The Source Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Garbage, poorly-managed Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), ScarboroughJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: coworkers, product knowledge
Cons: management. pay, work environment.
This company is the worst. If you think you're starting to work at the Source to sell electronics and to help customers to benifit their needs, think again. The Source is nothing about electronics and all about cellphones. You might as well work in a Bell store.

Here's a rundown of the Source.

1. Management.

Management here is atrocious. Managers spend 90% of their time in the back room, just lounging and barking at whether you sold a cellphone yet. The worst part is they will literally give you 1 shift a week if you didn't sell cellphones for a few days. Managers will delegate a lot of tasks for you when it's meant for them, while they will push for cellphone sales themselves. You will be tasked with cleaning, price-tagging, shipping and recieving, warranty knowledge, and tech support while trying to sell cellphones on top of all those duties. Management in the Source has this bizarre notion that cellphones run 100% of the company, and every customer should be converted to horrid Bell/Virgin mobile plans. Managers also don't care why you didn't sell that day, as they just care about numbers. This company will be run to the ground in a few years due to a few shortsighted people who don't know anything about managing.

2. Work atmosphere.

This really depends on which store you're located at. If you're in a high traffic big store, the atmosphere is always tense. Not only the upper managment literally expects you to convert every single customer to a Bell or Virgin Mobile user, you were expected to push push push push for a cellphone at every customer. As a result, there will – more... be tensions between coworkers on grabbing sales form each other.

3. Job advancement/ Recognition.

Absolutely no recognition in this company. Upper management doesn't care if you sold 200 phones in the last week. If you fail to sell one today, you don't get much shifts for the next week. There is absolutely no room for job advancement as the managers are already either been there forever or are directly hired into the company.

4. Salary

I guess as a retail job, you can only expect so much in salary and pay. You get paid minimum wage plus a few comissions on cellphones and warranties. If you're not good at selling, you will literally only get minimum wage while expected to do managerial duties. Constantly you will get threatened by management to be fired if you don't sell enough, which is ridiculous.
The only good things i have to say about the Source are my co-workers. Most of the time, they're really your only source of fun while working. Getting along with co-workers is especially important in a cut-throat working environment such as this. You also learn quite a lot about different products and how they work, plus also how cellphones are activated.

In conclusion, don't work for this company. It will save you a lot of headaches – less
The Source
Part Time, Shift Leader/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONApril 12, 2013
Working at the Source has been and still is a learning experience. I started as a sales associate in August and quickly became a second key holder after my first month. When the new position of Shift Leader was created, they had promoted my title to such. A typical day is where we help people find what they need, mostly batteries, and talk to them about their cellular phones and plans as well as their home services. We provide Mobile services with Bell and Virgin as well as Bell Residential Services (BRS).

I have learned a lot more about electronics than I did when I started. I learned how activations work for cell phones as well as home services, learned how to talk with the representatives that people deal with when they have questions/concerns. Learned the variety of management tasks in a retail store such as shipments that come in, that we have to send out with proper procedures, organization of all products as well as providing proper paperwork to ensure we can track our products, sales and trends for analysis later down the road.

Management puts a lot of emphasis and pressure on selling cell phones and BRS. Typically, the changes from management will derive from the high traffic/selling stores which makes it difficult for smaller less frequented stores to be successful. Quotas are most often than not higher than we predict to being able to sell. Incentives change but mostly benefit the larger high traffic/selling stores. On the other hand, Management does provide us with aid when we are in need.

The hardest part of the job is convincing people to come to Bell for home – more... services as well as mobile services. Most people in my area have had bad experiences in the past and cannot see the changes that Bell has done in the past 2 years. They are also not eligible for the new services Bell has which surpasses the quality of their services as well as making it affordable when comparing. Most people already have a cell phone and are on contract. The second hardest part to this is making sure they don't have bad credit, if they do, they cannot get these services or have to put down a deposit to get them.

