The Source

The Source Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not a great place to work
Many different positions (Former Employee), Niagara RegionApril 20, 2015
Pros: Discount on cellular and home services
Cons: Everything else
Expect to live and breathe The Source. A typical day is to sell cellular and home services, warranties and everything else you can possibly talk the customer into buying. Yes, you are being tracked on your sales, and no it doesn't matter if it's busy or not. Typical corporate sales culture; if that 90 year old lady comes into the store, you better be talking her into high-speed internet and a Galaxy S6 on a high end data plan, with a warranty, and screen protector, and case, and car charger, and screen cleaner, and a USB, and some batteries with a warranty. My coworkers were awesome, and the best part of the job by far. They were the only reason I worked there for any length of time.
The Source
Key Holder (Former Employee), Orangeville ontApril 16, 2015
Working at the Source was a eye opener to the technology world it was my first job in that field and with the training provided and the goals achieved it has opened up endless oppourtunitys for me
Horrible Management, Horrible costumer service, STAY AWAY
Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Manger (Former Employee), St catharinesApril 8, 2015
Pros: zero pros
Cons: underpaid, horrible management, unprofessionalism, ZERO costumer serice
If you LOVE being taken advantage of for minimum wage and LOVE shoving cell phone sales down costumers throats for pennies, then The Source is the place for you!!

I worked for The Source for over 6 months. Within my first month I was 2nd in command. They hired me telling me I would receive full time, then told me no one is hired on full time, that I MAY get full time hours but my title will always be part-time, which prevents you from ever getting full benefits. But they make sure and give you enough hours where you need to be totally devoted to them leaving you no time for finding a second job let alone school or family.

Over the next three months, my check was shorted on numerous occasions, my "spiffs" (commission) was inaccurate and I realized, that even though I work for "The Source" at the end of the day, the company is still owned by BELL, which explains a lot.

Near the end of my three months my manager was fired, and my location was being closed down with NO notice to anyone, no notice to staff and NO notice to costumers, literally at the end of a shift they came in and said that our doors were closed for business permanently. They made me manager of that location so I could handle the closing procedures. They left me with ZERO staff and ZERO assistance in closing the stores.

I had worked for the company for under 3 months and was being left alone to pack and ship out 100's of thousands of dollars of product throughout the district and to head office. Take down displays, climbing 20ft ladders by myself, taking apart the POSs, EVERYHTING. I asked my district – more... manager for help and he came for 2 hours one day of the three weeks I was there. I continued in hopes they would make me full time, or a manager in training at the new location I would be sent too,but more empty promises and no recognition for anything.

I continued at the new location for a few more months where they hired a barista as a manager in training and when he told me my pants were to small in all the right places, I gave my 2 weeks and QUIT. It was the greatest feeling of all time. I still have the keys to the store I closed because of they're stupidity and unprofessionalism.

