The Shoe Company Employee Reviews in Canada

productive and great environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
A great place to work, offers a lot of opportunities to strive and gain more skills, the staff offers a friendly environment for both the costumers and the staff
Pros
free movies/food, new friends
Cons
short shifts
strong communictation skills and professionalism
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 17, 2016
Get to work , punch in and start organizing shoes and help customers. I learned how to communicate with different types of people in different situations good and bad and how to handle them in a professional manner. Management was okay. Hardest part of the job was being overwhelmed with the customers demands. Enjoyable part about the job was being able to help with the customers needs and making them feel satisfied
Review
Manager on Duty/Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2016
• customer service, selling, up selling
• learned stock number system
• Management, unprofessional, lazy, did not follow standards
• Co-workers lazy, unprofessional, and did not follow standards
• The hardest part of the job, left by myself on the floor
• The most enjoyable part of the job making customers happy
Cons
Company did not set up direct deposit, and sent cheques only, an it was late all the time, as well spelt my name wrong
productive
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  ira needles the boardwalkDecember 15, 2015
I learned many skills such as leadership, I used to be shy but now im more open, etc. Everyday you went in and had a smile on your face and if you didn't, you would get a smile on your face. The workers are able to all take this job seriously but still have fun. Hardest part of the job is when we have a conflict with the flow of the store and have to switch shoes around or do a whole new flow. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the workers can have fun and joke around.
Pros
everyone is treated not only as workers, but family.
Cons
not getting enough hours.
it was okay
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 1, 2015
it was not the right job fit for me.
the hardest part of the job was keeping up with cleaning, i was often assigned more tasked than i was able to complete in the amount of time given and expected to do others jobs. the most enjoyable part of the job was cleaning and making the store look nice. i learned that retail is not the type of job i am interested in having ever again.
Productive and fun
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 7, 2015
An enthusiatic environment with a great support team. Everyone was friendly, and managment were very supportive. They were great in training me to assist customers with the best of my abilities.
fun work environment with great benefits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 4, 2015
Fun work environment, fast paced.
Learned how to think on the spot, multitask, and speak to strangers.
Management made sure all staff was on top of things, at all times.
Co-workers always looked out for eachother.
Hardest part of the job was making sure everyone was delighted, especially during peak hour (weekends).
Most enjoyable part of the job was the connecting with customers and co-workers, and of course- the benefits.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours
Cons
long hours, repetitive
Interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 4, 2015
Friendly co workers, excellent management when it comes to scheduling, learned how to work on commission. Best part of the job was the free shoes.
Pros
free shoes
Cons
Decent Job, Minimal Hours.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaJuly 3, 2015
The Shoe Company is an ideal place for a student to work, being they only give around two shifts a week and the shifts are maybe four hours each. Management was okay, they have good training programs but they seem to more monitor you than actually help out.
Pros
customer service experience
Cons
no hours
Productive and fun environment
SALES ASSOSIATE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2015
You generally will be assigned to a section (mens, kids or womens), walk around to make sure everything is clean and tidy. If a customer needs help you can go look for the size in inventory and answer questions.
Great place to work.
DEPARTMENT HEAD (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 17, 2015
Typical day includes maintaing the women's reparent is kept clean and tidy. Placing new inventory on shelves, and correctly maintaing the layout and displays for my department.
Manager on Duty
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Clock in
Figure out your tasks and complete in between customers and greets
Greet everyone, second greet
Customer Service
Up selling products and aim for goal
Close the store after customers leave
General store clean up
Drop off deposit at bank in pairs
home
Pros
Hours
Cons
Never paid me on time, sent cheque spelt my name wrong all the time
Eventful place to work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMay 20, 2015
Each day working on the floor is different then yesterday. Everyday something new happens and majority of the time it is exciting. With this being a new company to the area, I learn something new every shift. Just like every job you have your up and your downs and certain employee you can't stand to be around but the managers make the best of it and you make it through!
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short shifts
Productive place to learn to interact with customer and learn good customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Nice place with strong emphasis on customer service. Typical day consists of assisting customers find their needs in the store. Managing displays in store, and assisting sales staff.
Wonderful Productive Workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Sales made daily and such a friendly staff. Dutys and tasks were always complete by the end of the day. The work was quite easy with only few difficulties. I learned alot of data managment which helped me with not only this job but many others.
Pros
Cooperative coworkers
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 18, 2015
This job great for anyone who loves interacting with others loves shoes. a typical day at work would include finding shoes for customers, asking about the fit, greeting, climbing to get more shoes, answering questions and organizing. I learned that the way the way the customer feels about the atmosphere is extremely important because that determines if they would come back or not. The management at this job are excellent in terms of training, friendliness and suggestions. they can kindly tell you what you need to improve and they ask for suggestions on what they need to improve. the hardest part of this job is dealing with difficult customers who don't appreciate the fact that you are trying to help them. however, the most enjoyable part of the job is also interacting with the customers and making them happy.
Decent part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dundas and Winston ChurchillApril 4, 2015
Started working for the Shoe Company in January. The training seemed to focus more on greeting and regreeting customers rather than actual shoe knowledge or customer service. How many ways can I say hello? It's a mouthful what they expect you to say and comes off scripted and not genuine. A customer could ask me a question about a shoe and I'd have no idea. Because my training was focused on how to say hello 5 different ways a shift. I had to do training videos on my own time not paid for... This doesn't seem right to me. The training booklet was exhausting, and to fill it out I had to literally just copy what the main binder says. I've worked retail before, this is not effective training. I never received the shoonies I was supposed to get for completing training along with the customer service I provided. None. If I didn't do the work I was supposed to I wouldn't get paid so how do you get away with not giving something to an employee that you promise them upon hiring? Also found it odd how much attention was placed on vacuuming and mopping the store. As in, actually being graded on it. I applied to sell shoes and give customer service, to be honest vacuuming an entire store is not something I should have to put 120% effort into. The doors cannot be locked until ten minutes past closing, and you cannot tell a customer you are closing. That's having a lot of respect for your employees! My time is precious to me, I have other things planned with my own time, there is a reason you have a closing time and it should be stuck to. That one purchase won't make or break your sales.  more... However I'm graded on being there ten minutes before my shift? A little respect for your employees would go a long way. The discount was alright... But like I said never received my shoonies so the slogan of earn free shoes seems to be a lie to me. Now I am no longer an employee, I'm a customer and that left a sour taste in my mouth for this company as a whole. Plenty of of other places I'll probably shop now.

