The Source Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Not a bad place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Sault Ste. Marie, ONMay 18, 2015
The people and skills you learn better improve yourself. the only downside was the people who you help are not very polite
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: great pay and commision and competitive work environment
Cons: changes in management
The source taught me a lot about management and customer service. Most of the time I spent the day managing the store on my own and solving problems for customers. It was a commissioned based job and there were goals and quotas that the employees had to reach as a team and as individuals. It was highly competitive but also had a great team aspect to it. The hardest part was feeling like I was pressuring customers into purchasing more, and that the manager didn't hire enough employees so no one could cover anyone's shifts in case of emergencies.
Key Holder (Former Employee), Orangeville ontApril 16, 2015
Working at the Source was a eye opener to the technology world it was my first job in that field and with the training provided and the goals achieved it has opened up endless oppourtunitys for me
Terminated for no reason
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 16, 2015
Pros: cool gadgets
Did an objectively good job, but was terminated and specifically told it was without cause, just so they could bring in a friend over from another district. this issue lies specifically with the current DM, but as a company, the general morale isn't great either.
Relaxed but goal-oriented work environment
Sales (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2015
The priorities of the source are:
Cell phones sales
Home service sales
Customer Service
Company culture (keeping presentable)
Fun place to work but management did not act like management at all.
Sales Associate-Seasonal (Former Employee), Brockville, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: meeting new people.
Cons: not being recgonized for doing well
- a typical day we would help customers, enter sales, answer phone calls, put shipment away.
- I learned about bell products as well as new computer programs that will help me.
- I found the management wasn't really management to every employer, would also do things most managers wouldn't do or allow things that shouldn't be aloud to be done on the sales floor.
- Young, except for the two full-time employees who have been there for years.
- Trying to sell bell internet or home phone or even bell products, just very pricey especially for young people who can get say Koodo for half the price.
- Working with people, meeting new faces and have experience to take with me wherever I go. I also love working with technology, seeing new products come out was exciting.
Poor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 23, 2015
I didn't really enjoy this job because the manager had no idea on how to run the store and handle difficult situations and assist on sales.
I'd say and so does the General Manager of The Source that I had way more experience and knowledge about the store than I did.
Fast-paced environment with an always changing product market.
Sales Associate/Shift Leader (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 13, 2014
A typical day for me consists of arriving early, doing daily communication and inventory management routines, then opening the doors to the public. In electronics there is always something new, but especially with The Source's focus on cellular service and wireless devices, the change comes that much faster. I learned to keep on top of all the news in my field of business not just our own. Always checking competitors offers to see where we stand and where our advantage is was key to closing the sale. Although I have never help an official management position I have performed managerial tasks for a majority of my time with The Source. My experience and drive lead my managers to leave me in charge of store operations during their absence for conferences held throughout the year. I enjoy the various competitions held internally to drive us to better sales goals, as well as the built in reward program for those who can perform well.
Over the top sales pressure. Non realistic goals.
Manager/Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee), OntarioMarch 4, 2013
Pros: small bonuses, contests(which are usually fair, 60% of the time)
Cons: pressure to preform, change n management too frequently
I leArned alot at the source. Everything I know of technology I have pretty much learned from there. I love my co workers. Upper management is not even close to good. I have come to realize that the customer oriented values the source had has vanished. It's all about BELL sales. I actually don't blame the source fr this. And we do make more money, well the big stores do, but for the little guys they are struggling. And when sales goals aren't met, all of a sudden, that manager is gone. No second chance or training. We are disposable.
It's unfortunate that the source has gone great lengths to create such a good customer valued company just to have bell swoop in and change It all.
Terrible management and uneducated staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Spruce GroveDecember 13, 2012
Pros: spiffs, employee discounts
Cons: bad management, must get customers signing contracts, lack of training, unreasonable sales pressure
The Source pressures all employees to increase Bell sales everyday, these goals are unrealistic. Training is not closely monitored and when I was employed there I took on many jobs that should have been handled by the manager and I was only a sales associate. From the locations I have been too it seems that employees are too caught up with their own cell phones to be selling more. The "spiffs" earned by employees are a reward kind of thing and often create unhealthy competition between employees. On a daily basis the average customer comes in asking for advice on cables, software, batteries and just general techonlogical inquiries. The training to answer many of these questions is not provided.
a fun place to work at with all access to new technologies
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 9, 2012
Pros: spiffs and commission
Cons: saturation in the market
The job is very satisfactory for the most part od the day
There are times when there are almost no customers in the store ,but there is enough to do even in the nonselling time , like inventory management, pricing,stocking etc.this job has teached me manage my time in a better and efficient way and being responsible for some major management responsibilities has also been very motivating.the work environment is very competetive and yet friendly . The job becomes hard when there is not too much to do in tge store but to wait for the customers to come but it becomes very enjoyable once the customer appreciates your knowledge and help and leaves the store satisfied.
If you can avoid working here you'll be a happier person
Sales associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2014
Where to start? You being working there excited for the opportunity to work with people and help customers and are told that you're there to provide the best experience for the customer. But you quickly learn that you are actually there to provide the most frustrating and annoying experience for customers. You are given almost no training on the technical aspects of many of the items in the store and are taught exclusively about cell phone plans and to a lesser degree TV and internet plans. When a customer walks in you are to greet them, find out what they want and then try for all you can to convert the conversation to cell phones or any service you can sell to them. Just came in for batteries? How about a cell phone? Looking for a toy for a 4 year old? Let me ask you about your cell phone. I was also expected to clean, stock, schedule, organize inventory, open/close the store, memorize continually changing service deals and promotions all for minimum wage. And of course none of these extra duties should have an effect on your sales according to the management who continually come down on you on everything. Seriously, if you can avoid working for this company you will be a happier and better person for it.
Fun workplace!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: I work to much
The best part of my job is my co-workers and my customers. They make everyday fun. The hardest part of my job is the amount of hours I work.
Asst Manager (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABJune 30, 2012
Pros: very enjoyable company to work with all around
A day at the source consisted of helping customers with anything from a small fuse to entire entertainment systems, wall mounting and family plans for cell phones.

