The Source Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace with great staff
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Learned alot about consumer electronics as well as the business of mobile phones, in home services, and the competitive market.
Management provides pressure, but good training and help from amazing and hilarious co workers.
Money is really good if you can sell these phones and warranties.
Pros
good money, good people.
Cons
management pressure
Great management at the St. Albert location, nice working conditions
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, ABMay 21, 2015
I worked with several friends as sales associates which helped to create a family type working environment. Management was friendly and always on the ball. Great job for sharpening social skills, especially when approaching strangers. Probably met and conversed with every type of person in my time there. Competition for sales kept things interesting.
Pros
Great working environment in general
Cons
Difficult sales expectations
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  100 Mile House, BCNovember 27, 2015
Being one of the first ones to work in the 100 Mile House location. It was a great learning experience working with great managers. Learning from the ground up.
Fun and Friendly Staff with comfortable work environment
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, AncasterSeptember 1, 2015
The Source was an exciting work place with friendly staff. The focus was put too heavily on signing customers to cell phone contracts. The training in terms of daily functions such as P.O.S. use was good but when it came to processing Bell Services and cell phone contracts there was very little training given and in some cases customers would lose confidence in my sales ability as a result.
Pros
Low Stress Work Environment
Cons
Inadequate Job Training
The Source
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 12, 2013
The source taught me a lot about management and customer service. Most of the time I spent the day managing the store on my own and solving problems for customers. It was a commissioned based job and there were goals and quotas that the employees had to reach as a team and as individuals. It was highly competitive but also had a great team aspect to it. The hardest part was feeling like I was pressuring customers into purchasing more, and that the manager didn't hire enough employees so no one could cover anyone's shifts in case of emergencies.
Pros
great pay and commision and competitive work environment
Cons
changes in management
Great place to work for career minded people
Marketplace Fulfillment foreperson (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 27, 2015
Great place to work if your looking for long term employment. Internal management support could use an overhaul, a typical work day consists of 8 plus hours daily but is flexible.
high pressure sales environment
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
This is a store that puts intense pressure on selling mobile and Bell services. High pressure and manipulation is encouraged/ enforced to ensure you meet sales quotas. The singular goal is to try to sell a cell phone or Bell service to everyone who walks into the store. The staff was nice and so was management but it is a high pressure and competitive sales environment.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
high pressure, quotas enforced
The Worst of Bell
Cellular Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BCJune 29, 2015
The manager made excessive bad decisions, made daily miscommunication, had a bad memory, contradicted himself constantly, and did not have the store running to company standard which finally got corrected by the manager that replaced him. Beyond all that, it is commission-based and creates resentment when there is not enough traffic into the store, the priority is selling, not getting customers what is best for them, but getting them whatever Bell wants to shove out the door on them. I do not recommend this company to anyone unless they are aggressive and like forcing things on people for their own benefit, which will be rewarded by superiors who feed that mentality at the higher levels, and they do not provide the tools to be effective at giving them the sales they demand of you. Pass and go for Best Buy if you have a soul.
Pros
good shifts hours, convenient location
Cons
everything else you can imagine, inappropriate selling techniques, lack of ethics
Good Place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  sault ste marieMarch 18, 2015
The source offers a large amount of training and benefits. there is room for advancement. i started as a sales rep and moved up to manager within 2 years.
Pros
good working environment, newest gadgets
Cons
disgruntled customers.
To many Yes people not knowing retail
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJuly 13, 2015
Would not recommend this company to anyone, always changing direction it is going in every three to four mouths. Large staff turnover and store management does not know what it is doing.
Pros
35% discount on Bell services
Cons
unreliable for hours
On Phone
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ONMay 27, 2014
Job Work/Life Balance - 5/10
Salary - 3/10
Benefits - 0/10
Job Security/Advancement - 2/10
Management - 4/10
Job Culture - 4/10
Learning Environment with good Management
Technical Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONJuly 4, 2015
I started working at The Source on 28 March 2015. I still remember that day when I first met my all colleagues and how they well behaved with me. I am working as Part-time Sales Associate but still I am learning a lot of things daily. Our Manager Paul is really Professional at work and knows everything about Retail-Sales. I learnt so many things starting from my basics to getting involved more into customer problems from him. The best thing I like working here are my colleagues. When I started there I knew nothing about Sales and they helped me at every moment they found me in trouble. Now I achieve my all monthly objectives pretty easily.
Pros
Paid Break Time
Cons
No cons
Great place to get your feet wet
Intermediate All-Media Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 9, 2015
Perfect for those starting out and looking for a place to gain experience. With the right drive and attitude, this is a good place to grow and advance a career
Horrible Management, Horrible costumer service, STAY AWAY
Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Manger (Former Employee) –  St catharinesApril 8, 2015
If you LOVE being taken advantage of for minimum wage and LOVE shoving cell phone sales down costumers throats for pennies, then The Source is the place for you!!

I worked for The Source for over 6 months. Within my first month I was 2nd in command. They hired me telling me I would receive full time, then told me no one is hired on full time, that I MAY get full time hours but my title will always be part-time, which prevents you from ever getting full benefits. But they make sure and give you enough hours where you need to be totally devoted to them leaving you no time for finding a second job let alone school or family.

Over the next three months, my check was shorted on numerous occasions, my "spiffs" (commission) was inaccurate and I realized, that even though I work for "The Source" at the end of the day, the company is still owned by BELL, which explains a lot.

Near the end of my three months my manager was fired, and my location was being closed down with NO notice to anyone, no notice to staff and NO notice to costumers, literally at the end of a shift they came in and said that our doors were closed for business permanently. They made me manager of that location so I could handle the closing procedures. They left me with ZERO staff and ZERO assistance in closing the stores.

