The Source Employee Reviews

management
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 November 2015
Conflict of interests from higher management has never been dealt with appropriately. All associates in the store are treated as replaceable if any personal Inquiries are made.
Good Place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  sault ste marie18 March 2015
The source offers a large amount of training and benefits. there is room for advancement. i started as a sales rep and moved up to manager within 2 years.
Pros
good working environment, newest gadgets
Cons
disgruntled customers.
Over the top sales pressure. Non realistic goals.
Manager/Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario4 March 2013
I leArned alot at the source. Everything I know of technology I have pretty much learned from there. I love my co workers. Upper management is not even close to good. I have come to realize that the customer oriented values the source had has vanished. It's all about BELL sales. I actually don't blame the source fr this. And we do make more money, well the big stores do, but for the little guys they are struggling. And when sales goals aren't met, all of a sudden, that manager is gone. No second chance or training. We are disposable.
It's unfortunate that the source has gone great lengths to create such a good customer valued company just to have bell swoop in and change It all.
Pros
small bonuses, contests(which are usually fair, 60% of the time)
Cons
pressure to preform, change n management too frequently
Fun place to work but management did not act like management at all.
Sales Associate-Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON20 January 2014
- a typical day we would help customers, enter sales, answer phone calls, put shipment away.
- I learned about bell products as well as new computer programs that will help me.
- I found the management wasn't really management to every employer, would also do things most managers wouldn't do or allow things that shouldn't be aloud to be done on the sales floor.
- Young, except for the two full-time employees who have been there for years.
- Trying to sell bell internet or home phone or even bell products, just very pricey especially for young people who can get say Koodo for half the price.
- Working with people, meeting new faces and have experience to take with me wherever I go. I also love working with technology, seeing new products come out was exciting.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
Not being recgonized for doing well
Terrible management and uneducated staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove13 December 2012
The Source pressures all employees to increase Bell sales everyday, these goals are unrealistic. Training is not closely monitored and when I was employed there I took on many jobs that should have been handled by the manager and I was only a sales associate. From the locations I have been too it seems that employees are too caught up with their own cell phones to be selling more. The "spiffs" earned by employees are a reward kind of thing and often create unhealthy competition between employees. On a daily basis the average customer comes in asking for advice on cables, software, batteries and just general techonlogical inquiries. The training to answer many of these questions is not provided.
Pros
spiffs, employee discounts
Cons
bad management, must get customers signing contracts, lack of training, unreasonable sales pressure
a fun place to work at with all access to new technologies
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 July 2012
The job is very satisfactory for the most part od the day
There are times when there are almost no customers in the store ,but there is enough to do even in the nonselling time , like inventory management, pricing,stocking etc.this job has teached me manage my time in a better and efficient way and being responsible for some major management responsibilities has also been very motivating.the work environment is very competetive and yet friendly . The job becomes hard when there is not too much to do in tge store but to wait for the customers to come but it becomes very enjoyable once the customer appreciates your knowledge and help and leaves the store satisfied.
Pros
spiffs and commission
Cons
saturation in the market
Great management at the St. Albert location, nice working conditions
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 May 2015
I worked with several friends as sales associates which helped to create a family type working environment. Management was friendly and always on the ball. Great job for sharpening social skills, especially when approaching strangers. Probably met and conversed with every type of person in my time there. Competition for sales kept things interesting.
Pros
Great working environment in general
Cons
Difficult sales expectations
Garbage, poorly-managed Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough14 January 2015
This company is the worst. If you think you're starting to work at the Source to sell electronics and to help customers to benifit their needs, think again. The Source is nothing about electronics and all about cellphones. You might as well work in a Bell store.

Here's a rundown of the Source.

1. Management.

Management here is atrocious. Managers spend 90% of their time in the back room, just lounging and barking at whether you sold a cellphone yet. The worst part is they will literally give you 1 shift a week if you didn't sell cellphones for a few days. Managers will delegate a lot of tasks for you when it's meant for them, while they will push for cellphone sales themselves. You will be tasked with cleaning, price-tagging, shipping and recieving, warranty knowledge, and tech support while trying to sell cellphones on top of all those duties. Management in the Source has this bizarre notion that cellphones run 100% of the company, and every customer should be converted to horrid Bell/Virgin mobile plans. Managers also don't care why you didn't sell that day, as they just care about numbers. This company will be run to the ground in a few years due to a few shortsighted people who don't know anything about managing.

