The Wendy's Company

The Wendy's Company Employee Reviews

excellent for part time or students
Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara RegionDecember 6, 2015
Over the 14+ years I had worked for the company, I saw it switch hands from corporate to franchise. At the beginning it was wonderful. The company does have high expectations which I thoroughly enjoyed. They are not friendly to employees that have a family or children. Best bet or hire for them is for a single person with no outside lifestyle. The co-workers are all very likeable. It is a very stressful job since most people don't understand how hard you actually have to work in fast food and customers treat you badly. Depending on the store you work in the management are nice to work with. They do pay well and they do offer benefits. They do give you hours based on your availability. The more available you are, the more hours you receive.
pays bills
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2016
Job is repetitive and the hours are long. Boss don't replace broken equipment, and we often run out of food because they are trying to cut down on food costs.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
no raises, long hours
Great place as a first job, but not willing getting treated poorly over.
Crew Member / Manager (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ONOctober 21, 2015
Overall working at Wendy's was not a bad experience, it helped me gain great skills while working with people and to be more outgoing. The working environment was not the greatest, but I did enjoy the people I worked with. Management was not the greatest either, they did not take anyone serious. If an employee was hurt, they were told to "suck it up and continue their shift." Unless, they were able to find someone to cover for them. I was always treated very unfair and poorly, especially since I was promoted to manager which does seem odd because I was always a fast and hard-worker, which usually that would be something you get rewarded for, but not at Wendy's.
Pros
Fellow crew members, and the customers
Cons
Management, salary, the lack of concern for the health and safety of other employee's.
productive
cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 12, 2016
amazing work culture ,friendly atmosphere,good team work.
like to work with fast paced learning in the fast food centre
treating the customers with greeting and serve hot and tasty food
benefits
Cons
...
Great people to work with
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 19, 2016
I would open the restaurant by counting the tills for that day and setting them up in the tills. I would do a cleanliness checklist from the closing shift the night before just to make sure everything is clean before we open. I would turn on all the equipment to prepare for the cooking. I would set up the break plan and the floor plan so that the employees knew which position they were working in that day. I would check to make sure that outside was clean of garbage and debris. I would also assign cleaning tasks to the crew. If it was a certain day of the week then I would place the food order or have a health and safety meeting or being doing the crew schedules. The hardest part of the job is making sure that the customers get their food in an accurate and timely manner. My manager was great when I worked there.
Pros
The people that I worked with
Cons
The late nights on the weekends
Not very professional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONJuly 12, 2016
It would have been a great experience but the timing wasn't right. Unfortunately, shortly after I got the job, we found out my dad was dying of cancer and he was only going to live for 3 more weeks. When my dad passed away, I couldn't function at all as it was also the first death I ever had to deal with and watching my father wither away to nothing really got to me.

When I told my manager, she told me I can take time off. However, other managers and co-workers were gossiping regarding the time I took off due to my dads death.

Other than that, it was a great experience. I was a very independent worker and extremely friendly to the customers and my co-workers.

I learnt even if people are going to be bitter and negative, just kill them with kindness.
Pros
friendly customers
Cons
gossiping
Do not work at wendys in ck, on!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONJune 17, 2016
The job it's self was typical of fast food work.. really fast paced, easy work, VERY LOW HOURS (managers have favourites) no breaks etc. However the management and employees are worse than any high school clique I've ever heard of! Crew members making others lives miserable, bullying to the point of one girl having a panic attack and needing an ambulance! It is an UNREAL work environment and not in a good way! They took away employee discounts because the GM was stealing money and they decided it was due to employees discounts. Management still gets a free meal though.. No perks for regular crew!! If you have a chance to find a job else where I'd do so! I spent 6 years working there and it was the worst six years of my life.
Pros
I was paid.
Cons
Pretty much everything else is awful.
Fun place to work
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 29, 2016
Wendy's, delicious food and great management. Working at Wendy's was the best six months of my life. I was able to come into work, get caught up on what needs to be done and work with awesome people. One of my favorite things at Wendy's was I was able to meet different people who shared the same interest as myself. We were able to connect, which made work go by so quick. Management was able to give me my requested shifts and book the days off when needed; this was great as a was going to school at the same time. I highly suggest those who need a part-time or full-time job (as they have permanent benefits, for those who need it.)
Pros
Half off meals
Cons
Lots of cleaning
People made the job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONJuly 15, 2016
As you could expect from a fast food company the work wasn't glorious, the pay wasn't great and sometimes the hours were long. But as the title says the real satisfaction was the people I met and the friendships I made. Not just co-workers and management, but regular customers who would come in and I would know them by name and order and we would have discussions about the on-goings of our lives. This was made even more apparent when I finally decided to quit and hearing how sad everyone (management, co-workers and customers) was when they heard about it. All in all was glad that I worked there
Pros
Discount meals
Cons
non-regular hours
Good survial job
Crew Member, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 15, 2015
Bad benefits, good work hours and management and experience. good for survival job. Lots of skills get polished. But because of too many managers, it becomes difficult to carry out orders from 3 people since many a times they clash with each other. They don't want to spend on employees but from a survival point of view its ok if you don't get anything else
Pros
job profile
benefits
Fast-paced with flexible hours, pay is okay for what it is but good benefits
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONJune 4, 2016
Great boss, mostly friendly & competent coworkers, decent pay and good benefits for supervisors/managers. Also flexible hours which is really nice.

