The Source Employee Reviews

Terrible Company, Terrible Pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario3 March 2017
Do not work here! I'm so upset I put so much time and effort into a place the claims to be family oriented and have a good work/life balance. Managers, Assistant Managers couldn't keep their jobs. Constantly replacing people or moving them to new locations without notice. Completely discriminatory against family life(having children, daycare etc), several female managers lost their jobs due to taking maternity leaves and trying to manage a work life balance that the company does not support. This led to termination of all female managers in my district, once they all passed the 6 months period from maternity leave. If you're a single male with no life, and don't mind terrible pay for high expectations, then this is for you!
Pros
Great customers, Great staff
Cons
Terrible pay, Terrible upper Management, lack of support, All about the sales
Terrible company culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
Terrible upper management.
No real process for onboarding.
Interview process was filled with lies about the state of the company and their employees.
No real direction (throw things at the wall and see what sticks).
Very subjective way of viewing their employees.
Favouritism is evident.
Pros
Good benefits, discounts on bell products
Cons
terrible company culture, wants "yes man/woman", no support
Best commission structure in Alberta in retail
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 January 2017
You easily make $10 more every hour if you are willing to sell. That's all you gotta do. Great health benefits, health and safety top notch, just keep up with your management team and you will succeed :)
Good co workers and work enviornment/ bad management
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC10 January 2017
Good co workers and good enviornment.
Compensation is low and management is constantly changing and we keep having to train our managers.
Looking for an upgrade
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Low hours
Amazing Job
Customer Representative, Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 December 2016
Amazing Management.
Learned a lot of amazing things there that helped me advance in my career and in life.
Managers are very supportive and always there to help you with any "speed bump" that occurs in your path.
Not bad at all.. i dony know why everyone is complaining
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 November 2016
Honestly, the job is not bad. It just depends on what location you work at. Every employee has access to the sales of other associates from different locations in their district. I would recommend going to the busier locations if you want to make commission. Have a solid pitch for warranty and you'll be making lots of money just from that. Add in 3-4 phone activations, you'll have quite a pay cheque. If you are able to build relationships with the regulars they can be a good source of income for you as they refer you to their friends and family. Management can be wonky at times. The wort part of this job is the days where you do inventory, store set ups, changing prices day before new sales and checking prices. other than that, you could make a pretty good wage as a part time student especially if you work on busier days like the weekends.
Great job, Great people.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 February 2017
While employed as a Customer Service Representative at The Source , I learned how to be a team player, as well as a punctual salesman. I used my time management skills to receive stock when I wasn't needed on the sales floor. A successful sale always led to a good day. Which happened to be both the hardest , and most enjoyable parts of the job. Working for The Source I learned the importance of caring for one another .
Pros
Good sales training methods
Cons
Not enough stock space
Great if you rock at sales
Sales Associate, part time (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON26 January 2017
If you enjoy sales, this is the job for you. You are rewarded both financially (commission) and socially, if you make the sale.

The people you work with are generally alright. Usually in the 17-25 yr age group.

Management is pretty cool, they are flexible and you can occasionally get a weekend off.
Pros
Commission, location, staff discount
Cons
Mostly weekends, minimum wage
good job and life balance as the schedule is flexible
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 March 2017
good job and life balance as the schedule is flexible
seen co-workers fighting for sales
management is motivating
hardest part occurs only if you have no experience in customer talking and tackling
most enjoyable part is that the learning atmosphere is good, if you make friends there
Pros
flexible hours
Great flexibility
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
I worked here over 5 years ago but it was nice because of the flexibility of the scheduling. If I needed a day off I was able to switch it a week in advance. I really liked being able to see all the new technology as it was coming out.
Pros
flexibility, tech savy interests
Cons
long hours if you were alone
Just save yourself from the company, and don't bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 June 2016
Awful upper management, awful pay, cutthroat tactics encouraged to keep your job.
"Commission" plus minimum wage offered. Commission is generally only earned by one or two people out of a ten-plus member sales team due to the minimum sales amount to earn the commission bracket.

Spiff: The flat dollar amount you earn for selling something, generally Cellular. This is why you walk into a store and the pressure is on to have a new cell phone crammed down your throat. They generally don't care what you want, they want to move Core units (New activation on cellular) or sell whatever earns the most Spiff.

The company is owned by Bell, and they utilize it as an avenue for moving cellular at the expense of customer service or support for ANY of the heaps of other stuff they sell because that will not earn you anything.

There is a report called the 90 day, that ranks employees vs every other employee in the district. You have a multitude of metrics to be judged on, and that is it; nothing else matters in the business.
Pros
Cheep cell bills
Cons
Poor wage, high pressure, cutthroat, no culture, no loyalty to their employees
Low stress Sales Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 March 2017
Good place to work for sales associates, not a place to build a career. Basic wage and beats flipping burgers, plus the potential to make up to ~24$ and hour during Xmas time! Good place to learn alot if you see the value
Pros
Comission
Cons
No real advancement
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BC11 March 2017
I was always happy to come to work. My coworkers were like family to me. I always had fun at work. I learned so much from the 3 guys i worked with and especially from my boss.

It started out as a seasonal job but my manager decided to keep me for after the season ended because he believed I was capable of succeeding in the business as not only as an employer but part of their family. It was always a great day at work.

The hardest part of the job was memorizing all of the information that was crammed in our brain, but the most enjoyable part of the job was just going to work and to know I was going to make a sale and a friend.
Pros
Co workers, free bonus lunches
Cons
leaving.
Ok for a kid
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton13 March 2017
Worked for 3 years , started as sale associate and eventually got promoted to assistant manager. This promotion didn't give a good pay increase, and extra duties made it harder to meet commission quotas
Poor managment
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON15 March 2017
Poor management. flexible hour, very good pay and commission base The management is very poor, need more training how to treat employee , a lot of discrimination there.
What a joke
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON15 February 2017
Working at The Source was not a good experience what so ever. The management took all commissions and were not willing to train. The management would also favor other staff members and allow complacency.
Absolutely The Worst Management Position Ever
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2016
Very poor communication and training for new managers. Extremely high expectations of staff and management on the sales floor. High commission sales pressure position. Sales and commission sales must be reported daily and goals achieved. High school like attitudes when those goals are not met. Very poor communication skills by most upper management. Overall not a place I'd recommend to work unless you can handle bull garbage and backstabbing.
Pros
Some discounts on items although not great
Cons
Way to many to list but #1 is upper management
Energetic environment especially during holiday season
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 February 2017
I was taken in as a seasonal employee to stock shelves and maintain order on the sales floor. When my interpersonal skills were noticed by the manager I was quickly moved from stocking to helping any and ever customer that walked in. As well I was being mentored by the assistant manager to cash customers out and improve their overall experience in the store.
Interacting with the customers was the most enjoyable part, especially when I was able to meet their every need.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Unsteady Hours
Super place to Manage
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atholville, NB17 February 2017
Great place to work. Was more or less my own boss. Ran store to provide best customer service. Hired a good team to relay my message. Good support from upper management
They need to listen to their employies more
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 February 2017
they need to learn to listen to their employies more and not blindly trust one manager over the rest of the staff. They also will force you to sell phone plans to meet the quoda, and that will pressure you to pressure customers to get phones when you know they didn't come in for a phone and would be much happier leaving without one.
Pros
fun customers
Cons
being forced to sell phone plans