The Vitamin Shoppe Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Key Holder to Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 6, 2016
Cons: minimal staff
Excellent company to grow with. To make it beyond store manager you must have multi-unit experience and preferably a 4-year degree. Work life balance is exceptional in all roles. Compensation is about average compared to the retail industry. Job Security is exceptional except if you make a serious violation of company policy. Management is dependent upon your immediate supervisor or district manager. I have experienced both stability and instability depending on the district I was in. Culture is exceptional. Vitamin Shoppe is a health and wellness lifestyle brand. Should company benefits include more samples to partners all would benefit.
Supportive and Inspiring place to work.
Assistant Manager/Manager in Training (Current Employee), Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 29, 2016
Pros: Employee discount rates, benefits, product and industry exposure.
Cons: None.
A typical day at the "Shoppe" is never boring. The customers are always friendly and the team is like family. Trust and dependancy is abundant and there literally is never a day that goes by that one would ever dread going to work. The product knowledge is continually progressive and endless which makes the job intriguing and increasingly more satisfying and addictive. The hardest part of the job is learning where everything is in the store, but this comes with time and patience. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily customer interaction, employee discount, exposure to the health and wellness industry and how much the company takes care of it's employees.
Very passionate culture with great training
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee), Clifton, NJOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Experience, Knowledge, Discount
Cons: Advancement, Pay
Working at the Vitamin Shoppe was a great experience, especially coming from GNC. Vitamin Shoppe offered a great, fast paced environment that allowed me to get the training necessary to have a strong grasp on the supplements sold.
My only drawback with the company is the low level of job advancement and compensation. Pay is below average compared to responsibility. Also advancement is weak due to the fact that upper management would rather hire from outside sources rather than promoting within.
Overall from the stores I have worked for (Cifton/Brick NJ), I can truly say that these people care about the people they talk to. They are some of the most genuine people I have ever met and they all focus on one objective; the healthy lifestyle of their valued customers.
Average work-life balance, good product education, easy work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Greater Boston AreaFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Nice co-workers, PTO, not physicly demanding, flexible schedules, discount and product education
Cons: compensation, poor leadership, no set schedule, and growth potential
Vitamin Shoppes pros right now are average work-life balance, good product education and easy and fun work environment..... and thats about it.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYDecember 15, 2015
Cons: Retail burnout. Not enough days off
Worked at The Vitamin Shoppe for many years and became very familiar with several locations within Manhattan. Some of the best moments came from customer interactions. I really enjoyed helping and learning from the customers. Interacting with the customers was a great way to learn about new trends within the health and wellness industry. It is a very rewarding job if you want to a have an impact on customers' lives. Besides this, TVS pays too little attention to its store managers. Store Managers are often not held accountable for their lack of organization. Many stores do not have appropriate facilities such as restrooms and meeting areas. This would lead to managers having "on the spot coaching" or berating on a sales floor. TVS would greatly improve its service to the public by keeping its prices moderate and hiring more educated employees. Overall, retail is a thankless job and VS corporate office helps to solidify this by underpaying and cutting benefits to its retail employees.
Easy job, but very poor management.
Key Holder (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 8, 2016
Pros: Easy, train on-the-job, health benefits, merch discount.
Cons: Poor management, do not value their employees.
The Vitamin Shoppe is a very easy place to work. They do not require any knowledge of products when starting, you'll learn on-th-job. I really enjoy working full-time here, unfortunately the management and upper management are horrible. They don't value their health enthusiasts/ employees. They're all very good at dancing around questions and not giving anyone the raises that were promised to them (Which are only 10 cents by the way! Talk about cheap!) It's very difficult to move up in the company. Since my employment began early last year, I've seen two women passed up for both the store manager, and assistant store manager positions even though though they expressed interest and have been with the company for years. They were not even given interviews before 2 men were brought in, one just hired from outside the company. Unfortunately, because of this disregard for their employees desires to move up in the company, I've seen a very high turn over rate with ASM's, and Key Holders. My hours have recently been cut from 40 to 30, and I am looking for a new job because the manager just doesn't care that I'm not making enough now to pay my bills. The managers do not care about their employees at all! I do not recommend this job. If you value yourself, you should look for a job where your co-workers and managers value you as well. They will not value you at The Vitamin Shoppe.
great place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee), Syosset, NYJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: great benefits, excellent people
Cons: none
great upper management
nurtures talent and promotes from within
good work environment
great people
feels great to help customers with their wellness needs and not have to push products the customers don't need
The Vitamin Shoppe
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), NYAugust 11, 2015
Pros: Customer friendly.
Cons: Low pay. Bad management.
Assistant Manager hired 1 1/2 years ago. Pay rate is low. One year raise at 21 cents! Learning about store product is critical and the company has learning paths that are very good at educating on product. Store manager is not qualified or effective in position. Environment is good for retail - all customers are welcomed and addressed and assisted. Customers are treated as if they are important. Staff is not. Micro-management, lack of imagination and humor as well as zero people-skills possessed by my particular store manager make the job far less enjoyable than it could be. The hardest part of the position is staying motivated while enduring low wages and bad management. The most enjoyable is making connections with customers and having the tools/information to truly help them with their needs. My co-workers are mainly young, bright people using the job as short term income. Very difficult to hire new people due to the low wage. Very difficult to retain good people due to bad management.
