The Source Employee Reviews

The customers tend to be very nice!
Seasonal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ON21 November 2016
We often spend time helping customers figure out how to use their electronics or setting up their phones. I have learned so much about electronics and I really enjoy helping people understand their electronics. The most enjoyable part is helping customers and they tell you that you are very nice for helping them!
A wonderful Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 November 2016
I loved this job and miss it very much. The manager was absolutely amazing and so was the staff. I learnt about how to run a store and how to train other new managers for their own stores. The hardest part of the job was leaving actually and the best part of the job was how wonderful the team worked together.
Pros
The staff
Cons
The buy over from bell
the staff was nice to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC31 October 2016
They expected to much from u.. the hardest part of the job.. was trying push 2 cell phone a day.. in a small town.. my coworkers were is to work with.. The managerment was okay and somewhat easy to talk to..
Pros
working mall hours
Cons
when it came to work 5 hr shift.. you dont get breaks when you should get a 15 mins
very fun and exciting
Sales clerk (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB8 October 2016
everyday was thrill. working with long time friends made every moment enjoyable. the hardest part of working at the source was not the people I worked with nor the customers, leaving the store was the hardest part.
Pros
employee discounts, spectacular managment, positive environment
Cons
no place to sit on breaks made working 8 to 10 hour shifts almost
Splended
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fergus, ON22 September 2016
long, how to cell phones, can be unorganized - who isn't at times, co workers are great, some customers can be difficult - again who isn't at times, the environment
benefits
Cons
shift changes without notice
Fun and Enjoyable
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB8 September 2016
-Management was encouraging
-Enjoyed my co-workers
-Job position training was very detailed
-Working with customers and helping them with their needs
Not what it used to be
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Alliston, ON4 September 2016
This was a great company to work for before Bell took it over. The focus used to be on helping the customer find what they are looking for but now it's all about doing one thing, Selling Cell Phones.
Absolutely The Worst Management Position Ever
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 August 2016
Very poor communication and training for new managers. Extremely high expectations of staff and management on the sales floor. High commission sales pressure position. Sales and commission sales must be reported daily and goals achieved. High school like attitudes when those goals are not met. Very poor communication skills by most upper management. Overall not a place I'd recommend to work unless you can handle bull garbage and backstabbing.
Pros
Some discounts on items although not great
Cons
Way to many to list but #1 is upper management
Great work place, management is too pushy
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 July 2016
Great co workers, gained lots of experience, their training is really good as well. However the high up management is extremely pushy on staff to sell sell sell. It was a great job before they changed the pay structure to include commission and incentives.
Gotta love the retail environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 July 2016
It was fun working for the company, while it lasted. The company decided to close a lot of their stores down, however luckily enough I was able to transfer.
fun workplace great co workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK11 July 2016
would help customers where needed, would activate phone contracts able to multi task and the coworkers were very helpful when needed. the thing i most enjoyed was opening and closing the store, it gave me a good feeling that i was learning at a quicker speed.
Cons
not enough hours
Fun and high technology place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2016
Our days were filled with customers with technology, computer or cellphone concerns or requirements. I learned a lot of stuff about electronic, computer and cellphone technology. Management was okay. My co-workers were okay. Hardest part about the job was keeping up with new technology. Everyday was enjoyable at The Source.
Pros
High technology education
Cons
Low wages.
Extremely positive retail company with emphasis on sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2016
I learned how to sell here, with great managers and supervisors to train you throughout the process. I loved working at The Source.
Entertaining and tec savvy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB25 June 2016
Enjoyed being part of the team, up selling customers, fixing basic customer electronic issues, hardest part was probably the slow days when all the work was done, learned a bit about computers and cell phones
Just save yourself from the company, and don't bother
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 June 2016
Awful upper management, awful pay, cutthroat tactics encouraged to keep your job.
"Commission" plus minimum wage offered. Commission is generally only earned by one or two people out of a ten-plus member sales team due to the minimum sales amount to earn the commission bracket.

Spiff: The flat dollar amount you earn for selling something, generally Cellular. This is why you walk into a store and the pressure is on to have a new cell phone crammed down your throat. They generally don't care what you want, they want to move Core units (New activation on cellular) or sell whatever earns the most Spiff.

The company is owned by Bell, and they utilize it as an avenue for moving cellular at the expense of customer service or support for ANY of the heaps of other stuff they sell because that will not earn you anything.

There is a report called the 90 day, that ranks employees vs every other employee in the district. You have a multitude of metrics to be judged on, and that is it; nothing else matters in the business.
Pros
Cheep cell bills
Cons
Poor wage, high pressure, cutthroat, no culture, no loyalty to their employees
Learning Environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2016
I enjoy the personal interaction with the customers/members and assisting them with their banking needs.
I was also doing meeting arrangements with catering, which i enjoyed doing very much.
Pros
Opportunities to grow
Cons
Too Far
Great-paying job for part-timers, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 June 2016
Salary is minimum wage plus commission (max 5%) and 12% on warranties, plus base constants for service sales ($10 for a hardware upgrade). The company is very poorly run, however; we use a website called DayForce to book our availability and check our schedules and my most recent manager (though required by the policies of the company to book around my availability, which was quite open for a high school student) would frequently book me on days I couldn't work or during school hours and I had to repeatedly remind him of my availability. My coworkers were super friendly; I have no complaints on that front. Unfortunately for customers, The Source is getting rid of its small parts section which is what many have relied on us for over the years (as we sued to be Radio Shack) and since Bell has bought us out they are pushing their services at home and on mobile and not focusing on goods sales which they could profit greatly from. The best deals offered through Bell are offered at The Source, however.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, great pay
Cons
Company doesn't understand needs of customers, part timers required to work minimum 24 hours a week which doesn't leave much time for school work
Friendly and competitive work environment
Sales associate seasonal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB21 May 2016
Very friendly and positive work environment.
Cooperative and supportive management.
Learn t lot of things which really give good start to my carrier.
fun but high pressure
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  square one29 April 2016
i really do enjoy working at the source and i love the customer service aspect of the job like, uncovering needs, helping the customer satisfy there wants with high amount of product knowledge, but the high amount of pressure that is given to sell a phone service/phone when a customer walks in the store for an unrelated product makes me feel nervous at times. Also when the unsuccessful cross over from product to phone conversation happens you manager gives the, "what happened" eyes. overall disregarding the pressure i really enjoy helping customers with consumer electronics.
Pros
customer related experience
Cons
high load of pressure
Apologies
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON28 April 2016
It seems Indeed auto populated two duplicate positions. This is simply to reach the word count necessary to continue developing my profile.
Pros
Accidental
Cons
Hopefully I can delete at some point in this process