The Source

The Source Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good work place
Sales associate (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, AlbertaFebruary 25, 2015
good work place, friendly employees', good managers'
learned customer service
company celebrations
restocking and cleaning
productive retail store
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 20, 2015
While working at my retail store as a sale associate, I developed my time management skills, collaboration with my team partner, my supervisor and the external partners of the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with our customers.
Great Place for people interested in the latest trending gadgets
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Meeting many people from all over the world with different needs and backgrounds is something to look forward to on a daily basis
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa. ONFebruary 14, 2015
It was a new challenge because I actually had to endorse products, but I found it very enjoyable and found that I could meet targets easily.
Gave me confidence
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: commission based environment.
Working at the Source gave me the confidence to speak to customers in a clear and concise manner. On a typical day, I was encouraged to inquire with each customer about who their cell phone service provider is, and try to offer them additional options.
Not as it seems
Sales Associate (Former Employee), OntarioFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: none really.
Cons: hard to make a good paycheck if you don't sell phones, managers will lie to your face and throw you under the bus if it suits their needs, unrealistic sales goals, lousy discounts, hours totally dependant on how many cellphones you can shove down a customer's throat, no job advancement and no job security at all.
Store management and up have their own secret agendas and use the employees as a means to an end. That end? The managers bonus cheques! Continual change in focus between selling consumer electronics and selling phones. No realistic goals, yet district managers expect huge sales figures no matter what. Hours are subject to selling. Sales Associates are overworked for minimum wage. Expect to be tasked with anything and everything. Spent almost a year and a half doing manager job but was never compensated for it. Want a raise? Sell more phones. Want a promotion? They don't exist. Topped the store in sales at Xmas and was let go for no reason three weeks later. Avoid this place!
Fun workplace with great staff
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), North Bay, ONFebruary 2, 2015
Pros: good money, good people.
Cons: management pressure
Learned alot about consumer electronics as well as the business of mobile phones, in home services, and the competitive market.
Management provides pressure, but good training and help from amazing and hilarious co workers.
Money is really good if you can sell these phones and warranties.
Garbage, poorly-managed Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), ScarboroughJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: coworkers, product knowledge
Cons: management. pay, work environment.
This company is the worst. If you think you're starting to work at the Source to sell electronics and to help customers to benifit their needs, think again. The Source is nothing about electronics and all about cellphones. You might as well work in a Bell store.

Here's a rundown of the Source.

1. Management.

Management here is atrocious. Managers spend 90% of their time in the back room, just lounging and barking at whether you sold a cellphone yet. The worst part is they will literally give you 1 shift a week if you didn't sell cellphones for a few days. Managers will delegate a lot of tasks for you when it's meant for them, while they will push for cellphone sales themselves. You will be tasked with cleaning, price-tagging, shipping and recieving, warranty knowledge, and tech support while trying to sell cellphones on top of all those duties. Management in the Source has this bizarre notion that cellphones run 100% of the company, and every customer should be converted to horrid Bell/Virgin mobile plans. Managers also don't care why you didn't sell that day, as they just care about numbers. This company will be run to the ground in a few years due to a few shortsighted people who don't know anything about managing.

2. Work atmosphere.

This really depends on which store you're located at. If you're in a high traffic big store, the atmosphere is always tense. Not only the upper managment literally expects you to convert every single customer to a Bell or Virgin Mobile user, you were expected to push push push push for a cellphone at every customer. As a result, there will – more... be tensions between coworkers on grabbing sales form each other.

3. Job advancement/ Recognition.

Absolutely no recognition in this company. Upper management doesn't care if you sold 200 phones in the last week. If you fail to sell one today, you don't get much shifts for the next week. There is absolutely no room for job advancement as the managers are already either been there forever or are directly hired into the company.

4. Salary

I guess as a retail job, you can only expect so much in salary and pay. You get paid minimum wage plus a few comissions on cellphones and warranties. If you're not good at selling, you will literally only get minimum wage while expected to do managerial duties. Constantly you will get threatened by management to be fired if you don't sell enough, which is ridiculous.
The only good things i have to say about the Source are my co-workers. Most of the time, they're really your only source of fun while working. Getting along with co-workers is especially important in a cut-throat working environment such as this. You also learn quite a lot about different products and how they work, plus also how cellphones are activated.

