The Shoe Company

The Shoe Company Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONMarch 12, 2015
A typical day included processing shipments and transfers while maintaining a clean and interesting display for customers. I also cashed customers with the utmost delightful customer service! I've learned skills including money, conversation, customers, file/paper work, and organization. The team I worked with was overall very efficient and professional. The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering so many new tasks given to me, which was also the best part because I got to challenge myself.
Great customer serice skils
Cashier, Manager of kids department (Former Employee), ABMarch 5, 2015
Pros: management
Cons: pay
Learnt lots about customer service here, and got promoted to manager of kids department after showing how dedicated I was to working and doing my job correctly.
A great place to gain retail experience
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 3, 2015
The Shoe Company was my first job, starting in the summer time I was thrown right into the chaos of the back-to-school rush. Starting off you're dealing with customers face to face, solving their problems and learning about the products quickly. As you gain more experience there you get more and more responsibility to handle. You'll eventually learn how to cash out customers, handle special and web orders, create visual displays, handle stock, and open and close tills. The hours will vary depending on the season, summertime around July/August and early September the store gets quite busy so you'll receive many hours. Then in the winter around when the first snow falls the store gets extremely busy with customers buying boots. Afterwards till about April it's quite slow. I learned quite a bit from my three years at The Shoe Company. It's a great place to help you gain some work experience in the retail industry,
THE WORSE PLACE TO WORK IN SUDBURY
Sales associate (Former Employee), Sudbury, ONMarch 3, 2015
Pros: great discounts
Cons: you'll leave work crying and hating yourself
The most horrific job I have EVER had. The manager is so incredibly rude to everyone. She likes to yell at staff infront of costumers, swear at them, call them names, and be in the worst mood possible 24/7. The boss at the shoe company CLEARLY hates her job. The assistant manager straight up called me and several other employees "obese", "b*tches" and other hurtful things, and once reported to the manager, she DIDNT EVEN CARE! She didnt do a thing about it. I tried to report these incidents to head office, and head office straight up told me they didnt believe me.
Best coworkers
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee), calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: hours
Best coworkers but unorganized company. It's a fun experience working there but you feel discouraged because the company does not seem to care about the workers. You can get fired from literally anything without a chance to explain.
Fun place to work!
Key holder/Manager on Duty (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Great work environment, enjoyable work and good management. Typical day includes greeting customers and assisting customers in finding shoes. Co workers are great and super friendly!
Good company, Great shoes
Department Manager (Former Employee), Bathurst and LawrenceFebruary 9, 2015
Enjoyed working here, great staff and exceptional shoes. Excellent music selection keeps the work environment positive and upbeat.
Inefficient management with unreasonable expectations and a non welcoming work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2015
At work you were unable to converse with your fellow staff members under any circumstances unless management needed you to tell them something, which generated a very secluded and unappealing work environment. The standards of customer service were exceptional and I admired their approach to customer satisfaction. Management was very indecisive when it came to decision making.
Great quality of work and co-workers are amazing!
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee), St. John's, NLJanuary 30, 2015
Cleaned and maintained the store while gave advice for shoes based on the fit, comfort, and style as per customers’ requests. Provided customer service, handled money and bagged items.
Cost>Reward
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Vaughan MillsJanuary 27, 2015
The Shoe Company brand seems to think that they're a designer store, not a wannabe fancy warehouse. They'll work you like you're getting a commission when you're just getting a minimum wage and thats it. Unless you're full time don't expect to get more than 3 shifts a week.
The Shoe Company
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Current Employee), Charlottetown, PEJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: friendly atmosphere, great staff
Cons: not enough hours
It's a great place to work, there's a great atmosphere. The managers were great, and I loved the majority of my coworkers, most customers were really friendly and looked up to you for advice and help. The only things I didn't like were the lack of hours, and the fact that you were "graded" at the end of your shift.
Great!
DEPT MANAGER/KEYHOLDER (Former Employee), BurnabyOctober 11, 2014
Great Management team! Always there if i need of help. flexible work hours
Great place to work.
Manager (Former Employee), WindsorAugust 6, 2014
Pros: amazing dm
Cons: stock load
Mondays would be paperwork. Tuesday and Thursday would be stock. Wednesday would be markdowns/new promo set ups.
Horrible
Senior Visual Coordinator (Current Employee), BramptonJuly 30, 2014
Hard to get a promotion. The management is run by an old team that isn't going anywhere. Hardest part of the job going in for shifts. Most enjoyable leaving!
Most enjoyable part of the job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONJune 4, 2014
Cons: extended hours
This specific Shoe Company is located at the mall. You meet different people every day from different parts on the country and world.
Lifeless, Low paying, Dead end
WCS Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 27, 2014
Pros: free shoes
Cons: low pay, on call shifts, management, pathetic script
Micro managed to a tee, ridiculous script and processes to ensure customers are "delighted". Customers sometimes take advantage and walk all over you. The company does not care about their employees and do the absolute bare minimum for them.

For example: The budget for the store Christmas party was around $150.00 for a roster of 10 people. We had to eat dinner at our manager's home whom none of us liked because that's about all we could do with the budget.

There is no commission, which is good because there is no pressure but they still expect you to make sales and the incentive is "Shoe Dollars". A sad medal system where $1 increments are rewarded for discounts off shoes. Well that's great, but I can't pay rent with Shoenies. Yeah...they're called shoenies.

So in short...The Shoe Company is really cheap, and they couldn't care less about their employees. There are plenty of better places to work.
********WARNING- WARNING-WARNING********
Department Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, OntarioMarch 29, 2014
Pros: discounts on shoes
Cons: pay, hours, lack of training, high stress
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
Awful experience. Work you to the bone and no pay. Expected to work your butt off and managers take the credit.
fun enviroment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2014
Everythuing was great about this job enjoyed the other housekeepers
A very fun and energetic work environment!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Surrey, BCMarch 5, 2014
The Shoe Company is not your typical shoe store. Everyone cares about their clients, we treat our customers like friends. I very much enjoy getting to work with a lot of different people!
Great place to work with a good team
Visualy Product Manager (Current Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 10, 2014
. Receive new stock
. Transfer out stock
.Process all new stock
. Merchandise all new stock
.Responsible for all store dispalys/flows of product