The Source

The Source Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Garbage, poorly-managed Company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), ScarboroughJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: coworkers, product knowledge
Cons: management. pay, work environment.
This company is the worst. If you think you're starting to work at the Source to sell electronics and to help customers to benifit their needs, think again. The Source is nothing about electronics and all about cellphones. You might as well work in a Bell store.

Here's a rundown of the Source.

1. Management.

Management here is atrocious. Managers spend 90% of their time in the back room, just lounging and barking at whether you sold a cellphone yet. The worst part is they will literally give you 1 shift a week if you didn't sell cellphones for a few days. Managers will delegate a lot of tasks for you when it's meant for them, while they will push for cellphone sales themselves. You will be tasked with cleaning, price-tagging, shipping and recieving, warranty knowledge, and tech support while trying to sell cellphones on top of all those duties. Management in the Source has this bizarre notion that cellphones run 100% of the company, and every customer should be converted to horrid Bell/Virgin mobile plans. Managers also don't care why you didn't sell that day, as they just care about numbers. This company will be run to the ground in a few years due to a few shortsighted people who don't know anything about managing.

2. Work atmosphere.

This really depends on which store you're located at. If you're in a high traffic big store, the atmosphere is always tense. Not only the upper managment literally expects you to convert every single customer to a Bell or Virgin Mobile user, you were expected to push push push push for a cellphone at every customer. As a result, there will – more... be tensions between coworkers on grabbing sales form each other.

3. Job advancement/ Recognition.

Absolutely no recognition in this company. Upper management doesn't care if you sold 200 phones in the last week. If you fail to sell one today, you don't get much shifts for the next week. There is absolutely no room for job advancement as the managers are already either been there forever or are directly hired into the company.

4. Salary

I guess as a retail job, you can only expect so much in salary and pay. You get paid minimum wage plus a few comissions on cellphones and warranties. If you're not good at selling, you will literally only get minimum wage while expected to do managerial duties. Constantly you will get threatened by management to be fired if you don't sell enough, which is ridiculous.
The only good things i have to say about the Source are my co-workers. Most of the time, they're really your only source of fun while working. Getting along with co-workers is especially important in a cut-throat working environment such as this. You also learn quite a lot about different products and how they work, plus also how cellphones are activated.

