The Source Employee Reviews in Canada

Extremely positive retail company with emphasis on sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 29, 2016
I learned how to sell here, with great managers and supervisors to train you throughout the process. I loved working at The Source.
It was okay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 7, 2016
It was a good place to help me be good at customer service, I worked with really fantastic people. Didn't feel like I could move on p in the company like I had desired. Didn't feel appreciated with my work.
Pros
Phone bill discount
Cons
Unable to move up ladder.
Apologies
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 28, 2016
It seems Indeed auto populated two duplicate positions. This is simply to reach the word count necessary to continue developing my profile.
Pros
Accidental
Cons
Hopefully I can delete at some point in this process
an ok place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 21, 2016
you can make good money at the source but the demand placed on you to sell phones is a bit much . if you like to sell phones and are a good salesman you should be fine
Pros
spiffs
Cons
pressured to sell phones
Not a good company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONNovember 18, 2015
Promoted me to a manage a small store, and closed it after i turned around all the numbers to improve.

Did not re locate me after wasting 5 years of my life with this company
Pros
no pros
Cons
management
management
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 23, 2015
Conflict of interests from higher management has never been dealt with appropriately. All associates in the store are treated as replaceable if any personal Inquiries are made.
The Source
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Fun environment to work, lots of knowledge can be obtained about newly released technology. Management is great they help you develop yourself in customer service and sales. The hardest part of the job is sometimes not being able to meet sales quotas. The most enjoyable part is try out many of the new phones, laptops and tablets when they are released.
Pros
trying newly released technology
Cons
not meeting quotas
Starts out great, then the pressure kicks in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 4, 2015
Being owned by Bell, there is a lot of pressure from management to sell Bell services. If you can sell them, you're going to have a great time. If you cannot they'll replace you with someone who can. This creates a lot of tension between the associates and management, particularly the associates who currently are not on track to meet quotas. Which would be the hardest part of the job, a lot of the quotas are reasonable but setting a stretch goal and not being able to make it, then getting negative feedback opposed to positive reinforcement for meeting your initial quota is not fun. Typically people come in for small things like batteries or various cords for their electronics and you are expected to turn that sale in a sale for bell services (residential or mobile) or at the very least, up sell them with current promotions. Co-workers are nice to one another, there can be arguments at times regarding stealing sales which the manager quells the best he can. The most enjoyable part the job would have to be after closing the store, my co-workers and I would generally go out to get something to eat if we all had the time to do so.
Pros
Good commission rates, flexible hours
Cons
A lot of pressure from Management as a result of higher ups pressuring them.
The source ?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
i enjoyed it, and after a while of being there, it did get slow, and alittle boring for my taste, maybe it was just the location that i worked at but it was a slow paced job i felt.
Challenging, fast paced work environment with lots to learn.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2013
The Source was an excellent place to learn but my experiences there suffered as a result from the high-stress environment imposed by management and a lack of feedback.