STAY AWAY!!!!! – less
Fun workplace!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 7, 2015
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: I work to much
The best part of my job is my co-workers and my customers. They make everyday fun. The hardest part of my job is the amount of hours I work.
Great place to do your field placement
Marketing Associate (Former Employee), Barrie, ONApril 1, 2015
Pros: Lots of growth options
Cons: Somewhat Repetitive tasks
I did not work long for The Source, it was a great place to do my field placement as part of my education. I enjoyed my time while working for The Source as it gave me an inside knowledge on how the retail industry works.
Relaxed but goal-oriented work environment
Sales (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 30, 2015
The priorities of the source are:
Cell phones sales
Home service sales
Customer Service
Company culture (keeping presentable)
Poor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 23, 2015
I didn't really enjoy this job because the manager had no idea on how to run the store and handle difficult situations and assist on sales.
I'd say and so does the General Manager of The Source that I had way more experience and knowledge about the store than I did.
Productive and fun work place environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2015
cash out customers
wireless phone, internet, cable & home phone ( BRS ) knowledge
staff is great, everyone helps out & co operates with one another
Good Place to work
Manager (Former Employee), sault ste marieMarch 18, 2015
Pros: good working environment, newest gadgets
Cons: disgruntled customers.
The source offers a large amount of training and benefits. there is room for advancement. i started as a sales rep and moved up to manager within 2 years.
Terminated for no reason
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), Victoria, BCMarch 16, 2015
Pros: cool gadgets
Did an objectively good job, but was terminated and specifically told it was without cause, just so they could bring in a friend over from another district. this issue lies specifically with the current DM, but as a company, the general morale isn't great either.
Good work experience
Retail merchandiser (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCMarch 6, 2015
had a lot of fun, learned valuable skills. Learning how to price was difficult at first. Great co-workers. Feel comfortable working in face paced areas.
good work place
Sales associate (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaFebruary 25, 2015
good work place, friendly employees', good managers'
learned customer service
company celebrations
restocking and cleaning
productive retail store
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 20, 2015
While working at my retail store as a sale associate, I developed my time management skills, collaboration with my team partner, my supervisor and the external partners of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with our customers.
Great Place for people interested in the latest trending gadgets
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Meeting many people from all over the world with different needs and backgrounds is something to look forward to on a daily basis
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa. ONFebruary 14, 2015
It was a new challenge because I actually had to endorse products, but I found it very enjoyable and found that I could meet targets easily.
Gave me confidence
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: commission based environment.
Working at the Source gave me the confidence to speak to customers in a clear and concise manner. On a typical day, I was encouraged to inquire with each customer about who their cell phone service provider is, and try to offer them additional options.
Not as it seems
Sales Associate (Former Employee), OntarioFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: none really.
Cons: hard to make a good paycheck if you don't sell phones, managers will lie to your face and throw you under the bus if it suits their needs, unrealistic sales goals, lousy discounts, hours totally dependant on how many cellphones you can shove down a customer's throat, no job advancement and no job security at all.
Store management and up have their own secret agendas and use the employees as a means to an end. That end? The managers bonus cheques! Continual change in focus between selling consumer electronics and selling phones. No realistic goals, yet district managers expect huge sales figures no matter what. Hours are subject to selling. Sales Associates are overworked for minimum wage. Expect to be tasked with anything and everything. Spent almost a year and a half doing manager job but was never compensated for it. Want a raise? Sell more phones. Want a promotion? They don't exist. Topped the store in sales at Xmas and was let go for no reason three weeks later. Avoid this place!
Fun workplace with great staff
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: good money, good people.
Cons: management pressure
Learned alot about consumer electronics as well as the business of mobile phones, in home services, and the competitive market.
Management provides pressure, but good training and help from amazing and hilarious co workers.
Money is really good if you can sell these phones and warranties.
Garbage, poorly-managed Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), ScarboroughJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: coworkers, product knowledge
Cons: management. pay, work environment.
This company is the worst. If you think you're starting to work at the Source to sell electronics and to help customers to benifit their needs, think again. The Source is nothing about electronics and all about cellphones. You might as well work in a Bell store.

Here's a rundown of the Source.

1. Management.

Management here is atrocious. Managers spend 90% of their time in the back room, just lounging and barking at whether you sold a cellphone yet. The worst part is they will literally give you 1 shift a week if you didn't sell cellphones for a few days. Managers will delegate a lot of tasks for you when it's meant for them, while they will push for cellphone sales themselves. You will be tasked with cleaning, price-tagging, shipping and recieving, warranty knowledge, and tech support while trying to sell cellphones on top of all those duties. Management in the Source has this bizarre notion that cellphones run 100% of the company, and every customer should be converted to horrid Bell/Virgin mobile plans. Managers also don't care why you didn't sell that day, as they just care about numbers. This company will be run to the ground in a few years due to a few shortsighted people who don't know anything about managing.

2. Work atmosphere.

This really depends on which store you're located at. If you're in a high traffic big store, the atmosphere is always tense. Not only the upper managment literally expects you to convert every single customer to a Bell or Virgin Mobile user, you were expected to push push push push for a cellphone at every customer. As a result, there will – more... be tensions between coworkers on grabbing sales form each other.

3. Job advancement/ Recognition.

Absolutely no recognition in this company. Upper management doesn't care if you sold 200 phones in the last week. If you fail to sell one today, you don't get much shifts for the next week. There is absolutely no room for job advancement as the managers are already either been there forever or are directly hired into the company.

4. Salary

I guess as a retail job, you can only expect so much in salary and pay. You get paid minimum wage plus a few comissions on cellphones and warranties. If you're not good at selling, you will literally only get minimum wage while expected to do managerial duties. Constantly you will get threatened by management to be fired if you don't sell enough, which is ridiculous.
The only good things i have to say about the Source are my co-workers. Most of the time, they're really your only source of fun while working. Getting along with co-workers is especially important in a cut-throat working environment such as this. You also learn quite a lot about different products and how they work, plus also how cellphones are activated.

In conclusion, don't work for this company. It will save you a lot of headaches – less
Friendly work environment
Cashier (Current Employee), OldsJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: staff
Cons: not enough hours
Providing courteous and knowledgeable service to customers.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Source

As one of Canada’s leading Consumer Electronics and Wireless retailers with 650+ locations across Canada, The Source provides – Read more