In conclusion, don't work for this company. It will save you a lot of headaches – less
Friendly work environment
Cashier (Current Employee), OldsJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: staff
Cons: not enough hours
Providing courteous and knowledgeable service to customers.
Very fast paced and stressful
staff (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: bonus', spiffs, commission
Cons: stressful environment
Overall store managers are great to work for, however, there is a lot of pressure to produce good sales numbers. Need to be able to handle stressful situations.
Co-Workers are fun, but too demanding and bad management
Full-time Sales Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2014
Pros: co-workers, and pay
Cons: long hours, bad management, unappreciative.
I have been there for about 4 months, and let me tell you its not what I expected. I used to work for a pure cellphone/home service company. The hours are long like 9-9 or 11-9 you can barley take a break sometimes because we were short-staffed. The push on sales is out of the world with too much demands and being treated bad when not meeting sales and praised when you do. Manager did absolutely nothing except sit in back. The checks are only good if you make a sales. You are expected to do too much for little pay such as clean, organize, price tags, receive shipments, cash out customers, update computer system. Only enjoyable part are my co-workers, but then again could be because we are all on the same boat. Just wish they wouldn't be pushy on sales, because I quite frankly am not and only want to have a happy customer.
The Source
Store Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2014
Great company, great colleagues, great benefits. A place where you can grow and be someone bigger due to company internal growth.
Great place too work, sometimes slow.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 24, 2014
Pros: fast advancement, ok pay, always fun playing with new electronics.
Cons: long hours, lots of heat from higher up management.
Great place to work, great benefits and pay, advanced in the company fast. Can be slow during off seasons and selling Bell and Virgin mobile services can sometimes make the job stressful yet rewarding most of the time.
high pressure sales environment
Seasonal sales associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 21, 2014
Pros: staff discount
Cons: high pressure, quotas enforced
This is a store that puts intense pressure on selling mobile and Bell services. High pressure and manipulation is encouraged/ enforced to ensure you meet sales quotas. The singular goal is to try to sell a cell phone or Bell service to everyone who walks into the store. The staff was nice and so was management but it is a high pressure and competitive sales environment.
Great place
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Burlington. ONOctober 30, 2014
Lots of fun, but also lots of pressure to sell. If you work hard, you can succeed, though.
Great place but out of business.
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee), Lethbridge AlbertaSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: loved it
Cons: gone
Commission computer and electronic sales, warranty sales, merchandising.
Exciting, always able to learn!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Georgetown, OntarioSeptember 10, 2014
Pros: awesome benefits, so much room and opportunity to advance quickly!
Cons: long commute for myself, long hours.
In a typical day as an assistant manager, I would spend time keeping the team motivated, in the know, and providing answers to questions or curiosities both from the staff and the customers.
I would assist customers with sales, technical support and personal issues with their Bell or Virgin services.
I maintained organization of paperwork and filing systems, staff information, and had a strong knowledge of product available for sale both within the present store or other locations, including an online shopping center. I maintained the cleanliness of the store with very high standards and ensured then staff understood the importance and necessity of those standards at all times.
Great workplace
Store Manager (Tier A) (Former Employee), ontarioAugust 5, 2014
Pros: benefits
* Fun atmosphere
* competitive
* love merchandising, and helping people build solutions
Fun and great workplace
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: too many pressure on selling.
mangement was amaizng, great place to work fun, educational and made me want to go to work everyday. just a great place to be in general.
Good pay, room for advancement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 22, 2014
Good pay, room for advancement. Emphasis on customer service and growing customer service skills.
Fun at first, but not so much lately
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 19, 2014
Pros: discounts, some medical/dental coverage, on a busy day commision
Cons: lack of raises, 3-5 hrs a day, vacations cut short, bullying
A typical day at work is when I come in the afternoon for my shift, manager goes over a daily planner. I have learned about different products of the store over the years. The management is unpredictable at best. It is difficult on getting a raise from him His moods are always different day by day. He can be playful at times while being somewhat of a bully at others, by texting you on a mistake that you made a few days back, while already feeling guilty. My co-workers can be great at times, but feel like I am in a 'cut throat' environment, with cell phone competition, while one talks to a customer on one day about buying a cell phone, then next the same customer goes to a different day while you are not there to sell it and the co worker or manager gets the sale and you don't get the commission. The hardest part of the job, is that I can not please everyone.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when new product comes in.
Really enjoyed it, great experience!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Cobourg, ONJune 17, 2014
The job was very interesting, I was a sales associate for both Bell Mobility Canada, and for The Source.
Excellent place to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 6, 2014
- Amazing place to work at.
- Great Team
- Great Atmosphere
- Challenging yet very interesting work
It was semi-productive but could use a good look at management.
Cashier/Assistant manager (Former Employee), Arnprior, ONMay 28, 2014
Pros: the paycheck.
Cons: everything else.
I would go in and pray for customers it really isn't that busy. I learned how to sell bell. I have no good words about management. The hardest part of the job was trying to be civil with management. The most enjoyable part of my day was leaving.
On Phone
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Greater Toronto Area, ONMay 27, 2014
Job Work/Life Balance - 5/10
Salary - 3/10
Benefits - 0/10
Job Security/Advancement - 2/10
Management - 4/10
Job Culture - 4/10
Fast-paced environment with an always changing product market.
Sales Associate/Shift Leader (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMay 13, 2014
A typical day for me consists of arriving early, doing daily communication and inventory management routines, then opening the doors to the public. In electronics there is always something new, but especially with The Source's focus on cellular service and wireless devices, the change comes that much faster. I learned to keep on top of all the news in my field of business not just our own. Always checking competitors offers to see where we stand and where our advantage is was key to closing the sale. Although I have never help an official management position I have performed managerial tasks for a majority of my time with The Source. My experience and drive lead my managers to leave me in charge of store operations during their absence for conferences held throughout the year. I enjoy the various competitions held internally to drive us to better sales goals, as well as the built in reward program for those who can perform well.
Fun place to interact with people while making sales
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONMay 9, 2014
Great place to start in retail if you enjoy talking to people and enjoy meeting and exceeding sales target, than it would be an ideal placement.

1 2 3 4 5

About The Source

As one of Canada’s leading Consumer Electronics and Wireless retailers with 650+ locations across Canada, The Source provides – Read more