The Wendy's Company

7.9K reviews

The Wendy's Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very hard at the beginning. But as you do the job more, it becomes a routine and not that much overwhelming. Managers can be tough sometimes.
Crew Member (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONDecember 24, 2013
Pros: meeting customers, nice co-workers, some supervisors and managers are nice.
Cons: not much hours during dead periods, very hard at the beginning, constant moving, always have to do something to keep busy.
When I first started working there, it was very overwhelming. I was trained on the fries first. Thank god I had experience doing the same thing at Pizza Pizza. But it was very overwhelming because I started work aroung Halloween time and that specific restaurant gets FREAKING busy during halloween due to a theme park RIGHT BESIDE! Also, one supervisor was criticizing my work and it was a disaster for the first two months. But as the store got less busy, I had the opportunity to try different positions (fries, grill, dishwashing, drive thru cash collecting, and garbages). It became less annoying and it got easier to bear. The store manager is VERY nice, but watch out for the supervisors. They can be a pain in the rear end, especially is you mess up and you don't realize it.

Co-workers are amazing. You get along with almost everyone. Some of the folks I didn't get along with well was one was a complete jerk and another one was a 50 year old lady who can't even do her own job properly and constantly teaching me how to do things. Customers can be very nice sometimes. It's not like Mcdonalds where you see rude customers.

The hardest part of any position is when it gets busy. The manager is on your back constantly telling you to work fast, pointing out mistakes. Also, I feel sorry for the sandwhich makers. They have to memorize the menu and the order of the sandwhiches and salads (mental stress). Thank god I didn't have to do that. Apart from the sandwhich maker, the grill man faces a lot of stress. You are basically the operating system of the restaurant. You are in charge of cooking – more... the patties, chicken, potatoes and a lot of other things. If you're late for your shift, or you call in sick at the last minute. The supervisors are going to have a hard time finding a replacement for you, because not a lot of people are trained on the grill. So if you are on the grill for the lunch shift and the grill man for the dinner shift is late, be prepared to stay there until they show up. That can be a pain in the rear end. The most enjoyable part of the job is collecting cash at the drive thru, because ou are just getting the money, debit or credit card and making the transaction. There is not much to learn in the position. But you do have to do other things if there are no cars in the drive thru. Another easy job is the dishwashing. You are not under stress, you can work at your own pace (but fast movement though)... but your shirt does get dirty and wet due to the splashing of the water. Also, some of the water get on your face too, which can be annoying. After a shift of washing a tub of dishes, you want to go home and take a hot shower!

As for the discount, it is above average but according to me, is not proper, looking at the kind of work you do and the abundance of food they have. If you are a crew member and you are working on the shift, you can get 50% off. If you are a crew member but you are not in uniform and you are not on your shift, you get 10% off and if you are a manager, you either get the food for free or 75% off I assume.

My advice would be to once you get a job in a fast food restaurant, work there for a month or two and start looking for a retail sales job in a mall as soon as possible. Or if you can't find one, stay there for 1 year and quit, but make sure you have a backup job ready. If your manager is kind and nice, don't leave them midway in a busy season (summer and fall). Work through the busy period and when its not a busy month, tell your manager you are relocating or going off to study somewhere and thank them for the opportunity and how you learned a lot of things and met some really wonderlful people and leave. Make sure to give a two-week notice though. – less
Great crew, horrible leadership.
Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Place D'Orleans, Ottawa, ONNovember 20, 2013
Pros: great crew, management works hard (too hard), great environment.
Cons: ownership, poor training, no acceptance of responsibility.
I'm not the type to leave a bad review of anything, as with the old adage of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything". But during my employment with Wendy's, I have always been driven to do my best. I hit the ground running my first day there, as I wanted to prove myself, and prove that there was no mistake made in hiring me in directly as an Assistant Manager.

After a few months, the cracks in the facade started to show. The lack of care for the crew on the floor, the expedience to blame everything and everyone who wasn't wearing a tie. An owner who skimped on Health and Safety requirements, shorted product to save money, and flat out broke some Labour and Safety regulations to avoid losing so much as a dollar.

