The University of California

The University of California Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bad
Postdoctoral scholar (Former Employee), Irvine, ABNovember 1, 2012
your salary is very low as a PDF... Never be a postdoctoral fellow here. The area is very expensive.
inspirsing
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 17, 2014
Working in the communication lab help me learn a lot in my research area and help me learn fast.
Make me become competent to accept the challenges
Good place to learn and get experience
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 17, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, benefits, experience
Cons: pay, little to no advancement, very slow approval process, parking
Great place to learn and gain experience. I got to work closely with faculty and graduate students. A typical day involved managing the lab, ordering lab supplies, assist with research projects (lab and field), highly involved with the technical work and lab safety. I also had supervisory responsibilities. Overall, an enjoyable experience and have met – more... lots of great people.

The downside of the job is the pay and pay raises don't happen often. It is very difficult to advance and the approval process is very slow. During the academic year, finding parking is a struggle no matter where you park (on-campus or off-campus). – less
Great place to learn about teamwork
UCSD Dining Hall (Former Employee), La Jolla, CASeptember 17, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting different people every day because each day was a different, with different people by my side at each time. I mostly enjoyed building strong relationships with everyone at the dining hall.
SAA, the best student org on campus
Alumni Relations Student Assistant (Former Employee), Merced, CASeptember 16, 2014
The Student Alumni Association offers so many services and programs for current students and alumni. As a leadership member, you learn essential skills that one might not be afforded an opportunity to until their entry level job.
Typical graduate student work
Teaching Fellow (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 15, 2014
Typical graduate student work. Weekly meeting with adviser. Responsible for teaching varies undergraduate/graduate courses.
Huge campus with many departments offering different jobs and opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: good training, various events and courses to take that are available
Cons: pay is not in line with corporate companies
As an Administrative Assistant III temp, I have worked in 5 different areas during the 2 years I have been in UCSD. All departments have different office cultures, but follow the guidelines provided. I have found there to be a very professional and supportive atmosphere.
Excellent work environment
Principal Electronics Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 11, 2014
Pros: benefits, salary, environment
Cons: parking
Excellent benefits and compensation. Leading edge University that has many fields of interest. Best weather in the world. Only minutes from the beach.
teaching is not rewarding
Associate Professor (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: macromanaged
Cons: unpredictable
The school is experiencing a big change since our dean is on leave.
Bright people, serious but fun work environment
Research Apprentice (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 10, 2014
The people I work with are all past/present UC students who have went through similar experiences. The lab at SFGH is old, but my lab does groundbreaking nutrition research dealing with obesity, diabetes, and the effects of fructose on biochemical pathways.
great experience working at the VA
Research Assistant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 9, 2014
Team was positive and focused. Enjoyed the overall environment.
A great experience in which I gained a lot of customer service and leadership skills.
Security Coordinator (Former Employee), Berkeley, CASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers, lots of personal/leadership development
Cons: no job benefits
A typical day at work here was enjoyable as I had great co-workers and I learned a lot from the people around me. The things I learned were extensive customer service skills, leadership and presentation skills, and multi-tasking skills because I had to juggle this job with my undergraduate education.

The management was very supportive and receptive – more... to any questions or concerns I had about anything pertaining to the job and also helped making going to work a stress relief from school at times.

My co-workers were all also helpful and supportive and I could count on them to help me when I needed it. They were mostly students as well so we all had a very similar experience juggling school work and our jobs.

The hardest part of the job for me was knowing when it was acceptable to stop. I have a tendency towards towards perfection so I would spend lots of my time on the job making sure everything was of an acceptable quality.

The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely interacting with my co-workers as well with my staff and the residential hall community at large. I love meeting and interacting with many different kinds of people and I get satisfaction knowing that my work was positively assuring the safety of the residents of the resident halls. – less
Good Work/Life Balance
Buyer, University of CA Office of the President (Current Employee), Oakland, CASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: good work/life balance
Cons: no room for advancement and there is rarely any increase in compensation
A great place to work and learn. Great core standards. Excellent benefits. My day consists of supporting my clients in various areas of procurement, from writing and processing contracts to creating Purchase Orders and providing consultation for special projects. There is much support from co-workers and management to achieve your goals. Although there – more... is not much room for advancement and there is rarely any increase in compensation regardless of how many years you have worked there. – less
Work, life, balance
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Current Employee), San Francisco, CASeptember 4, 2014
Enjoy working at UCSF, my colleagues are great, benefits are wonderful, the only downfall i see is a poor management skills, especially our department. Middle management.
Gained knowledge and laboratory experience
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 3, 2014
I performed research in the cellular and molecular engineering laboratory under the research of a principal investigator. While here, I learned many basic laboratory procedures such as plasmid miniprep, gel electrophoresis and protein purification.
The intersection of the Technology and Higher Education sectors, in support of students, faculty and staff
Communications Manager (Current Employee), Berkeley, CASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: teaching and learning mission is strong, as is the cultural identity
Cons: approval process is slow.
If you want to work for an organization with a strong mission and commitment to the advancement of ideas, come to UC Berkeley.
Graduate Student Researcher
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 2, 2014
o Fabricate iron oxide nanoparticles by physical vapor deposition (PVD) and study the growth mechanism of pyrite (FeS2) nanoparticles for solar cell application by chemical vapor deposition (CVD)
o Extensive understanding of characterization techniques: SEM, TEM, Raman spectroscopy, XRD, XPS
o Photocatalysis studies on photo-deposited nanoparticles – more... on nanoparticle arrays.
o Oral and poster presentations of research at laboratory meetings and national conferences
o Written articles for publication in scientific journals – less
First year sustainability intern
Sustainability Intern (Current Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 2, 2014
With the recent expansion of the Office of Sustainability at UCR student, student interns were hired to fulfill need metrics about the facilities on campus.
Great culture and great principles
Administrative Computing & Telecommunications (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedules, job security, beautiful campus
Cons: improvements that involve multiple departments can move slowly.
People are really helpful and great to learn from
Very flexible with life work balance
The hardest part is the contention between departments
very bad place to work
Software Engg (Current Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 28, 2014
Their UCOP (office of president) division is one if the worst examples of any govt organization. most of the managers are under qualified and take pride in Berkeley though they all work in IT dept and nothing to do with the research done at Berkeley.

Most of the managers recruit their friends and family and they tend to impost 9-5 pm timings on all – more... employees except for their own people.

one of the worst to work with. you will forget all your skills once you start working here. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About The University of California

The University of California was founded in 1868. Today it is widely considered the pre-eminent public research university system – Read more

The University of California Photos