The Shoe Company Employee Reviews

There was no team work and no work-life balance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2016
Although the reason I left this company was to pursue education, I would not work there again or suggest other people work there simply due the toxic environment and lack of work-life balance.

I do not know if the company as a whole was like this or if it was just the location I worked at, but people were constantly throwing each other under the bus, blaming the others when tasks could not be completed and bullying the younger staff (I personally chose to not participate in any of these activities). Due to this almost everybody working there were constantly stressed and relationships were strained.

There was completely no notice before being called in on your days off, and this seemed to be a regular occurrence.

The Company also seemed unorganized.
Pros
Discounted shoes
Cons
toxic, lonely environment/ no work-life balance.
strong communictation skills and professionalism
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 17, 2016
Get to work , punch in and start organizing shoes and help customers. I learned how to communicate with different types of people in different situations good and bad and how to handle them in a professional manner. Management was okay. Hardest part of the job was being overwhelmed with the customers demands. Enjoyable part about the job was being able to help with the customers needs and making them feel satisfied
Review
Manager on Duty/Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2016
• customer service, selling, up selling
• learned stock number system
• Management, unprofessional, lazy, did not follow standards
• Co-workers lazy, unprofessional, and did not follow standards
• The hardest part of the job, left by myself on the floor
• The most enjoyable part of the job making customers happy
Cons
Company did not set up direct deposit, and sent cheques only, an it was late all the time, as well spelt my name wrong
productive and great environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 1, 2016
A great place to work, offers a lot of opportunities to strive and gain more skills, the staff offers a friendly environment for both the costumers and the staff
Pros
free movies/food, new friends
Cons
short shifts
productive
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  ira needles the boardwalkDecember 15, 2015
I learned many skills such as leadership, I used to be shy but now im more open, etc. Everyday you went in and had a smile on your face and if you didn't, you would get a smile on your face. The workers are able to all take this job seriously but still have fun. Hardest part of the job is when we have a conflict with the flow of the store and have to switch shoes around or do a whole new flow. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the workers can have fun and joke around.
Pros
everyone is treated not only as workers, but family.
Cons
not getting enough hours.
it was okay
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 1, 2015
it was not the right job fit for me.
the hardest part of the job was keeping up with cleaning, i was often assigned more tasked than i was able to complete in the amount of time given and expected to do others jobs. the most enjoyable part of the job was cleaning and making the store look nice. i learned that retail is not the type of job i am interested in having ever again.
fun work environment with great benefits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 4, 2015
Fun work environment, fast paced.
Learned how to think on the spot, multitask, and speak to strangers.
Management made sure all staff was on top of things, at all times.
Co-workers always looked out for eachother.
Hardest part of the job was making sure everyone was delighted, especially during peak hour (weekends).
Most enjoyable part of the job was the connecting with customers and co-workers, and of course- the benefits.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours
Cons
long hours, repetitive
Eventful place to work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMay 20, 2015
Each day working on the floor is different then yesterday. Everyday something new happens and majority of the time it is exciting. With this being a new company to the area, I learn something new every shift. Just like every job you have your up and your downs and certain employee you can't stand to be around but the managers make the best of it and you make it through!
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short shifts
Productive and fun
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 7, 2015
An enthusiatic environment with a great support team. Everyone was friendly, and managment were very supportive. They were great in training me to assist customers with the best of my abilities.
Manager on Duty
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Clock in
Figure out your tasks and complete in between customers and greets
Greet everyone, second greet
Customer Service
Up selling products and aim for goal
Close the store after customers leave
General store clean up
Drop off deposit at bank in pairs
home
Pros
Hours
Cons
Never paid me on time, sent cheque spelt my name wrong all the time
Decent Job, Minimal Hours.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaJuly 3, 2015
The Shoe Company is an ideal place for a student to work, being they only give around two shifts a week and the shifts are maybe four hours each. Management was okay, they have good training programs but they seem to more monitor you than actually help out.
Pros
customer service experience
Cons
no hours
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 18, 2015
This job great for anyone who loves interacting with others loves shoes. a typical day at work would include finding shoes for customers, asking about the fit, greeting, climbing to get more shoes, answering questions and organizing. I learned that the way the way the customer feels about the atmosphere is extremely important because that determines if they would come back or not. The management at this job are excellent in terms of training, friendliness and suggestions. they can kindly tell you what you need to improve and they ask for suggestions on what they need to improve. the hardest part of this job is dealing with difficult customers who don't appreciate the fact that you are trying to help them. however, the most enjoyable part of the job is also interacting with the customers and making them happy.
Productive and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 12, 2015
A typical day included processing shipments and transfers while maintaining a clean and interesting display for customers. I also cashed customers with the utmost delightful customer service! I've learned skills including money, conversation, customers, file/paper work, and organization. The team I worked with was overall very efficient and professional. The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering so many new tasks given to me, which was also the best part because I got to challenge myself.
THE WORSE PLACE TO WORK IN SUDBURY
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 3, 2015
The most horrific job I have EVER had. The manager is so incredibly rude to everyone. She likes to yell at staff infront of costumers, swear at them, call them names, and be in the worst mood possible 24/7. The boss at the shoe company CLEARLY hates her job. The assistant manager straight up called me and several other employees "obese", "b*tches" and other hurtful things, and once reported to the manager, she DIDNT EVEN CARE! She didnt do a thing about it. I tried to report these incidents to head office, and head office straight up told me they didnt believe me.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
you'll leave work crying and hating yourself
Inefficient management with unreasonable expectations and a non welcoming work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2015
At work you were unable to converse with your fellow staff members under any circumstances unless management needed you to tell them something, which generated a very secluded and unappealing work environment. The standards of customer service were exceptional and I admired their approach to customer satisfaction. Management was very indecisive when it came to decision making.
Wonderful Productive Workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2015
Sales made daily and such a friendly staff. Dutys and tasks were always complete by the end of the day. The work was quite easy with only few difficulties. I learned alot of data managment which helped me with not only this job but many others.
Pros
Cooperative coworkers
Productive and fun environment
SALES ASSOSIATE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2015
You generally will be assigned to a section (mens, kids or womens), walk around to make sure everything is clean and tidy. If a customer needs help you can go look for the size in inventory and answer questions.
Interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 4, 2015
Friendly co workers, excellent management when it comes to scheduling, learned how to work on commission. Best part of the job was the free shoes.
Pros
free shoes
Cons
Productive place to learn to interact with customer and learn good customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 3, 2015
Nice place with strong emphasis on customer service. Typical day consists of assisting customers find their needs in the store. Managing displays in store, and assisting sales staff.
The Shoe Company
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PEJanuary 10, 2015
It's a great place to work, there's a great atmosphere. The managers were great, and I loved the majority of my coworkers, most customers were really friendly and looked up to you for advice and help. The only things I didn't like were the lack of hours, and the fact that you were "graded" at the end of your shift.
Pros
friendly atmosphere, great staff
Cons
not enough hours

2.9