After 6 months I had to go through three separate channels to receive the pay I was told I would get after three, it took almost 7 months to get my benefits, and had to fight my way through every person possible to get it. There are crew in the store who have been working there for over 3 years, and still making minimum wage. I stuck up for the crew, for standards, and for myself.

Three weeks ago, the owner was still singing my praises, promising new training, and new skills to add to my Wendy's portfolio, and even making comments towards me running my own store, and that we'd talk about it further in February. Since then, I had heard nothing negative, never been written up, or on the receiving end of a "talking to", yet, after a morning shift, the DM and the Owner requested a "sit down" which I expected to be the usual "How are things? Here's – more... some things we'd like to drive towards. etc" that I had gone through with them a few times before. Instead, I was handed a letter informing me that I was terminated and my last day was in a week.

To say I was stunned would be an understatement. I asked why, and the question was shrugged off. I asked again and was told "We just don't need you anymore"...that was it. 7 months of work, over 70 hours volunteered in my own time, plans I put into motion, advancements I made to the entire store, and it was just over with a nonchalant lack of respect.

Since that happened, my inbox and phone have been flooded with messages from the crew in the store displaying their shock and condolences (like in the title, great crew), and I am back on the job hunt. But I leave this as a warning, not to avoid the place, but to go into it with an informed mind, a wary eye, and a fall back plan. There is so much more I could say, could get into, but there just isn't the space to do so. I will miss my crew, though I walk away with their friendship, and their respect is worth so much more. – less
Awesome place to work!
Crew member (Former Employee), Langley, British ColumbiaMay 15, 2014
Pros: great people and great food!
A typical day at work would be separated into two alternating segments. One of them was the hard-working interval, where the restaurant had to keep up with the demands and everyone on the crew worked together to meet these demands as quickly and efficiently as possible; we were such a good team. The other segment would be the more relaxed stage, where although we still had duties, we could carry them out while laughing and talking with each other. The typical day at work was fantastic.

I learned so many things! This being one of my first "real" job, I learned what it was like to work in a restaurant and what it was like to work with others cooperatively. I learned how to manage my time, and multi-task as well as how to problem-solve. This experience has given me various assets that would prove very beneficial in other jobs.

The management and my co-workers were great! Of course, the managers had to do their job to keep the restaurant at top notch and so they could be strict at times, but I understood that this was their business and that I must do my job as an employee to meet their expectations. I'm glad that my managers pushed me because it taught me many lessons. My co-workers are also great; none were mean or pessimistic, but all of them were joyful and I loved being able to work with them.

The hardest part of the job would be waking up for it. My shifts usually began at 7am and I had to bike there so I had to wake up around 5:45am. Although, I've never missed a shift, I remember it being extremely difficult to wake up sometimes, but once I got there everything was fine. – more...

The most enjoyable part of the job would be the interactions I had with people. Whether taking orders from the front, or the drive-through, I loved talking to people and seeing all the kinds of people out there, and for a weird reason, this really intrigued me. I polished my socializing skills as well as staying in a positive mood and I think that was the best part about my job. – less
Can be a god place sometimes...
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONMay 8, 2014
Pros: great people inside and out.
Cons: not enough hours and having to fight for them...
typical day at wendys, you walk in and you find out where your position is. you count your till make sure its balnces at start of day of 200.00. and you do what you position requires, normally i am on drive through, so i take orders, collect money, seek for customer satisfaction. as well i would be washing all the dishes that get dirty through my shift. i prepare bacon pans as well as assist the front counter cashier with there orders if they are busy and have a line up more than 3 customers so they do not have to waitas long.
i have learned a lot at wendys, i have learned more about teamwork, how to prepare the sandwiches and salads, i have learnt the till to a tee where i know everythin on it, prices by mind.
my coworkers are great i have met a lot of great people there. some are even my friends out side of work which is nice.
management in my view is good at times and horrible at times. i guess it just depends on what manager is working on what days. but for the most part i really dont mind it.
the hardest part about my job would be trying to get full time. and having them understand that i cannot live off of 20 hours aweek as i do have a just over a year old son..
the most enjoyable part of my job is just being about to see smiles on everyones faces, emplyees and customers.
i try and make everyone happy, that has and always will be a goal in life is just to make atleast one person smile because i have done something right and just knowing i could have made a difference in that persons day.
Productive,fun and fast paced
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCFebruary 11, 2013
Pros: great teamwork and free meals, lots of fun and great learning environment
Cons: short staffed sometimes and hours varied
A great place to learn many skills, from costumer service to food safety and what it means to be part of a team. Friendly management and thorough customer care made it easy and fun to work there.
A typical day would begin with setting up positional charts, giving each staff member there goals and duties for the day. Then,I would TTM, which is Talk To Me, go through with each staff member into their position.After the crew was in position I would moniter the sales and tills and do a regular walk through of the store and grounds to ensure customer satisfaction with meals and service and general store cleanliness. before my shift was complete I would change and balance out tills, complete an audit, fill and drop off deposits.
I learned how to handle the money, doing audits and balancing safe and tills, how to treat customers and staff alike. I learned the importance of teamwork and good communication.

