The Source Employee Reviews

Terrible company culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 January 2017
Terrible upper management.
No real process for onboarding.
Interview process was filled with lies about the state of the company and their employees.
No real direction (throw things at the wall and see what sticks).
Very subjective way of viewing their employees.
Favouritism is evident.
Pros
Good benefits, discounts on bell products
Cons
terrible company culture, wants "yes man/woman", no support
Good co workers and work enviornment/ bad management
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC10 January 2017
Good co workers and good enviornment.
Compensation is low and management is constantly changing and we keep having to train our managers.
Looking for an upgrade
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Low hours
Best commission structure in Alberta in retail
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 January 2017
You easily make $10 more every hour if you are willing to sell. That's all you gotta do. Great health benefits, health and safety top notch, just keep up with your management team and you will succeed :)
Not bad at all.. i dony know why everyone is complaining
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 November 2016
Honestly, the job is not bad. It just depends on what location you work at. Every employee has access to the sales of other associates from different locations in their district. I would recommend going to the busier locations if you want to make commission. Have a solid pitch for warranty and you'll be making lots of money just from that. Add in 3-4 phone activations, you'll have quite a pay cheque. If you are able to build relationships with the regulars they can be a good source of income for you as they refer you to their friends and family. Management can be wonky at times. The wort part of this job is the days where you do inventory, store set ups, changing prices day before new sales and checking prices. other than that, you could make a pretty good wage as a part time student especially if you work on busier days like the weekends.
Amazing Job
Customer Representative, Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 December 2016
Amazing Management.
Learned a lot of amazing things there that helped me advance in my career and in life.
Managers are very supportive and always there to help you with any "speed bump" that occurs in your path.
Great if you rock at sales
Sales Associate, part time (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON26 January 2017
If you enjoy sales, this is the job for you. You are rewarded both financially (commission) and socially, if you make the sale.

The people you work with are generally alright. Usually in the 17-25 yr age group.

Management is pretty cool, they are flexible and you can occasionally get a weekend off.
Pros
Commission, location, staff discount
Cons
Mostly weekends, minimum wage
Just save yourself from the company, and don't bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 June 2016
Awful upper management, awful pay, cutthroat tactics encouraged to keep your job.
"Commission" plus minimum wage offered. Commission is generally only earned by one or two people out of a ten-plus member sales team due to the minimum sales amount to earn the commission bracket.

Spiff: The flat dollar amount you earn for selling something, generally Cellular. This is why you walk into a store and the pressure is on to have a new cell phone crammed down your throat. They generally don't care what you want, they want to move Core units (New activation on cellular) or sell whatever earns the most Spiff.

The company is owned by Bell, and they utilize it as an avenue for moving cellular at the expense of customer service or support for ANY of the heaps of other stuff they sell because that will not earn you anything.

There is a report called the 90 day, that ranks employees vs every other employee in the district. You have a multitude of metrics to be judged on, and that is it; nothing else matters in the business.
Pros
Cheep cell bills
Cons
Poor wage, high pressure, cutthroat, no culture, no loyalty to their employees
Great flexibility
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
I worked here over 5 years ago but it was nice because of the flexibility of the scheduling. If I needed a day off I was able to switch it a week in advance. I really liked being able to see all the new technology as it was coming out.
Pros
flexibility, tech savy interests
Cons
long hours if you were alone
Absolutely The Worst Management Position Ever
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2016
Very poor communication and training for new managers. Extremely high expectations of staff and management on the sales floor. High commission sales pressure position. Sales and commission sales must be reported daily and goals achieved. High school like attitudes when those goals are not met. Very poor communication skills by most upper management. Overall not a place I'd recommend to work unless you can handle bull garbage and backstabbing.
Pros
Some discounts on items although not great
Cons
Way to many to list but #1 is upper management
What a joke
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON15 February 2017
Working at The Source was not a good experience what so ever. The management took all commissions and were not willing to train. The management would also favor other staff members and allow complacency.
Cons
Energetic environment especially during holiday season
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON7 February 2017
I was taken in as a seasonal employee to stock shelves and maintain order on the sales floor. When my interpersonal skills were noticed by the manager I was quickly moved from stocking to helping any and ever customer that walked in. As well I was being mentored by the assistant manager to cash customers out and improve their overall experience in the store.
Interacting with the customers was the most enjoyable part, especially when I was able to meet their every need.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Unsteady Hours
Super place to Manage
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atholville, NB17 February 2017
Great place to work. Was more or less my own boss. Ran store to provide best customer service. Hired a good team to relay my message. Good support from upper management
They need to listen to their employies more
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK19 February 2017
they need to learn to listen to their employies more and not blindly trust one manager over the rest of the staff. They also will force you to sell phone plans to meet the quoda, and that will pressure you to pressure customers to get phones when you know they didn't come in for a phone and would be much happier leaving without one.
Pros
fun customers
Cons
being forced to sell phone plans
Decent place to work, though few hours
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS22 February 2016
I enjoyed working at the source very much. The East coast cell phone market though is really over saturated and you essentially make your money selling cell phone and tablet contracts. They promised me 40 hrs a week I was lucky to get 8.... that's where it hit me hard... you can't pay the bills on minimum wage for 8 hours a week.
Pros
30% off of your Bell services and great benefits if you work full time at 6 months, management is very skilled and super nice
Cons
Few hours and minimum wage for floor sales plus commission - you really have to hussle your sales
Splended
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON22 September 2016
long, how to cell phones, can be unorganized - who isn't at times, co workers are great, some customers can be difficult - again who isn't at times, the environment
benefits
Cons
shift changes without notice
Fun and Enjoyable
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB8 September 2016
-Management was encouraging
-Enjoyed my co-workers
-Job position training was very detailed
-Working with customers and helping them with their needs
A wonderful Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 November 2016
I loved this job and miss it very much. The manager was absolutely amazing and so was the staff. I learnt about how to run a store and how to train other new managers for their own stores. The hardest part of the job was leaving actually and the best part of the job was how wonderful the team worked together.
Pros
The staff
Cons
The buy over from bell
Fun and high technology place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2016
Our days were filled with customers with technology, computer or cellphone concerns or requirements. I learned a lot of stuff about electronic, computer and cellphone technology. Management was okay. My co-workers were okay. Hardest part about the job was keeping up with new technology. Everyday was enjoyable at The Source.
Pros
High technology education
Cons
Low wages.
Great-paying job for part-timers, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 June 2016
Salary is minimum wage plus commission (max 5%) and 12% on warranties, plus base constants for service sales ($10 for a hardware upgrade). The company is very poorly run, however; we use a website called DayForce to book our availability and check our schedules and my most recent manager (though required by the policies of the company to book around my availability, which was quite open for a high school student) would frequently book me on days I couldn't work or during school hours and I had to repeatedly remind him of my availability. My coworkers were super friendly; I have no complaints on that front. Unfortunately for customers, The Source is getting rid of its small parts section which is what many have relied on us for over the years (as we sued to be Radio Shack) and since Bell has bought us out they are pushing their services at home and on mobile and not focusing on goods sales which they could profit greatly from. The best deals offered through Bell are offered at The Source, however.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, great pay
Cons
Company doesn't understand needs of customers, part timers required to work minimum 24 hours a week which doesn't leave much time for school work
Great work place, management is too pushy
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2016
Great co workers, gained lots of experience, their training is really good as well. However the high up management is extremely pushy on staff to sell sell sell. It was a great job before they changed the pay structure to include commission and incentives.