The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

Amazing company to work for...
Assistant Manager/Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN27 February 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was the relationships I built during my tenure with employees and customers. What I've learned is that you own up to your mistakes and move on.
Comfortable, fun workplace with continued learning.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GA27 February 2017
I very much enjoyed working here during my time. A friend referred me for the job which got me one of my favorite jobs and a cash bonus for him. The management were friendly and helpful and facilitated my continued learning of merchandise, customer service and sales, and also scientific information on products. I never worked past 10pm and received raises each time I completed a learning block in their training program. I learned a great deal of information about things I loved and used and about things I wasn't interested in but could use to help others. The management team I worked with is no longer there, but they became like a family to me.
Pros
Comfortable workplace, non-strenuous work, discounts on merchandise, great coworkers, good hours
Cons
Somewhat low pay, limited maximum hours for part-time employees, had to cover visible tattoos (dress code)
Fun and exciting place to work!
SALES (Former Employee) –  Lady Lake, FL27 February 2017
I loved working for The Vitamin Shoppe, you learned something new everyday and they give you the knowledge to help customer's with their needs.
Pros
Always enjoyed going into work, customer's were friendly and you were treated with respect
Cons
High turnover rate.
Selling Vitamins and Learning
Sales Associate Full Time (Former Employee) –  Huntington Station, NY24 February 2017
At The Vitamin Shoppe I learned much about alternative medicine.
I was able during down time to read books that we had for sale and this piqued my interest in furthering my knowledge of the nutrition industry.

The hardest part of that job for me personally was the DAILY deliveries we would get. This took me away from the customers as I had to stock shelves.
The most enjoyable part for me was interacting with the customers and learning from them as well.
Pros
Just working in the business
Cons
Not much room for advancement.
management creates strees when none is needed
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MD21 February 2017
Not a hard job at all, but management and district management puts a lot of unneeded stress on the employees. Forces sales people to sell to customers whether they need something or not. If you push against this they push you out.
Laid back job with a lot of customer interaction
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA20 February 2017
This job was laid back and had a lot to do with face to face. In a typical day, i would clock in and ask customers if they needed help. Sometimes, we'd do a planogram.
Pros
discount, learn new things
Cons
short breaks, management
A great way to gain retail experience
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cupertino, CA19 February 2017
I had never worked in retail prior to working at the Vitamin Shoppe. I basically learned everything I needed to here at the VS. The store I worked at was brand new, so together, we both were able to build ourselves up. The team I worked with was great and the environment was pretty chill. They had placed us in kind of a bad area, with too much competition around us, so it was hard to gain sales.

The only thing that didn't work well for the company is management. The district managers, regional managers, etc. They seemed to all lack what a leader really is. My DM couldn't even do basic operations, that looked really bad on her. They shut down your creative ideas, they hardly ever tell you you're doing a great job and they can never tell you anything great about you and/or the store.

Overall, I am thankful for working there but upper management needs to be cleaned out and people who actually have a VISION and want to help stores succeed need to come in.
good positon
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CO15 February 2017
ordinary customer service job with decent pay. limited upward mobility though. okay benefits nothing to spectacular though in the big sense.
verry good job
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Matthews, NC15 February 2017
i love to work for vitamin shoppe,because i can help peoples every day.
i also learning every day about health.
company training you about health and you can continue grow in the company
Pros
free samples
Cons
breaks
leave your leadership skills at the door
GENERAL STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  california15 February 2017
receiving twice a week,never coordinated with operation
not enough hours to balance business and tasks. number one job is loss control. Small staffs.
Pros
good healthy environment
Cons
mirco management on all levels
Average at best, great for those starting out in the work force.
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MA4 February 2017
Fairly easy place to work especially if you're into supplements and how they can affect one's lifestyle in a positive manner. All you really have to do is keep the store clean, stock the floor, block and face, and rotate stock aside of opening and closing responsibilities. Depending on the manager you may contribute to store functions like health events or changing end caps. Relatively upbeat work environment and most try to incorporate a fun atmosphere. You will learn a lot about herbs, vitamins, minerals, sports supplements, and a little bit about diseases/ailments as well as basic nutrition. Most enjoyable part of the job is successfully being able to apply what you learn about supplements to help customers. Most difficult part of the job would probably be keeping up with all the sales changes, changeovers, rotations, and effectively stocking to planogram. Overall not difficult. Management is average in the sense that it's a small team so not that much to manage aside of delegating tasks. Downsides are low pay, overtime is near nonexistent and it isnt easily approved, scheduling is a mess and work/personal life balance is where you should prepare to not be able to have much of a consistent personal life. Too much sacrifice for too little reward. The people are usually cool which is a plus side but means very little in relation to what you would want in a job in terms of pay, life balance, benefits.
Productive and fun environment to be employed at.
Customer Service /Sales (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FL4 February 2017
I worked for the Vitamin Shoppe for almost 3 years and I would like to say they treated me with kindness and fairness from the very beginning. The staff was great at the location I worked at. Everyone treated everyone else with respect and showed support for our team and our customers.
Pros
Employee Discounts.
Cons
Short breaks.
Okay Job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Indiana31 January 2017
I don't really have anything bad to say. It's retail. The atmosphere is fun, especially if you like health & wellness. The discounts are nice.
Pros
40% discount on Vitamin Shoppe owned brands
Cons
micromanagement
Always changing policy
Manager (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CA26 January 2017
This company is a good place to work. This company tend to change policies a lot. Its a great place if your into the fitness industry.
Unfortunate experience from the beginning
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ20 January 2017
The manager whom hired me was apparently a psycho and was on her way to being relieved of her position, the manager after this lowered my hours to the point I was unable to pay my bills, and his way of "helping me" was to relate how insufficient his own pay was, on top of this, my co-workers were two-faced and attempted to get me in trouble after giving the impression it was a relaxed environment (I know not to trust co-workers more so than I had before, now). To conclude my time there, they decide to lay me off, since the number of locations were few and no one wanted to place, so the new hire after me gets placed, and I get dropped.
Pros
customer service
Cons
untrustworthy, terrible severance procedures (snail mail), uncompensated shipping
Used to be a great place
Field Training Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL20 January 2017
The Vitamin Shoppe Used to have a great culture. It's changing. enhanced focus on only profit. No focus on development or commitment to the customer. No accountability.
rewarding job due to customer happiness and reviews based on our reccomendation
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CA 9050320 January 2017
fun and energetic staff, including a hard working and fair management. most enjoyable part of my job is the regular customers who love our help. the hardest is balancing alot of tasks for all of us although done effectively.
Not a difficult job, but not worth it for the money
Picker (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VA19 January 2017
The job itself isn't necessarily difficult, it's the fact that they have no concept of work-life balance. They give you the option of 4 - 10 hour days or 5 - 8 hours days. but then they demand overtime and weekends, so everybody ends up working 58-60 hours with only one day off. It's really not worth breaking yourself for the bar minimum of $10/hr.
Amazing company with drive and purpose
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CA18 January 2017
Customers are The Vitamin Shoppes top priority. Regardless of task or operation customers are always taken care of. Being employed by The Vitamin Shoppe for over 12 years I have grown not only as a manager but as a person as well. Management is organized very well and follow the chain of command. Stores/Teams are very tight knit and work hard for each other. Hardest part of job is balancing giving every customer excellent customer service and maintaining all aspects of operations and tasks. By far this have been the best company i have work for.
Pros
Ability to grow in your own health and wellness journey
not bad
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Everett, WA7 January 2017
it really depends on who the DM is. Seattle market north- forget it. that guy has lost more store managers then anyone in history. He is a horrible vegan #$%@#%.