The Shoe Company Employee Reviews

Nice first job, friendly management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON14 November 2016
When the store is busy, it's an easy place to work in, as most associates are used to fast-paced work environnements. Management is extremely friendly and likeable; not as efficient training however they look out for its employees. Perfect customer service is a must at all times while interacting with customers as well as quick and efficient tasks to be done.
High energy workplace, very busy and always challenging
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 October 2016
The Shoe Company was my all-time favourite job for many reasons. I advanced from key-holder to store manager; I even relocated to advance my career there. In hindsight, I wish that it wouldn't have taken such a toll on my family life, or I would still be employed there.
Pros
rewards for success
Cons
There was no team work and no work-life balance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2016
Although the reason I left this company was to pursue education, I would not work there again or suggest other people work there simply due the toxic environment and lack of work-life balance.

I do not know if the company as a whole was like this or if it was just the location I worked at, but people were constantly throwing each other under the bus, blaming the others when tasks could not be completed and bullying the younger staff (I personally chose to not participate in any of these activities). Due to this almost everybody working there were constantly stressed and relationships were strained.

There was completely no notice before being called in on your days off, and this seemed to be a regular occurrence.

The Company also seemed unorganized.
Pros
Discounted shoes
Cons
toxic, lonely environment/ no work-life balance.
okay. satisfactory
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 November 2016
it was good., learned quite a bit at first and it was a good learning experience in the retail aspect for being an employee within the establishment ..
Cons
standing around and not having anything to do
strong communictation skills and professionalism
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 May 2016
Get to work , punch in and start organizing shoes and help customers. I learned how to communicate with different types of people in different situations good and bad and how to handle them in a professional manner. Management was okay. Hardest part of the job was being overwhelmed with the customers demands. Enjoyable part about the job was being able to help with the customers needs and making them feel satisfied
Shoe Company
Sales Person (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON16 December 2016
This is a great job to have, the working environment is always comforting and welcoming, the deals on the shoes were amazing and I loved buying the shoes.
good stable job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON13 December 2016
was a great job meet a lot of good people great to learn sales they have tons of benefits and incentives hours are great most of the management was great.
baker
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON6 December 2016
the place shut down but working there was like working with family. It was the best years of my life. Not to mention it was probably one of my favourite jobs.
Review
Manager on Duty/Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 March 2016
• customer service, selling, up selling
• learned stock number system
• Management, unprofessional, lazy, did not follow standards
• Co-workers lazy, unprofessional, and did not follow standards
• The hardest part of the job, left by myself on the floor
• The most enjoyable part of the job making customers happy
Cons
Company did not set up direct deposit, and sent cheques only, an it was late all the time, as well spelt my name wrong
productive and great environment
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 June 2016
A great place to work, offers a lot of opportunities to strive and gain more skills, the staff offers a friendly environment for both the costumers and the staff
Pros
free movies/food, new friends
Cons
short shifts
Fun Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 June 2016
It is a great place to work that develops interpersonal skills, builds knowledge of shoes, and provides a great deal of experience in the work field. It is a fun place to work.
productive
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  ira needles the boardwalk15 December 2015
I learned many skills such as leadership, I used to be shy but now im more open, etc. Everyday you went in and had a smile on your face and if you didn't, you would get a smile on your face. The workers are able to all take this job seriously but still have fun. Hardest part of the job is when we have a conflict with the flow of the store and have to switch shoes around or do a whole new flow. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the workers can have fun and joke around.
Pros
everyone is treated not only as workers, but family.
Cons
not getting enough hours.
it was okay
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 November 2015
it was not the right job fit for me.
the hardest part of the job was keeping up with cleaning, i was often assigned more tasked than i was able to complete in the amount of time given and expected to do others jobs. the most enjoyable part of the job was cleaning and making the store look nice. i learned that retail is not the type of job i am interested in having ever again.
fun work environment with great benefits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 September 2015
Fun work environment, fast paced.
Learned how to think on the spot, multitask, and speak to strangers.
Management made sure all staff was on top of things, at all times.
Co-workers always looked out for eachother.
Hardest part of the job was making sure everyone was delighted, especially during peak hour (weekends).
Most enjoyable part of the job was the connecting with customers and co-workers, and of course- the benefits.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours
Cons
long hours, repetitive
Eventful place to work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ON20 May 2015
Each day working on the floor is different then yesterday. Everyday something new happens and majority of the time it is exciting. With this being a new company to the area, I learn something new every shift. Just like every job you have your up and your downs and certain employee you can't stand to be around but the managers make the best of it and you make it through!
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short shifts
Manager on Duty
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2015
Clock in
Figure out your tasks and complete in between customers and greets
Greet everyone, second greet
Customer Service
Up selling products and aim for goal
Close the store after customers leave
General store clean up
Drop off deposit at bank in pairs
home
Pros
Hours
Cons
Never paid me on time, sent cheque spelt my name wrong all the time
Productive and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 March 2015
A typical day included processing shipments and transfers while maintaining a clean and interesting display for customers. I also cashed customers with the utmost delightful customer service! I've learned skills including money, conversation, customers, file/paper work, and organization. The team I worked with was overall very efficient and professional. The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering so many new tasks given to me, which was also the best part because I got to challenge myself.
THE WORSE PLACE TO WORK IN SUDBURY
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON3 March 2015
The most horrific job I have EVER had. The manager is so incredibly rude to everyone. She likes to yell at staff infront of costumers, swear at them, call them names, and be in the worst mood possible 24/7. The boss at the shoe company CLEARLY hates her job. The assistant manager straight up called me and several other employees "obese", "b*tches" and other hurtful things, and once reported to the manager, she DIDNT EVEN CARE! She didnt do a thing about it. I tried to report these incidents to head office, and head office straight up told me they didnt believe me.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
you'll leave work crying and hating yourself
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 April 2015
This job great for anyone who loves interacting with others loves shoes. a typical day at work would include finding shoes for customers, asking about the fit, greeting, climbing to get more shoes, answering questions and organizing. I learned that the way the way the customer feels about the atmosphere is extremely important because that determines if they would come back or not. The management at this job are excellent in terms of training, friendliness and suggestions. they can kindly tell you what you need to improve and they ask for suggestions on what they need to improve. the hardest part of this job is dealing with difficult customers who don't appreciate the fact that you are trying to help them. however, the most enjoyable part of the job is also interacting with the customers and making them happy.
Decent Job, Minimal Hours.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta3 July 2015
The Shoe Company is an ideal place for a student to work, being they only give around two shifts a week and the shifts are maybe four hours each. Management was okay, they have good training programs but they seem to more monitor you than actually help out.
Pros
customer service experience
Cons
no hours

The Shoe Company Reviews by Location