The Shoe Company Employee Reviews in Canada

fun work environment with great benefits.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 4, 2015
Fun work environment, fast paced.
Learned how to think on the spot, multitask, and speak to strangers.
Management made sure all staff was on top of things, at all times.
Co-workers always looked out for eachother.
Hardest part of the job was making sure everyone was delighted, especially during peak hour (weekends).
Most enjoyable part of the job was the connecting with customers and co-workers, and of course- the benefits.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours
Cons
long hours, repetitive
Review
Manager on Duty/Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2016
• customer service, selling, up selling
• learned stock number system
• Management, unprofessional, lazy, did not follow standards
• Co-workers lazy, unprofessional, and did not follow standards
• The hardest part of the job, left by myself on the floor
• The most enjoyable part of the job making customers happy
Cons
Company did not set up direct deposit, and sent cheques only, an it was late all the time, as well spelt my name wrong
productive
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  ira needles the boardwalkDecember 15, 2015
I learned many skills such as leadership, I used to be shy but now im more open, etc. Everyday you went in and had a smile on your face and if you didn't, you would get a smile on your face. The workers are able to all take this job seriously but still have fun. Hardest part of the job is when we have a conflict with the flow of the store and have to switch shoes around or do a whole new flow. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the workers can have fun and joke around.
Pros
everyone is treated not only as workers, but family.
Cons
not getting enough hours.
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 18, 2015
This job great for anyone who loves interacting with others loves shoes. a typical day at work would include finding shoes for customers, asking about the fit, greeting, climbing to get more shoes, answering questions and organizing. I learned that the way the way the customer feels about the atmosphere is extremely important because that determines if they would come back or not. The management at this job are excellent in terms of training, friendliness and suggestions. they can kindly tell you what you need to improve and they ask for suggestions on what they need to improve. the hardest part of this job is dealing with difficult customers who don't appreciate the fact that you are trying to help them. however, the most enjoyable part of the job is also interacting with the customers and making them happy.
Decent Job, Minimal Hours.
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaJuly 3, 2015
The Shoe Company is an ideal place for a student to work, being they only give around two shifts a week and the shifts are maybe four hours each. Management was okay, they have good training programs but they seem to more monitor you than actually help out.
Pros
customer service experience
Cons
no hours
Interesting
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 4, 2015
Friendly co workers, excellent management when it comes to scheduling, learned how to work on commission. Best part of the job was the free shoes.
Pros
free shoes
Productive and fun
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 7, 2015
An enthusiatic environment with a great support team. Everyone was friendly, and managment were very supportive. They were great in training me to assist customers with the best of my abilities.
Do not consider realities of time management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONOctober 1, 2013
The company doesn't give enough hours for the work they expect to be done. Their visual directives are a joke. From my experience district managers do not visit the store enough, but expect perfection without any direction. Some Assistant managers are not only expected to help the Manager, but are also expected to run a department as well, but are not paid to do both jobs. There is no hours given for consistant staff meetings, when hours are alotted they do not come close to what you would need, so you are expected to also cut hours from other areas while continuing to give the same service. Staff are expected to do a training manual but are not given the training hours so they generally do not get completed causing a landslide of problems with the staff in the future.
Pros
shoe dollars, fairly good training programs for management
Cons
long hours, no life/work balance
Inefficient management with unreasonable expectations and a non welcoming work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2015
At work you were unable to converse with your fellow staff members under any circumstances unless management needed you to tell them something, which generated a very secluded and unappealing work environment. The standards of customer service were exceptional and I admired their approach to customer satisfaction. Management was very indecisive when it came to decision making.
Eventful place to work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orangeville, ONMay 20, 2015
Each day working on the floor is different then yesterday. Everyday something new happens and majority of the time it is exciting. With this being a new company to the area, I learn something new every shift. Just like every job you have your up and your downs and certain employee you can't stand to be around but the managers make the best of it and you make it through!
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Short shifts
THE WORSE PLACE TO WORK IN SUDBURY
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONMarch 3, 2015
The most horrific job I have EVER had. The manager is so incredibly rude to everyone. She likes to yell at staff infront of costumers, swear at them, call them names, and be in the worst mood possible 24/7. The boss at the shoe company CLEARLY hates her job. The assistant manager straight up called me and several other employees "obese", "b*tches" and other hurtful things, and once reported to the manager, she DIDNT EVEN CARE! She didnt do a thing about it. I tried to report these incidents to head office, and head office straight up told me they didnt believe me.
Pros
great discounts
Cons
you'll leave work crying and hating yourself
Manager on Duty
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2015
Clock in
Figure out your tasks and complete in between customers and greets
Greet everyone, second greet
Customer Service
Up selling products and aim for goal
Close the store after customers leave
General store clean up
Drop off deposit at bank in pairs
home
Pros
Hours
Cons
Never paid me on time, sent cheque spelt my name wrong all the time
A great place to gain retail experience
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 3, 2015
The Shoe Company was my first job, starting in the summer time I was thrown right into the chaos of the back-to-school rush. Starting off you're dealing with customers face to face, solving their problems and learning about the products quickly. As you gain more experience there you get more and more responsibility to handle. You'll eventually learn how to cash out customers, handle special and web orders, create visual displays, handle stock, and open and close tills. The hours will vary depending on the season, summertime around July/August and early September the store gets quite busy so you'll receive many hours. Then in the winter around when the first snow falls the store gets extremely busy with customers buying boots. Afterwards till about April it's quite slow. I learned quite a bit from my three years at The Shoe Company. It's a great place to help you gain some work experience in the retail industry,
Best coworkers
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Best coworkers but unorganized company. It's a fun experience working there but you feel discouraged because the company does not seem to care about the workers. You can get fired from literally anything without a chance to explain.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
hours
Fun place to work!
Key holder/Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 20, 2015
Great work environment, enjoyable work and good management. Typical day includes greeting customers and assisting customers in finding shoes. Co workers are great and super friendly!
Was fun learning a new area of retail
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AlbertaJanuary 1, 2014
The Shoe Company was my first step out of clothing retail so it was fun learning the footwear end of retail.