Can get really hot in there though and stressful at times (typical of customer service especially food service). Some of the hours are pretty long in the summer (open later) and the constant hand washing can hurt some people's skin. There is some room for advancement especially if you apply yourself you'll be noticed and rewarded. Your general manager makes all the difference! Also the benefits at this location for the supervisors/managers are great.
Pros
discounted/free meals, flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons
hot, stressful, customers, sometimes long hours
On the New Liskeard "Wendy's" brand.
Cashier, Drive (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Average day to day work varied greatly, due to the general lack of social skills of a couple of a couple of the managers, since fixed, and the nearly venomous attitude between the morning and evening shifts.

The assistant manager, and the new manager have a wonderful chemistry, and are liked by nearly all of the staff and teamwork is a high point here compared to other locations I have seen. This location is one of the better locations I have been to, be it working for or purchasing from, even if the regional manager seems hellbent on having it get closed down.

The general attitude of staff ranged from complacent, to hostile at the location. The general politics however do not go above general staff to the management, baring one exception.

The most difficult part of working at this location is during a software breakdown during a rush, guaranteed to happen once a week, barring working a dead shift where no customers enter the store for 4-5hrs. Other than these difficulties the location, and the small town staff, made this location a treat to work for.
Pros
50% off lunch, admirable week staff
Cons
routine dead periods, abysmal weekend evening staff.
Fantastic place to work
Cashier, drive-thru order taker and bagger (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 30, 2016
A typical day at work for me was to go in and see smile faces on everyone, the customers most of the time were happy. I learned that no matter what the customer is always right at Wendys. The management and the co-workers were very friendly and great people to be around. There wasnt really a hard part about it, the Wendys team in Barrie helped each other out with everything, they're a great team. The most enjoyable part of my job was making sure the customers got what they needed, and made sure they were happy and would want to come back again.
Pros
Great staff
Excellent Fast-Paced Work Environment
Sandwich Maker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 21, 2016
Working at Wendy's is a fast-paced job. It can be quite demanding, but overall, it's a rewarding experience. Especially if you can do your job effectively and efficiently. Although, the training and on the job experience lends more to customer service and the food industry, rather than construction and trades. For reference in case you feel like switching occupational titles anytime soon.
Pros
Fast-Paced, Rewarding Experience
Cons
Your manager can mean the difference between success and failure, So can your fellow employees, You must work as a team or fail as a team
Bad Shifts
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJuly 2, 2016
The work was ok, shifts ran from 4 to 8 on weekdays and 6 hour to 8 hour shifts on the weekends. I learned how to deal with bad customers and micro organization. Management was horrible, and would change shifts multiple times daily, to the point a schedule was unnecessary because it would change so often you had unpredictable schedule.Co-workers were incredibly nice and were helpful especially for my first job. The hardest part of the job was predicting if i had a shift or not from the constant shifting. I really enjoyed getting to help people out and glad the smile i had on my face made them happy.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
constant shift chnages
there is no fun
Cashier and Grill (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 24, 2016
i have been working in wendys long time and i worked hard with no recognition in either way for example in two years i got .25 cents an hour raise and no promotion - the people who joined after me they promoted but not me.

when i asked for the transfer i have been harrased gy the GM of the store i felt quitting but i can't i need to support the family. the main thing is so called general manager is ruining the reputation of the store and the brand wendys. there no one in head office to take care of this.
i don't work in a company where i don't get satifaction.
Pros
Cons
not enough hours to work with
It's a whole bunch of fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Although everyone gets paid the same wage and there is not a lot of room to advance forward in Wendy's you can have a great time. The management is really good, the people are very nice and the hours are very flexible. It's a good job to have throughout high school, you are able to learn about things you wouldn't be able to know on your own and you get to work with people. Shifts are a decent length and cleaning is not that much of a hassle, I loved working at my Wendy's.
Wendy's
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 20, 2016
a typical day at work would consist of a lot of pressure. a lot and a lot of pressure. working in a fast food restaurant can be very tiring. working long shifts and standing on your feet for hours, this job has taught me how to multitask at its finest. many would wonder how, this is because at wendys just like any fast food restaurant has you working on many things at onces. For me, i usually work as the cook dropping fresh meat, chicken, fries and all kinds of stuff, there is a lot to worry about when working as the cook, making sure its cooked properly, making sure there enough meat for the sandwich maker to have and a lot more.
very fast paced work place but sweet.
Cashier/cook (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 4, 2016
drive thru sandwhiches was always where i was placed (aces in their places) became very fast at the tasks i had to accomplish in very short amounts of time. how to bump and slide is what i learned and what i mean by that is as an example (you got time to lean you have time to clean) co-workers were very nice people never had problems with anyone not pulling their own weight. hardest part of the job would be the short amount of time you have to complete an order and get it out that window. most enjoyable part was also the speed at which things needed to be done. always kept you on your toes.
Pros
free lunches and got to work with some friends
Cons
short shifts everyday rather than long shifts (which i prefer)
Work Environment
Wendy's Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONFebruary 23, 2016
The typical day at work is that you come in and set up your station depending on what you're working. I learned how to listen to each customers order over the headset and enter it correctly without messing up the order. Management was great, they were all nice and very friendly people. Co-workers were just a bonus of going to work, as long as you have good co-workers you'll have a good time at work. The hardest part of the job is to make sure you get your service times, sometimes it gets really busy and you just have to work at a faster pace which I like better. The mot enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers, getting to know the regulars and making sure the regulars come back happy.
Pros
Good work enviroment, friendly staff/management, good with schedule, 50% off lunch
Cons
Long shifts

2.8