spot. Its a kitchen and it will get extremely busy and will be extremely stressful. If you put your mind to it and always make sure you are helping out where you can then you will make it at The WORKS. I loved working there and miss it everyday since I had to move out of Niagara Falls. I became part of a family their, and everyone their became my family. Just make sure you always ask for help and never stand there playing with your thumbs. always ask if there is something you can be doing to help. even if its not what you were assigned to be doing.
Awesome place to work
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 November 2015
It is an amazing establishment with delicious food and tons of options especially for people with gluten allergies and vegans! The management is top notch and very helpful and considerate!
Pros
Half price off your meals!!!
Cons
Not enough hours for me as I am at the bottom of the totem poll.
Never a dull moment
GM/Corporate Manager Trainer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, On30 August 2015
It's a fun and exciting environment. Never a dull moment from dealing with the staff to our guest there is always something to do and keep you on your toes.

The WORKS is all about the guest. We are there to make there experience the most enjoyable! There is a lot of paper work more then the average restaurant. The staff is why people come back again and again.
Pros
bonus is achievable
The Works -Hamilton
Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 August 2014
The works was one of the funnest and most organized workplace I have ever had a chance to work in. I had some of the greatest co-workers and got to me some of the most interesting customers. The Management team, which though it was quite small, was extremely organized and flexible. The managers always made sure to explain task thoroughly and ensure that everyone was on the same page to ensure our performance with the guest was on point. The most enjoy part of this job included pleasing the guest and knowing that you provided them with service that will keep them coming back and also having coworkers that work so close as a team that it almost felt like one big family.
very productive always moving always something to do enviorment
Line Cook & assisted the kitchen manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, On28 July 2014
amazing crew amazing boss's one of the best places an restaurants ive ever worked i dont ant to leave them if there was one in victoria bc i would apply without a doubt. i would recommend applying there for anyone with 2-3 years of kitchen experience an more or to get more
Pros
free meal every shift you work