The University of California

The University of California Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bad
Postdoctoral scholar (Former Employee), Irvine, ABNovember 1, 2012
your salary is very low as a PDF... Never be a postdoctoral fellow here. The area is very expensive.
Love my school
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee), Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 23, 2015
I had wonderful experiences working at UC Riverside as well as UC Santa Barbara.
Productiveness
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Cons: no benefits
Working at UCSF has a very diverse working environment, I am working with different people coming from a different background. I learned how to provide a great customer service and to ensure that members are comfortable and happy. The enjoyable part about this job is working with such diverse group of people, not just the general pool area, but coworkers outside of the pool. The hardest part of the job is being on duty while taking care of on-deck management, i.e. chemical check, temperature check, maintaining the deck, head counts, and organizing the pool area.
An exciting academic environment
Privacy Officer (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Many opportunities to learn, grow, contribute
Highly matrix with governance challenges but to be expected
Compliance leaders are committed and passionate
Pleasant Workplace with Responsible Management
Parking Attendant (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: weekends off; relaxed environment
Cons: limited hours
Working at the university's transportation department was both pleasant and rewarding. Daily tasks included handling cash and credit card transactions from customers exiting the medical center parking lots, answering questions regarding locations or directions, and providing excellent customer service to the best of our abilities.. As most of the employees were students, many of the shifts were part-time and did not exceed 20 hours a week. The management was very encouraging and respectful of our class schedules and exams. The hardest part of the job was talking to customers who had received citations for parking in the wrong spots or were just irate in general. These problems could be solved by offering alternative solutions or by simply explaining the situation. The most enjoyable part of the job was its flexible work schedule. Overall, I believe that this job developed my problem-solving and customer service skills.
Work Culture
Technical Trainer III (Current Employee), Berkeley, CAJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: very intellectually stimulating environment; interesting jobs
Very intellectually stimulating environment; fascinating work, easy commute
Good for internship
Dairy Farm Student Assistant Intern (Former Employee), Davis, CAJanuary 16, 2015
UC. Davis is the place that provide good environment to students for studying and learning.
UCSD
Senior Catscan Technologist (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 14, 2015
This was a fun place to work. I would recommend it if you are looking for a fast pace imaging department. The staff is friendly and easy to work with as well. The compensation is well worth any difficult times you may come across
Well-integrated entomology department that promotes interdisciplinary research
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Riverside, CAJanuary 13, 2015
While at UC-Riverside I was struck by the willingness of various faculty to collaborate with both other faculty and with graduate students. The culture fosters creative research and I for one have greatly benefited from my time there.
GOOD
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 12, 2015
A good place to work. I like the culture very much.

