The Scotts Company

The Scotts Company Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
flexible love the product and the customers
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Garner, NCDecember 27, 2012
Pros: flexible
Cons: seasonal with no benefits
get to lowes early, start to see what products are low then go in back or check up top for more product. Use ladders and pallet jacks inside store. I have learned alot about lawn and garden how to get grass green and stay healthy and how to keep mosquitos away.
co-workers are great always there when you need help. Hardest part of the job is that it – more... is seasonal with no benefits and no raise in 3years. Most enjoyable part to drive around and get to make relationships with Mgrs of big retail stores. – less
Best in its class
PLANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2012
Awesome Company, great Senior Leadership! nice to see them to continue to advance as they are #1 in their product lines.
Good Company Overall
Regional Human Resource Manager (Current Employee), Jackson, GANovember 16, 2012
Pros: stable company.
Cons: corporate politics and lack of career planning.
Solid company that's been around a while. Good group of people to work with. I thorughly enjoy the autonomy and the opportunity to meet so many good people.
Part time work only.
CUSTOMER SERVICE / RETAIL (Former Employee), Marysville, OHNovember 10, 2012
Seasonal part time employment. Enjoyable work environment.
Summary
Director, Human Resources (Current Employee), Marysville, OhioNovember 5, 2012
Talent Development, Coaching, Compliance, Employee Relations, Change Management and overarching support for the business
Fast Paced
Background Investigations Manager (Former Employee), Marysville, OHNovember 1, 2012
Challenging and rewarding, a very fast paced environment. Working at Scotts requires you to work in a collaborative environment.
The Scotts Company = Great place to work Excellent co workers
Production Foreman (Former Employee), The Scotts CompanyOctober 19, 2012
Pros: benefits, overtime
Cons: need to promote within the company
Made production schedule for both shifts, charge of plant inventory, worked with SAP.
territory
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: great products
Cons: cut in merchandisers hours during the fall
manageing a 12 million dollar territory. Calling on Home Depot,Lowes and Walmarts to follow all corporate plans to maintain the inventory and increase sales.
World's largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Mooresville, NCAugust 19, 2012
• Merchandise Scotts' products in Lowe's stores, in-store selling to and counseling with consumers, executing store sets and constructing promotional displays.
• Build relationships with key store management and associates.
• Respond promptly to customers' needs and solicit feedback to improve products and service.
• Create store champions to expand – more... sales and grow product awareness and excitement. – less
Productive fun place to work
Merchandiser/Counsulour (Former Employee), Wichita KsAugust 18, 2012
Pros: different work atmospheres, different things everyday, good pay
Cons: n/a
Typical day involves multiple stores, more independent work as to managed work with good co workers. Nothing was really that hard to do. the most enjoyable part of the job was I wasn't stuck in the same place all day everyday.
Very flexiable with your hours, good working conditions
Merchandiser/Customer Care (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Marysville, OHAugust 15, 2012
Pros: flexiable hours
Cons: sesonal
Great job if it wasnt seasonal, or for a retired or college person
Customer Service Rep in busy call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Marysville, OHJuly 24, 2012
Pros: comfortable work setting. nice companions.
Cons: compensation was average. no chance for advancement.
Receiving incoming calls of up to 100+ per day and responding to emails from consumers wanting information on products offered by the Scotts Miracle-Gro Companies.
Scotts LawnService
Former Employee (Former Employee), MichiganJuly 20, 2012
Pros: layoff in winter
Cons: lay off in winter, temp status for new employees, management always lies.
Scotts LawnService was a great place to work for at first. Benefits changed, and so did everything else. It does have its perks, however as a sales rep you can expect to work up to 70 hours per week. If you are in Door2Door sales good luck on getting past the temp position, they usually tell you after D2D you will go inside the sales room, well that – more... rarely happens, usually they just lay you off due to lack of work by Memorial Day. On the technician side, you do get the benefit of being on your own for most of the day, and interacting with customers, however they don't offer benefits to employees in sales or operations for the first year because you are temp. Saturdays are almost a constant thing, changes from year to year, but Corp management always wants you to work while they are at home with families. If you have a family and young kids or kids and are looking at sales, ask yourself do you want to work 9a-9p? or 12p-9p? Chinese overtime is true, you get half your pay rate etc, it is a complicated formula. Also d2d they constantly threat you if you don't get 15 sales per week after your 2nd week on job. You get written up and then they put you out door if you don't hit it the next week or following week after that. TGCL is always cheaper and really cost is the biggest thing for customers now a days. This can be a rewarding job where you can push making 50k in a year. But overall can be very stressful mentally. – less
it was productive
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Cresson, TXJune 29, 2012
it was a fun place to work i liked all coworkers and they made u feel like part of the family i learned alot from working at scotts being a dispatcher
a nice company to work for
Filler Tech (Current Employee), Pearl, MSJune 6, 2012
A typical day at work for me would be me knowing that i want have the man power but I have to make it work.I learned that its not always easy managing a big group of people. Mananemant can be fun once you gain respect from your co-workers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a million problems at one time. The most enjoyable part of the job – more... would be knowing that we were sucessful eventhough it wasnt easy – less
Great people to work with!
Office Coordinator/Finance Analyst (Former Employee), Gervais, ORMay 23, 2012
Pros: paid early release
Cons: stress level
Overall, Scotts was a wonderful place to work. I enjoyed the majority of my co-workers and truly liked the work I did. I felt appreciated and needed. Learning of the closing of the Oregon division and the loss of my job was the hardest thing. Scotts was wonderful, however, by offering us bonuses to stay on through the end, and paying us a severance.
Not a quality enviroment
Sales Rep, Door to Door Team (Current Employee), IllinoisMay 19, 2012
Pros: outside.....when the weather is good...
Cons: management, no respect for employees, 6 day work weeks for 5+ months
I am an outdoor door to door salesman. You work 70 hours over 6 days rain or shine. You get belittled everyday and not a day goes by that management doesn't threaten your job. I have not had a Sat off since Jan. Scotts work/life philosophy does not carry down to its managers at all. You can make survivable money but for the amount of hours you work – more... it is not enough. They pay you a low base salary and then you get 'chinese' overtime paid at a rate that is half of what your base salary is broken down into 40 hours. Management is constantly lying to staff...reguarding benefits, compensation, milage reimbursements change weekly. The most enjoyable part of the job is speaking with people and the constant change of scenery! – less

Caesar – June 25, 2012

Was "suckered" into doing the same thing for this "despicable" company because of the poor economy. The only thing that kept me going was my children. You have this company summed-up to a "T". If anyone ever asks me my opinion on whether or not they should take a job with Scotts I will advise them strongly not to. Lies and spins.

Productive place with a few flaws
Formulations Technician (Former Employee), Pearl, MSMay 12, 2012
The Scotts Company is a very goal driven environment to work in, bordering on obsession. Many safety and hazardous conditions were overlooked in the drive for high numbers and productivity. Overall, it was a decent place to work with plenty of room for improvement.
Excellent place to work - they really care about their employees
Director Business systems and support (Former Employee), MarysvilleFebruary 28, 2012
Excellent place to work - paid fairly and the benefits are outstanding. No smoking policy. Onsite gym, doctors and pharmacy. Management is close at hand and involved.