In conclusion, don't work for this company. It will save you a lot of headaches – less
Friendly work environment
Cashier (Current Employee), OldsJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: staff
Cons: not enough hours
Providing courteous and knowledgeable service to customers.
Very fast paced and stressful
staff (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: bonus', spiffs, commission
Cons: stressful environment
Overall store managers are great to work for, however, there is a lot of pressure to produce good sales numbers. Need to be able to handle stressful situations.
Co-Workers are fun, but too demanding and bad management
Full-time Sales Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: co-workers, and pay
Cons: long hours, bad management, unappreciative.
I have been there for about 4 months, and let me tell you its not what I expected. I used to work for a pure cellphone/home service company. The hours are long like 9-9 or 11-9 you can barley take a break sometimes because we were short-staffed. The push on sales is out of the world with too much demands and being treated bad when not meeting sales and praised when you do. Manager did absolutely nothing except sit in back. The checks are only good if you make a sales. You are expected to do too much for little pay such as clean, organize, price tags, receive shipments, cash out customers, update computer system. Only enjoyable part are my co-workers, but then again could be because we are all on the same boat. Just wish they wouldn't be pushy on sales, because I quite frankly am not and only want to have a happy customer.
The Source
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2014
Great company, great colleagues, great benefits. A place where you can grow and be someone bigger due to company internal growth.
Great place too work, sometimes slow.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2014
Pros: fast advancement, ok pay, always fun playing with new electronics.
Cons: long hours, lots of heat from higher up management.
Great place to work, great benefits and pay, advanced in the company fast. Can be slow during off seasons and selling Bell and Virgin mobile services can sometimes make the job stressful yet rewarding most of the time.
high pressure sales environment
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
Pros: staff discount
Cons: high pressure, quotas enforced
This is a store that puts intense pressure on selling mobile and Bell services. High pressure and manipulation is encouraged/ enforced to ensure you meet sales quotas. The singular goal is to try to sell a cell phone or Bell service to everyone who walks into the store. The staff was nice and so was management but it is a high pressure and competitive sales environment.
Great place
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Burlington. ONOctober 30, 2014
Lots of fun, but also lots of pressure to sell. If you work hard, you can succeed, though.
Great place but out of business.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Lethbridge AlbertaSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: loved it
Cons: gone
Commission computer and electronic sales, warranty sales, merchandising.
Exciting, always able to learn!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Georgetown, OntarioSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: awesome benefits, so much room and opportunity to advance quickly!
Cons: long commute for myself, long hours.
In a typical day as an assistant manager, I would spend time keeping the team motivated, in the know, and providing answers to questions or curiosities both from the staff and the customers.
I would assist customers with sales, technical support and personal issues with their Bell or Virgin services.
I maintained organization of paperwork and filing systems, staff information, and had a strong knowledge of product available for sale both within the present store or other locations, including an online shopping center. I maintained the cleanliness of the store with very high standards and ensured then staff understood the importance and necessity of those standards at all times.
Little to no room for advancement as well as bad pay
Assisstant Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: pay and benefits
A typical day of work is trying to sell cell phones to every single customer that walks in the door, whether they want it or not, and try to overcome objections. I learned a lot about product because I was surrounded by it, but you have to try to learn. Most knowledge isn't taught properly. Co-workers are typically awesome. Working at the Source in a large city means you get to work with a lot of people from different stores and most of them are fun and nice. The management is constantly changing and inconsistent from person to person. Rules and requirements differ between managers due to bad and inconsistent training. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude and negative customers as well as the terrible pay and benefits.
Fun and great workplace
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: too many pressure on selling.
mangement was amaizng, great place to work fun, educational and made me want to go to work everyday. just a great place to be in general.
Good pay, room for advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 22, 2014
Good pay, room for advancement. Emphasis on customer service and growing customer service skills.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Source

As one of Canada’s leading Consumer Electronics and Wireless retailers with 650+ locations across Canada, The Source provides – Read more