What I do enjoy with the job is being able to talk to people without a script and be professional and friendly. We have a variety of different customers and we try to have fun with them depending on their moods and if we have a line up. My co-workers are fantastic and always make it enjoyable. When we do sell a lot, we make a good amount of commission on top of our wages. – less
Horrible Management, Horrible costumer service, STAY AWAY
Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, Manger (Former Employee), St catharinesApril 8, 2015
Pros: zero pros
Cons: underpaid, horrible management, unprofessionalism, ZERO costumer serice
If you LOVE being taken advantage of for minimum wage and LOVE shoving cell phone sales down costumers throats for pennies, then The Source is the place for you!!

I worked for The Source for over 6 months. Within my first month I was 2nd in command. They hired me telling me I would receive full time, then told me no one is hired on full time, that I MAY get full time hours but my title will always be part-time, which prevents you from ever getting full benefits. But they make sure and give you enough hours where you need to be totally devoted to them leaving you no time for finding a second job let alone school or family.

Over the next three months, my check was shorted on numerous occasions, my "spiffs" (commission) was inaccurate and I realized, that even though I work for "The Source" at the end of the day, the company is still owned by BELL, which explains a lot.

Near the end of my three months my manager was fired, and my location was being closed down with NO notice to anyone, no notice to staff and NO notice to costumers, literally at the end of a shift they came in and said that our doors were closed for business permanently. They made me manager of that location so I could handle the closing procedures. They left me with ZERO staff and ZERO assistance in closing the stores.

I had worked for the company for under 3 months and was being left alone to pack and ship out 100's of thousands of dollars of product throughout the district and to head office. Take down displays, climbing 20ft ladders by myself, taking apart the POSs, EVERYHTING. I asked my district – more... manager for help and he came for 2 hours one day of the three weeks I was there. I continued in hopes they would make me full time, or a manager in training at the new location I would be sent too,but more empty promises and no recognition for anything.

I continued at the new location for a few more months where they hired a barista as a manager in training and when he told me my pants were to small in all the right places, I gave my 2 weeks and QUIT. It was the greatest feeling of all time. I still have the keys to the store I closed because of they're stupidity and unprofessionalism.

STAY AWAY!!!!! – less
Better Than Most Jobs - Sales Associate
Sales Associate, Customer Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 13, 2015
Pros: Great products, learning about what products are better than others and when to purchase them at their lowest cost.
Cons: Terrible discounts for employees, coworkers smelled really bad, convincing customers to buy products you know personally aren't as good, overpriced items, long hours, staying longer than needed for closing.
I've had terrible jobs in the past it had made me appreciate working here more so than the rest however this is still a job with it's disappointments.

Though this place did show me that there were good versus bad products, this just came with the knowledge learned from the job. Many of what I already knew and could have assumed from the products were common sense. Working here definitely gave me the chance to know when the right time to purchase expensive items was.

The items that are often needed to function other products are priced at such a ridiculous amount.

Management and coworkers try and get along, but as they all try it will eventually become extremely boring while you're on your feet for the remaining hours of the day until the end of your shift. There is also an expectation to meet a certain goal/sales quota therefore the tense sense of competition feeds off into the environment. Coworker might have an unfair advantage for several reasons and then get the customer to purchase the item from them.

Oblivious customers who don't even know the difference to some cables at times. Just insane. "Come on, are you kidding me." Kinds of moments.
Store Manager
Retail Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 21, 2013
Pros: lots of cool stuff, always something to do, you are encouraged to play with your products
Cons: too much clutter, hard to focus on the sales with so much operational preassure.
The company is currently in transition from one entity to another since it's purchase from Bell.

It still has lots of old "Radio Shack" habits and sees it self as a store of gadgets, doodads, and random electronics. It has a renewed focus on wireless for virgin and bell.

Stores are very difficult to manage because the company keeps a very low employee to customer ratio, but would like to take a professional solution selling approach with big ticket items, wireless in particular. However they offer very little training to the managers, and very old systems to support them. You will find many thousands of sku's packed into a little store, with mountains of clearance product, and very little staff. This makes it difficult to keep such stores operating at a high level with a strong sales focus. The head office likes to think of the organization as sales focused, however the policies they have in place drive the company like radio shack where staff are just cashiers and store care takers.

