The Shoe Company

The Shoe Company Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Horrible
Senior Visual Coordinator (Current Employee), BramptonJuly 30, 2014
Hard to get a promotion. The management is run by an old team that isn't going anywhere. Hardest part of the job going in for shifts. Most enjoyable leaving!
Most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJune 4, 2014
Cons: extended hours
This specific Shoe Company is located at the mall. You meet different people every day from different parts on the country and world.
Lifeless, Low paying, Dead end
WCS Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2014
Pros: free shoes
Cons: low pay, on call shifts, management, pathetic script
Micro managed to a tee, ridiculous script and processes to ensure customers are "delighted". Customers sometimes take advantage and walk all over you. The company does not care about their employees and do the absolute bare minimum for them.

For example: The budget for the store Christmas party was around $150.00 for a roster of 10 people. We had to – more... eat dinner at our manager's home whom none of us liked because that's about all we could do with the budget.

There is no commission, which is good because there is no pressure but they still expect you to make sales and the incentive is "Shoe Dollars". A sad medal system where $1 increments are rewarded for discounts off shoes. Well that's great, but I can't pay rent with Shoenies. Yeah...they're called shoenies.

So in short...The Shoe Company is really cheap, and they couldn't care less about their employees. There are plenty of better places to work. – less
********WARNING- WARNING-WARNING********
Department Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioMarch 29, 2014
Pros: discounts on shoes
Cons: pay, hours, lack of training, high stress
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
Awful experience. Work you to the bone and no pay. Expected to work your butt off and managers take the credit.
fun enviroment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2014
Everythuing was great about this job enjoyed the other housekeepers
A very fun and energetic work environment!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Surrey, BCMarch 5, 2014
The Shoe Company is not your typical shoe store. Everyone cares about their clients, we treat our customers like friends. I very much enjoy getting to work with a lot of different people!
Great place to work with a good team
Visualy Product Manager (Current Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 10, 2014
. Receive new stock
. Transfer out stock
.Process all new stock
. Merchandise all new stock
.Responsible for all store dispalys/flows of product
Lighthearted staff with customer service dedication.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 1, 2014
Friendly and easygoing work environment with a focus on customer satisfaction.
Fun, laid back, comfortable working environment, amazing co-workers
Floor sales/cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: discounted shoes
Cons: low pay
I used to open on weekends and work closing during the week. This job taught me the best customer service techniques and how to learn things quickly, it also taught me inventory and the beginnings of being an assistant manager. My co-workers were all roughly my age which made it easier to talk to them and build a better work relationship with them all – more... making the store a happier and more inviting place to shop. The hardest part of the job was finding what the customer wanted when they themselves had no idea either. The best part of the job was giving someone exactly what they needed when the had no idea what they wanted and the gratitude they showed after. – less
Productive and fun work place with connected people.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: major discounts on sale items.
Cons: not much growth to be done within.
The Shoe Company has a great work environment and an excelling place to obtain experience working with other customers. It allows you to humble yourself and understand their troubles as well as helps you develop problem solving skills, separate from those often found out of the work place. The managers are approachable and understanding, allowing for – more... a sense of ease. The hardest part of the job would have to be letting down a customer. The easiest part is when you have the answers ready and can assist the customer. – less
Was fun learning a new area of retail
Associate Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton AlbertaJanuary 1, 2014
The Shoe Company was my first step out of clothing retail so it was fun learning the footwear end of retail.

I was hired as an Associate Manager which meant I was responsible for all the jobs the manager did but with out the bonus each month. I was the training manager as well as the stock manager. I worked really well with the general manager of the – more... store because we complimented each others skills and abilities

My general manager was one of the best I have had in my time in retail and I learned a lot from him, however the corporate management wasn't so educational. I wanted to advance in the company but was told because I didn't have a University education that was not going to happen. – less
Very unorganized
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), markham,OnDecember 19, 2013
Co- workers were great
learned how to sell shoes
as well as use the cash register
very unorganized, get called in at random times of the day
working with my co workers
Slow Pace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), TorontoDecember 12, 2013
The location I worked at was slow paced, and had little customer variety.
Hard working staff.
Stock Manager/VPM (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 7, 2013
Pros: earned medals towards shoes/boots.
Cons: very part-times hours.
My experience was generally good. I learned how to follow strict guidelines regarding store requirements for look and feel that the head office created for each of its stores.
I had an amazing staff of fellow employees.
Do not consider realities of time management
Manager (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONOctober 1, 2013
Pros: shoe dollars, fairly good training programs for management
Cons: long hours, no life/work balance
The company doesn't give enough hours for the work they expect to be done. Their visual directives are a joke. From my experience district managers do not visit the store enough, but expect perfection without any direction. Some Assistant managers are not only expected to help the Manager, but are also expected to run a department as well, but are not – more... paid to do both jobs. There is no hours given for consistant staff meetings, when hours are alotted they do not come close to what you would need, so you are expected to also cut hours from other areas while continuing to give the same service. Staff are expected to do a training manual but are not given the training hours so they generally do not get completed causing a landslide of problems with the staff in the future. – less
Customer Oriented
Visual Product Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 21, 2013
The company has an operating policy designed solely around the ease of customer shopping and customer satisfaction. There is a lot expected of a team member but the work atmosphere is very considerate of this and help is always available.
Fun workplace, great training!
Store Manager (Former Employee), BurlingtonJune 13, 2013
Pros: shoe bucks
Cons: expected to work every friday closing and every saturday. no life
Everyday was something different. I learned performance and time management. I loved training staff and truly enjoyed the customer service. The hardest part of the job was dealing with staff that had very close relationships with my DM, there for making it impossible to execute action plans regarding performance. No support in these situations.
Fun professional environment !
Product and Visual manager (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 5, 2013
Pros: great benefits, rewards
Cons: very busy
Great place to work with amazing staff. Management is awesome as well as cooworkers.
Great Work Place
Cashier/ Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hamilton Ontario and London OntarioMay 22, 2013
Very pleasant work place
Customers and staff both very friendly
Work load was challenging but not overwhelming
Productive and Challenge
Manager (Former Employee), Pickering, ONFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: free shoes
Cons: half and hour wkends lunch
Enjoyable
Customer always a priority #1
Teambuilding
Great and easy staff
Clients try to walkaway with non-pay merchandise
Reach weekly goals