2. Work atmosphere.

This really depends on which store you're located at. If you're in a high traffic big store, the atmosphere is always tense. Not only the upper managment literally expects you to convert every single customer to a Bell or Virgin Mobile user, you were expected to push push push push for a cellphone at every customer. As a result,
  more... there will be tensions between coworkers on grabbing sales form each other.

3. Job advancement/ Recognition.

Absolutely no recognition in this company. Upper management doesn't care if you sold 200 phones in the last week. If you fail to sell one today, you don't get much shifts for the next week. There is absolutely no room for job advancement as the managers are already either been there forever or are directly hired into the company.

4. Salary

I guess as a retail job, you can only expect so much in salary and pay. You get paid minimum wage plus a few comissions on cellphones and warranties. If you're not good at selling, you will literally only get minimum wage while expected to do managerial duties. Constantly you will get threatened by management to be fired if you don't sell enough, which is ridiculous.
The only good things i have to say about the Source are my co-workers. Most of the time, they're really your only source of fun while working. Getting along with co-workers is especially important in a cut-throat working environment such as this. You also learn quite a lot about different products and how they work, plus also how cellphones are activated.

In conclusion, don't work for this company. It will save you a lot of headaches
Pros
Coworkers, product knowledge
Cons
Management. pay, work environment.
Excellent Sales Skills Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stouffville, ON25 October 2012
Opening tills, greeting/assisting customers, offering sales, opening communications towards sales of wireless service, closing sales, cleaning store, stocking shelves, pricing product, closing tills, cash count, closing store.

I've gained great customer service experience and sales skills. Manager quickly trained me into the role of sales associate and brought my sales statistics into the top 20 of the region within my first month.

Commission incentives made atmosphere occasionally competitive, but otherwise friendly and teamwork based at tasks around the store.
Pros
customer sales/services expierence
Cons
hours frequently until store close
The Source
Asst Manager (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 June 2012
A day at the source consisted of helping customers with anything from a small fuse to entire entertainment systems, wall mounting and family plans for cell phones.

I came away from that job with a lot more imformation then i could place here.

Management both in store and head office were amazingly helpful and gave all the training possible to people who wanted it and deserved it.

I don't feel any part of the job was hard for me. I enjoyed everything i did and pushed to be better at it.

I think the most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers with cell phone plans and teaching them everything they needed to know about tv's ..etc
Pros
very enjoyable company to work with all around
Was a fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2016
had tons of fun learning how to activate cellphones, talking with customers. and having it at a mall location made it really fun working there during the Winter season
Pros
the discount
Cons
was often a quite store
Fast-paced environment with an always changing product market.
Sales Associate/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON13 May 2014
A typical day for me consists of arriving early, doing daily communication and inventory management routines, then opening the doors to the public. In electronics there is always something new, but especially with The Source's focus on cellular service and wireless devices, the change comes that much faster. I learned to keep on top of all the news in my field of business not just our own. Always checking competitors offers to see where we stand and where our advantage is was key to closing the sale. Although I have never help an official management position I have performed managerial tasks for a majority of my time with The Source. My experience and drive lead my managers to leave me in charge of store operations during their absence for conferences held throughout the year. I enjoy the various competitions held internally to drive us to better sales goals, as well as the built in reward program for those who can perform well.
The best job I've ever had
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood park9 January 2016
I have no idea why I left this job. It was the best job as far as any kind of motivation, training, support in and out of work. The mentors they place you with are knowledgeable, respectful and kind. Everyone who I've ever encountered in this job is 100% amazing! If I could go back I would go back in a flash.
Great job, great customers, poor company choices.
Sales Associate/Wireless Expert/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS2 August 2013
I worked at The Source for several years, enjoyed the job and it's challenges, loved the customers, some managers were amazing, some horrid, over all the companies direction over the last few year's, especially since being bought by Bell, have gone down hill.
Depending on your manager, whether they want to run their store as a business, or just somewhere for them to hide away and draw a pay will entirely change your experience when working for this company.
Pros
Great comissions and discounts on services.
Cons
Poor management at times, head office making poor decisions.
Horrible Management, Horrible costumer service, STAY AWAY
Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Manger (Former Employee) –  St catharines8 April 2015
If you LOVE being taken advantage of for minimum wage and LOVE shoving cell phone sales down costumers throats for pennies, then The Source is the place for you!!

