The TJX Companies, Inc.
1,750 reviews

The TJX Companies, Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
ok
Sales associate, Front end coordinator (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALSeptember 2, 2014
you cant move up in the company fast.everthing is a little dated
Enjoyable place to work but does not pay well.
Coordinator of Misses and Accessories Department (Current Employee), Gibsonia, PASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere and nice coworkers.
Cons: lack of support from management and low wages.
Enjoyable place to work overall, however, doesn't pay much; struggling to pay off my student loans. Majority of employees are in their late teens and haven't developed any work ethic - makes it difficult to get things done. Management does not enforce the rules for the younger employees - been told that the employees do not care and there is not anything – more... I or management can do to change that so I should stop worrying about it. There is not much room for advancement, and even if I do advance, there increase in pay is so minute that it is not worth it. I love being able to merchandise new items from the truck and I love making organized and nice looking displays. Interacting with customers is nice from time to time. I love being busy and always having something to do. – less
Amazing
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Granada Hills, CASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: kindness of staff and customers
Cons: no benefits
There is nothing better than working in a clean retail business with amazing customers.
My best job I ever had
Regional Investigations Manager (Former Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: caring upper management and corporate headquarters
The company organizational structure was an A plus from the top on down.
Good place to work if your in school
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Saint Cloud, MNAugust 31, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no advancement, pay
You get to work all areas of the store, so you are never bored at work. Great people to work with. Management is willing to make your schedule work.
Stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rosedale, NYAugust 31, 2014
I worked in the Layaway department and there's lots of customers. Sometimes i couldn't take a break because no one can cover me. management was very disorganized.
Productive and fun environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fort Smith, ARAugust 31, 2014
Pros: coworkers, flexible hours
Cons: short hours often
I would definitely recommend this place as a first job opportunity. You learn how to think fast. Each day is a new challenge. You have to be fast in this company. Management is great and they do care. They're really flexible and understanding. Overall, it's a great place to work at and grow in.
fun place to shop and meet new people!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), 407 e 59th stAugust 31, 2014
Pros: discounts!
Cons: not enough break time
creative energetic rich fun place i truly enjoyed my time at this company. great people. wonderful management. the most enjoyable part of a day at this job was seeing costumers smiling while leaving truly happy!
Bad Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 30, 2014
Pros: friendly co workers
Cons: management
I like the Job the only downside is the Management team had favorites and they really did not give you some weekends off they said they would but did not. Did more work then what you get payed for.
Fast Paced
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 29, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: poor compensation
Fast paced environment. High customer interaction on a daily basis. I learnt how to multitask efficiently but the hardest part of the job was dealing with irate customers
Busy Environment friendly customers
Cashier (Former Employee), Greenvale, NYAugust 29, 2014
My day at work would always be busy and occupied because i worked in the morning and it was always busy around that time. I've learned how to gain my customers service skills by working in retail. Ill say management was decent and my co-workers were pretty nice, the hardest part of the job was holiday season it would be extremely busy, the most enjoyable – more... part of the job was the clothes. – less
Kind of boring
Cashier/ Associate (Former Employee), Monroe, MIAugust 28, 2014
Long days, I learned how to process transactions of all types, management was right on things, coworkers were fun. Hardest part was lifting really heavy stuff to move it. I enjoyed it there.
TJ Maxx of Rome
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee), Rome, GAAugust 28, 2014
Work schedule is flexible.
It is a learning experience to deal with customers and issues.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed.
Very good experience for first time working in retail.
T.J Maxx
Home Dept./Customer Experience Coordinator (Former Employee), Auburn, MEAugust 27, 2014
Pros: family feel
Cons: pay scale. communication
Good company to start a career in retail. Motivation is good and peers are like family. The pay for a coordinator is not worth the stress that comes with it though.
Very fun workplace
Cashier & Sales Associate (Former Employee), Rogers, ARAugust 27, 2014
Pros: only part time job
Cons: healthcare
Worked at TJ Maxx for almost three years. Worked with people all day that was my favorite part I love working with customer service and making customer happy.
Lots of opportunity, if you can play the game
Associate Planner (Former Employee), Framingham, MAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: training and development, flexible schedule
Cons: inconsistency between departments, gossip, culture
Working in planning has been a double-edged sword. Depending on the team dynamics of the group you are working with at any time, your experience could be an absolute pleasure or total nightmare.

The company's "open door policy" allows associates at any level to provide and receive feedback or discuss issues or developmental needs with their managers – more... and fellow associates at any time. Unfortunately, because the office environment is also very open, privacy can be difficult, and often times associates and/or management will gather in the halls or cubicles to whisper. This behavior, though potentially done so for the sake of confidentiality, actually is more of a distraction to the workplace, and at times instills a sense of paranoia within a department.

The company's "working in the gray" mantra is also a key element of the company culture, particularly in planning. Unfortunately, this also gives managers the ability to place blame on associates for completing tasks or strategizing in a way that is different from theirs by telling them they could have performed their work in a different way than it had been. Though this mindset claims "there's no wrong way of looking at something," often times you are being told you are wrong simply because when you're working in the gray, there really isn't a "right" way to do anything at all.

Lastly, the overall sense of ego within the company made it difficult to remain focused on my development. You will be constantly pushed to prove "how bad you want it." Just saying you want to work here and be a buyer isn't enough. Several times people have almost cannibalized their team by bending the truth, gossiping or even lying about other associates. It's quite dispicable.

Overall my experience at TJX was mixed, and it all depended on who I was working with at the time. People are the company's biggest asset and the biggest challenge; unfortunately once you become a buyer, bad behavior is rewarded, and things like "open door policy," open and honest feedback, and working in the gray go out the window to satisfy the egos of the folks that so many of the associates in planing aspire to become. If you can grit your teeth and hang on, best of luck. If you're a mature human being who knows what a corporate job could be like, I'd move on. – less
Pretty good work place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 27, 2014
Pros: getting paid week
Cons: bending
Pretty good the hardest part was the constant bending of picking up clothes off the floor. Co-workers were very friendly.
I enjoyed getting paid every week.
Productive and fast pace environment
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Sherman, TXAugust 27, 2014
Pros: half hour lunch
Cons: no breaks
Very busy, staying positive and smiling. Greeting parents, staff, and administrative. Staying motivated and positive by assisting students with their classwork and being on time to class.
fun workplace! TJ Maxx
Student worker (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 25, 2014
Pros: clean, customers were friendly.
Cons: short breaks, it was hot
I always came in on time, and got straight to work. I have learned that you have to be fast paced and get everything done as soon as possible. You can't take forever on one task, you would have to be able to multitask. The manager was very sweet and the co workers were nice and helpful. There wasn't anything hard about it, you just get it done. The – more... most enjoyable part of the job was working with good people and helping the customers. – less
tj maxx dublin
Cashier (Former Employee), Dublin, DAugust 25, 2014
great store great managers great people overall great place to work if your young and dont need too much money just for gas and that type of stuff just skating by going to college and such.

About The TJX Companies, Inc.

The TJX Companies, Inc. (TJX) is an off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the United States and worldwide. TJX operates – Read more