Keep in mind this was years back, and the company was in major transition. It could be very different now with Bell at the helm as when I left there had been many changes at the executive to senior levels of the company.
Starts out great, then the pressure kicks in
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2015
Pros: Good commission rates, flexible hours
Cons: A lot of pressure from Management as a result of higher ups pressuring them.
Being owned by Bell, there is a lot of pressure from management to sell Bell services. If you can sell them, you're going to have a great time. If you cannot they'll replace you with someone who can. This creates a lot of tension between the associates and management, particularly the associates who currently are not on track to meet quotas. Which would be the hardest part of the job, a lot of the quotas are reasonable but setting a stretch goal and not being able to make it, then getting negative feedback opposed to positive reinforcement for meeting your initial quota is not fun. Typically people come in for small things like batteries or various cords for their electronics and you are expected to turn that sale in a sale for bell services (residential or mobile) or at the very least, up sell them with current promotions. Co-workers are nice to one another, there can be arguments at times regarding stealing sales which the manager quells the best he can. The most enjoyable part the job would have to be after closing the store, my co-workers and I would generally go out to get something to eat if we all had the time to do so.
If you can avoid working here you'll be a happier person
Sales associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 30, 2014
Where to start? You being working there excited for the opportunity to work with people and help customers and are told that you're there to provide the best experience for the customer. But you quickly learn that you are actually there to provide the most frustrating and annoying experience for customers. You are given almost no training on the technical aspects of many of the items in the store and are taught exclusively about cell phone plans and to a lesser degree TV and internet plans. When a customer walks in you are to greet them, find out what they want and then try for all you can to convert the conversation to cell phones or any service you can sell to them. Just came in for batteries? How about a cell phone? Looking for a toy for a 4 year old? Let me ask you about your cell phone. I was also expected to clean, stock, schedule, organize inventory, open/close the store, memorize continually changing service deals and promotions all for minimum wage. And of course none of these extra duties should have an effect on your sales according to the management who continually come down on you on everything. Seriously, if you can avoid working for this company you will be a happier and better person for it.
Fun at first, but not so much lately
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 19, 2014
Pros: discounts, some medical/dental coverage, on a busy day commision
Cons: lack of raises, 3-5 hrs a day, vacations cut short, bullying
A typical day at work is when I come in the afternoon for my shift, manager goes over a daily planner. I have learned about different products of the store over the years. The management is unpredictable at best. It is difficult on getting a raise from him His moods are always different day by day. He can be playful at times while being somewhat of a bully at others, by texting you on a mistake that you made a few days back, while already feeling guilty. My co-workers can be great at times, but feel like I am in a 'cut throat' environment, with cell phone competition, while one talks to a customer on one day about buying a cell phone, then next the same customer goes to a different day while you are not there to sell it and the co worker or manager gets the sale and you don't get the commission. The hardest part of the job, is that I can not please everyone.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when new product comes in.
Not as it seems
Sales Associate (Former Employee), OntarioFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: none really.
Cons: hard to make a good paycheck if you don't sell phones, managers will lie to your face and throw you under the bus if it suits their needs, unrealistic sales goals, lousy discounts, hours totally dependant on how many cellphones you can shove down a customer's throat, no job advancement and no job security at all.
Store management and up have their own secret agendas and use the employees as a means to an end. That end? The managers bonus cheques! Continual change in focus between selling consumer electronics and selling phones. No realistic goals, yet district managers expect huge sales figures no matter what. Hours are subject to selling. Sales Associates are overworked for minimum wage. Expect to be tasked with anything and everything. Spent almost a year and a half doing manager job but was never compensated for it. Want a raise? Sell more phones. Want a promotion? They don't exist. Topped the store in sales at Xmas and was let go for no reason three weeks later. Avoid this place!
Fast-paced environment with an always changing product market.
Sales Associate/Shift Leader (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 13, 2014
A typical day for me consists of arriving early, doing daily communication and inventory management routines, then opening the doors to the public. In electronics there is always something new, but especially with The Source's focus on cellular service and wireless devices, the change comes that much faster. I learned to keep on top of all the news in my field of business not just our own. Always checking competitors offers to see where we stand and where our advantage is was key to closing the sale. Although I have never help an official management position I have performed managerial tasks for a majority of my time with The Source. My experience and drive lead my managers to leave me in charge of store operations during their absence for conferences held throughout the year. I enjoy the various competitions held internally to drive us to better sales goals, as well as the built in reward program for those who can perform well.
