The Source Employee Reviews

Starts out great, then the pressure kicks in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2015
Being owned by Bell, there is a lot of pressure from management to sell Bell services. If you can sell them, you're going to have a great time. If you cannot they'll replace you with someone who can. This creates a lot of tension between the associates and management, particularly the associates who currently are not on track to meet quotas. Which would be the hardest part of the job, a lot of the quotas are reasonable but setting a stretch goal and not being able to make it, then getting negative feedback opposed to positive reinforcement for meeting your initial quota is not fun. Typically people come in for small things like batteries or various cords for their electronics and you are expected to turn that sale in a sale for bell services (residential or mobile) or at the very least, up sell them with current promotions. Co-workers are nice to one another, there can be arguments at times regarding stealing sales which the manager quells the best he can. The most enjoyable part the job would have to be after closing the store, my co-workers and I would generally go out to get something to eat if we all had the time to do so.
Pros
Good commission rates, flexible hours
Cons
A lot of pressure from Management as a result of higher ups pressuring them.
The Source
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 February 2013
The source taught me a lot about management and customer service. Most of the time I spent the day managing the store on my own and solving problems for customers. It was a commissioned based job and there were goals and quotas that the employees had to reach as a team and as individuals. It was highly competitive but also had a great team aspect to it. The hardest part was feeling like I was pressuring customers into purchasing more, and that the manager didn't hire enough employees so no one could cover anyone's shifts in case of emergencies.
Pros
great pay and commision and competitive work environment
Cons
changes in management
an ok place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 March 2016
you can make good money at the source but the demand placed on you to sell phones is a bit much . if you like to sell phones and are a good salesman you should be fine
Pros
spiffs
Cons
pressured to sell phones
On Phone
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON27 May 2014
Job Work/Life Balance - 5/10
Salary - 3/10
Benefits - 0/10
Job Security/Advancement - 2/10
Management - 4/10
Job Culture - 4/10
The source ?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2016
i enjoyed it, and after a while of being there, it did get slow, and alittle boring for my taste, maybe it was just the location that i worked at but it was a slow paced job i felt.
The Source
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 September 2015
Fun environment to work, lots of knowledge can be obtained about newly released technology. Management is great they help you develop yourself in customer service and sales. The hardest part of the job is sometimes not being able to meet sales quotas. The most enjoyable part is try out many of the new phones, laptops and tablets when they are released.
Pros
trying newly released technology
Cons
not meeting quotas
Not a good company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 November 2015
Promoted me to a manage a small store, and closed it after i turned around all the numbers to improve.