I worked for The Source for over 6 months. Within my first month I was 2nd in command. They hired me telling me I would receive full time, then told me no one is hired on full time, that I MAY get full time hours but my title will always be part-time, which prevents you from ever getting full benefits. But they make sure and give you enough hours where you need to be totally devoted to them leaving you no time for finding a second job let alone school or family.

Over the next three months, my check was shorted on numerous occasions, my "spiffs" (commission) was inaccurate and I realized, that even though I work for "The Source" at the end of the day, the company is still owned by BELL, which explains a lot.

Near the end of my three months my manager was fired, and my location was being closed down with NO notice to anyone, no notice to staff and NO notice to costumers, literally at the end of a shift they came in and said that our doors were closed for business permanently. They made me manager of that location so I could handle the closing procedures. They left me with ZERO staff and ZERO assistance in closing the stores.

I had worked for the company for under 3 months and was being left alone to pack and ship out 100's of thousands of dollars of product throughout the district and to head office. Take down displays, climbing 20ft ladders by myself, taking apart the POSs, EVERYHTING. I asked my district
  more... manager for help and he came for 2 hours one day of the three weeks I was there. I continued in hopes they would make me full time, or a manager in training at the new location I would be sent too,but more empty promises and no recognition for anything.

I continued at the new location for a few more months where they hired a barista as a manager in training and when he told me my pants were to small in all the right places, I gave my 2 weeks and QUIT. It was the greatest feeling of all time. I still have the keys to the store I closed because of they're stupidity and unprofessionalism.

STAY AWAY!!!!!
Pros
zero pros
Cons
underpaid, horrible management, unprofessionalism, ZERO costumer serice
Fun and supportive work enviroment
Online Product Specialist/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON5 March 2013
I enjoy the challenge of a fast paced work enviroment. On a daily basis I am involved in providing customer service solutions on varied subjects. They range from, customer inquiries with concerns to their orders to resolution and, recommending the right products for their individual needs.
Pros
great team spirit, management support
Cons
increased workload due to, relatively small number of employees in my department because of budget and available office space
The Worst of Bell
Cellular Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC29 June 2015
The manager made excessive bad decisions, made daily miscommunication, had a bad memory, contradicted himself constantly, and did not have the store running to company standard which finally got corrected by the manager that replaced him. Beyond all that, it is commission-based and creates resentment when there is not enough traffic into the store, the priority is selling, not getting customers what is best for them, but getting them whatever Bell wants to shove out the door on them. I do not recommend this company to anyone unless they are aggressive and like forcing things on people for their own benefit, which will be rewarded by superiors who feed that mentality at the higher levels, and they do not provide the tools to be effective at giving them the sales they demand of you. Pass and go for Best Buy if you have a soul.
Pros
good shifts hours, convenient location
Cons
everything else you can imagine, inappropriate selling techniques, lack of ethics
Life working at The Source
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON6 October 2015
The Source was a great place I did co-op at. I learned how to deal with customers, and co-workers. At first, I was not comfortable talking with public but after working at The Source I feel a lot more comfortable dealing with public. Many new people come at The Source to buy different items, and I would easily be able to help them. It was a great experience working at The Source as I learned how to organize, manage and run a store.
Pros
Free time
Cons
Worked for a limited time
fast paced environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2015
working at food chain store or pharmacy involved operating cash registers, stocking, managing cash, continues interaction with customers and co-workers for a better and quality customer service. scanning product, find the right products codes if missing by communicating with other co-workers at different department.
Pros
fair break hour
Great workplace
Store Manager (Tier A) (Former Employee) –  ontario5 August 2014
* Fun atmosphere
* competitive
* love merchandising, and helping people build solutions
Benefits