The University of California

The University of California Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
useful experience with students
Italian language assistant, intership (Former Employee), Roma, LAZJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: international environment, getting to know other cultures
Cons: location
Italian conversation classes with American Students.
Classes were based on the differences and similarities between Italians and American, aiming at getting American students improve their knowledege of Italian culture, history and language.
The classes also managed to make students feel more confident about their speaking skills in Italian and their – more... grammar as well. – less
Good team
American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Officer (Former Employee), Merced, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Good experience

Was part of a great team of lovely people.

Worked as an internal representative for UC Merced, dealt with all activities that related to this position.
Fun and productive.
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 14, 2014
Analyzing a large-scale next-generation sequencing data and developing statistical methods.
Great working environment.
Clinical Liaison (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2014
Serves as an advocate for patients beginning during the pre-admissions process and continuing until the patient is discharged until the patient is discharged from the medical facility.
It's great
Computer Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2014
I enjoyed being on the UCLA campus. You can play tennis during your lunch hours and that is amazing :)
Productive and fun place to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 10, 2014
The campus is beautiful, the students are friendly (even the unusually peppy student solicitors on Ring Road), and the courses are challenging. Professors are always willing to assist you and if you maintain good relationships with them, they will help you network and push you on your path to success.
Good academic envitonment, good for temporary position
Jr. Specialist, Biomedical Engineering (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Review published articles, train grad/undergrad students, write experimental protocols
Progressive school; great quality of education
Publicity Officer and Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: very multicultural and progressive school
Cons: heavy study load
This was a rewarding educational experience.
I learned a great deal about leadership; activism and self-determination at this school.
Amazing Learning Environment, Lackluster Dynamic
University Tutor (Former Employee), Merced, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: opportunity to work with great educators and tutors, learning the basics of pedagogy, being in a space where i could practice teaching techniques, some free lunches, seeing students grow
Cons: lack of hours, constant changing of tutoring rooms, length of time waiting for students to attend
I started as a college tutor with the expectation of the most difficult and awarding part of my college experience. I was not mistaken. The class taken to advance to employment was as wondrous as it was draining. In a normal day of tutoring I found myself waiting for a student to drop into the designated tutoring room, which constantly changed, and – more... to either demand help or to meekly ask for advice on a particular writing assignment. I found myself serving a wide clientele ranging from freshman with 3 page papers to juniors in need of help with portfolios to even graduates asking for grammatical help on research proposals. A well-rounded group indeed. Through this work I learned to understand and quickly attend to the needs of a community of writers. Accordingly, I learned to comprehend the notes and prompts given by educators. Both experiences allowing for a better grasp of the the way higher education operates and the expectations therein. As genuine as the management is/was I felt that there was a lack of direction in the overall scheme of things especially as hours were cut and as the quality of tutor dropped when the formerly necessary tutoring class was deemed unnecessary for the work. Besides that the management was very much in-tune with the employees on the whole. My co-workers, for the most part, were amazing, a sound and fun group of people. As a family of tutors we were able to work together in group tutoring sessions and to work out how to aid each other in times of need such as those times when of illness or overwhelming stress. I found that the hardest part of the job was the waiting. Waiting for students in a silent room and hoping that at least one person would come for help on some assignment. In contrast, the most enjoyable part of the job was the times when I got to see a student(s) learn something new or understand something better as a result of my assistance. – less
Awesome Pay & Benefits!
TES - Administrative Assistant I, II, III (Former Employee), Davis, CAJanuary 2, 2014
- Educational Environment
- Several Career Advancement Opportunities
- Hardworking employees
- Ambitious Environment
NA
Programmer Analyst III / IT Manager (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2014
• Design & maintain SQL databases for research studies; write queries, functions, views, stored procedures for data access. Expertly performed database migration from FileMaker to MS SQL.
• Develop and maintain web applications/services in .NET environment for Internet and Intranet sites.
• Design customized applications according to department’s needs.
 – more... Administrate UNIX (Red Hat Linux, UBUNTU)/Windows/Mac servers and maintain department’s network.
• Setup/maintain SENDMAIL, FTP, Apache, IIS, SSL Certificates and Darwin streaming server. Implement server upgrades, maintenance, fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
• Acquired skills to establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with other staff members.
• Directly supervised data entry team and ensured database quality. Worked with researchers/statisticians to generate customized reports. Write programs and scripts to perform calculations and manipulate data formats.
• Successfully cut project cost by implementing open source software. Took charge over procurement processes in dealing with hardware vendors and ensure to acquire the finest hardware (servers) at their optimum value.
• Successfully implemented payment module to receive online transactions.
• Acquired skills to process EEG data using Brain Vision Analyzer and other brain modeling software. Develop applications to represent EEG data on brain maps. – less
A place to learn many aspects: research, play in a team, fun and effective time management
Graduate student researcher (Current Employee), Riverside, CADecember 27, 2013
A typical day starts either with biological experiment or system works related with hardware or software. I had to troubleshoot issues related with hardware and software and had to solve accordingly. As I collaborated in different projects, I tried to plan the schedule ahead of time with effective time management. I spent lot of time with my co-workers – more... in lab as well as outside of lab. We celebrated different occasions with our colleagues and had very fun time. My co-workers were co-operative and helpful.
The hardest part of the job were to troubleshoot different hardware and software issues as for example finding out the source of memory-leak issues in C++ programming during developing the acquisition code was a big challenge. On the other hand, when we found good results, we were very excited as for example when we observed neural activity in a dissected limulus optic nerve by our custom-built electrophysiology and acquisition system for the first time, we were very happy. The most enjoyable part of the lab was to discuss good results in group meeting. – less
Wonderful school. Best education I could have gotten.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Davis, CADecember 23, 2013
Studied entomology here and feel like I couldn't have gotten a better hands on learning experience and better overall education in regards to my major anywhere.
A great place to work if you're in a well managed department
Administrative Assistant 1 (Current Employee), Riverside, CADecember 19, 2013
-Monotonous work, it's the same thing every day
-Challenging during peak season (beginning of each quarter)
-Co-worker relationship is good
-Management could use some updating
Educational Research
Project Coordinator/Researcher (Former Employee), Riverside, CADecember 10, 2013
In this position, I alternated days in the office working on project curricula, data analysis, scheduling, etc. with time in the field supervising classroom researchers, I enjoyed both aspects of the job, especially as it allowed me to incorporate real-time observation into the fabric of the research project. Additional duties included preparing manuscripts – more... and presentations for dissemination in journals and in conferences, and seminars. I discovered a passion for editing and proofing manuscripts and presentations and the collaborative nature of the process. – less
Team projects were run fluidly and efficiently.
Student Assistant (Former Employee), Riverside, CADecember 5, 2013
The office work I did solely always went well with proper guidance and instructions from my superiors.
The team work that co-workers and I had to partake upon was always well guided as well. Every task was given and done accordingly to make everything go as efficient as possible.

