The Source Employee Reviews in Canada

Decent place to work, though few hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NSFebruary 22, 2016
I enjoyed working at the source very much. The East coast cell phone market though is really over saturated and you essentially make your money selling cell phone and tablet contracts. They promised me 40 hrs a week I was lucky to get 8.... that's where it hit me hard... you can't pay the bills on minimum wage for 8 hours a week.
Pros
30% off of your Bell services and great benefits if you work full time at 6 months, management is very skilled and super nice
Cons
Few hours and minimum wage for floor sales plus commission - you really have to hussle your sales
fun but high pressure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  square oneApril 29, 2016
i really do enjoy working at the source and i love the customer service aspect of the job like, uncovering needs, helping the customer satisfy there wants with high amount of product knowledge, but the high amount of pressure that is given to sell a phone service/phone when a customer walks in the store for an unrelated product makes me feel nervous at times. Also when the unsuccessful cross over from product to phone conversation happens you manager gives the, "what happened" eyes. overall disregarding the pressure i really enjoy helping customers with consumer electronics.
Pros
customer related experience
Cons
high load of pressure
Do not work here!!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 22, 2015
This by far is the worst company I have ever worked for. All they ask you to do is sell cell phone. The management is always on your head to sell the targeted cell phones and whoever does that is favoured. However, if you fail to do so you have high chances of getting fired. While interviewing they never metioned about this, however the reality is completely different. All they do here is up selling. They try to convince customers in every possible way to buy a new cell phone or to get a warranty. This is how they make commission. If you are a true sales person who loves to sell cell phones, then this is your place!
Pros
Commision
Cons
Everything!
Not as it seems
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 12, 2015
Store management and up have their own secret agendas and use the employees as a means to an end. That end? The managers bonus cheques! Continual change in focus between selling consumer electronics and selling phones. No realistic goals, yet district managers expect huge sales figures no matter what. Hours are subject to selling. Sales Associates are overworked for minimum wage. Expect to be tasked with anything and everything. Spent almost a year and a half doing manager job but was never compensated for it. Want a raise? Sell more phones. Want a promotion? They don't exist. Topped the store in sales at Xmas and was let go for no reason three weeks later. Avoid this place!
Pros
none really.
Cons
hard to make a good paycheck if you don't sell phones, managers will lie to your face and throw you under the bus if it suits their needs, unrealistic sales goals, lousy discounts, hours totally dependant on how many cellphones you can shove down a customer's throat, no job advancement and no job security at all.
Pretty relaxing job
Customer Service Sales (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONFebruary 26, 2016
It was a good job, min wage at the time. But it was fun different each day and lots of interacting with customers. I had a great boss and the management at the time was great,
Pros
diffrent all the time
Cons
Minimal hours at times
Co-Workers are fun, but too demanding and bad management
Full-time Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
I have been there for about 4 months, and let me tell you its not what I expected. I used to work for a pure cellphone/home service company. The hours are long like 9-9 or 11-9 you can barley take a break sometimes because we were short-staffed. The push on sales is out of the world with too much demands and being treated bad when not meeting sales and praised when you do. Manager did absolutely nothing except sit in back. The checks are only good if you make a sales. You are expected to do too much for little pay such as clean, organize, price tags, receive shipments, cash out customers, update computer system. Only enjoyable part are my co-workers, but then again could be because we are all on the same boat. Just wish they wouldn't be pushy on sales, because I quite frankly am not and only want to have a happy customer.
Pros
co-workers, and pay
Cons
long hours, bad management, unappreciative.
Better Than Most Jobs - Sales Associate
Sales Associate, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2015
I've had terrible jobs in the past it had made me appreciate working here more so than the rest however this is still a job with it's disappointments.

Though this place did show me that there were good versus bad products, this just came with the knowledge learned from the job. Many of what I already knew and could have assumed from the products were common sense. Working here definitely gave me the chance to know when the right time to purchase expensive items was.

The items that are often needed to function other products are priced at such a ridiculous amount.

Management and coworkers try and get along, but as they all try it will eventually become extremely boring while you're on your feet for the remaining hours of the day until the end of your shift. There is also an expectation to meet a certain goal/sales quota therefore the tense sense of competition feeds off into the environment. Coworker might have an unfair advantage for several reasons and then get the customer to purchase the item from them.

