The University of California

The University of California Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good benefits
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee), Irvine, CANovember 16, 2014
Pros: benefits
UC employees benefits package is outstanding. I'm also able to telecommute, which is an advantage since I live 8 hrs away.
Rewarding place to work
Program Evaluator (Current Employee), Davis, CANovember 14, 2014
Depends on where you work. Certain department are more rewarding to work for than others. Certain UC Schools compensate more than others.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Irvine, CANovember 12, 2014
Pros: learn new skills
Cons: no pay
Researching Stem cells in the brain, creating tests for Biological Sciences 93 students, and researching education.
Learn to work well with others. i work directly with the professor and four other students at UCI.
So much to do in so little time but that makes it enjoyable for me and most likely stressful for others.
Good environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Riverside, CANovember 9, 2014
I stayed here for more than four years and learnt a lot of techniques. UCR provides a good environment.
It varies in different departments and with different bosses.
Financial Analyst (Contract), AP/HR (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 7, 2014
The quality of the job heavily depends on the work style of your manager's.
Energetic and exciting work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 5, 2014
On a typical day, we would scan student IDs and hand out bus tickets for their trip back from sporting event. I learned how to manage money, organization, order, and consistency. Environment was always festive making it easy to work with both students and co-workers.
Best Job Ever
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Orange, CANovember 5, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
I am a proud Contracted Employee at UCI. Looking for a full time PERMANENT Position, because I am a 'Quest' Employee, my duty is to float to different clinics and help them 'Go Live' from paper to electronic. I learned how to be adaptable, flexible and great with teamwork. The hardest part of this job is getting comfortable in one clinic and having to leave to another. Overall this job is enjoyable. Ive floated to different sites and Orange is my favorite.
Change and Growth
UCSF Analyst II, Office Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2014
Pros: you learn something new always
Working for UCSF is great for making a difference in the community as well as making a career for life.
A comfortable environment to learn and conduct research
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee), Santa Barbara, CAOctober 31, 2014
A typical day at work: As a part time employee, most days are relaxed with no impending stressors, only positive reinforcement of getting research done for the project to progress.

What was learned: Some skills dealing with Raman spectroscopy and building microfluidic devices were learned.

Management: Truly a pleasure to be around and like to collaborate and conduct team efforts to complete tasks.

Co-workers: All nice people open to collaboration or help if it is needed, yet do not invade your work without permission.

The hardest part of the job: Overcoming obstacles present in all scientific research as well as more specific obstacles due to collaborations.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Being able to conduct work at my own pace yet enjoying it at the same time.
UC Merced was a great learning experience
Analyst (Former Employee), Merced, CAOctober 30, 2014
Pros: amazing experience
Cons: demanding work schedule, typically 60+ hours per week
At UC Merced, I helped run the governmental affairs department. This was a temporary position that I hoped would become permanent. I enjoyed my role, which included acting as a liaison between local, state, and federal politicians, event coordination, and presentation of information to said political offices.
great place to work learn different cultures
Building Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee), 54 Mulford hall Berkeley, CAOctober 27, 2014
Pros: holiday pay
Cons: no overtime pay
A typical work day includes making sure all equipment is operating at capacity and provide necessary security and access to individuals. I have learned how to share interest in researchers work so I can provide them with the best service they need. Working well together with my co-workers to provide a team positive atmosphere. The hardest part of my job is getting the maintenance to perform more efficient. I like most about job is meeting new people and being of service
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Santa Cruz, CAOctober 26, 2014
Awesome EECS department
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Berkeley, CAOctober 25, 2014
What can I say? UC Berkeley's EECS department is one of the top in the country, offering vigorous curriculum
Productive and a lot of room for inovative ideas
(IRB) MEMBER (Current Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at work could range from overseeing a couple of research trials to a day with several deadline for grants and scientific papers. The co-workers were very supportive and respectful. It was a wonderful experience to be part of this huge organization.
Engagin, difficult place to work
Assistant Manager, Sterile Processing (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 13, 2014
UCSF Medical Center is a world renowned hospital with a lot going for it. UCSF does have world class facilities and is on the cutting edge of surgery in all fields.
There are a lot of challenges in the UCSF culture, departments are not left to run themselves and lends itself to a lot of inefficiencies.
Fun school time
Student (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 7, 2014
Learned how to become a biochemist
Learned how to work in lab
Vast university of brilliant minds...
Project Manager (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAOctober 6, 2014
Pros: resources and learning opportunities
Cons: thick bureaucracy
The drawback being that as with any large University, the bureaucratic culture is heavily layered and often frustrating. But if one can rise above it, there are countless opportunities to learn new skills. Even beyond that, UCSF is always at the forefront of medicine and not a day passes without an interesting lecture on the latest advance.
review summary
security (Former Employee), san franciscoOctober 3, 2014
Not recommended for long term law enforcement career but does have its perks.
awesome. super awesome place
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 30, 2014
if you don't like it. then you're opinion is wrong. love this place
Good work environment
Financial Assistant II/ Fund Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 30, 2014
Great benefits, good pay, not much room for advancement though.

About The University of California

The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system – Read more

The University of California Photos