The management at Wendys is phenomenal! No matter how tough things got there was good communication lots of help and they really do their best to ensure satisfaction to all guests.

The co workers were fun yet informative, the closeness of working together gave me a lot of friends and help through out the years. My old co workers were a great team to work with and learn from.
The hardest part of working there was it was a fast paced environment and so if we were short staffed it made it hard to be as efficient as we would have been with the missing staff members.
The most enjoyable would be the friendly competition to achieve store goals, the co workers and I really got to get to – more... know each other while working side by side, which made the shifts fun and memorable. – less
Productive workplace
Crew Member (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJuly 3, 2013
Pros: discounted good food, nice boss
Cons: short hours, overwork
A typical day at work starts at 8AM with the maintenance of equipment for store opening at 10:30AM. After which, I work as at the grill or at the fries (sometimes both), and at the end of my shift, I do a one-hour cleanup, which they call the post-rush. I also used to make the chili for the day and for the next day.

I learned that Wendy's is more on order accuracy and food quality. If a product is already old, an employee is expected to throw it out and make a new one. Management and co-workers are generally professional and work-oriented, with the customer, and general cleanliness of the inside and outside of the store.

The hardest part of the job for me is still the maintenance process. While most of the work is easy to do, and will become more manageable as you get better at it, the hard part is still throwing the burger grease out, which smells horribly disgusting, is very heavy and has a chance of spilling back at you. And there's not much people around to help you during then, so you have to devise your own way if you can't handle it. There's also the time-management part, wherein you have to properly manage your time in order to finish all the tasks you have.

I enjoyed working there, but the sad thing is that there isn't much growth in the job for me. Most of the food is not free, but is discounted. It's a good job to make money, but it wasn't as full-time as expected. I only worked at around 30 hours per week, which is not much.
Confusing and Jumpy
Front Cash (Current Employee), Milton, ONApril 25, 2013
Pros: trying hard to make things better
Cons: unbalanced hours
I've almost been at Wendy's for a year now and I have learned quite a lot. I am able to do all the tasks I am asked to do bu that isn't because I was trained. They train you through an online course give you a quick go through and expect you to be able to do the job.

A typical day would be showing up early and reading what position you will be on that day. But you can never count on it, you always end up being moved around. You could be working drive thru taking orders but taking orders in the front as well. It is VERY confusing. The management is super nice and understanding, and do try to resolve any issues you bring up, the only issue with them is the lack of communication. I could speak to one manager and tell them something important but the other 4 have no idea.