Oblivious customers who don't even know the difference to some cables at times. Just insane. "Come on, are you kidding me." Kinds of moments.
Pros
Great products, learning about what products are better than others and when to purchase them at their lowest cost.
Cons
Terrible discounts for employees, coworkers smelled really bad, convincing customers to buy products you know personally aren't as good, overpriced items, long hours, staying longer than needed for closing.
Wouldn't recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrhead, ABOctober 3, 2015
I worked for this company for a short time due too the lack of trading, lack of paying out commition, lack of job security, and so on. The managers try and sweet talk you into staying longer with no future. The DM in the area I was in had to be the worst person I have never met in my life. Arrogant stuck up. Belittles employees.
Pros
Cons
Typical over worked, under paid, horrible management at all levels
an ok place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 21, 2016
you can make good money at the source but the demand placed on you to sell phones is a bit much . if you like to sell phones and are a good salesman you should be fine
Pros
spiffs
Cons
pressured to sell phones
Never work here.
Spirit crushing (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 22, 2016
Easily one of the worst jobs I've every had, under the management of the current Ottawa head-manager, and many others. 42 employees (6 of them managers) through my store in 19 months. Horrible.
Poor support from upper management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OntarioApril 11, 2016
Avoid like the plague. No work life balance, constant changing of company focus. Just don't. The company is schizophrenic. I give it two years. Stores have no stock and it's impossible to do everything they expect in a day. You do management duties without the pay.
The work place was filled with many customers leaving happily with new products and helpful customer service.
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Quesnel BCAugust 17, 2015
Typical day at The Source was having customers come in looking for nothing in specific but then leaving happily with a product that they found and became curious about and wanted further information which I would to my best extent elaborate and show by example how the product works, what the product is used for and where the product can be used. Management was a little more difficult for we had our store manager leave the company and we were with no manager for a month which helped us focus more on helping each one another and informing one another on products that we had no information of. During this work experience I learned much about customer support.
Pros
Flexible hours
Good wireless training.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCApril 28, 2016
Worked for The Source for 8 years. Until one day I was told we have to let you go due to a business decision. Sad to say but the company does not stand by their staff.
Pros
Cellular discount
Cons
Company does not stand by their staff.Lack of training.Poor upper management.
Exciting, always able to learn!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, OntarioSeptember 10, 2014
In a typical day as an assistant manager, I would spend time keeping the team motivated, in the know, and providing answers to questions or curiosities both from the staff and the customers.
I would assist customers with sales, technical support and personal issues with their Bell or Virgin services.
I maintained organization of paperwork and filing systems, staff information, and had a strong knowledge of product available for sale both within the present store or other locations, including an online shopping center. I maintained the cleanliness of the store with very high standards and ensured then staff understood the importance and necessity of those standards at all times.
Pros
awesome benefits, so much room and opportunity to advance quickly!
Cons
long commute for myself, long hours.
It was okay.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABApril 7, 2016
It was a good place to help me be good at customer service, I worked with really fantastic people. Didn't feel like I could move on p in the company like I had desired. Didn't feel appreciated with my work.
Pros
Phone bill discount
Cons
Unable to move up ladder.
productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BCNovember 16, 2015
learned what was like to work on commission.
learned about daily goals, to get a bigger commission
management was good
co workers were friendly easy to talk to
part of job, not being so shy to be able to obtain my daily goal
most enjoyable part, meeting people. helping customers.
Apologies
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 28, 2016
It seems Indeed auto populated two duplicate positions. This is simply to reach the word count necessary to continue developing my profile.
Pros
Accidental
Cons
Hopefully I can delete at some point in this process
Little to no room for advancement as well as bad pay
Assisstant Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2014
A typical day of work is trying to sell cell phones to every single customer that walks in the door, whether they want it or not, and try to overcome objections. I learned a lot about product because I was surrounded by it, but you have to try to learn. Most knowledge isn't taught properly. Co-workers are typically awesome. Working at the Source in a large city means you get to work with a lot of people from different stores and most of them are fun and nice. The management is constantly changing and inconsistent from person to person. Rules and requirements differ between managers due to bad and inconsistent training. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude and negative customers as well as the terrible pay and benefits.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
pay and benefits
Friendly and competitive work environment
Sales associate seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 21, 2016
Very friendly and positive work environment.
Cooperative and supportive management.
Learn t lot of things which really give good start to my carrier.
The best job I've ever had
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood parkJanuary 9, 2016
I have no idea why I left this job. It was the best job as far as any kind of motivation, training, support in and out of work. The mentors they place you with are knowledgeable, respectful and kind. Everyone who I've ever encountered in this job is 100% amazing! If I could go back I would go back in a flash.