I had worked for the company for under 3 months and was being left alone to pack and ship out 100's of thousands of dollars of product throughout the district and to head office. Take down displays, climbing 20ft ladders by myself, taking apart the POSs, EVERYHTING. I asked my district
  more... manager for help and he came for 2 hours one day of the three weeks I was there. I continued in hopes they would make me full time, or a manager in training at the new location I would be sent too,but more empty promises and no recognition for anything.

I continued at the new location for a few more months where they hired a barista as a manager in training and when he told me my pants were to small in all the right places, I gave my 2 weeks and QUIT. It was the greatest feeling of all time. I still have the keys to the store I closed because of they're stupidity and unprofessionalism.

STAY AWAY!!!!!
Pros
zero pros
Cons
underpaid, horrible management, unprofessionalism, ZERO costumer serice
Great work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Langford, BCNovember 3, 2015
People were very nice at the Source, well informed, and very helpful. The manager at the time was nice, somewhat understanding, and helpful.
fast paced environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
working at food chain store or pharmacy involved operating cash registers, stocking, managing cash, continues interaction with customers and co-workers for a better and quality customer service. scanning product, find the right products codes if missing by communicating with other co-workers at different department.
Pros
fair break hour
Garbage, poorly-managed Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  ScarboroughJanuary 14, 2015
This company is the worst. If you think you're starting to work at the Source to sell electronics and to help customers to benifit their needs, think again. The Source is nothing about electronics and all about cellphones. You might as well work in a Bell store.

Here's a rundown of the Source.

1. Management.

Management here is atrocious. Managers spend 90% of their time in the back room, just lounging and barking at whether you sold a cellphone yet. The worst part is they will literally give you 1 shift a week if you didn't sell cellphones for a few days. Managers will delegate a lot of tasks for you when it's meant for them, while they will push for cellphone sales themselves. You will be tasked with cleaning, price-tagging, shipping and recieving, warranty knowledge, and tech support while trying to sell cellphones on top of all those duties. Management in the Source has this bizarre notion that cellphones run 100% of the company, and every customer should be converted to horrid Bell/Virgin mobile plans. Managers also don't care why you didn't sell that day, as they just care about numbers. This company will be run to the ground in a few years due to a few shortsighted people who don't know anything about managing.

2. Work atmosphere.

This really depends on which store you're located at. If you're in a high traffic big store, the atmosphere is always tense. Not only the upper managment literally expects you to convert every single customer to a Bell or Virgin Mobile user, you were expected to push push push push for a cellphone at every customer. As a result, there will
  more... be tensions between coworkers on grabbing sales form each other.

3. Job advancement/ Recognition.

Absolutely no recognition in this company. Upper management doesn't care if you sold 200 phones in the last week. If you fail to sell one today, you don't get much shifts for the next week. There is absolutely no room for job advancement as the managers are already either been there forever or are directly hired into the company.

4. Salary

I guess as a retail job, you can only expect so much in salary and pay. You get paid minimum wage plus a few comissions on cellphones and warranties. If you're not good at selling, you will literally only get minimum wage while expected to do managerial duties. Constantly you will get threatened by management to be fired if you don't sell enough, which is ridiculous.
The only good things i have to say about the Source are my co-workers. Most of the time, they're really your only source of fun while working. Getting along with co-workers is especially important in a cut-throat working environment such as this. You also learn quite a lot about different products and how they work, plus also how cellphones are activated.

In conclusion, don't work for this company. It will save you a lot of headaches
Pros
coworkers, product knowledge
Cons
management. pay, work environment.
If you can avoid working here you'll be a happier person
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2014
Where to start? You being working there excited for the opportunity to work with people and help customers and are told that you're there to provide the best experience for the customer. But you quickly learn that you are actually there to provide the most frustrating and annoying experience for customers. You are given almost no training on the technical aspects of many of the items in the store and are taught exclusively about cell phone plans and to a lesser degree TV and internet plans. When a customer walks in you are to greet them, find out what they want and then try for all you can to convert the conversation to cell phones or any service you can sell to them. Just came in for batteries? How about a cell phone? Looking for a toy for a 4 year old? Let me ask you about your cell phone. I was also expected to clean, stock, schedule, organize inventory, open/close the store, memorize continually changing service deals and promotions all for minimum wage. And of course none of these extra duties should have an effect on your sales according to the management who continually come down on you on everything. Seriously, if you can avoid working for this company you will be a happier and better person for it.
Easy money, fun place to work
Sales Associate Part Time (Current Employee) –  WinnipegMay 6, 2015
customer service type of environment
mostly electronics
competitive
selling phones to people probably the hardest
great people
good place to work if you like electronics
Pros
friendly people, easy money
Cons
standing for long periods of time
Fun place to work but management did not act like management at all.
Sales Associate-Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ONJanuary 20, 2014
- a typical day we would help customers, enter sales, answer phone calls, put shipment away.
- I learned about bell products as well as new computer programs that will help me.
- I found the management wasn't really management to every employer, would also do things most managers wouldn't do or allow things that shouldn't be aloud to be done on the sales floor.
- Young, except for the two full-time employees who have been there for years.
- Trying to sell bell internet or home phone or even bell products, just very pricey especially for young people who can get say Koodo for half the price.
- Working with people, meeting new faces and have experience to take with me wherever I go. I also love working with technology, seeing new products come out was exciting.
Pros
meeting new people.
Cons
not being recgonized for doing well