The Vitamin Shoppe

The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Key Holder to Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2016
Excellent company to grow with. To make it beyond store manager you must have multi-unit experience and preferably a 4-year degree. Work life balance is exceptional in all roles. Compensation is about average compared to the retail industry. Job Security is exceptional except if you make a serious violation of company policy. Management is dependent upon your immediate supervisor or district manager. I have experienced both stability and instability depending on the district I was in. Culture is exceptional. Vitamin Shoppe is a health and wellness lifestyle brand. Should company benefits include more samples to partners all would benefit.
Cons
minimal staff
Great Structure With Many Flaws
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 31, 2016
As an assistant manager for a company that I have worked multiple locations of. I must say the district managers and anybody above store level does not develop a relationship with you nor do they care for your advancement, Each manager I have encountered is very self centered catering the schedule specifically to their needs and ONLY their needs. As well as leaving early and or coming late. Do as they say and not as they do is their model. The end of the day its a retail job and end of the day your just another body, if you are seeking growth look else where.
Pros
Discount, Fun if you like health
Cons
customers think you are beneath them because well...its retail, higher management could careless just get it done
Very passionate culture with great training
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJOctober 16, 2015
Working at the Vitamin Shoppe was a great experience, especially coming from GNC. Vitamin Shoppe offered a great, fast paced environment that allowed me to get the training necessary to have a strong grasp on the supplements sold.
My only drawback with the company is the low level of job advancement and compensation. Pay is below average compared to responsibility. Also advancement is weak due to the fact that upper management would rather hire from outside sources rather than promoting within.
Overall from the stores I have worked for (Cifton/Brick NJ), I can truly say that these people care about the people they talk to. They are some of the most genuine people I have ever met and they all focus on one objective; the healthy lifestyle of their valued customers.
Pros
Experience, Knowledge, Discount
Cons
Advancement, Pay
Helping people live a healthy and balanced lifestyle
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAMarch 22, 2016
I really enjoy working for this company, I do however feel like opportunities to move up are limited at best. I always want to move up and continue to be challenged.
Pros
Great culture, Great work environment, enjoy helping people
Cons
Limited promotion oppertunities
Easy job, but very poor management.
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
The Vitamin Shoppe is a very easy place to work. They do not require any knowledge of products when starting, you'll learn on-th-job. I really enjoy working full-time here, unfortunately the management and upper management are horrible. They don't value their health enthusiasts/ employees. They're all very good at dancing around questions and not giving anyone the raises that were promised to them (Which are only 10 cents by the way! Talk about cheap!) It's very difficult to move up in the company. Since my employment began early last year, I've seen two women passed up for both the store manager, and assistant store manager positions even though though they expressed interest and have been with the company for years. They were not even given interviews before 2 men were brought in, one just hired from outside the company. Unfortunately, because of this disregard for their employees desires to move up in the company, I've seen a very high turn over rate with ASM's, and Key Holders. My hours have recently been cut from 40 to 30, and I am looking for a new job because the manager just doesn't care that I'm not making enough now to pay my bills. The managers do not care about their employees at all! I do not recommend this job. If you value yourself, you should look for a job where your co-workers and managers value you as well. They will not value you at The Vitamin Shoppe.
Pros
Easy, train on-the-job, health benefits, merch discount.
Cons
Poor management, do not value their employees.
Okay for a summer job...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 9, 2016
This job was great when I first started as a college student who needed some extra cash, but after almost four years (and a few promotions due to excessive turnover) this job has become a nightmare. Management at all levels is just horrible, corporate is greatly disconnected from the actual retail stores, and there are too many "changes" happening all at once.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Everything Else
Average work-life balance, good product education, easy work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater Boston AreaFebruary 2, 2016
Vitamin Shoppes pros right now are average work-life balance, good product education and easy and fun work environment..... and thats about it.
Pros
Nice co-workers, PTO, not physicly demanding, flexible schedules, discount and product education
Cons
compensation, poor leadership, no set schedule, and growth potential
Supportive and Inspiring place to work.
Assistant Manager/Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 29, 2016
A typical day at the "Shoppe" is never boring. The customers are always friendly and the team is like family. Trust and dependancy is abundant and there literally is never a day that goes by that one would ever dread going to work. The product knowledge is continually progressive and endless which makes the job intriguing and increasingly more satisfying and addictive. The hardest part of the job is learning where everything is in the store, but this comes with time and patience. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily customer interaction, employee discount, exposure to the health and wellness industry and how much the company takes care of it's employees.
Pros
Employee discount rates, benefits, product and industry exposure.
Cons
None.
