The Source Employee Reviews in Canada

Decent place to work, though few hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSFebruary 22, 2016
I enjoyed working at the source very much. The East coast cell phone market though is really over saturated and you essentially make your money selling cell phone and tablet contracts. They promised me 40 hrs a week I was lucky to get 8.... that's where it hit me hard... you can't pay the bills on minimum wage for 8 hours a week.
Pros
30% off of your Bell services and great benefits if you work full time at 6 months, management is very skilled and super nice
Cons
Few hours and minimum wage for floor sales plus commission - you really have to hussle your sales
Absolutely The Worst Management Position Ever
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 22, 2016
Very poor communication and training for new managers. Extremely high expectations of staff and management on the sales floor. High commission sales pressure position. Sales and commission sales must be reported daily and goals achieved. High school like attitudes when those goals are not met. Very poor communication skills by most upper management. Overall not a place I'd recommend to work unless you can handle bull garbage and backstabbing.
Pros
Some discounts on items although not great
Cons
Way to many to list but #1 is upper management
fun but high pressure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  square oneApril 29, 2016
i really do enjoy working at the source and i love the customer service aspect of the job like, uncovering needs, helping the customer satisfy there wants with high amount of product knowledge, but the high amount of pressure that is given to sell a phone service/phone when a customer walks in the store for an unrelated product makes me feel nervous at times. Also when the unsuccessful cross over from product to phone conversation happens you manager gives the, "what happened" eyes. overall disregarding the pressure i really enjoy helping customers with consumer electronics.
Pros
customer related experience
Cons
high load of pressure
Just save yourself from the company, and don't bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 14, 2016
Awful upper management, awful pay, cutthroat tactics encouraged to keep your job.
"Commission" plus minimum wage offered. Commission is generally only earned by one or two people out of a ten-plus member sales team due to the minimum sales amount to earn the commission bracket.

Spiff: The flat dollar amount you earn for selling something, generally Cellular. This is why you walk into a store and the pressure is on to have a new cell phone crammed down your throat. They generally don't care what you want, they want to move Core units (New activation on cellular) or sell whatever earns the most Spiff.

The company is owned by Bell, and they utilize it as an avenue for moving cellular at the expense of customer service or support for ANY of the heaps of other stuff they sell because that will not earn you anything.