At first I enjoyed it, because I like working with people. However the way the staff acted as if everything can be put on the new girl (quite obvious) and how I didn't receive my shoonies, the atmosphere in general, I dreaded it. I had to leave for personal reasons, however if those had not arisen, I would have left anyway. The manager of this store was great though, I did enjoy working with her and she did seem to care about her employees and her customers. One of the only pleasant parts of working there! If I were you Shoe Company I would hold on to her!
Pros
discount, able to manage availability and see schedule online
Cons
didn't get what was promised upon starting, training book was exhaustive and didn't focus on what should matter. unpaid duties
Productive and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 12, 2015
A typical day included processing shipments and transfers while maintaining a clean and interesting display for customers. I also cashed customers with the utmost delightful customer service! I've learned skills including money, conversation, customers, file/paper work, and organization. The team I worked with was overall very efficient and professional. The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering so many new tasks given to me, which was also the best part because I got to challenge myself.
Great customer serice skils
Cashier, Manager of kids department (Former Employee) –  ABMarch 5, 2015
Learnt lots about customer service here, and got promoted to manager of kids department after showing how dedicated I was to working and doing my job correctly.
Pros
management
Cons
pay
A great place to gain retail experience
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 3, 2015
The Shoe Company was my first job, starting in the summer time I was thrown right into the chaos of the back-to-school rush. Starting off you're dealing with customers face to face, solving their problems and learning about the products quickly. As you gain more experience there you get more and more responsibility to handle. You'll eventually learn how to cash out customers, handle special and web orders, create visual displays, handle stock, and open and close tills. The hours will vary depending on the season, summertime around July/August and early September the store gets quite busy so you'll receive many hours. Then in the winter around when the first snow falls the store gets extremely busy with customers buying boots. Afterwards till about April it's quite slow. I learned quite a bit from my three years at The Shoe Company. It's a great place to help you gain some work experience in the retail industry,

2.9