The University of California

The University of California Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Atmosphere where Employers are truly valued
Housing Department - Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJune 17, 2014
Great Organization and great Atmosphere to learn and grow. Everyone (Managers and Coworkers) is friendly and willing to help and explain things. It can get a bit repetitive but overall its a great job.
A great institution of higher education
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee), Riverside, CAJune 14, 2014
Pros: great academic culture
Cons: too much time spent taing
I enjoyed my graduate experience very much. It allowed me to learn a great deal, not only as a scientist, but as a person. Working days tended to be long, often over 10 hours, but my labmates were very amiable and helpful.
Great Work/Life Balance, Compensation & Job Security Problematic
Senior Data Warehouse Analyst (Current Employee), Berkeley, CAJune 14, 2014
Work/Life balance at UC Berkeley is top notch. The job culture is very understanding of family needs with very flexible work hours (turning up late or leaving early to pick up / drop off kids is a given) and the possibility of working from home multiple days per week.

Base pay is about 10-20% lower than market rate for techies.

The benefits are excellent. – more... Health care & pensions have been scaled back a bit recently, but PTO is still generous. I get 18 days of vacation and 12 days of sick leave per year and jury duty is full PTO as well.

The UC system is dependent upon to CA State Government funding, so budget turmoil/churn up in Sacramento impacts UC Berkeley too. – less
Productive and Interact with other coworker
Global Ambassador Program (Current Employee), Davis, CAJune 13, 2014
Pros: have fun and free food sometimes.
Cons: long hours of meeting.
Cooperation, respect and appreciate everyone's opinion, be more enthusiastic, understand where group members come from or how they approach the concern of certain aspects, create a healthy learning environment for everyone. This is something I experience from the program /job. It's an awesome experience learning from my others.
Great place to work with great benefits
CPT II (Former Employee), Davis, CaJune 11, 2014
Pros: worked with alot of good people and you cant get better benefits anywhere else.
Cons: poor management
Only complaint i have is about the poor management at the facility i worked at. They lost alot of good people due to this.
Volunteer Math Tutor
Economics Senior Tutor (Former Employee), Davis, CAJune 10, 2014
Work with multiple students to explain complex concepts from Mathematics courses.
• Help students to understand the notes and assignments, and prepare for exam.
Great University
Faculty Assistant and Event Coordinator (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJune 9, 2014
Working in the University of California system has been a wonderful opportunity, which I will value indefinitely. The UC system offers many benefits to their employees and allows the employees to grow both personally and professionally. It is a diverse place that allows development of interpersonal skills and teaches each employee how to hone and master – more... their natural abilities. – less
Average
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee), Berkeley, CAJune 6, 2014
U. C. Berkeley/ Camous Shared Services has very unclear goals due to a weak Mission Statement.
Would be better if I was a student at UCSD
Research Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 3, 2014
Due to not being a student, not much help was given to me in understanding and fulfilling my duties early on
Good experience
Leader (Former Employee), Santa Cruz, CAJune 2, 2014
tried new and different things
learned about leadership
learned how to manage people
This is an enjoyable working place
Post-doctoral Researcher (Current Employee), La Jolla, CAMay 27, 2014
A typical working day in here, ends planning the following day which start by preparing material, solutions and all what is needed in order to make progress with every project research.
When the projects are in team, we spend time discussing the results and the step to follow. The fact of listen the opinnion of each member in the team helps to have – more... a more complete view of the problem. When the projects are by my self, is even funnier to ask and replay questions about the following steps. Working at UCSD in an interdisciplinar and multicultural group helps to see profesional and personal things from different pesrpectives and lenguages. – less
Excellent Research University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMay 27, 2014
The working environment is excellent, working within a large department allows for good discussions of organic chemistry principles and problem solving when reactions do not quite go as expected. The overall comradery is excellent and the department is well staffed to assist graduate students with any issues.
I also assisted the Maintenance Building Manager (Former Employee), Riverside, CAMay 24, 2014
Pros: schedule flexibility
Easy going job. Managers were mature and responsible. All who worked there were usually up-spirited.
Large state school with unfailing bureaucracy
Principal Clerk/Sr. Cashier (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMay 21, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits
Cons: bureaucracy
Very short lived job. UC Extension had a great group of people. Unfortunately due to California state budget cuts, my job was short lived.

Mostly accounting type work.
Great Place to Work
TEMPORARY ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee), La Jolla, CAMay 20, 2014
Pros: benefits
UCSD offers many great career opportunities, education and advancement.
worked like a dog
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Cruz, CAMay 19, 2014
This summer internship program is very intensive but worth the effort. The lessons learned are a great benefit and the pay was adequate ( for a student)
Internship experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee), Merced, CAMay 13, 2014
My typical day was to review information on simulations, test simulations and review articles that focused on previous experiments to verify simulation results. The simulation in question was a periodic copper substrate and it was being indented on a nanoscopic scale, which is useful for non-invasive testing. The hardest part was trying to figure out – more... the presented data for testing as it was not working in my favor. The enjoyable part was presenting my best findings within the eighteen week Center of Integrated Nanomechanical Systems (COINS) and having my professor thank me for my help. – less
Great Collaborative environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAMay 3, 2014
UCSB is a great place to do science. Collaboration is encouraged and user facilities are well maintained.
Friendly Environement
Project Scientist (Current Employee), Riverside, CAMay 2, 2014
Everyone is friendly and supportive. It is easy to collaborate within campus.
Good learning experience (student researcher)
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAApril 29, 2014
Lab research included flexible hours and lots of hands on learning.

About The University of California

The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system – Read more

The University of California Photos