The Source Employee Reviews in Canada

Just save yourself from the company, and don't bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 14, 2016
Awful upper management, awful pay, cutthroat tactics encouraged to keep your job.
"Commission" plus minimum wage offered. Commission is generally only earned by one or two people out of a ten-plus member sales team due to the minimum sales amount to earn the commission bracket.

Spiff: The flat dollar amount you earn for selling something, generally Cellular. This is why you walk into a store and the pressure is on to have a new cell phone crammed down your throat. They generally don't care what you want, they want to move Core units (New activation on cellular) or sell whatever earns the most Spiff.

The company is owned by Bell, and they utilize it as an avenue for moving cellular at the expense of customer service or support for ANY of the heaps of other stuff they sell because that will not earn you anything.

There is a report called the 90 day, that ranks employees vs every other employee in the district. You have a multitude of metrics to be judged on, and that is it; nothing else matters in the business.
Pros
Cheep cell bills
Cons
Poor wage, high pressure, cutthroat, no culture, no loyalty to their employees
Learning Environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
I enjoy the personal interaction with the customers/members and assisting them with their banking needs.
I was also doing meeting arrangements with catering, which i enjoyed doing very much.
Pros
Opportunities to grow
Cons
Too Far
Great-paying job for part-timers, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 7, 2016
Salary is minimum wage plus commission (max 5%) and 12% on warranties, plus base constants for service sales ($10 for a hardware upgrade). The company is very poorly run, however; we use a website called DayForce to book our availability and check our schedules and my most recent manager (though required by the policies of the company to book around my availability, which was quite open for a high school student) would frequently book me on days I couldn't work or during school hours and I had to repeatedly remind him of my availability. My coworkers were super friendly; I have no complaints on that front. Unfortunately for customers, The Source is getting rid of its small parts section which is what many have relied on us for over the years (as we sued to be Radio Shack) and since Bell has bought us out they are pushing their services at home and on mobile and not focusing on goods sales which they could profit greatly from. The best deals offered through Bell are offered at The Source, however.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, great pay
Cons
Company doesn't understand needs of customers, part timers required to work minimum 24 hours a week which doesn't leave much time for school work
Friendly and competitive work environment
Sales associate seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 21, 2016
Very friendly and positive work environment.
Cooperative and supportive management.
Learn t lot of things which really give good start to my carrier.
fun but high pressure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  square oneApril 29, 2016
i really do enjoy working at the source and i love the customer service aspect of the job like, uncovering needs, helping the customer satisfy there wants with high amount of product knowledge, but the high amount of pressure that is given to sell a phone service/phone when a customer walks in the store for an unrelated product makes me feel nervous at times. Also when the unsuccessful cross over from product to phone conversation happens you manager gives the, "what happened" eyes. overall disregarding the pressure i really enjoy helping customers with consumer electronics.
Pros
customer related experience
Cons
high load of pressure
Apologies
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 28, 2016
It seems Indeed auto populated two duplicate positions. This is simply to reach the word count necessary to continue developing my profile.
Pros
Accidental
Cons
Hopefully I can delete at some point in this process
Good wireless training.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCApril 28, 2016
Worked for The Source for 8 years. Until one day I was told we have to let you go due to a business decision. Sad to say but the company does not stand by their staff.
Pros
Cellular discount
Cons
Company does not stand by their staff.Lack of training.Poor upper management.
Poor support from upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioApril 11, 2016
Avoid like the plague. No work life balance, constant changing of company focus. Just don't. The company is schizophrenic. I give it two years. Stores have no stock and it's impossible to do everything they expect in a day. You do management duties without the pay.
It was okay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 7, 2016
It was a good place to help me be good at customer service, I worked with really fantastic people. Didn't feel like I could move on p in the company like I had desired. Didn't feel appreciated with my work.
Pros
Phone bill discount
Cons
Unable to move up ladder.
an ok place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 21, 2016
you can make good money at the source but the demand placed on you to sell phones is a bit much . if you like to sell phones and are a good salesman you should be fine
Pros
spiffs
Cons
pressured to sell phones
The source ?
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
i enjoyed it, and after a while of being there, it did get slow, and alittle boring for my taste, maybe it was just the location that i worked at but it was a slow paced job i felt.
Pretty relaxing job
Customer Service Sales (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONFebruary 26, 2016
It was a good job, min wage at the time. But it was fun different each day and lots of interacting with customers. I had a great boss and the management at the time was great,
Pros
diffrent all the time
Cons
Minimal hours at times
Never work here.
Spirit crushing (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 22, 2016
Easily one of the worst jobs I've every had, under the management of the current Ottawa head-manager, and many others. 42 employees (6 of them managers) through my store in 19 months. Horrible.
Decent place to work, though few hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSFebruary 22, 2016
I enjoyed working at the source very much. The East coast cell phone market though is really over saturated and you essentially make your money selling cell phone and tablet contracts. They promised me 40 hrs a week I was lucky to get 8.... that's where it hit me hard... you can't pay the bills on minimum wage for 8 hours a week.
Pros
30% off of your Bell services and great benefits if you work full time at 6 months, management is very skilled and super nice
Cons
Few hours and minimum wage for floor sales plus commission - you really have to hussle your sales
Was a fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 8, 2016
had tons of fun learning how to activate cellphones, talking with customers. and having it at a mall location made it really fun working there during the Winter season
Pros
the discount
Cons
was often a quite store
The best job I've ever had
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood parkJanuary 9, 2016
I have no idea why I left this job. It was the best job as far as any kind of motivation, training, support in and out of work. The mentors they place you with are knowledgeable, respectful and kind. Everyone who I've ever encountered in this job is 100% amazing! If I could go back I would go back in a flash.
Better Than Most Jobs - Sales Associate
Sales Associate, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2015
I've had terrible jobs in the past it had made me appreciate working here more so than the rest however this is still a job with it's disappointments.

Though this place did show me that there were good versus bad products, this just came with the knowledge learned from the job. Many of what I already knew and could have assumed from the products were common sense. Working here definitely gave me the chance to know when the right time to purchase expensive items was.

The items that are often needed to function other products are priced at such a ridiculous amount.

Management and coworkers try and get along, but as they all try it will eventually become extremely boring while you're on your feet for the remaining hours of the day until the end of your shift. There is also an expectation to meet a certain goal/sales quota therefore the tense sense of competition feeds off into the environment. Coworker might have an unfair advantage for several reasons and then get the customer to purchase the item from them.

Oblivious customers who don't even know the difference to some cables at times. Just insane. "Come on, are you kidding me." Kinds of moments.
Pros
Great products, learning about what products are better than others and when to purchase them at their lowest cost.
Cons
Terrible discounts for employees, coworkers smelled really bad, convincing customers to buy products you know personally aren't as good, overpriced items, long hours, staying longer than needed for closing.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  100 Mile House, BCNovember 27, 2015
Being one of the first ones to work in the 100 Mile House location. It was a great learning experience working with great managers. Learning from the ground up.
management
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 23, 2015
Conflict of interests from higher management has never been dealt with appropriately. All associates in the store are treated as replaceable if any personal Inquiries are made.
Not a good company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONNovember 18, 2015
Promoted me to a manage a small store, and closed it after i turned around all the numbers to improve.

Did not re locate me after wasting 5 years of my life with this company
Pros
no pros
Cons
management