Healthy and Wellness environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Bayamón, PRSeptember 12, 2015
Pros: Customer Service, Healthy and Wellness Environment, Community Outreach
The Vitamin Shoppe is a healthy and wellness place where you can demonstrate to each of every customer at the store all the natural supplements that can may help for their health concerns.

At the Vitamin Shoppe I learned how to take control of wellness and stay healthy with natural supplements and to help others, on sharing information for their benefits.

On managing the store I learned how to be proactive,passionate, collaborative in helping my team to achieve store sales goals every day, and surpassed company expectations on operational duties.
Great company culture and work-life balance
Store Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 22, 2015
Pros: work-life balance, benefits
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work as a manager will be mostly helping your team develop and training them on how to succeed at their jobs, communicating tasks to be completed, and goals to be exceeded.
Customer interaction and sales is also a big part of the daily routine.
Focus on tasks comes second to customer satisfaction.
The learning part is the most enjoyable for me, the company makes the training fun.
Great Structure With Many Flaws
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), NJJanuary 31, 2016
Pros: Discount, Fun if you like health
Cons: customers think you are beneath them because well...its retail, higher management could careless just get it done
As an assistant manager for a company that I have worked multiple locations of. I must say the district managers and anybody above store level does not develop a relationship with you nor do they care for your advancement, Each manager I have encountered is very self centered catering the schedule specifically to their needs and ONLY their needs. As well as leaving early and or coming late. Do as they say and not as they do is their model. The end of the day its a retail job and end of the day your just another body, if you are seeking growth look else where.
Fast Pace environment, must have upbeat personality, opportunities for personal growth
Sales Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 22, 2015
This is a company that requires a lot of patience and time, it will teach you a lot about the health and fitness industry, but there are not that many promotional opportunities, who you know can be more important than what you know when working for this company. A lot of the times some managers do not follow the companys rules or procedures and the DM does not respect confidentiality so be very careful what you divulge because you don't want to make an uncomfortable work environment for yourself. You will be moved around a lot and you get no respect or benefits as a Health Enthusiast. If applying to this company, apply for a higher position because the turnover rate of health enthusiast is VERY high for good reasons.
Determined Health environment
Health Enthusiast (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 4, 2015
Cons: As a sales associate you get little to no benefits, will move you around to different stores based on their own company needs.
A typical day working for this company would include several rushes of customers, anywhere from 15 to 50 totes of shipment, that have to be stocked during the day, and many daily tasks. Some of those tasks include opening the store, cleaning glass and counter surfaces, and adjusting store products. Closing tasks would include sweeping, mopping, recounting cash registers, wiping down surfaces again , and adjusting store products. Co-workers are friendly and the company is very tight knit, but this can be a problem to someone who is looking for privacy when speaking to managers and co-workers. Hardest part of the job would be learning all the information but it is also the most enjoyable part because you get to properly inform your customers of what it is they need.
Solid Retail Company
Store Manager (Former Employee), Cheektowaga, NYOctober 5, 2015
Vitamin Shoppe is a great place to work for. They teach you all about supplements and healthy life styles as well as solid compensation and a good employee discount.
Okay for a summer job...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), CaliforniaFebruary 9, 2016
Pros: Employee Discount
Cons: Everything Else
This job was great when I first started as a college student who needed some extra cash, but after almost four years (and a few promotions due to excessive turnover) this job has become a nightmare. Management at all levels is just horrible, corporate is greatly disconnected from the actual retail stores, and there are too many "changes" happening all at once.
Helping people live a healthy and balanced lifestyle
Store Manager (Current Employee), Peabody, MAMarch 22, 2016
Pros: Great culture, Great work environment, enjoy helping people
Cons: Limited promotion oppertunities
I really enjoy working for this company, I do however feel like opportunities to move up are limited at best. I always want to move up and continue to be challenged.
Good people but No hours.
Health Enthusiast (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Constant learning and good quality customer service
Cons: Not enough hours to give around and raises don't come around like promotions.
This is a great company for health assistance and service to many needs in those of us looking to keep a better quality of life through supplementation.
Vitamin Shoppe Review
Store Manager (Former Employee), Tonawanda, NYJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: Helping People with health issues
Cons: retail, long hours, a lot of work
I worked for The Vitamin Shoppe for about 8 years and really liked it. It is retail, so long hours and a lot on your shoulders as a Store Manager. The company started to take a lot of perks away from employees over the years, so it made working there less fun. There is very little flexibility for work/family balance. The pay isn't bad, but not great either.
Productive fun work place with a ping pong table and gym
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee), North Bergen, NJOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Free lunches occasionally, free product, company picnic
Cons: They boast about movement within the company but then are hesitant to promote from within.
The Vitamin Shoppe offers an arrangement of perks from a Gym to a ping pong table. There are a lot of cliques and if you are not friends with them, do not expect advancement. The amount of nepotism going on is sickening. The CEO and heads of the company try to make it a fun place to work, but they can't micromanage everything.
Ok job.
Stocker (Former Employee), Mira Loma, CAFebruary 24, 2016
Pros: Training, Organized, Simple work, chance to meet new people.
Cons: Long hours, Work Days, almost no days off
The work week is Sunday to Friday, 10 hours a day, Saturday was 8 hours a day. There is little time for personal life, you work, eat, sleep, get up, and go to work. They actually take time to train you, I loved meeting new people on the job, but it personally wasn't for me because of the days and hours.