The University of California

The University of California Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good Work/Life Balance
Buyer, University of CA Office of the President (Current Employee), Oakland, CASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: good work/life balance
Cons: no room for advancement and there is rarely any increase in compensation
A great place to work and learn. Great core standards. Excellent benefits. My day consists of supporting my clients in various areas of procurement, from writing and processing contracts to creating Purchase Orders and providing consultation for special projects. There is much support from co-workers and management to achieve your goals. Although there – more... is not much room for advancement and there is rarely any increase in compensation regardless of how many years you have worked there. – less
Work, life, balance
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 4, 2014
Enjoy working at UCSF, my colleagues are great, benefits are wonderful, the only downfall i see is a poor management skills, especially our department. Middle management.
Gained knowledge and laboratory experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 3, 2014
I performed research in the cellular and molecular engineering laboratory under the research of a principal investigator. While here, I learned many basic laboratory procedures such as plasmid miniprep, gel electrophoresis and protein purification.
The intersection of the Technology and Higher Education sectors, in support of students, faculty and staff
Communications Manager (Current Employee), Berkeley, CASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: teaching and learning mission is strong, as is the cultural identity
Cons: approval process is slow.
If you want to work for an organization with a strong mission and commitment to the advancement of ideas, come to UC Berkeley.
Graduate Student Researcher
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 2, 2014
o Fabricate iron oxide nanoparticles by physical vapor deposition (PVD) and study the growth mechanism of pyrite (FeS2) nanoparticles for solar cell application by chemical vapor deposition (CVD)
o Extensive understanding of characterization techniques: SEM, TEM, Raman spectroscopy, XRD, XPS
o Photocatalysis studies on photo-deposited nanoparticles – more... on nanoparticle arrays.
o Oral and poster presentations of research at laboratory meetings and national conferences
o Written articles for publication in scientific journals – less
First year sustainability intern
Sustainability Intern (Current Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 2, 2014
With the recent expansion of the Office of Sustainability at UCR student, student interns were hired to fulfill need metrics about the facilities on campus.
Great culture and great principles
Administrative Computing & Telecommunications (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedules, job security, beautiful campus
Cons: improvements that involve multiple departments can move slowly.
People are really helpful and great to learn from
Very flexible with life work balance
The hardest part is the contention between departments
very bad place to work
Software Engg (Current Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 28, 2014
Their UCOP (office of president) division is one if the worst examples of any govt organization. most of the managers are under qualified and take pride in Berkeley though they all work in IT dept and nothing to do with the research done at Berkeley.

Most of the managers recruit their friends and family and they tend to impost 9-5 pm timings on all – more... employees except for their own people.

one of the worst to work with. you will forget all your skills once you start working here. – less
Always busy and full of excitement
Student Assistant- Office of Research (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 27, 2014
I learned the different actions analyst make when creating proposal and assisting faculty and staff with grant applications. I worked closely with my supervisor who guided me throughout my time there. Besides having secretarial duties, I helped her with special projects, and any other duties that arised.
Environment: SAS/pc and UNIX,Stata, SPSS,1, Excel , Access and PDF document
Senior Statistician (Former Employee), Irvine, CAAugust 23, 2014
• I I start the day before: anything pending at the end of the day takes priority first thing in the morning, after daily am tasks and meeting with my supervisor.
• Then I follow through with the tasks needed to be done that day, as well as anything else that comes up. By the end of the day,
• I make up a to-do list for tomorrow, clean up my desk, and – more... set out the pending things next to my list to tackle them first thing in the morning.
• what you learned management your co-workers :
• I will take three steps to manage (1)
• Give feedback. Explain to my co-worker what I am seeing and experiencing. Describe the impact of his behavior and provide suggestions for how he might change.
• (2)Focus on work, not the person. You need to get the work done despite my peer's style, so don't waste time wishing he would change. Concentrate on completing the work instead.
• (3)Ask for commitment. At the end of a meeting ask everyone (not just the troublemaker) to reiterate what they are going to do and by when. Sometimes peer pressure can keep even the most passive-aggressive person on task.
• the hardest part of the job
• the most enjoyable part of the job, I very enjoy SAS programmer job, it more difficult , I am more exciting. – less
Productive and fun
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 22, 2014
Great palce for college studnts to gain laboratory experience for those looking to go into lab work.
fun and flexible with varieties of research projects
Independent Research Student (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 21, 2014
the projects were done individually under supervision of the PI.
learned to work as a team and individual
Can learn quite a bit but pay and work hours are atrocious
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: lots of things to learn
Cons: pay is low, hours are long, heath insurance is awful.
The quality of life heavily depends on which group you join. But independent of that, pay will be low, hours will be long, and job prospects afterwards will be bad.
Great place to work and learn!
Staff Research Associate II - Laboratory Manager (Former Employee), Davis, CAAugust 20, 2014
Working for and with professors is a great learning experience and allows you to be part of a team where knowledge is shared. The hardest part of the job is parking which is at a premium.
Quiet and fun work environment
Research Assistant Internship (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: holiday parties and great supervisor
Cons: short breaks
Shifts were 5 hours long with a 15 minute break. Supervisor was really fun and responsive. Usually worked alone in a desk with complete access to a computer to obtain information and give a correct and good answer to patrons questions. The hardest part of the job was dealing with uncooperative patron who did not want to follow library policies and rules. – more... However, there were many rewards such as setting up your own schedule and with ability to take days off when there were school emergencies. – less
Individual Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAAugust 19, 2014
 Led discussion groups and coordinated with multiple firms overseas in order to get internship offers during the summer breaks for the college students who spent their summer breaks out of States.
 Negotiated with sponsor firms and college board for funding the club. Funded over $6000 during the first five months. Actively managed the cash disbursements – more... and inflow for the club which over 90 members at that time. – less
University Professor Assistant
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Irvine, CAAugust 19, 2014
Created and administered midterm and final exams
Facilitated and moderated class discussion
Assisted professor with maintenance of classroom
Coordinated classroom media
Graded and recorded all student attendance, papers and exams
Student
Founder and Student Chapter President (Former Employee), Riverside, CAAugust 17, 2014
I love UCR. Psychology major and plenty of opportunities to pursue different career paths.
it was perfect in college
Student Center and Event Services (Current Employee), Irvine, CAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: free food
Cons: wage
works well in college but not room for improving skills. its not beneficial for ones resume when going into an entry level position. this does not provide good experience as much as a paid internship or program/ research would. Little to no room for networking and gaining new relationships within the company. Some event managers work harder than others.
GSR
GSR (Current Employee), Davis, CAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: freedom
Cons: pay
Its a good place to work while you are in school.
Can take classes if you are a student.

About The University of California

The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system – Read more

The University of California Photos