The Wendy's Company

The Wendy's Company Employee Reviews in Canada

On the New Liskeard "Wendy's" brand.
Cashier, Drive (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Average day to day work varied greatly, due to the general lack of social skills of a couple of a couple of the managers, since fixed, and the nearly venomous attitude between the morning and evening shifts.

The assistant manager, and the new manager have a wonderful chemistry, and are liked by nearly all of the staff and teamwork is a high point here compared to other locations I have seen. This location is one of the better locations I have been to, be it working for or purchasing from, even if the regional manager seems hellbent on having it get closed down.

The general attitude of staff ranged from complacent, to hostile at the location. The general politics however do not go above general staff to the management, baring one exception.

The most difficult part of working at this location is during a software breakdown during a rush, guaranteed to happen once a week, barring working a dead shift where no customers enter the store for 4-5hrs. Other than these difficulties the location, and the small town staff, made this location a treat to work for.
Pros
50% off lunch, admirable week staff
Cons
routine dead periods, abysmal weekend evening staff.
excellent for part time or students
Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara RegionDecember 6, 2015
Over the 14+ years I had worked for the company, I saw it switch hands from corporate to franchise. At the beginning it was wonderful. The company does have high expectations which I thoroughly enjoyed. They are not friendly to employees that have a family or children. Best bet or hire for them is for a single person with no outside lifestyle. The co-workers are all very likeable. It is a very stressful job since most people don't understand how hard you actually have to work in fast food and customers treat you badly. Depending on the store you work in the management are nice to work with. They do pay well and they do offer benefits. They do give you hours based on your availability. The more available you are, the more hours you receive.
pays bills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
Job is repetitive and the hours are long. Boss don't replace broken equipment, and we often run out of food because they are trying to cut down on food costs.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
no raises, long hours
Great place as a first job, but not willing getting treated poorly over.
Crew Member / Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ONOctober 21, 2015
Overall working at Wendy's was not a bad experience, it helped me gain great skills while working with people and to be more outgoing. The working environment was not the greatest, but I did enjoy the people I worked with. Management was not the greatest either, they did not take anyone serious. If an employee was hurt, they were told to "suck it up and continue their shift." Unless, they were able to find someone to cover for them. I was always treated very unfair and poorly, especially since I was promoted to manager which does seem odd because I was always a fast and hard-worker, which usually that would be something you get rewarded for, but not at Wendy's.
Pros
Fellow crew members, and the customers
Cons
Management, salary, the lack of concern for the health and safety of other employee's.
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 22, 2016
Lots of room for advancement. You learn a variety of different skills. You get a lot of support from higher management.
Team work is always emphasized. There were Christmas parties, and summer fun days.
It gave me a great education and opportunities to see how much I can achieve.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Low pay
Work Environment
Wendy's Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 23, 2016
The typical day at work is that you come in and set up your station depending on what you're working. I learned how to listen to each customers order over the headset and enter it correctly without messing up the order. Management was great, they were all nice and very friendly people. Co-workers were just a bonus of going to work, as long as you have good co-workers you'll have a good time at work. The hardest part of the job is to make sure you get your service times, sometimes it gets really busy and you just have to work at a faster pace which I like better. The mot enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers, getting to know the regulars and making sure the regulars come back happy.
Pros
Good work enviroment, friendly staff/management, good with schedule, 50% off lunch
Cons
Long shifts
Great place to build experience and knowlegde
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 17, 2016
At Wendys I was a shift coordinator who supervised and ran variety of shifts from opens to close. My day at work would be the usually organizing of the shift from placement of the team members to preparing products to serve. As well as running the floor during the shift helping in areas needed like drive thru, front counter, food preparation and prep. I learned a lot each and every day due to things always changing. My management staff for the most part were on the same page as others and sometimes bumped head. The team members were good, we had many different types such as students to full time regular staff and they all had different personalities. The hardest part of the job was that the shifts were all over the place. I truely enjoyed the customers and servicing them.
Friendly and Fun Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 5, 2016
A typical day of work is extremely busy. During our lunch and dinner hours we handled high volumes of customers. I experienced a very busy environment and learned not only to be a cashier, but I also ensured a clean restaurant. I cleaned the dining room and bathrooms, also in the kitchen. I was a drive-thru cashier as well and that was quite the experience, also very busy area. Management was quite excellent. I became friends with my supervisors and manager. Although there was a bit of favoritism when giving out hours. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the dining room clean at our rush hour times. Sometimes no one could make it out to clean. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely talking to the customers. We had a lot of regulars and they were all very friendly. Since I am also a very friendly and sociable person, I got along extremely well with not only my co-workers but the customers as well.
Pros
50% off of food.
Cons
Not enough hours at times.
