The Source Employee Reviews

Fun workplace with lots of confusion.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB20 June 2017
I had a blast working at the Source. Of course you will have your off days with customers but at the end of the day you were kept busy with the amount of new tech always coming in to learn about and teach customers. Issues with the workplace have to be how they changed the manager 3 times in a very short amount of time, and the fact that every manager got worse as they kept switching them. One of the biggest issues was the lack of knowledge management had, or the lack of care they would put into solving an issue. Most things were ignored and we had to carry a heavier work load near the end of my days there because the new manager knew nothing about tech or phones (those are the 2 things you should really know working at The Source.) Before I left, we were all on a "PIP" which is a way to make sure you are meeting your quota in all areas or you will get a strike, and sooner later get let go. I still talk to the workers there because some of them are my friends and they say they are still on the PIP. They are only supposed to last 3 months, not half a year. From my understanding of what one of the associates told me, the DM forgot about the PIP's.
Pros
First look at new tech before out on shelves
Cons
Desperate need of reno's (kids have peed on the carpet)
fun place for IT students
Sales Associate/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2017
A typical day at the source, is sell, sell ,sell and sell phones! you if you love to talk about technology and want to spread the love of tech and how it can improve your life, then this is the place to work. staff and management was great. it felt like a small family working there. the hardest parts of this job would be dealing the customers who are unfamiliar with a product and claim its broken even though its a simple fix that the customer does not understand. the best part is have the advantage of seeing all the new tech before anyone else, especially with cell phones.
Pros
discounts
Cons
pressure to sell phones
Medium pay, flexible hours, good culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON17 June 2017
The Source was a fun environment to work in. Though the pay wasn't amazing the hours were flexible, the culture was good and the job security was there.
Great place to work depending on the location
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL and St. John's NL8 June 2017
I worked in my first location and it was great. My coworkers were enjoyable and manager was easy to get along with. Instructions for day to day activities and rules in the company were explained well. I worked in my second location and it wasn't so great. My coworkers didn't seem to enjoy their jobs and my manager was unprofessional and didn't seem to care about customers. My experience with the company overall makes me think there is some good and bad depending on who you work with.
Sales perspective
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  British Columbia8 June 2017
Mediocre atmosphere depending who you are assigned to work with, friendly staff. It is a business afterall, but afterall it is the source, not a dire straits mobile company. Even though it is gratifying helping a customer find their desired product or recommend a top tier item to make their day, at the end of the day on paper the companies stance is something as I described but merely words with no genuine foundation. It is easy to say things that flow down to lower levels amongst the company which sound nice, but in reality Bell really seems to only focus on mobile sales and generic cross selling, it is out of the store level mangers hands as they just do what they are then told. If you are happy with trying to push a phone onto every single customer that comes in than maybe this is for you, if you are interested in just selling people good products they wish for and recommend the best ideas to fit their description of what they would like to purchase than that is not enough to succeed in this company as Bells upper management seems to single handedly care about cell phone sales. The general employees are well educated with electronics which is beneficial at a customer level but does not save you from scrutiny amongst upper level mangement as said before, which is Bell related.
Pros
Positive coworkers, new electronics, customer satisfaction, making someones day with a good product.
Cons
Ominous scrutiny in regards to mobile sales, generic pushy cross selling, little job security if any. All or nothing management mentality, mostly top to down resulting in superficial scripted feedback.
Ability to make a decent wage is there if you push hard to sell but..
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 June 2017
Little room for advancement without selling a portion of your soul. I would recommend as a temporary job while looking for more career opportunities as most managers only care about results with little care for the what the customer really wants... they will push their house brand products even though they are junk because the mark ups are huge.
Pros
Can definately be a fun environment at times.
Cons
Even if you do good they say you can do better.
seasonal sales
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  High Level, AB2 June 2017
most of the beginning was all online work, module 1,2,3 etc, merchandising displays, opening and bringing out new inventory, answering questions about certain product knowledge, giving direction on how to use a product or the differences
Pros
nice discounts, great work team
Cons
its cold in alberta, long standing periods on sales floor
Fun place to work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 May 2017
Friendly atmosphere. I loved working as a team as well as individual. Most enjoyable part was achieving the goals as it was commission based job. Hardest part was coping with the job and study together.
No room for advancment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB23 May 2017
Working for the source is like being in high school all over again. Only the "popular" people get good treatment from management. the commission system is not worth the effort to sell.
Profitable employment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2017
A lot of opportunities to make good money, a bit of a boys club because of all the technology so it's difficult to break into as a girl. Owned by Bell so selling services not just goods.
Great experice
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE20 May 2017
This is a good job for meeting and interacting with new people. It is a comission based company so it keeps you wanting to be at your best.
There is consistently new gadgets to keep you entertained and with the latest devices.
Great people and fun
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2017
If you love electronics or a geek in tech this is for you. company is a great company to work for but the management is not all that and a lot of favoritism.
Great place to work part-time
Sales Associate and Technician (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 May 2017
One of the most diverse places in the nation. Average benefits. Great work place with life balance. Good management team but less chance of growth. The work pressure is a little much.
Pros
Life Balance
Cons
Less chances of growth within company
Amazing community, work like a family, and treating customers with honesty and respect.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 May 2017
Fun, exciting, very loving atmosphere, tough targets but great sense of enjoyment from hitting said targets. Sometimes the months can be quiet and because of that you feel down. Just keep your chin up and work hard.
Pros
Bell discounts, good customer service
Cons
Steadily increasing targets relative to your hours worked and your skill level.
Good place to work while in school
ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2017
Yes its a great place to be in while in school due to flexible work hours but the real problem in my eyes is in management they don't promote leaders and the people they do promote don't know how to lead and end up making the time you work with them not very enjoyable
Meh decent for a student, not a great career opportunity
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, ON9 May 2017
The job is fairly easy, especially if you like retail and sales. My biggest con for this job would be the amount of pressure management gives to sell "more bell". This is to be expected in sales, unfortunately you feel like you're never selling enough.
Pros
commission, excellent management
Cons
Pressure, no form of promotions
Sales Assosiate
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sooke, BC8 May 2017
Sold phones, electronics
Enjoyed the staff
Learned a lot about cell phones and electronics
Management was good but not consistent though
Hardest part was not having enough people coming in to purchase items. Business was slow in Sooke BC
Pros
Enjoyed the work and staff
Cons
Commision work Slow in Sooke
Lots of Opportunity - Great Work/Life Balance!
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 May 2017
- lots of opportunity for growth - part of Bell, so able to move seamlessly between business units, divisions, etc.

- focus on mental health & work/life balance - able to work remotely in Corporate careers, flexibility for scheduling, etc.
Pros
work remotely, strong leadership
fun place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Halton Hills, ON2 May 2017
very strict. service pride book is annoying. to many rules and other mangers treat employees like garbage. most of them are lazy and abuse their power
Fun place if good people, Company culture not the best
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON23 April 2017
A lot of pressure to sell, if you don't you are "costing the company money"

Don't value good customer service

Fun to work around technology and good people can make it a great experience

Customers can either be awesome or some of the worst you've had but I've had a lot of great experiences

The co-workers around me made it one of the best jobs I've ever had

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Source. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval