The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Easy job, but very poor management.
Key Holder (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Easy, train on-the-job, health benefits, merch discount.
Cons: Poor management, do not value their employees.
The Vitamin Shoppe is a very easy place to work. They do not require any knowledge of products when starting, you'll learn on-th-job. I really enjoy working full-time here, unfortunately the management and upper management are horrible. They don't value their health enthusiasts/ employees. They're all very good at dancing around questions and not giving anyone the raises that were promised to them (Which are only 10 cents by the way! Talk about cheap!) It's very difficult to move up in the company. Since my employment began early last year, I've seen two women passed up for both the store manager, and assistant store manager positions even though though they expressed interest and have been with the company for years. They were not even given interviews before 2 men were brought in, one just hired from outside the company. Unfortunately, because of this disregard for their employees desires to move up in the company, I've seen a very high turn over rate with ASM's, and Key Holders. My hours have recently been cut from 40 to 30, and I am looking for a new job because the manager just doesn't care that I'm not making enough now to pay my bills. The managers do not care about their employees at all! I do not recommend this job. If you value yourself, you should look for a job where your co-workers and managers value you as well. They will not value you at The Vitamin Shoppe.
Average work-life balance, good product education, easy work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Greater Boston AreaFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Nice co-workers, PTO, not physicly demanding, flexible schedules, discount and product education
Cons: compensation, poor leadership, no set schedule, and growth potential
Vitamin Shoppes pros right now are average work-life balance, good product education and easy and fun work environment..... and thats about it.
Great Structure With Many Flaws
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), NJJanuary 31, 2016
Pros: Discount, Fun if you like health
Cons: customers think you are beneath them because well...its retail, higher management could careless just get it done
As an assistant manager for a company that I have worked multiple locations of. I must say the district managers and anybody above store level does not develop a relationship with you nor do they care for your advancement, Each manager I have encountered is very self centered catering the schedule specifically to their needs and ONLY their needs. As well as leaving early and or coming late. Do as they say and not as they do is their model. The end of the day its a retail job and end of the day your just another body, if you are seeking growth look else where.
Review
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee), Merrillville, INJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: vitamins
Cons: not allowed to say
Talking bad about this company may mean my termination so I can't. I hope you the reader understand this. As I was made aware, the corporation has a department that specialize in relaying these types of posts to the corporate leaders after the store/employee has been narrowed down. Thus leading to the employees termination
Positive workplace, better than most
KEY HOLDER (FULLTIME) (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: discount, positive environment
Cons: healthcare is too expensive, demanded open availability, extensive training and standards for non compatible pay
I love working here, unfortunately the pay is not compatible with the amount of knowledge they expect us to have and learn in the field. Scheduling flexibility is nonexistent and they demand open availability which means you can only complete college education online.
Vitamin Shoppe Review
Store Manager (Former Employee), Tonawanda, NYJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: Helping People with health issues
Cons: retail, long hours, a lot of work
I worked for The Vitamin Shoppe for about 8 years and really liked it. It is retail, so long hours and a lot on your shoulders as a Store Manager. The company started to take a lot of perks away from employees over the years, so it made working there less fun. There is very little flexibility for work/family balance. The pay isn't bad, but not great either.
very up beat, and informational.
health enthusiast (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: good enviorment, loved my boss she was so nice
the vitamin stop was very physical, always on your feet. always learning new things. the more you knew about the products the more you got paid. I enjoyed the people I worked with.
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee), Syosset, NYJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: great benefits, excellent people
Cons: none
great upper management
nurtures talent and promotes from within
good work environment
great people
feels great to help customers with their wellness needs and not have to push products the customers don't need
It can be better
assistant manager (Current Employee), 2086A BroadwayJanuary 6, 2016
When working for the Vitamin Shoppe, if you are in a top grossing store, expect customer after customer.The day can be fast paced, once again if you are in a flagship store. Eventually you will get into the groove of a routine and begin to auto-pilot your job. This can pose as a problem for some, because for me, I like a job where my environment constantly changes.
Vitaminshoppe
Manager (Current Employee), Queens, NYJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: Health Education
Cons: 30 minute breaks
Vitaminshoppe is a great company to work for it has opportunity for growth for employees. As Management I gained knowlege oh heath as well as the different ways to take care of someone's health needs.
One stop shop!
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee), La Quinta, CAJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: Good Discounts! Friendly People!
Cons: None
I really loved worked here. The staff is amazing and very up beat. They definitely want to make sure you get what you need, and have plenty of help finding it while you're in the store. Trusted advisers for your health and supplement needs!
Great communication skills and interaction with all types of people
Retail sales (Current Employee), East Northport, NYDecember 28, 2015
Pros: Meeting new people and discounts on supplements
Cons: Schedules vary from week to week
My work day involves interacting with public on every level from sales and also product informations. The job title is not too demanding in that I am very confortable communicating with people and my knowledge of fitness allows me to be an asset to people who are inquiring about various supplements and excercise routines. This attributes are all a result of my role in the Boy Scouts of America as a First Class Scout.
great place
Store Manager (Former Employee), Seaside, CADecember 17, 2015
learn every day with the help of VSU and from customers. get to know about all the different products in the store and how they work
Most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
Cons: Retail burnout. Not enough days off
Worked at The Vitamin Shoppe for many years and became very familiar with several locations within Manhattan. Some of the best moments came from customer interactions. I really enjoyed helping and learning from the customers. Interacting with the customers was a great way to learn about new trends within the health and wellness industry. It is a very rewarding job if you want to a have an impact on customers' lives. Besides this, TVS pays too little attention to its store managers. Store Managers are often not held accountable for their lack of organization. Many stores do not have appropriate facilities such as restrooms and meeting areas. This would lead to managers having "on the spot coaching" or berating on a sales floor. TVS would greatly improve its service to the public by keeping its prices moderate and hiring more educated employees. Overall, retail is a thankless job and VS corporate office helps to solidify this by underpaying and cutting benefits to its retail employees.
Flexible and fun work environment
Assistant Manger, Community Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee), Long Island, NYDecember 4, 2015
Pros: Flexible, and Friendly Environment
Cons: Short breaks
A normal day at work would consist in helping customers with what they would need for there health goals.

