The Wendy's Company

The Wendy's Company Employee Reviews in Canada

On the New Liskeard "Wendy's" brand.
Cashier, Drive (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Average day to day work varied greatly, due to the general lack of social skills of a couple of a couple of the managers, since fixed, and the nearly venomous attitude between the morning and evening shifts.

The assistant manager, and the new manager have a wonderful chemistry, and are liked by nearly all of the staff and teamwork is a high point here compared to other locations I have seen. This location is one of the better locations I have been to, be it working for or purchasing from, even if the regional manager seems hellbent on having it get closed down.

The general attitude of staff ranged from complacent, to hostile at the location. The general politics however do not go above general staff to the management, baring one exception.

The most difficult part of working at this location is during a software breakdown during a rush, guaranteed to happen once a week, barring working a dead shift where no customers enter the store for 4-5hrs. Other than these difficulties the location, and the small town staff, made this location a treat to work for.
Pros
50% off lunch, admirable week staff
Cons
routine dead periods, abysmal weekend evening staff.
pays bills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
Job is repetitive and the hours are long. Boss don't replace broken equipment, and we often run out of food because they are trying to cut down on food costs.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
no raises, long hours
excellent for part time or students
Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara RegionDecember 6, 2015
Over the 14+ years I had worked for the company, I saw it switch hands from corporate to franchise. At the beginning it was wonderful. The company does have high expectations which I thoroughly enjoyed. They are not friendly to employees that have a family or children. Best bet or hire for them is for a single person with no outside lifestyle. The co-workers are all very likeable. It is a very stressful job since most people don't understand how hard you actually have to work in fast food and customers treat you badly. Depending on the store you work in the management are nice to work with. They do pay well and they do offer benefits. They do give you hours based on your availability. The more available you are, the more hours you receive.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 22, 2016
Lots of room for advancement. You learn a variety of different skills. You get a lot of support from higher management.
Team work is always emphasized. There were Christmas parties, and summer fun days.
It gave me a great education and opportunities to see how much I can achieve.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Low pay
Work Environment
Wendy's Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 23, 2016
The typical day at work is that you come in and set up your station depending on what you're working. I learned how to listen to each customers order over the headset and enter it correctly without messing up the order. Management was great, they were all nice and very friendly people. Co-workers were just a bonus of going to work, as long as you have good co-workers you'll have a good time at work. The hardest part of the job is to make sure you get your service times, sometimes it gets really busy and you just have to work at a faster pace which I like better. The mot enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers, getting to know the regulars and making sure the regulars come back happy.
Pros
Good work enviroment, friendly staff/management, good with schedule, 50% off lunch
Cons
Long shifts
Great place to build experience and knowlegde
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 17, 2016
At Wendys I was a shift coordinator who supervised and ran variety of shifts from opens to close. My day at work would be the usually organizing of the shift from placement of the team members to preparing products to serve. As well as running the floor during the shift helping in areas needed like drive thru, front counter, food preparation and prep. I learned a lot each and every day due to things always changing. My management staff for the most part were on the same page as others and sometimes bumped head. The team members were good, we had many different types such as students to full time regular staff and they all had different personalities. The hardest part of the job was that the shifts were all over the place. I truely enjoyed the customers and servicing them.
Great place as a first job, but not willing getting treated poorly over.
Crew Member / Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ONOctober 21, 2015
Overall working at Wendy's was not a bad experience, it helped me gain great skills while working with people and to be more outgoing. The working environment was not the greatest, but I did enjoy the people I worked with. Management was not the greatest either, they did not take anyone serious. If an employee was hurt, they were told to "suck it up and continue their shift." Unless, they were able to find someone to cover for them. I was always treated very unfair and poorly, especially since I was promoted to manager which does seem odd because I was always a fast and hard-worker, which usually that would be something you get rewarded for, but not at Wendy's.
Pros
Fellow crew members, and the customers
Cons
Management, salary, the lack of concern for the health and safety of other employee's.
productive but bad management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 30, 2016
Management here sucked. I never wanted to go to work due to the ignorance there! I put up with it long enough. They had me working 6 days out of 7, without having me at at least 40 hours. On civic holidays they would have me come in for 3 hour shifts. One time they threw my work shoes out that I left in the crew room, where everyone else's shoes were stored.
Pros
half off food
Cons
they would give me 6 shifts a week and i would only get 37 hours.
Great work environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QCMarch 15, 2016
A great quality fast food restaurant with good management with hard working employees who aim at providing fresh quality food
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
Long Hours
Friendly and Fun Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day of work is extremely busy. During our lunch and dinner hours we handled high volumes of customers. I experienced a very busy environment and learned not only to be a cashier, but I also ensured a clean restaurant. I cleaned the dining room and bathrooms, also in the kitchen. I was a drive-thru cashier as well and that was quite the experience, also very busy area. Management was quite excellent. I became friends with my supervisors and manager. Although there was a bit of favoritism when giving out hours. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the dining room clean at our rush hour times. Sometimes no one could make it out to clean. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely talking to the customers. We had a lot of regulars and they were all very friendly. Since I am also a very friendly and sociable person, I got along extremely well with not only my co-workers but the customers as well.
Pros
50% off of food.
Cons
Not enough hours at times.
It's a whole bunch of fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Although everyone gets paid the same wage and there is not a lot of room to advance forward in Wendy's you can have a great time. The management is really good, the people are very nice and the hours are very flexible. It's a good job to have throughout high school, you are able to learn about things you wouldn't be able to know on your own and you get to work with people. Shifts are a decent length and cleaning is not that much of a hassle, I loved working at my Wendy's.
fun and competitive environment
Cashier, Sandwich Maker, Grill (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
very busy and enjoyable. time management skills are key. Hardest part of jobs is closing but I got used to it. Co workers are great and friendly. Awesome environment to work in.
Boring as heck
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 12, 2016
All I do is stand in front of the grill, I only learned how to use the grill and clean things, since I haven't done any other position. I think management is fair, but they can really be nepotistic. I have some good co-workers, but most of them are not very bright, and they are too lazy to do certain tasks at Wendy's. I can't think of any enjoyable part of the job, since most of the time I'm just standing around flipping burgers. The hardest part of the job is keeping up through rush hour.
Pros
Breaks with lunch
Cons
Not enough hours
Great people to work with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 19, 2016
I would open the restaurant by counting the tills for that day and setting them up in the tills. I would do a cleanliness checklist from the closing shift the night before just to make sure everything is clean before we open. I would turn on all the equipment to prepare for the cooking. I would set up the break plan and the floor plan so that the employees knew which position they were working in that day. I would check to make sure that outside was clean of garbage and debris. I would also assign cleaning tasks to the crew. If it was a certain day of the week then I would place the food order or have a health and safety meeting or being doing the crew schedules. The hardest part of the job is making sure that the customers get their food in an accurate and timely manner. My manager was great when I worked there.
Pros
The people that I worked with
Cons
The late nights on the weekends
Not very professional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONJuly 12, 2016
It would have been a great experience but the timing wasn't right. Unfortunately, shortly after I got the job, we found out my dad was dying of cancer and he was only going to live for 3 more weeks. When my dad passed away, I couldn't function at all as it was also the first death I ever had to deal with and watching my father wither away to nothing really got to me.