I came away from that job with a lot more imformation then i could place here.

Management both in store and head office were amazingly helpful and gave all the training possible to people who wanted it and deserved it.

I don't feel any part of the job was hard for me. I enjoyed everything i did and pushed to be better at it.

I think the most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers with cell phone plans and teaching them everything they needed to know about tv's ..etc
Great job, great customers, poor company choices.
Sales Associate/Wireless Expert/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New Minas, NSAugust 2, 2013
Pros: great comissions and discounts on services.
Cons: poor management at times, head office making poor decisions.
I worked at The Source for several years, enjoyed the job and it's challenges, loved the customers, some managers were amazing, some horrid, over all the companies direction over the last few year's, especially since being bought by Bell, have gone down hill.
Depending on your manager, whether they want to run their store as a business, or just somewhere for them to hide away and draw a pay will entirely change your experience when working for this company.
Gave me confidence
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: commission based environment.
Working at the Source gave me the confidence to speak to customers in a clear and concise manner. On a typical day, I was encouraged to inquire with each customer about who their cell phone service provider is, and try to offer them additional options.
Productive and fun work place environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
cash out customers
wireless phone, internet, cable & home phone ( BRS ) knowledge
staff is great, everyone helps out & co operates with one another
Excellent Sales Skills Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Stouffville, ONOctober 25, 2012
Pros: customer sales/services expierence
Cons: hours frequently until store close
Opening tills, greeting/assisting customers, offering sales, opening communications towards sales of wireless service, closing sales, cleaning store, stocking shelves, pricing product, closing tills, cash count, closing store.

I've gained great customer service experience and sales skills. Manager quickly trained me into the role of sales associate and brought my sales statistics into the top 20 of the region within my first month.

Commission incentives made atmosphere occasionally competitive, but otherwise friendly and teamwork based at tasks around the store.
Good work experience
Retail merchandiser (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 6, 2015
had a lot of fun, learned valuable skills. Learning how to price was difficult at first. Great co-workers. Feel comfortable working in face paced areas.
Very fast paced and stressful
staff (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: bonus', spiffs, commission
Cons: stressful environment
Overall store managers are great to work for, however, there is a lot of pressure to produce good sales numbers. Need to be able to handle stressful situations.