Co-workers are a different story. Because it is such a diverse culture there are multiple languages being thrown around. There is alot of gossip thrown around and it creates a tense environment. Now the hardest part of the job is what I stated before, when you're working you are all over the place and you always have those people who stand around and do nothing. The thing I enjoy most about my job is interacting with customers, it is always nice to see the regulars.
Favorite Part of my Job: Watching people develop and grow. It happens at all levels around me."
Food Counter Attendant (Current Employee), CalgaryJuly 21, 2014
Everyday I'm surprised at how my people surpass my expectations. We have great camaraderie and know that we are all better together.
I have learned how to be more patient, the importance of being patient, and the results you will achieve because you are patient.
Hard work means not just going that extra mile, but sometimes staying that extra few minutes after you have worked all day to help a teammate.
I take it as a challenge and try my best to adapt myself to the change for my betterment.
I have been working for Wendy’s for over 5 years and there isn’t anything I dislike about my job. I really like interacting with my guests and my team. Every day I hear or see something that I think about as I am driving back home...It just puts a smile on my face.
I challenge myself to do the right thing and achieve goals. I also work with mentors to gain more knowledge and skills. It never feels like a job, it’s a career with the opportunity to grow!
The hardest part of my job is when there are conflicting ideas. Unless these ideas are discussed and everyone is able to express his or her own opinion. That is what helps everyone stay engaged in the team and feel part of something important.
Fast paced and Fun
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee), Saint John, NBJune 6, 2013
Pros: getting along so well with my co-workers
Cons: unorganized hours
I started working at Wendy's with three of my good friends. There were many nice good working people there for the two and a half years I worked there. The managers are super nice and for the most part were always fair. I learned how to work in a very fast paced environment working in the kitchen preparing food for customers. I worked on the sandwich station most of the time. I learned every position in the store. When I was working I was the person who would cover everyone on their breaks, then do other work that was needed to be done if it wasn't busy. At times there was drama with a few managers talking bad about the employees and the same for my co-workers talking bad about the managers. I don't think I was very fair that when I worked there for the time that I did I did not receive one raise in my wage. I asked and was turned down by the owner. I always had a feeling he did not like me much, there was a lot of favoring with him and some of my other co-workers. I was always doing extra work to make sure that the store looked clean. For example I spent hours scrubbing and digging the grease and dirt out of the tiles in the floor so they looked good as new and I didn't get any recognition for that. The thing I liked most about working at Wendy's was the people I got to work with. We all got along super well when I was there. We were like a big family.
Good positive work environment, with great team work.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 22, 2015
Pros: Free meals and lots of training
Cons: Lots of overtime hours while on salary
Working as an assistant manager at wendys has been very beneficial. I've learned a lot of great and valuable skills and lots of experience in customer service and management. Each shift i work i successfully run the shift, meaning i manage the product levels, waste control, managing the productivity of the staff while meeting sales and service times. My shifts are run at a 90% or higher level of success. The management is very helpful with training and making sure the staff and other managers have the tools and skills they need to succeed. The crew and my co-workers are always friends and easy to get along with. I am a people person which helps create good bonds with my other co-workers.
The hardest part of the job id have to say would be being able to cope with the stress that comes with such a fast paced job. Hitting service time goals as well as delivering fast and friendly service can be quite the challenge but i feel i have succeeded in being able to maintain a good balance between the two during each shift i work.
The most enjoyable part of the job has to be the people i work with, and being able to make the customers day better by giving them the high quality service that they expect from our restaurant.
A very full, rich, learning experience
Cashier and opening preparation duties (Current Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaDecember 28, 2012
Pros: uniforms, good relationships, learning experiences
Cons: difficulty communicating, being over-criticized
A typical day at work has most often included doing lettuce preparation for the first few hours. When we have opened, my job has been to take orders for inside the restaurant, and I stock and clean when there are no customers.
I have learned many things. I have learned better ways to clean certain areas, how to deal with different kinds of customers, co-workers, how to use a toilet plunger, and more about communication in many ways.
Management has been trial, error, and enjoyment. The managers I started with, I enjoyed all of them, though one brought about some difficult learning experiences. There have been some I have walked on eggshells around, and others who I have bonded with. My co-workers, many have come and gone, some I have kept in touch with and some I have not.
The hardest part of the job is getting everything done in time and properly. Inspections happened every few months and that was difficult. I am still learning the best ways to take criticism, and it can still be painful. I am also still learning how to hide the hurt from criticism from the customers.
The most enjoyable part has been getting to know customers who are regulars. Those who have a regular order, I call them "favorite customers" and it keeps them coming back. I will miss them.
productive and fun work place
Shift Supervisor (Manager) (Former Employee), Kingston, ONSeptember 13, 2014
go into work, check daily sales from the day so far or the sales for that particular day, check the schedule to see how many people were working on my shift, and which positions I wanted them in, responsible for balancing the safe and all tils, jump into positions that need the most help at one given time, while making sure that front line and drivethru were moving smoothly and in the right amount of time, giving my staff jobs to do like stocking and prep, dishes during slow periods to get ready for the next meal time rush, during a closing shift, there was cleaning of the store, cash reports, waste reports for the day and locking the store and setting alarm before leaving. I think the most enjoyable part were the incentives for doing a good job like t-shirts and cupons to movies and things like that, the hardest part is when I had customer complaints, or my bosses yelling at me for slow times, I think 3 or 4 minutes in drivethru is still fast. but overall it was a good experience, my boss did teach me one thing I will never forget, he always used to say, " never assume".
Wendy's was a great learning experience
Line cook, cashier, food prep, and sandwich maker (Current Employee), Tecumseh, ONOctober 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours for schooling. Fast paced environment teaches a lot.
A typical day at Wendy's involved food prep and construction. I would deal with typically the smooth running of the kitchen area. With my knowledge and six years of experience, I would be making sure everyone was doing their job, and offer help if need be.