It was an amazing work environment in which no confusion took place in – more... regards to work and roles of every individual. – less
Open to Ideas and a stellar entry level experience to scientific research
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Santa Cruz, CADecember 4, 2013
Pros: work any time you want as long as work gets finished
Once a week the principal investigator and their Phd student would run down what we would be investigating. They were excellent to keep pertinent information away from us until later to avoid any bias.

I learned about the settings of a laboratory and how research is discussed and brainstormed.

The most enjoyable part was having our supervisors allow – more... us to postulate our own ideas about the subject. – less
Amazing staff and research possibilities
Junior Research Specialist (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 4, 2013
I would never leave... coworkers, staff, security.. everyone is a burst of excitement and energy. They want you to succeed, it's an environment that any novice researcher would LOVE TO BE IN.

Parking is troublesome. I worked at Parnassus but my parking pass was for Mission Bay because there was a waiting list for Parnassus. If I drove straight to Parnassus, – more... I could save about 45-1 hour of commute time. Luckily, UCSF has free shuttles to go through each campus. – less
Great research opportunities
Assistant Project Scientist (Former Employee), Davis, CANovember 26, 2013
wonderful environment to work in. work in teams that are multicultural and multidiscipline oriented.
Good school
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 24, 2013
Received good training in classes as well as in labs, good diversity in university

About The University of California

The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system – Read more

The University of California Photos