The Vitamin Shoppe
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  NYAugust 11, 2015
Assistant Manager hired 1 1/2 years ago. Pay rate is low. One year raise at 21 cents! Learning about store product is critical and the company has learning paths that are very good at educating on product. Store manager is not qualified or effective in position. Environment is good for retail - all customers are welcomed and addressed and assisted. Customers are treated as if they are important. Staff is not. Micro-management, lack of imagination and humor as well as zero people-skills possessed by my particular store manager make the job far less enjoyable than it could be. The hardest part of the position is staying motivated while enduring low wages and bad management. The most enjoyable is making connections with customers and having the tools/information to truly help them with their needs. My co-workers are mainly young, bright people using the job as short term income. Very difficult to hire new people due to the low wage. Very difficult to retain good people due to bad management.
Pros
Customer friendly.
Cons
Low pay. Bad management.
Productive fun work place with a ping pong table and gym
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  North Bergen, NJOctober 18, 2015
The Vitamin Shoppe offers an arrangement of perks from a Gym to a ping pong table. There are a lot of cliques and if you are not friends with them, do not expect advancement. The amount of nepotism going on is sickening. The CEO and heads of the company try to make it a fun place to work, but they can't micromanage everything.
Pros
Free lunches occasionally, free product, company picnic
Cons
They boast about movement within the company but then are hesitant to promote from within.
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYJanuary 7, 2016
great upper management
nurtures talent and promotes from within
good work environment
great people
feels great to help customers with their wellness needs and not have to push products the customers don't need
Pros
great benefits, excellent people
Cons
Most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
Worked at The Vitamin Shoppe for many years and became very familiar with several locations within Manhattan. Some of the best moments came from customer interactions. I really enjoyed helping and learning from the customers. Interacting with the customers was a great way to learn about new trends within the health and wellness industry. It is a very rewarding job if you want to a have an impact on customers' lives. Besides this, TVS pays too little attention to its store managers. Store Managers are often not held accountable for their lack of organization. Many stores do not have appropriate facilities such as restrooms and meeting areas. This would lead to managers having "on the spot coaching" or berating on a sales floor. TVS would greatly improve its service to the public by keeping its prices moderate and hiring more educated employees. Overall, retail is a thankless job and VS corporate office helps to solidify this by underpaying and cutting benefits to its retail employees.
Cons
Retail burnout. Not enough days off
Great company culture and work-life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2015
A typical day at work as a manager will be mostly helping your team develop and training them on how to succeed at their jobs, communicating tasks to be completed, and goals to be exceeded.
Customer interaction and sales is also a big part of the daily routine.
Focus on tasks comes second to customer satisfaction.
The learning part is the most enjoyable for me, the company makes the training fun.
Pros
work-life balance, benefits
Cons
short breaks
Vitamin Shoppe Review
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYJanuary 22, 2016
I worked for The Vitamin Shoppe for about 8 years and really liked it. It is retail, so long hours and a lot on your shoulders as a Store Manager. The company started to take a lot of perks away from employees over the years, so it made working there less fun. There is very little flexibility for work/family balance. The pay isn't bad, but not great either.
Pros
Helping People with health issues
Cons
retail, long hours, a lot of work
Ok job.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CAFebruary 24, 2016
The work week is Sunday to Friday, 10 hours a day, Saturday was 8 hours a day. There is little time for personal life, you work, eat, sleep, get up, and go to work. They actually take time to train you, I loved meeting new people on the job, but it personally wasn't for me because of the days and hours.
Pros
Training, Organized, Simple work, chance to meet new people.
Cons
Long hours, Work Days, almost no days off
We invested in peoples health
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXOctober 26, 2015
Here at The Vitamin Shoppe we worked to make sure our customers were well taken care of. We helped many of them with their health and earned the trust of many. The culture of the business was easy to fall in love with.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
The Pay
A nice, fun environment where you are always learning.
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLOctober 7, 2015
The Vitamin Shoppe is a fun environment that keeps you moving. There is always something to do, people to meet, and things to learn. The management is kind and knowledgable and there is always opportunity for promotion.
No support from upper management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 8, 2016
I took the job because of my knowledge and love of natural supplements. The team I worked with was good. The pay was average. BUT It was all critique from upper management, lots of busy work when we were already swamped and no support.
Great enviroment
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 14, 2016
Easy going place to work. not very stressful. only downside is I was waiting for a promotion that I was in line for but I guess I just didn't make the cut unfortunately.
Pros
easy going
Cons
no recognition
Fast Pace environment, must have upbeat personality, opportunities for personal growth
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2015
This is a company that requires a lot of patience and time, it will teach you a lot about the health and fitness industry, but there are not that many promotional opportunities, who you know can be more important than what you know when working for this company. A lot of the times some managers do not follow the companys rules or procedures and the DM does not respect confidentiality so be very careful what you divulge because you don't want to make an uncomfortable work environment for yourself. You will be moved around a lot and you get no respect or benefits as a Health Enthusiast. If applying to this company, apply for a higher position because the turnover rate of health enthusiast is VERY high for good reasons.