Lots of good restaurants around.
A great place to start working
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 6, 2015
I liked the people and the culture of the company. It had given me opportunity to grow and I learned a lot.
typical research department of a university.
Post-Doctoral Researcher (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2015
beautiful location, new labs with plenty of space and on campus resources. good food court for lunch. rent is expensive though.
Teaching Assistant-Appropriate for students.
AT (Current Employee), SBJanuary 3, 2015
Great Learning.
Good money.
Able to manage my hectic graduate work with this job.
A challenging but rewarding environment
Catering Manager (Current Employee), Berkeley, CADecember 23, 2014
Pros: allows for unlimited creativity, excellent benefits, free food
Cons: long hours, phyisically demanding
As the catering manager at Cal there is no set daily routine, but a convergence of finding and making time in a very high paced environment to create an excellent experience for a client. After our sales team makes initial contact and creates a plan for what the client wants we discuss the possibility and feasibility of an event in relation to the needs of an event, the budget of the client, and our ability to maintain excellent service if we have other events going on at the same time. Once an event is in motion my job is to be the face of Cal Catering as the sales team hands it completely to me once an event starts. On the day of an event I must set to work the temporary workers that I schedule as I do not have full-time or part-time workers directly reporting to me. As I am using a temp agencies to fill my workforce I have become very adept at scheduling and making sure they arrive at a reasonable time before or during an event. I must factor in many things when scheduling workers including their limited to 8 hour work schedules and the needs of an event along with the possibility for these workers to not show up, and also making sure labor costs are within the budget parameters. As sometimes the budget and event needs do not match and that as the sole UC Berkeley employee I am very comfortable with stepping in and staying as long as needed to finish a job. In addition I employee temporary workers who might be on their first catering event I am also very good at training and getting a gauge for the strength and weakness of my workforce and doling out responsibilities accordingly. – more... For an event I sometimes have little to no communication with a client. This requires that I must create a good rapport with the client and be able to anticipate their needs and desires and execute in a timely and professional matter. Also, when dealing with events I have the ability to sense the mood of the event or the stress level of a client and with this I do my best to create a memorable experience or to have my services be invisible, but efficiently making the event run smoothly. In any spare time I get I must be able to handle inventory and purchasing as well as helping others within the general residential dining services. The thing I love most about my job is helping others to create an amazing memorable event and helping reduce their stress levels. I also love problem solving and creating novel solutions to issues that randomly arise. This job allows me to be creative with sometimes very limited supplies to do that and it stretches me to be better in all aspects of working with others. – less
Great University
Thesis Master student in Biochemistry (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 17, 2014
Great research-oriented university, with great research experience.
California Dreaming
Research Associate II (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 16, 2014
Pros: people, atmosphere and compensation
Cons: none really
Excellent place to have a job and excellent state to be in. The people are all good and always willing to help and teach.
Balanced and multidisciplinary job as a graduate student
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Davis, CADecember 12, 2014
Pros: free coffee bagel donut day on fridays, health insurance, strong sense of community
Cons: irregular work hours
Working as a graduate student in the Animal Biology graduate group has been ideal for my growth as a researcher. A typical day will consist of taking courses, working in the laboratory, and holding office hours and teaching. The staff and faculty are all very knowledgeable and approachable for advice and mentor-ship. The most difficult part of the job is balancing work, class, teaching, and your personal life as a grad student. I definitely learned how to prioritize and manage deadlines as a student with many responsibilities. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to keep up with the increasing scientific advancements through executing research projects for publications.
Good management of acquiring and cataloging books promotes production greatly
Library Technician (Former Employee), Irvine, CANovember 21, 2014
It is usually smooth in ordering mass books from domestic vendors by following the order vouchers and vendors' software usage. Performing special orders are sometimes challenge, for the requested items mostly rare books or out-of-print books need to be searched world-wide and thus consuming time. However, our manager based on her 20+ years working experience had already set up practical rules for her subordinates to follow and thus to meet the professors and researchers needs by acquiring the needed items in reasonable time.
Pay doesn't align with performance
Administrative Specialist, Human Resources (Current Employee), Oakland, CANovember 20, 2014
Pros:

Flexibility/work-life balance (depending on your department)
Feel good contributing to a worthy mission
The majority of the staff are quality humans

Cons:

Workload has doubled (in some cases, tripled) under the new President with no proportional increase in compensation.

Across the board increases go to poor performers and top performers alike. Work is assigned according to competence leading to the "curse of competence". Poor performers fly beneath the radar while good employees break their back doing other people's work.

No accountability for poor people managers

Antiquated technology which slows everyone down

Support staff are not encouraged to take on stretch assignments because managers are afraid to lose them

Professional development activities are given lip service, but managers don't provide the flexibility needed to participate

We are losing talented staff and succession planning is poor

Work is assigned to existing staff members and stipends are not proportionate to the amount of extra work and responsibility. There is very little recognition of staff who are loyal throughout multiple transitions.

At some point, the mission just isn't enough

Advice to Management:

Match pay with performance. Staff appreciation events and one time STAR awards aren't enough. If workload, responsibility, performance and pay don't line up, the best and the brightest will keep leaving.

Hire from within: help employees understand the path to advancement in the organization.

Stop treating support staff like chattle
A day in the life
Tutor (Current Employee), Santa Cruz, CANovember 19, 2014
I like this job because I get the largest amount of flexibility by setting my own hours. I enjoy teaching out students things that i feel passionate about, which is mathematics and econometrics. My bosses have been in my same position in the past so they understand the struggles of teaching but the reward you feel afterwards. I think this job has made me overall more patient.

1 2 3 4 5

About The University of California

The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system – Read more

The University of California Photos