The University of California

The University of California Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
pretty great job
Cook (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAFebruary 14, 2014
the only thing to me negative about this position is that it was temporary.
Life in the times of an Executive Assistant Extraordinaire
Berkeley, Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Berkeley, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: lots of opportunites for training, networking
I like to think of myself as a person who truly can roll with the punches, adapt to a LOT of change, and still maintain the professional demeanor that my position requires.
Fully benefited and well paid work area
(UCSD) Temporary Employment (Current Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 12, 2014
A great place to work and build a career if given to opportunity to.
Great environment
Staff Research Associate I (Former Employee), Davis, CAFebruary 11, 2014
I loved working at the University. I work best with little to no supervision, and I definitely had that. I loved being able to manage my own time.
good
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Davis, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Great school, good place to work in, salary is good, like teaching a lot
Programmer/Analyst IV - Supervisor (Current Employee), Irvine, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Its a great place to work. Family work life balance is always respected.
not the best pay though
Calm and cozy work environment that was always stress free
Fitness Center Attendant (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: balancing school and work was a breeze, down time during which employees were permitted to do homework
Cons: few hours, low pay, a lot of down time
A typical day would consist of clocking in and waiting for members at the desk. I would check in members as they would arrive, answer the phone when it rang, cleaned the facility often, filed liability waiver paperwork, rented out equipment and assisted people (members and nonmembers) with questions about the fitness center, the apartment complex it – more... was in, Santa Barbara and the University as a community. I learned how to effectively use my time to benefit the University and how to assist anybody in anyway I possibly could. I didn't have any co-workers because we would maintain the front desk alone. The hardest part of my job was the loneliness when the fitness center was in it's down time with no members. I did enjoy how helpful and kind management was. He was almost a friend to the Attendants and always there when we needed them. I also enjoyed that by working for the University they allowed us to do our projects and homework during work hours if the facility was slow. – less
A great place to start
ASSISTANT CLINICAL RESEARCH COORDINATOR (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: celebratory outings together
Cons: long commute for me
I was very lucky my supervisors decided to take me in and train me, I started as a student intern while finishing my MPH, and they wanted to keep me on after I finished my MPH program. I have been happy here ever since.

I work on a research study that is ongoing at the moment, and I have enjoyed learning and applying what I learn when I am on the job. – more... My co workers and I stand on equal ground and it is a great atmosphere to share our thoughts, ideas, and opinions on what we each are busy working on. – less
great place to work
Financial Case Manager (Analyst) (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: great working environment. lets you make key decisions with any supervision.
Cons: wanted to pursue my coding career -
great company to work for with great benefits. just want to explore my other options with other hospitals/facilities.
alot of training
Administrative Analyst, (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good people working there
Cons: no breaks
Long hours, ongoing training, outreach activities. required a lot of travel
Postdoctoral Scholar
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: overworked and underpayed
Cons: freedom over schedul
As a scientist at UCSF, I work on a infectious diseases. I typically work 50-60 hours a week on my project, papers, and scientific presentations. I have a great mentor and a lot of access to high-end science equipment.
useful experience with students
Italian language assistant, intership (Former Employee), Roma, LAZJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: international environment, getting to know other cultures
Cons: location
Italian conversation classes with American Students.
Classes were based on the differences and similarities between Italians and American, aiming at getting American students improve their knowledege of Italian culture, history and language.
The classes also managed to make students feel more confident about their speaking skills in Italian and their – more... grammar as well. – less
Good team
American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Officer (Former Employee), Merced, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Good experience

Was part of a great team of lovely people.

Worked as an internal representative for UC Merced, dealt with all activities that related to this position.
Fun and productive.
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Analyzing a large-scale next-generation sequencing data and developing statistical methods.
Great working environment.
Clinical Liaison (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Serves as an advocate for patients beginning during the pre-admissions process and continuing until the patient is discharged until the patient is discharged from the medical facility.
It's great
Computer Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2014
I enjoyed being on the UCLA campus. You can play tennis during your lunch hours and that is amazing :)
Productive and fun place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 10, 2014
The campus is beautiful, the students are friendly (even the unusually peppy student solicitors on Ring Road), and the courses are challenging. Professors are always willing to assist you and if you maintain good relationships with them, they will help you network and push you on your path to success.
Good academic envitonment, good for temporary position
Jr. Specialist, Biomedical Engineering (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Review published articles, train grad/undergrad students, write experimental protocols
Progressive school; great quality of education
Publicity Officer and Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: very multicultural and progressive school
Cons: heavy study load
This was a rewarding educational experience.
I learned a great deal about leadership; activism and self-determination at this school.
Amazing Learning Environment, Lackluster Dynamic
University Tutor (Former Employee), Merced, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: opportunity to work with great educators and tutors, learning the basics of pedagogy, being in a space where i could practice teaching techniques, some free lunches, seeing students grow
Cons: lack of hours, constant changing of tutoring rooms, length of time waiting for students to attend
I started as a college tutor with the expectation of the most difficult and awarding part of my college experience. I was not mistaken. The class taken to advance to employment was as wondrous as it was draining. In a normal day of tutoring I found myself waiting for a student to drop into the designated tutoring room, which constantly changed, and – more... to either demand help or to meekly ask for advice on a particular writing assignment. I found myself serving a wide clientele ranging from freshman with 3 page papers to juniors in need of help with portfolios to even graduates asking for grammatical help on research proposals. A well-rounded group indeed. Through this work I learned to understand and quickly attend to the needs of a community of writers. Accordingly, I learned to comprehend the notes and prompts given by educators. Both experiences allowing for a better grasp of the the way higher education operates and the expectations therein. As genuine as the management is/was I felt that there was a lack of direction in the overall scheme of things especially as hours were cut and as the quality of tutor dropped when the formerly necessary tutoring class was deemed unnecessary for the work. Besides that the management was very much in-tune with the employees on the whole. My co-workers, for the most part, were amazing, a sound and fun group of people. As a family of tutors we were able to work together in group tutoring sessions and to work out how to aid each other in times of need such as those times when of illness or overwhelming stress. I found that the hardest part of the job was the waiting. Waiting for students in a silent room and hoping that at least one person would come for help on some assignment. In contrast, the most enjoyable part of the job was the times when I got to see a student(s) learn something new or understand something better as a result of my assistance. – less

About The University of California

The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system – Read more

The University of California Photos