I've learned much there including how to multitask and work in a stressful environment. I've also learned how to be part of a team in both the leading and following roles.

My co-workers would range from great to not so great. It was really a mixed bag of whether or not you would have a decent crew to work with. Some had bad attitudes or were just lazy. For the most part though, I've really enjoyed working with the people I have and would not have changed a thing.

The hardest part of the job truthfully is dealing with people. The customers can be unruly and co-workers may not be doing their jobs. This leaves the slack to be pulled up by other employees. This makes my life and others shifts more difficult.

The most enjoyable part of the job was also the people. Some days you would have a great crew and great customers. The people would really make a difference on whether or not a day would be great, good, or bad.
stay away from wendys on walker road in windsor ont
Crew Member (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMay 8, 2013
This is the worst place I have ever worked! The managers are lazy and inapporpriate with their staff. They never ordered enough stock and honestly I don't think they even cared when we ran out of stock. They were terrible at dealing with customer complaints and especially worse at dealing with concerns from staff members. There was a lot of fooling around going on constantly and long waiting times for customers to receive their food. The staff doesn't work well together and are very disorganized. As for rewards for being a good worker, it doesn't exist. They randomly choose their employee of the month. The supervisors are the WORSE. Too many personal relationships between staff members, especially the supervisors with crew members. A lot of bullying (name calling, teasing, swearing, sexual comments and unwanted advances) in which none of the supervisors or managers did anything about. Staff members rarely follow proper proceedures unless head office is there. Very unsafe and unclean! I wouldn't eat the food served at this restaurant.

They need to fire everyone who works here and start fresh!
A Stepping Stone.
Customer service (Current Employee), Barrie OntarioJuly 4, 2014
Wendys was my first job and throughout my many years working there I performed many tasks and learned many valuable lessons.

For the most part of my career at Wendys I have been on "Drive Thru". This caused me to have copious amount of customer interaction. If I wasn't dealing with costumers one on one, I was taking their order thru a headset. With these constant interactions I learned many a valuable lesson. Some of these lessons include: how to triage, how to handle situations when customers were unhappy, professionalism, and pride in my job.

My mangers and co-workers were wonderful. I was lucky enough to become part of a work family. I enjoy working alone as much as I enjoy working in a team and being a part of this Wendys team was exceptional.

Aside from dealing with costumers, who are different people I get to meet and make smile everyday, I enjoyed being a veteran. As I stand right now, I have worked at Wendys for 6 years and with that comes great knowledge of the store. I am at a point now where there is little that I don't know how to do and this fills me with great accomplishment. If new co-workers have questions they come to me for help and I enjoy that very much.