I was hired as an Associate Manager which meant I was responsible for all the jobs the manager did but with out the bonus each month. I was the training manager as well as the stock manager. I worked really well with the general manager of the store because we complimented each others skills and abilities

My general manager was one of the best I have had in my time in retail and I learned a lot from him, however the corporate management wasn't so educational. I wanted to advance in the company but was told because I didn't have a University education that was not going to happen.
Great customer serice skils
Cashier, Manager of kids department (Former Employee) –  ABMarch 5, 2015
Learnt lots about customer service here, and got promoted to manager of kids department after showing how dedicated I was to working and doing my job correctly.
Pros
management
Cons
pay
Productive and fun environment
SALES ASSOSIATE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 18, 2015
You generally will be assigned to a section (mens, kids or womens), walk around to make sure everything is clean and tidy. If a customer needs help you can go look for the size in inventory and answer questions.
Lifeless, Low paying, Dead end
WCS Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 27, 2014
Micro managed to a tee, ridiculous script and processes to ensure customers are "delighted". Customers sometimes take advantage and walk all over you. The company does not care about their employees and do the absolute bare minimum for them.

For example: The budget for the store Christmas party was around $150.00 for a roster of 10 people. We had to eat dinner at our manager's home whom none of us liked because that's about all we could do with the budget.

There is no commission, which is good because there is no pressure but they still expect you to make sales and the incentive is "Shoe Dollars". A sad medal system where $1 increments are rewarded for discounts off shoes. Well that's great, but I can't pay rent with Shoenies. Yeah...they're called shoenies.

So in short...The Shoe Company is really cheap, and they couldn't care less about their employees. There are plenty of better places to work.
Pros
free shoes
Cons
low pay, on call shifts, management, pathetic script
Productive and fun atmosphere
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 12, 2015
A typical day included processing shipments and transfers while maintaining a clean and interesting display for customers. I also cashed customers with the utmost delightful customer service! I've learned skills including money, conversation, customers, file/paper work, and organization. The team I worked with was overall very efficient and professional. The hardest part of the job was learning and remembering so many new tasks given to me, which was also the best part because I got to challenge myself.