There is a report called the 90 day, that ranks employees vs every other employee in the district. You have a multitude of metrics to be judged on, and that is it; nothing else matters in the business.
Pros
Cheep cell bills
Cons
Poor wage, high pressure, cutthroat, no culture, no loyalty to their employees
Great-paying job for part-timers, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 7, 2016
Salary is minimum wage plus commission (max 5%) and 12% on warranties, plus base constants for service sales ($10 for a hardware upgrade). The company is very poorly run, however; we use a website called DayForce to book our availability and check our schedules and my most recent manager (though required by the policies of the company to book around my availability, which was quite open for a high school student) would frequently book me on days I couldn't work or during school hours and I had to repeatedly remind him of my availability. My coworkers were super friendly; I have no complaints on that front. Unfortunately for customers, The Source is getting rid of its small parts section which is what many have relied on us for over the years (as we sued to be Radio Shack) and since Bell has bought us out they are pushing their services at home and on mobile and not focusing on goods sales which they could profit greatly from. The best deals offered through Bell are offered at The Source, however.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, great pay
Cons
Company doesn't understand needs of customers, part timers required to work minimum 24 hours a week which doesn't leave much time for school work
Fun and high technology place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 8, 2016
Our days were filled with customers with technology, computer or cellphone concerns or requirements. I learned a lot of stuff about electronic, computer and cellphone technology. Management was okay. My co-workers were okay. Hardest part about the job was keeping up with new technology. Everyday was enjoyable at The Source.
Pros
High technology education
Cons
Low wages.
Co-Workers are fun, but too demanding and bad management
Full-time Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
I have been there for about 4 months, and let me tell you its not what I expected. I used to work for a pure cellphone/home service company. The hours are long like 9-9 or 11-9 you can barley take a break sometimes because we were short-staffed. The push on sales is out of the world with too much demands and being treated bad when not meeting sales and praised when you do. Manager did absolutely nothing except sit in back. The checks are only good if you make a sales. You are expected to do too much for little pay such as clean, organize, price tags, receive shipments, cash out customers, update computer system. Only enjoyable part are my co-workers, but then again could be because we are all on the same boat. Just wish they wouldn't be pushy on sales, because I quite frankly am not and only want to have a happy customer.
Pros
co-workers, and pay
Cons
long hours, bad management, unappreciative.
Not as it seems
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 12, 2015
Store management and up have their own secret agendas and use the employees as a means to an end. That end? The managers bonus cheques! Continual change in focus between selling consumer electronics and selling phones. No realistic goals, yet district managers expect huge sales figures no matter what. Hours are subject to selling. Sales Associates are overworked for minimum wage. Expect to be tasked with anything and everything. Spent almost a year and a half doing manager job but was never compensated for it. Want a raise? Sell more phones. Want a promotion? They don't exist. Topped the store in sales at Xmas and was let go for no reason three weeks later. Avoid this place!
Pros
none really.
Cons
hard to make a good paycheck if you don't sell phones, managers will lie to your face and throw you under the bus if it suits their needs, unrealistic sales goals, lousy discounts, hours totally dependant on how many cellphones you can shove down a customer's throat, no job advancement and no job security at all.
fun workplace great co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKJuly 11, 2016
would help customers where needed, would activate phone contracts able to multi task and the coworkers were very helpful when needed. the thing i most enjoyed was opening and closing the store, it gave me a good feeling that i was learning at a quicker speed.
Cons
not enough hours
Great work place, management is too pushy
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 27, 2016
Great co workers, gained lots of experience, their training is really good as well. However the high up management is extremely pushy on staff to sell sell sell. It was a great job before they changed the pay structure to include commission and incentives.
Pretty relaxing job
Customer Service Sales (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONFebruary 26, 2016
It was a good job, min wage at the time. But it was fun different each day and lots of interacting with customers. I had a great boss and the management at the time was great,
Pros
diffrent all the time
Cons
Minimal hours at times
Learning Environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
I enjoy the personal interaction with the customers/members and assisting them with their banking needs.
I was also doing meeting arrangements with catering, which i enjoyed doing very much.
Pros
Opportunities to grow
Cons
Too Far
Do not work here!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 22, 2015
This by far is the worst company I have ever worked for. All they ask you to do is sell cell phone. The management is always on your head to sell the targeted cell phones and whoever does that is favoured. However, if you fail to do so you have high chances of getting fired. While interviewing they never metioned about this, however the reality is completely different. All they do here is up selling. They try to convince customers in every possible way to buy a new cell phone or to get a warranty. This is how they make commission. If you are a true sales person who loves to sell cell phones, then this is your place!
Pros
Commision
Cons
Everything!
Entertaining and tec savvy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJune 25, 2016
Enjoyed being part of the team, up selling customers, fixing basic customer electronic issues, hardest part was probably the slow days when all the work was done, learned a bit about computers and cell phones
Exciting, always able to learn!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, OntarioSeptember 10, 2014
In a typical day as an assistant manager, I would spend time keeping the team motivated, in the know, and providing answers to questions or curiosities both from the staff and the customers.
I would assist customers with sales, technical support and personal issues with their Bell or Virgin services.
I maintained organization of paperwork and filing systems, staff information, and had a strong knowledge of product available for sale both within the present store or other locations, including an online shopping center. I maintained the cleanliness of the store with very high standards and ensured then staff understood the importance and necessity of those standards at all times.
Pros
awesome benefits, so much room and opportunity to advance quickly!
Cons
long commute for myself, long hours.
Gotta love the retail environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 21, 2016
It was fun working for the company, while it lasted. The company decided to close a lot of their stores down, however luckily enough I was able to transfer.
Good wireless training.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCApril 28, 2016
Worked for The Source for 8 years. Until one day I was told we have to let you go due to a business decision. Sad to say but the company does not stand by their staff.
Pros
Cellular discount
Cons
Company does not stand by their staff.Lack of training.Poor upper management.
Extremely positive retail company with emphasis on sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 29, 2016
I learned how to sell here, with great managers and supervisors to train you throughout the process. I loved working at The Source.
an ok place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 21, 2016
you can make good money at the source but the demand placed on you to sell phones is a bit much . if you like to sell phones and are a good salesman you should be fine
Pros
spiffs
Cons
pressured to sell phones
Challenging, fast paced work environment with lots to learn.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2013
The Source was an excellent place to learn but my experiences there suffered as a result from the high-stress environment imposed by management and a lack of feedback.

-The learning curve as a new manager was very steep, with extensive systems with which to become familiar in a very short time.
-Wonderful coworkers, particularly amongst fellow managers helped considerably.
-Company is very focussed upon achieving particular sales goals and offers generous compensation for employees who excel at these targets.
-Compensation for achieving targets is limited in smaller volume stores.
Pros
excellent potential compensation for hitting targets, excellent environment to develop management skills.
Cons
heavy work load, long hours, conflicting demands between head office and regional supervisors, earned more money working as an assistant manager.