I have gained very much from Wendys and it has been my stepping stone for my future.
Horrible and Demeaning
Drive Thru Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaOctober 15, 2014
Pros: see smiling customer faces every day.
Cons: hours are not flexible, and bosses do not understand why i don't come in when sick.
My co workers are always making me feel like I am below them, always ignoring me, and treating me rudely even though I try to be nice to them! On October 12, 2014, the shift manager on duty at 7 pm started calling me a liar just because we miscounted my till. When I attempted to give the explanation as to why it might be less, she would not allow me to explain and kept interrupting me and calling me a liar for an additional ten minutes. Then, when I attempted to leave the restaurant to go home, she followed me, screamed at me- in front of every guest in the dining room!- and humiliated me so much that I was so angry, I got physically ill that night.

I would like to have a new job- which is why I am looking- and have it on record that I quit working there, and not that I was fired because they can't keep their tempers in line.
it is a fun work place, although there is a lot of drama and a lot of competition of hours as there is too many people working at the store.
Crew Trainer/ Worker (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: I get most of the hours i would like, friendly environment.
Cons: It is a dirty job, i wash a lot of dirty things, you get on your hands and knees which i do not mind but its not worth the pay.
A typical day at work would be to come at 4pm and take orders at the drive thru window, make the drinks, collect money at the cash register, and hand out the order. On top of that i have a responsibility to make prep for the next days shift such as catsup bottles etc, as well i wash all the dishes and clean up the sink area at the end of the night. I leave around 1am. I learned a lot from people working there. I learned to how to help the company make more profit by up-selling, as well to handle customers who are unsatisfied. I have a huge personality and that is why over a few months i have my regular customers who i have learned their orders off my memory, they come in every few days.
Wendy's provided a good work environment, Chance for advancement and educated their employees
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Lower mainlandJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: good benefit plans, free food for managers, room for advancement, good training program.
Cons: long night hrs.
Opening of the facility, Planing and preparation of entire days menu items.Managing and balancing cash for the day, also doing banking.
Each day you meet different kind of customers that you serve,
Have to manage 8-12 crew members on shift. Open and close facility, do shift change,plan for day, organise and dirrect team members in right dirrection to achieve goal of the day. Take care of customer complaints and try to satisfy customers best I can within the guidelines. Prepare schedules, do reviews ,place order.
Get all different kinds of co-workers, some easy to manage, some have to work with within the guidline to manage them and train them to standards of operation. Over all pleasent environment to work in.
Hardest part is to satisfy everyone i.e.allteam members and customers.
The most enjoyable part is that you get to meet people of different culture and nature, you have to deal with each one in different way to satisfy them within the guidelines of company.
fun working environment, friendly people, best work experience I ever had
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 17, 2014
Pros: employee discount on foods, flexible schedule and vacation pay
Cons: night shift, but reasonable and acceptable for me
I usually star my day at 5:00p.m. I am in night shift. just prepare everything for morning shift to open up. I learned how mange my time line, and how to coordinate my coworkers to finish each other's job, in time. I always thinking them as my real family, so all their needs if they are not violate the standard of work, I will jus tallow them to do it. the hardest part of the job is you have to finish in time because you are not only have to deal with the customers , but also the team by yourself. Luckily, I handle all the issues fine, that is the most enjoyable moment of this job, the past two years are fulfilled with laugh, jokes and all the memory me and my team had were big time, they are the most unforgettable memory I ever had.
Productive and working well as a team.
Cook/Cashier/Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee), Granville,Summerside, PEIMay 6, 2015
Pros: They give out points when you complete a difficult task, or pick up an extra shift. Also free lunch when you pick up a shift.
Cons: The drama among the workplace.
A lot of kneeling and cleaning is required for this job. This job also requires handling cash and loyalty as most jobs do. The stress level is very high working at a fast food restaurant. I'm very friendly and have good relationships with all my co-workers/managers. So i would say you would definitely need to leave your emotions at the door and work as a team; which most employees do not follow. The hardest part of the job is the competitions among the other stores in PEI because the managers want their store to be the best. Therefore they push you to work hard, fast, and accurate all at the same time. The most enjoyable part of my job is to connect with my costumers and always seeing them come back.
Headquarters