I have learned many skills most important skill I learned is leadership.

Many opportunities to move up in the company. You learn and show that you want to be promoted and they will no problem, once a position is available.
Great customer base
Assistant manager (Current Employee), San Jose, CANovember 25, 2015
typical day would be merchandising the store, greeting customers and digging deep to see what products would work best for them. order new products. finish shipment two days a week.
productive day at the Vitamin Shoppe
Key Holder (Current Employee), Tukwila, WANovember 19, 2015
The store that I was first hired at is where I learned most of what I know today. A productive day includes opening the store by balancing the safe and registers and beginning the daily paperwork. Once that is finished I open emails and see the spreadsheet of the previous days numbers and compare them to the goals. Once all that is done the doors are open and the customer service and projects begin. I was trained/educated for about a year on the facts of vitamins and supplements. Through out the day I provide my knowledge to customers and take on planograms (merchandising projects) and clean and organize the store. I also take part in training new employees and helping out at other locations. At the end of the day I face and clean the store, and finish the days paperwork.
chance to impact people's lives
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee), North Olmsted, OHNovember 13, 2015
My favorite part of the job is getting to REALLY help people make changes in their health and life.
However, the hardest part can be when you don't have the ability to convey what a customer really needs. At times, they have a specific product in mind, even though it may not really be what they need. I attempt to advise them so as to hopefully save them money and inconvenience, but sometimes the customer sees it differently based on having previously getting incorrect information elsewhere.
Unnecessarily strict management, bad moral ethics
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee), Portland, ORNovember 6, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours, fun health fair events, occasional free supplements
Cons: Low pay/payroll, you are expected to do a lot and always be doing something. Stressful boring tasks.
Their website tells you how you can take a few steps into becoming "green". But the company dumps loads of products into the water system, including oils, protein powders, amino liquids, etc in massive amounts.

The plannograms have to be done to the T and hardly ever make logical sense as to why the products are moving. An example is they will swap a products with the product next to it and that is it for the whole bay.

Always working when customers are not in the building. You will never have time to take a breather until your break.
Helping women
Key holder (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PANovember 4, 2015
We are an open store we give everyone in what they are looking for, for me i love to help women grown back the hair that is lost. Lets say after cancer or anything else that may happen in life which most times can be from stress and you don`t want to be bald so you can come to me and i can show you and help you on what to take and what maybe going on with your hair.
My Co-workers are fine we all get along, not really any hard parts of my job i like the job