The Shoe Company

The Shoe Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Decent Job, Minimal Hours.
Service Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaJuly 3, 2015
Pros: customer service experience
Cons: no hours
The Shoe Company is an ideal place for a student to work, being they only give around two shifts a week and the shifts are maybe four hours each. Management was okay, they have good training programs but they seem to more monitor you than actually help out.
Productive and fun environment
SALES ASSOSIATE (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 18, 2015
You generally will be assigned to a section (mens, kids or womens), walk around to make sure everything is clean and tidy. If a customer needs help you can go look for the size in inventory and answer questions.
Great place to work.
DEPARTMENT HEAD (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 17, 2015
Typical day includes maintaing the women's reparent is kept clean and tidy. Placing new inventory on shelves, and correctly maintaing the layout and displays for my department.
Manager on Duty
Manager on Duty (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Pros: Hours
Cons: Never paid me on time, sent cheque spelt my name wrong all the time
Clock in
Figure out your tasks and complete in between customers and greets
Greet everyone, second greet
Customer Service
Up selling products and aim for goal
Close the store after customers leave
General store clean up
Drop off deposit at bank in pairs
home
Eventful place to work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee), Orangeville, ONMay 20, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Short shifts
Each day working on the floor is different then yesterday. Everyday something new happens and majority of the time it is exciting. With this being a new company to the area, I learn something new every shift. Just like every job you have your up and your downs and certain employee you can't stand to be around but the managers make the best of it and you make it through!
Productive place to learn to interact with customer and learn good customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Nice place with strong emphasis on customer service. Typical day consists of assisting customers find their needs in the store. Managing displays in store, and assisting sales staff.
Wonderful Productive Workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Pros: Cooperative coworkers
Cons: Nothing
Sales made daily and such a friendly staff. Dutys and tasks were always complete by the end of the day. The work was quite easy with only few difficulties. I learned alot of data managment which helped me with not only this job but many others.
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 18, 2015
This job great for anyone who loves interacting with others loves shoes. a typical day at work would include finding shoes for customers, asking about the fit, greeting, climbing to get more shoes, answering questions and organizing. I learned that the way the way the customer feels about the atmosphere is extremely important because that determines if they would come back or not. The management at this job are excellent in terms of training, friendliness and suggestions. they can kindly tell you what you need to improve and they ask for suggestions on what they need to improve. the hardest part of this job is dealing with difficult customers who don't appreciate the fact that you are trying to help them. however, the most enjoyable part of the job is also interacting with the customers and making them happy.
Decent part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Dundas and Winston ChurchillApril 4, 2015
Pros: discount, able to manage availability and see schedule online
Cons: didn't get what was promised upon starting, training book was exhaustive and didn't focus on what should matter. unpaid duties
Started working for the Shoe Company in January. The training seemed to focus more on greeting and regreeting customers rather than actual shoe knowledge or customer service. How many ways can I say hello? It's a mouthful what they expect you to say and comes off scripted and not genuine. A customer could ask me a question about a shoe and I'd have no idea. Because my training was focused on how to say hello 5 different ways a shift. I had to do training videos on my own time not paid for... This doesn't seem right to me. The training booklet was exhausting, and to fill it out I had to literally just copy what the main binder says. I've worked retail before, this is not effective training. I never received the shoonies I was supposed to get for completing training along with the customer service I provided. None. If I didn't do the work I was supposed to I wouldn't get paid so how do you get away with not giving something to an employee that you promise them upon hiring? Also found it odd how much attention was placed on vacuuming and mopping the store. As in, actually being graded on it. I applied to sell shoes and give customer service, to be honest vacuuming an entire store is not something I should have to put 120% effort into. The doors cannot be locked until ten minutes past closing, and you cannot tell a customer you are closing. That's having a lot of respect for your employees! My time is precious to me, I have other things planned with my own time, there is a reason you have a closing time and it should be stuck to. That one purchase won't make or break your sales. – more... However I'm graded on being there ten minutes before my shift? A little respect for your employees would go a long way. The discount was alright... But like I said never received my shoonies so the slogan of earn free shoes seems to be a lie to me. Now I am no longer an employee, I'm a customer and that left a sour taste in my mouth for this company as a whole. Plenty of of other places I'll probably shop now.