fun and competitive environment
Cashier, Sandwich Maker, Grill (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2016
very busy and enjoyable. time management skills are key. Hardest part of jobs is closing but I got used to it. Co workers are great and friendly. Awesome environment to work in.
Great work environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Lasalle, QCMarch 15, 2016
A great quality fast food restaurant with good management with hard working employees who aim at providing fresh quality food
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
Long Hours
It's a whole bunch of fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Although everyone gets paid the same wage and there is not a lot of room to advance forward in Wendy's you can have a great time. The management is really good, the people are very nice and the hours are very flexible. It's a good job to have throughout high school, you are able to learn about things you wouldn't be able to know on your own and you get to work with people. Shifts are a decent length and cleaning is not that much of a hassle, I loved working at my Wendy's.
productive but bad management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 30, 2016
Management here sucked. I never wanted to go to work due to the ignorance there! I put up with it long enough. They had me working 6 days out of 7, without having me at at least 40 hours. On civic holidays they would have me come in for 3 hour shifts. One time they threw my work shoes out that I left in the crew room, where everyone else's shoes were stored.
Pros
half off food
Cons
they would give me 6 shifts a week and i would only get 37 hours.
Boring as heck
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMarch 12, 2016
All I do is stand in front of the grill, I only learned how to use the grill and clean things, since I haven't done any other position. I think management is fair, but they can really be nepotistic. I have some good co-workers, but most of them are not very bright, and they are too lazy to do certain tasks at Wendy's. I can't think of any enjoyable part of the job, since most of the time I'm just standing around flipping burgers. The hardest part of the job is keeping up through rush hour.
Pros
Breaks with lunch
Cons
Not enough hours
Intense, productive and professional workplace
Crew Member/Grill (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBDecember 9, 2015
A typical day at work would include preparing food, restocking shelves, providing customer service, and lifting heavy boxes of food to the freezer, and taking out the garbage.
I learned how to communicate more efficiently in the workplace as well as in society.
The management was professional, supportive and caring. If they saw you were struggling to keep morale, they'd say you were doing a great job and to keep it up.
The co-workers joked around a lot, but completed the tasks at hand.
The hardest part of the job was the fast paced environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience of conversing with new people from working the front, or just talking with co-workers on break.
Pros
Work experience and meeting new people
Cons
Grease
Excellent platform for career oriented individuals
"Shift Supervisor" (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2015
A great place to work. Excellent store team and the management team. Loads of information to learn. Awesome culture and complete respect to all individuals. Clear path for the promotions and great feedback given time to time so as to improve professionally and personally. All in all a great place to work and grow.
productive
cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 12, 2016
amazing work culture ,friendly atmosphere,good team work.
like to work with fast paced learning in the fast food centre
treating the customers with greeting and serve hot and tasty food
benefits
Cons
...
An Incredible Place to Learn and Refine Skills
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONMarch 8, 2016
Upon entering the Wendy's establishment I was always greeted with a friendly welcome. I learned that more can be accomplished simply with kindness and understanding than with dictatorship and micro management. Wendy's was a perfect example of how collectively as a group men and women could be placed in a fast paced and at times stressful environment and yet still achieve superior goals when the crew and the lower management was lead with clear expectations, organization and gratitude for a job well done. The most challenging aspect of working as a manager often times was finding an effective way to blend the unique personalities of each employee while allowing them to do the jobs that they where best at...."Aces in their Places". By doing so effectively as a team we were able to meet service times, projected sales, friendly work environment and superior customer service. The most enjoyable part of working at Wendy's as a manager by far was having an opportunity to spend my days with intelligent, capable and overall incredible people who made work feel like a second home and the staff feel like extended family.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Unstable schedualling
fun place to work
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCJanuary 8, 2016
a typical day consisted of taking in orders of customers and making their food so that it was enjoyable to eat/drink.i learned how to deal with cranky customers and how count cash make the sandwitches and make the chilli and baked patoies cook on the grill for the meat.management was great.co-workers were awsome.the hardest part of the job was there was anything that wasnt hard.the most enjoyable part was the people and the workers and management to work with.
Good survial job
Crew Member, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 15, 2015
Bad benefits, good work hours and management and experience. good for survival job. Lots of skills get polished. But because of too many managers, it becomes difficult to carry out orders from 3 people since many a times they clash with each other. They don't want to spend on employees but from a survival point of view its ok if you don't get anything else
Pros
job profile
benefits
Productive and fun in work site
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 15, 2016
it's enjoyable to serve customers and giving satisfaction to every customers by simply rendering fast,friendly and efficient service to everyone, establish quality product and promote fantastic dining experience. Everyday is a learning experience i have encountered.
Different mood,different nationalities, different people and different attitude to met.
Pros
free meal