Co-Workers are fun, but too demanding and bad management
Full-time Sales Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: co-workers, and pay
Cons: long hours, bad management, unappreciative.
I have been there for about 4 months, and let me tell you its not what I expected. I used to work for a pure cellphone/home service company. The hours are long like 9-9 or 11-9 you can barley take a break sometimes because we were short-staffed. The push on sales is out of the world with too much demands and being treated bad when not meeting sales and praised when you do. Manager did absolutely nothing except sit in back. The checks are only good if you make a sales. You are expected to do too much for little pay such as clean, organize, price tags, receive shipments, cash out customers, update computer system. Only enjoyable part are my co-workers, but then again could be because we are all on the same boat. Just wish they wouldn't be pushy on sales, because I quite frankly am not and only want to have a happy customer.
Assistant manager (Former Employee), Prince Rupert, BCApril 14, 2012
A typical day at the Source, would include firstly customers and customer service. if someone enters your store you drop what your doing and help em out, when not assisting customers you are restocking shelves and bringing in new inventory. lots of price tagging merchandising such as facing and restocking. occasionally shipping product in or out of our store to or from other source stores. coming away of working for the source companies i took with me the tools needed to run and manage a multimillion dollar retail store, and help the team of employees to utilize their time more efficiently. the most enjoyable part of the job for me was a combination of the problem solving / trouble shooting that comes with electronics and helping out the customers to get what they need and are looking for. there is nothing more satisfying then when a customer comes into your store looking for something that they don't know much about and being able to find them the right product they need to ether get what they need need to work or simply getting the right product for what they are trying to do.
The Worst of Bell
Cellular Sales Specialist (Former Employee), Squamish, BCJune 29, 2015
Pros: good shifts hours, convenient location
Cons: everything else you can imagine, inappropriate selling techniques, lack of ethics
The manager made excessive bad decisions, made daily miscommunication, had a bad memory, contradicted himself constantly, and did not have the store running to company standard which finally got corrected by the manager that replaced him. Beyond all that, it is commission-based and creates resentment when there is not enough traffic into the store, the priority is selling, not getting customers what is best for them, but getting them whatever Bell wants to shove out the door on them. I do not recommend this company to anyone unless they are aggressive and like forcing things on people for their own benefit, which will be rewarded by superiors who feed that mentality at the higher levels, and they do not provide the tools to be effective at giving them the sales they demand of you. Pass and go for Best Buy if you have a soul.
Fun place to work but management did not act like management at all.
Sales Associate-Seasonal (Former Employee), Brockville, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: meeting new people.
Cons: not being recgonized for doing well
- a typical day we would help customers, enter sales, answer phone calls, put shipment away.
- I learned about bell products as well as new computer programs that will help me.
- I found the management wasn't really management to every employer, would also do things most managers wouldn't do or allow things that shouldn't be aloud to be done on the sales floor.
- Young, except for the two full-time employees who have been there for years.
- Trying to sell bell internet or home phone or even bell products, just very pricey especially for young people who can get say Koodo for half the price.
- Working with people, meeting new faces and have experience to take with me wherever I go. I also love working with technology, seeing new products come out was exciting.
Over the top sales pressure. Non realistic goals.
Manager/Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee), OntarioMarch 4, 2013
Pros: small bonuses, contests(which are usually fair, 60% of the time)
Cons: pressure to preform, change n management too frequently
I leArned alot at the source. Everything I know of technology I have pretty much learned from there. I love my co workers. Upper management is not even close to good. I have come to realize that the customer oriented values the source had has vanished. It's all about BELL sales. I actually don't blame the source fr this. And we do make more money, well the big stores do, but for the little guys they are struggling. And when sales goals aren't met, all of a sudden, that manager is gone. No second chance or training. We are disposable.
It's unfortunate that the source has gone great lengths to create such a good customer valued company just to have bell swoop in and change It all.
Unrealistic Expectations
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: easy going but challenging place to work
Cons: extremely long shifts, poor pay structure
With the companies' new focus on Bell Residential Services, the pay structure has changed to reflect an unrealistic view of what a Sales Representative can do in a day.