Did not re locate me after wasting 5 years of my life with this company
Pros
no pros
Cons
management
high pressure sales environment
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 November 2014
This is a store that puts intense pressure on selling mobile and Bell services. High pressure and manipulation is encouraged/ enforced to ensure you meet sales quotas. The singular goal is to try to sell a cell phone or Bell service to everyone who walks into the store. The staff was nice and so was management but it is a high pressure and competitive sales environment.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
high pressure, quotas enforced
management
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 November 2015
Conflict of interests from higher management has never been dealt with appropriately. All associates in the store are treated as replaceable if any personal Inquiries are made.
Not a great place to work
Many different positions (Former Employee) –  Niagara Region20 April 2015
Expect to live and breathe The Source. A typical day is to sell cellular and home services, warranties and everything else you can possibly talk the customer into buying. Yes, you are being tracked on your sales, and no it doesn't matter if it's busy or not. Typical corporate sales culture; if that 90 year old lady comes into the store, you better be talking her into high-speed internet and a Galaxy S6 on a high end data plan, with a warranty, and screen protector, and case, and car charger, and screen cleaner, and a USB, and some batteries with a warranty. My coworkers were awesome, and the best part of the job by far. They were the only reason I worked there for any length of time.
Pros
Discount on cellular and home services
Cons
Everything else
Fun workplace with great staff
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON2 February 2015
Learned alot about consumer electronics as well as the business of mobile phones, in home services, and the competitive market.
Management provides pressure, but good training and help from amazing and hilarious co workers.
Money is really good if you can sell these phones and warranties.
Pros
good money, good people.
Cons
Management pressure
Was a fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2016
had tons of fun learning how to activate cellphones, talking with customers. and having it at a mall location made it really fun working there during the Winter season
Pros
the discount
Cons
was often a quite store
If you can avoid working here you'll be a happier person
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2014
Where to start? You being working there excited for the opportunity to work with people and help customers and are told that you're there to provide the best experience for the customer. But you quickly learn that you are actually there to provide the most frustrating and annoying experience for customers. You are given almost no training on the technical aspects of many of the items in the store and are taught exclusively about cell phone plans and to a lesser degree TV and internet plans. When a customer walks in you are to greet them, find out what they want and then try for all you can to convert the conversation to cell phones or any service you can sell to them. Just came in for batteries? How about a cell phone? Looking for a toy for a 4 year old? Let me ask you about your cell phone. I was also expected to clean, stock, schedule, organize inventory, open/close the store, memorize continually changing service deals and promotions all for minimum wage. And of course none of these extra duties should have an effect on your sales according to the management who continually come down on you on everything. Seriously, if you can avoid working for this company you will be a happier and better person for it.
The best job I've ever had
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood park9 January 2016
I have no idea why I left this job. It was the best job as far as any kind of motivation, training, support in and out of work. The mentors they place you with are knowledgeable, respectful and kind. Everyone who I've ever encountered in this job is 100% amazing! If I could go back I would go back in a flash.
Good Place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  sault ste marie18 March 2015
The source offers a large amount of training and benefits. there is room for advancement. i started as a sales rep and moved up to manager within 2 years.
Pros
good working environment, newest gadgets
Cons
disgruntled customers.
Great management at the St. Albert location, nice working conditions
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB21 May 2015
I worked with several friends as sales associates which helped to create a family type working environment. Management was friendly and always on the ball. Great job for sharpening social skills, especially when approaching strangers. Probably met and conversed with every type of person in my time there. Competition for sales kept things interesting.
Pros
Great working environment in general
Cons
Difficult sales expectations
Over the top sales pressure. Non realistic goals.
Manager/Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ontario4 March 2013
I leArned alot at the source. Everything I know of technology I have pretty much learned from there. I love my co workers. Upper management is not even close to good. I have come to realize that the customer oriented values the source had has vanished. It's all about BELL sales. I actually don't blame the source fr this. And we do make more money, well the big stores do, but for the little guys they are struggling. And when sales goals aren't met, all of a sudden, that manager is gone. No second chance or training. We are disposable.
It's unfortunate that the source has gone great lengths to create such a good customer valued company just to have bell swoop in and change It all.
Pros
small bonuses, contests(which are usually fair, 60% of the time)
Cons
pressure to preform, change n management too frequently
Fun place to work but management did not act like management at all.
Sales Associate-Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON20 January 2014
- a typical day we would help customers, enter sales, answer phone calls, put shipment away.
- I learned about bell products as well as new computer programs that will help me.
- I found the management wasn't really management to every employer, would also do things most managers wouldn't do or allow things that shouldn't be aloud to be done on the sales floor.
- Young, except for the two full-time employees who have been there for years.
- Trying to sell bell internet or home phone or even bell products, just very pricey especially for young people who can get say Koodo for half the price.
- Working with people, meeting new faces and have experience to take with me wherever I go. I also love working with technology, seeing new products come out was exciting.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
Not being recgonized for doing well
Terrible management and uneducated staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove13 December 2012
The Source pressures all employees to increase Bell sales everyday, these goals are unrealistic. Training is not closely monitored and when I was employed there I took on many jobs that should have been handled by the manager and I was only a sales associate. From the locations I have been too it seems that employees are too caught up with their own cell phones to be selling more. The "spiffs" earned by employees are a reward kind of thing and often create unhealthy competition between employees. On a daily basis the average customer comes in asking for advice on cables, software, batteries and just general techonlogical inquiries. The training to answer many of these questions is not provided.
Pros
spiffs, employee discounts
Cons
bad management, must get customers signing contracts, lack of training, unreasonable sales pressure
Garbage, poorly-managed Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough14 January 2015
This company is the worst. If you think you're starting to work at the Source to sell electronics and to help customers to benifit their needs, think again. The Source is nothing about electronics and all about cellphones. You might as well work in a Bell store.

Here's a rundown of the Source.

1. Management.

Management here is atrocious. Managers spend 90% of their time in the back room, just lounging and barking at whether you sold a cellphone yet. The worst part is they will literally give you 1 shift a week if you didn't sell cellphones for a few days. Managers will delegate a lot of tasks for you when it's meant for them, while they will push for cellphone sales themselves. You will be tasked with cleaning, price-tagging, shipping and recieving, warranty knowledge, and tech support while trying to sell cellphones on top of all those duties. Management in the Source has this bizarre notion that cellphones run 100% of the company, and every customer should be converted to horrid Bell/Virgin mobile plans. Managers also don't care why you didn't sell that day, as they just care about numbers. This company will be run to the ground in a few years due to a few shortsighted people who don't know anything about managing.

2. Work atmosphere.

This really depends on which store you're located at. If you're in a high traffic big store, the atmosphere is always tense. Not only the upper managment literally expects you to convert every single customer to a Bell or Virgin Mobile user, you were expected to push push push push for a cellphone at every customer. As a result,
  more... there will be tensions between coworkers on grabbing sales form each other.

3. Job advancement/ Recognition.

Absolutely no recognition in this company. Upper management doesn't care if you sold 200 phones in the last week. If you fail to sell one today, you don't get much shifts for the next week. There is absolutely no room for job advancement as the managers are already either been there forever or are directly hired into the company.

4. Salary

I guess as a retail job, you can only expect so much in salary and pay. You get paid minimum wage plus a few comissions on cellphones and warranties. If you're not good at selling, you will literally only get minimum wage while expected to do managerial duties. Constantly you will get threatened by management to be fired if you don't sell enough, which is ridiculous.
The only good things i have to say about the Source are my co-workers. Most of the time, they're really your only source of fun while working. Getting along with co-workers is especially important in a cut-throat working environment such as this. You also learn quite a lot about different products and how they work, plus also how cellphones are activated.

In conclusion, don't work for this company. It will save you a lot of headaches
Pros
Coworkers, product knowledge
Cons
Management. pay, work environment.