When I told my manager, she told me I can take time off. However, other managers and co-workers were gossiping regarding the time I took off due to my dads death.

Other than that, it was a great experience. I was a very independent worker and extremely friendly to the customers and my co-workers.

I learnt even if people are going to be bitter and negative, just kill them with kindness.
Pros
friendly customers
Cons
gossiping
Do not work at wendys in ck, on!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJune 17, 2016
The job it's self was typical of fast food work.. really fast paced, easy work, VERY LOW HOURS (managers have favourites) no breaks etc. However the management and employees are worse than any high school clique I've ever heard of! Crew members making others lives miserable, bullying to the point of one girl having a panic attack and needing an ambulance! It is an UNREAL work environment and not in a good way! They took away employee discounts because the GM was stealing money and they decided it was due to employees discounts. Management still gets a free meal though.. No perks for regular crew!! If you have a chance to find a job else where I'd do so! I spent 6 years working there and it was the worst six years of my life.
Pros
I was paid.
Cons
Pretty much everything else is awful.
Fast-paced with flexible hours, pay is okay for what it is but good benefits
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONJune 4, 2016
Great boss, mostly friendly & competent coworkers, decent pay and good benefits for supervisors/managers. Also flexible hours which is really nice.

Can get really hot in there though and stressful at times (typical of customer service especially food service). Some of the hours are pretty long in the summer (open later) and the constant hand washing can hurt some people's skin. There is some room for advancement especially if you apply yourself you'll be noticed and rewarded. Your general manager makes all the difference! Also the benefits at this location for the supervisors/managers are great.
Pros
discounted/free meals, flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
hot, stressful, customers, sometimes long hours
An Incredible Place to Learn and Refine Skills
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONMarch 8, 2016
Upon entering the Wendy's establishment I was always greeted with a friendly welcome. I learned that more can be accomplished simply with kindness and understanding than with dictatorship and micro management. Wendy's was a perfect example of how collectively as a group men and women could be placed in a fast paced and at times stressful environment and yet still achieve superior goals when the crew and the lower management was lead with clear expectations, organization and gratitude for a job well done. The most challenging aspect of working as a manager often times was finding an effective way to blend the unique personalities of each employee while allowing them to do the jobs that they where best at...."Aces in their Places". By doing so effectively as a team we were able to meet service times, projected sales, friendly work environment and superior customer service. The most enjoyable part of working at Wendy's as a manager by far was having an opportunity to spend my days with intelligent, capable and overall incredible people who made work feel like a second home and the staff feel like extended family.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Unstable schedualling
People made the job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONJuly 15, 2016
As you could expect from a fast food company the work wasn't glorious, the pay wasn't great and sometimes the hours were long. But as the title says the real satisfaction was the people I met and the friendships I made. Not just co-workers and management, but regular customers who would come in and I would know them by name and order and we would have discussions about the on-goings of our lives. This was made even more apparent when I finally decided to quit and hearing how sad everyone (management, co-workers and customers) was when they heard about it. All in all was glad that I worked there
Pros
Discount meals
Cons
non-regular hours
Fun place to work
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 29, 2016
Wendy's, delicious food and great management. Working at Wendy's was the best six months of my life. I was able to come into work, get caught up on what needs to be done and work with awesome people. One of my favorite things at Wendy's was I was able to meet different people who shared the same interest as myself. We were able to connect, which made work go by so quick. Management was able to give me my requested shifts and book the days off when needed; this was great as a was going to school at the same time. I highly suggest those who need a part-time or full-time job (as they have permanent benefits, for those who need it.)
Pros
Half off meals
Cons
Lots of cleaning

2.8