Before the pay structure change, the company was a very good place to work. Sales Representatives are in charge of setting and achieving goals for themselves, commission was set in such a way that you earned the equivalent to the amount of effort you put in, management is helpful and guiding, chastising only if sales goals are consistently unmet.

At the company, I have learned how to set realistic and achievable goals, as well as effectively dealing with upset customers.

I would recommend this job to anybody who would like to pursue a career in sales, it can be a very rewarding place to work if you know how to sell.
Not a great place to work
Many different positions (Former Employee), Niagara RegionApril 20, 2015
Pros: Discount on cellular and home services
Cons: Everything else
Expect to live and breathe The Source. A typical day is to sell cellular and home services, warranties and everything else you can possibly talk the customer into buying. Yes, you are being tracked on your sales, and no it doesn't matter if it's busy or not. Typical corporate sales culture; if that 90 year old lady comes into the store, you better be talking her into high-speed internet and a Galaxy S6 on a high end data plan, with a warranty, and screen protector, and case, and car charger, and screen cleaner, and a USB, and some batteries with a warranty. My coworkers were awesome, and the best part of the job by far. They were the only reason I worked there for any length of time.
Little to no room for advancement as well as bad pay
Assisstant Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: pay and benefits
A typical day of work is trying to sell cell phones to every single customer that walks in the door, whether they want it or not, and try to overcome objections. I learned a lot about product because I was surrounded by it, but you have to try to learn. Most knowledge isn't taught properly. Co-workers are typically awesome. Working at the Source in a large city means you get to work with a lot of people from different stores and most of them are fun and nice. The management is constantly changing and inconsistent from person to person. Rules and requirements differ between managers due to bad and inconsistent training. The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude and negative customers as well as the terrible pay and benefits.
Terrible management and uneducated staff
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Spruce GroveDecember 13, 2012
Pros: spiffs, employee discounts
Cons: bad management, must get customers signing contracts, lack of training, unreasonable sales pressure
The Source pressures all employees to increase Bell sales everyday, these goals are unrealistic. Training is not closely monitored and when I was employed there I took on many jobs that should have been handled by the manager and I was only a sales associate. From the locations I have been too it seems that employees are too caught up with their own cell phones to be selling more. The "spiffs" earned by employees are a reward kind of thing and often create unhealthy competition between employees. On a daily basis the average customer comes in asking for advice on cables, software, batteries and just general techonlogical inquiries. The training to answer many of these questions is not provided.
Challenging, fast paced work environment with lots to learn.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 8, 2013
Pros: excellent potential compensation for hitting targets, excellent environment to develop management skills.
Cons: heavy work load, long hours, conflicting demands between head office and regional supervisors, earned more money working as an assistant manager.
The Source was an excellent place to learn but my experiences there suffered as a result from the high-stress environment imposed by management and a lack of feedback.

-The learning curve as a new manager was very steep, with extensive systems with which to become familiar in a very short time.
-Wonderful coworkers, particularly amongst fellow managers helped considerably.
-Company is very focussed upon achieving particular sales goals and offers generous compensation for employees who excel at these targets.
-Compensation for achieving targets is limited in smaller volume stores.