The Suburban Newspaper Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
positive working environment and great company/client parties
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 January 2017
Calls and emails to prospects and clients
proofing ads
management would accompany me to very large clients once in a while.
Co-workers would talk to me about how they opened up new accounts
hardest part was not being able to prospect accounts since they were outside of my territory
loved when a client increased their advertising budget by 50%
Work from home for a newspaper that really helps the community and fun working enviroment
contributor (Former Employee) –  montreal qc22 September 2015
A great team of reporters and editor
The writers really care about the work they do and the people they try to help.

The pay is minimum and there is no advancement career wise.
If you are looking to make big money and get health benefits this is not the place for you.
There are no full-time positions
It is a great way to make extra income on the side. If you care more about the cause than the pay then you will be content.
You can work from home.

Payment is by invoice--once a month.
Accounting department does forget to issue checks sometimes and more than a few contributors have quit because they were never paid.
Pros
You get to have published news stories
Cons
poor pay and no benefits
Interesting place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 September 2014
When I was hired at The Suburban, I was the second sales assistant in the office. The other assistant and I each had our own reps we helped out. When she left, mainly due to problems with one of her reps, I pretty much assisted everyone since no assistant hired staid for very long.

Everyone had the same deadlines, no naturally reps all really needed my help at the same time. I was good at multi-tasking, but it was often hard to keep everyone happy when they all needed something done right away. I am just one person after all. I did my best to prioritise and for the most part felt accomplished.

As busy as it could be in the office, there were often times of complete boredom while waiting for clients to submit material, production to send me proofs for approval... during those times, I tried to keep busy by helping accounting, doing reception work, data entry, even doing things like photocopies, but some days were very long and I need to be productive.

I did have issues with one particular rep who never gave clear instructions or failed to hand stuff in when she said she did etc. She often requested my help at the last minute, when I was in the middle of finishing something for another rep, and did not like it when I could not always stop everything I was doing to do something for her right away. It was difficult to keep track of what had been done for her clients when I was managing everyone else's things. Despite the fact that everyone showed their appreciation for what I did for them, all this particular rep ever did was yell at me, blame me for her mistakes,
  more... and complain about me. I eventually could no longer work with her, and since she was best friends with the owner's wife I was forced to leave the company. I was told that other assistants before me left because of her too.

All my reps as well as other coworkers I helped out when things were slow on my end were sad to see me go and said I could use them as references. Clients were also sad to see me go. I was told I gave good customer service and was always patient.
Pros
Free tickets to movies, shows, recreational parks
Cons
psychological harasement by one rep was not taken seriously

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Suburban Newspaper. Our community is ready to answer.

The Suburban Newspaper Reviews by Location