At first I enjoyed it, because I like working with people. However the way the staff acted as if everything can be put on the new girl (quite obvious) and how I didn't receive my shoonies, the atmosphere in general, I dreaded it. I had to leave for personal reasons, however if those had not arisen, I would have left anyway. The manager of this store was great though, I did enjoy working with her and she did seem to care about her employees and her customers. One of the only pleasant parts of working there! If I were you Shoe Company I would hold on to her! – less
Productive and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONMarch 12, 2015
A typical day included processing shipments and transfers while maintaining a clean and interesting display for customers. I also cashed customers with the utmost delightful customer service! I've learned skills including money, conversation, customers, file/paper work, and organization. The team I worked with was overall very efficient and professional. The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering so many new tasks given to me, which was also the best part because I got to challenge myself.
Great customer serice skils
Cashier, Manager of kids department (Former Employee), ABMarch 5, 2015
Pros: management
Cons: pay
Learnt lots about customer service here, and got promoted to manager of kids department after showing how dedicated I was to working and doing my job correctly.
A great place to gain retail experience
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 3, 2015
The Shoe Company was my first job, starting in the summer time I was thrown right into the chaos of the back-to-school rush. Starting off you're dealing with customers face to face, solving their problems and learning about the products quickly. As you gain more experience there you get more and more responsibility to handle. You'll eventually learn how to cash out customers, handle special and web orders, create visual displays, handle stock, and open and close tills. The hours will vary depending on the season, summertime around July/August and early September the store gets quite busy so you'll receive many hours. Then in the winter around when the first snow falls the store gets extremely busy with customers buying boots. Afterwards till about April it's quite slow. I learned quite a bit from my three years at The Shoe Company. It's a great place to help you gain some work experience in the retail industry,
THE WORSE PLACE TO WORK IN SUDBURY
Sales associate (Former Employee), Sudbury, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: great discounts
Cons: you'll leave work crying and hating yourself
The most horrific job I have EVER had. The manager is so incredibly rude to everyone. She likes to yell at staff infront of costumers, swear at them, call them names, and be in the worst mood possible 24/7. The boss at the shoe company CLEARLY hates her job. The assistant manager straight up called me and several other employees "obese", "b*tches" and other hurtful things, and once reported to the manager, she DIDNT EVEN CARE! She didnt do a thing about it. I tried to report these incidents to head office, and head office straight up told me they didnt believe me.
Best coworkers
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee), calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: hours
Best coworkers but unorganized company. It's a fun experience working there but you feel discouraged because the company does not seem to care about the workers. You can get fired from literally anything without a chance to explain.
Fun place to work!
Key holder/Manager on Duty (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Great work environment, enjoyable work and good management. Typical day includes greeting customers and assisting customers in finding shoes. Co workers are great and super friendly!
Good company, Great shoes
Department Manager (Former Employee), Bathurst and LawrenceFebruary 9, 2015
Enjoyed working here, great staff and exceptional shoes. Excellent music selection keeps the work environment positive and upbeat.
Inefficient management with unreasonable expectations and a non welcoming work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2015
At work you were unable to converse with your fellow staff members under any circumstances unless management needed you to tell them something, which generated a very secluded and unappealing work environment. The standards of customer service were exceptional and I admired their approach to customer satisfaction. Management was very indecisive when it came to decision making.
Great quality of work and co-workers are amazing!
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 30, 2015
Cleaned and maintained the store while gave advice for shoes based on the fit, comfort, and style as per customers’ requests. Provided customer service, handled money and bagged items.
Cost>Reward
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Vaughan MillsJanuary 27, 2015
The Shoe Company brand seems to think that they're a designer store, not a wannabe fancy warehouse. They'll work you like you're getting a commission when you're just getting a minimum wage and thats it. Unless you're full time don't expect to get more than 3 shifts a week.
The Shoe Company
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Current Employee), Charlottetown, PEJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere, great staff
Cons: not enough hours
It's a great place to work, there's a great atmosphere. The managers were great, and I loved the majority of my coworkers, most customers were really friendly and looked up to you for advice and help. The only things I didn't like were the lack of hours, and the fact that you were "graded" at the end of your shift.

1 2 3