-The learning curve as a new manager was very steep, with extensive systems with which to become familiar in a very short time.
-Wonderful coworkers, particularly amongst fellow managers helped considerably.
-Company is very focussed upon achieving particular sales goals and offers generous compensation for employees who excel at these targets.
-Compensation for achieving targets is limited in smaller volume stores.
Pros
excellent potential compensation for hitting targets, excellent environment to develop management skills.
Cons
heavy work load, long hours, conflicting demands between head office and regional supervisors, earned more money working as an assistant manager.
The best job I've ever had
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood parkJanuary 9, 2016
I have no idea why I left this job. It was the best job as far as any kind of motivation, training, support in and out of work. The mentors they place you with are knowledgeable, respectful and kind. Everyone who I've ever encountered in this job is 100% amazing! If I could go back I would go back in a flash.
Was a fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2016
had tons of fun learning how to activate cellphones, talking with customers. and having it at a mall location made it really fun working there during the Winter season
Pros
the discount
Cons
was often a quite store
Great place too work, sometimes slow.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2014
Great place to work, great benefits and pay, advanced in the company fast. Can be slow during off seasons and selling Bell and Virgin mobile services can sometimes make the job stressful yet rewarding most of the time.
Pros
fast advancement, ok pay, always fun playing with new electronics.
Cons
long hours, lots of heat from higher up management.
Fun at first, but not so much lately
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 19, 2014
A typical day at work is when I come in the afternoon for my shift, manager goes over a daily planner. I have learned about different products of the store over the years. The management is unpredictable at best. It is difficult on getting a raise from him His moods are always different day by day. He can be playful at times while being somewhat of a bully at others, by texting you on a mistake that you made a few days back, while already feeling guilty. My co-workers can be great at times, but feel like I am in a 'cut throat' environment, with cell phone competition, while one talks to a customer on one day about buying a cell phone, then next the same customer goes to a different day while you are not there to sell it and the co worker or manager gets the sale and you don't get the commission. The hardest part of the job, is that I can not please everyone.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when new product comes in.
Pros
discounts, some medical/dental coverage, on a busy day commision
Cons
lack of raises, 3-5 hrs a day, vacations cut short, bullying
Fun with technology and earn money
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 25, 2013
- I am enjoying to work with source.
- i have learned every time different technology with different product.
- Currently i am performing leadership role and learned management level with routine operation.
- To work in sales - more chances to raise conflict with co-workers for sales as individual sales target given .
- un- organise structure
- commission with extra bonuses.
Pros
contest prizes
Cons
Exciting, always able to learn!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, OntarioSeptember 10, 2014
In a typical day as an assistant manager, I would spend time keeping the team motivated, in the know, and providing answers to questions or curiosities both from the staff and the customers.
I would assist customers with sales, technical support and personal issues with their Bell or Virgin services.
I maintained organization of paperwork and filing systems, staff information, and had a strong knowledge of product available for sale both within the present store or other locations, including an online shopping center. I maintained the cleanliness of the store with very high standards and ensured then staff understood the importance and necessity of those standards at all times.
Pros
awesome benefits, so much room and opportunity to advance quickly!
Cons
long commute for myself, long hours.
Little to no room for advancement as well as bad pay
Assisstant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2014
A typical day of work is trying to sell cell phones to every single customer that walks in the door, whether they want it or not, and try to overcome objections. I learned a lot about product because I was surrounded by it, but you have to try to learn. Most knowledge isn't taught properly. Co-workers are typically awesome. Working at the Source in a large city means you get to work with a lot of people from different stores and most of them are fun and nice. The management is constantly changing and inconsistent from person to person. Rules and requirements differ between managers due to bad and inconsistent training. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude and negative customers as well as the terrible pay and benefits.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay and benefits
Life working at The Source
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONOctober 6, 2015
The Source was a great place I did co-op at. I learned how to deal with customers, and co-workers. At first, I was not comfortable talking with public but after working at The Source I feel a lot more comfortable dealing with public. Many new people come at The Source to buy different items, and I would easily be able to help them. It was a great experience working at The Source as I learned how to organize, manage and run a store.
Pros
Free time
Cons
Worked for a limited time
Not a great place to work
Many different positions (Former Employee) –  Niagara RegionApril 20, 2015
Expect to live and breathe The Source. A typical day is to sell cellular and home services, warranties and everything else you can possibly talk the customer into buying. Yes, you are being tracked on your sales, and no it doesn't matter if it's busy or not. Typical corporate sales culture; if that 90 year old lady comes into the store, you better be talking her into high-speed internet and a Galaxy S6 on a high end data plan, with a warranty, and screen protector, and case, and car charger, and screen cleaner, and a USB, and some batteries with a warranty. My coworkers were awesome, and the best part of the job by far. They were the only reason I worked there for any length of time.
Pros
Discount on cellular and home services
Cons
Everything else
Unrealistic Expectations
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2013
With the companies' new focus on Bell Residential Services, the pay structure has changed to reflect an unrealistic view of what a Sales Representative can do in a day.

Before the pay structure change, the company was a very good place to work. Sales Representatives are in charge of setting and achieving goals for themselves, commission was set in such a way that you earned the equivalent to the amount of effort you put in, management is helpful and guiding, chastising only if sales goals are consistently unmet.

At the company, I have learned how to set realistic and achievable goals, as well as effectively dealing with upset customers.

I would recommend this job to anybody who would like to pursue a career in sales, it can be a very rewarding place to work if you know how to sell.
Pros
easy going but challenging place to work
Cons
extremely long shifts, poor pay structure