The TJX Companies, Inc.
1,693 reviews

The TJX Companies, Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Lots of opportunity, if you can play the game
Associate Planner (Former Employee), Framingham, MAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: training and development, flexible schedule
Cons: inconsistency between departments, gossip, culture
Working in planning has been a double-edged sword. Depending on the team dynamics of the group you are working with at any time, your experience could be an absolute pleasure or total nightmare.

The company's "open door policy" allows associates at any level to provide and receive feedback or discuss issues or developmental needs with their managers – more... and fellow associates at any time. Unfortunately, because the office environment is also very open, privacy can be difficult, and often times associates and/or management will gather in the halls or cubicles to whisper. This behavior, though potentially done so for the sake of confidentiality, actually is more of a distraction to the workplace, and at times instills a sense of paranoia within a department.

The company's "working in the gray" mantra is also a key element of the company culture, particularly in planning. Unfortunately, this also gives managers the ability to place blame on associates for completing tasks or strategizing in a way that is different from theirs by telling them they could have performed their work in a different way than it had been. Though this mindset claims "there's no wrong way of looking at something," often times you are being told you are wrong simply because when you're working in the gray, there really isn't a "right" way to do anything at all.

Lastly, the overall sense of ego within the company made it difficult to remain focused on my development. You will be constantly pushed to prove "how bad you want it." Just saying you want to work here and be a buyer isn't enough. Several times people have almost cannibalized their team by bending the truth, gossiping or even lying about other associates. It's quite dispicable.

Overall my experience at TJX was mixed, and it all depended on who I was working with at the time. People are the company's biggest asset and the biggest challenge; unfortunately once you become a buyer, bad behavior is rewarded, and things like "open door policy," open and honest feedback, and working in the gray go out the window to satisfy the egos of the folks that so many of the associates in planing aspire to become. If you can grit your teeth and hang on, best of luck. If you're a mature human being who knows what a corporate job could be like, I'd move on. – less
Pretty good work place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 27, 2014
Pros: getting paid week
Cons: bending
Pretty good the hardest part was the constant bending of picking up clothes off the floor. Co-workers were very friendly.
I enjoyed getting paid every week.
Productive and fast pace environment
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Sherman, TXAugust 27, 2014
Pros: half hour lunch
Cons: no breaks
Very busy, staying positive and smiling. Greeting parents, staff, and administrative. Staying motivated and positive by assisting students with their classwork and being on time to class.
Great company to work for.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Elmira, NYAugust 24, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: late hours
Being a high school student with a busy academic schedule they were always willing to give me time off for educational activities. I enjoyed interacting with customers. It was a positive and fun work atmosphere.
cool job
Sales/ Cashier (Current Employee), Staten Island, NYAugust 22, 2014
Pros: good staff close to home and the hrs are reasonable
Cons: would like little more money
I work with the customers and the register daily. through out the day we clean the store and at night too. everyone is a team player so that we all get along everyone friendly staff too. the most enjoyable part of the day is that I talk to all the customers and intract
High School
Front End Coordinator (Current Employee), Mount Vernon, NYAugust 21, 2014
Pros: working with some good people
Cons: no team workers
A typical day at TJ Maxx is very different some days it could be very busy other days its very hectic. I learned that you have to hold your mouth when it comes to some customers. My coworkers and I have become really close. The hardest part of the job is dealing with immature employees and dealing with issues with management. The most enjoyable moments – more... would be the laughs with my co-workers. – less
Long ago
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Mishawaka, INAugust 20, 2014
I worked at TJ Maxx a long time ago but it was ok. A very messy store, I think I spent most of my days cleaning up merchandise.
Worked at customer Service
Supervisor (Former Employee), NYAugust 20, 2014
Working days were little challenging, but enjoyed working with different type of customers.
Tj maxx is an great place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), battle creek, MIAugust 19, 2014
Pros: customers daily
Cons: short breaks
I love working at Tj maxx. A typical day at work is exciting because you meet new people everyday. I've learn customer service and how to use the cash register. I've learned being late and calling gin isn't okay. I get along with all of my managers. Management treats everyone equal. Everyone has co workers that they don't care for, but its work, treat – more... them with respect still. The hardest part of the job is making sure everyone is happy, and I enjoy laughing and talking to everyone. – less
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jonesboro, ARAugust 19, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: management
loved my co workers
no advancements
you worked a lot of hours but when u get your check its doesn't look like it
It is always changing.
Coordinator/Supervisor (Current Employee), Bastrop, TXAugust 19, 2014
A typical day at work is making sure customers are taken care of and associate concerns are met. I learned that some associates are hands on learners. By coaching them hands on it will help them learn the process faster and make sure procedures are done accurately. Management is great. If anyone has a concern or complaint management takes care of it – more... in a professional manner. My co-workers are a breath of fresh air. We are able to come into work and talk about our concerns and communicate with respect. The hardest part of the job is making sure associates are on the same page and aware of what is going on in the store. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I can come into work and have the best team of workers I can depend on. – less
boring job not challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Staten Island, NYAugust 19, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
boring job not challenging, no chance to move up terrible pay and bad co workers
easy going managers and work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Columbus, MSAugust 19, 2014
I loved working at TJ Maxx, nothing negative to say about the people I worked with or the company, it was my first job and they gave me an oppurtunity to learn what I needed to know dealing with retail, they treated me equal and worked with my school hours.
Very productive workplace
Loss Prevention Supervisor (Former Employee), Norwell, MAAugust 19, 2014
I loved working for the TJX Companies, INC. I learned so much from this job. This was my first supervisor position for Loss Prevention and I was responsible for my own store. Management was great and there was always a steady flow of communication.
review of the job
Customer Expierence Coordinator (Former Employee), Flowood, MSAugust 18, 2014
Pros: good pay
Typical day at TJ Maxx was making sure all customers had good customers service, making sure all cashiers were following TJ Maxx procedures, making sure everyone had everything they needed for cash registers, making sure breaks where assign and they took them at the assigned time, make sure recovery was done though out the day, make sure mark downs – more... where getting done, and make sure on truck days everything got put out where the customers could by the merchandise. We had a very good management team that was always there if u had a question. – less
Focuses on employee development and relations
Supervisor (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 17, 2014
Can be stressful environment depending upon department and management. Daily focus is always on developing the employees and management staff.
TJX Maxx Distribution Center
Associate (Former Employee), Evansville, INAugust 17, 2014
Organized product selection and sorting
Managed ticketing and packaging in a desirable time frame
Demonstrated strength and stamina though inventory lifting
Mostly typical retail experience
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Lombard, ILAugust 16, 2014
The usual mix of cranky managers mixed with the occasional "leader" who is a go-to person. The associates are above average and generally work together.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Longview, TXAugust 15, 2014
Pros: 10 percent of merchandise
Cons: 15 min break
It was slow
The place was nasty
Co-workers were mean
the hardest part was Inventory the place was huge
A great first job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Farmington Hills, MIAugust 14, 2014
Once I would punch in I would go straight to the register and start ringing up customers. It's nice to greet customers and them smile at you back. I got along great with my co-workers and never had any issues with the job.

About The TJX Companies, Inc.

The TJX Companies, Inc. (TJX) is an off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the United States and worldwide. TJX operates – Read more