The Scotts Company

The Scotts Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Place to Work
Merchandising Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 15, 2013
I had a great manager when I worked with this company. He was understanding and fair and told you up front what he expected from you and didn't overload you with a bunch of meaningless chatter. He was the manager, I was the employee. Sounds simple, but I like that kind of distinction in a job.

As a whole, the company also seemed to want to get everyone – more... involved in the company culture. I went to a few informational gatherings the company had with various retailers to explain new products and to get the word out about their products. It was very informational and a lot of fun. It made me feel like Scotts cared that I was part of their team. – less
Worst Company on The Planet!
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Knoxville TnJune 13, 2013
Cons: everything
Management are a bunch of LIARS!!! Ghosting of lawns was a COMMON practice, techs do nothing, stick a bill in the mailbox and drive off!!! Happened in every region the east Tennessee call center covered from Raleigh, NC to Memphis, TN!! MGMT blamed staff for all the lost revenue and you lost your job if you didn't SAVE at least 95% of customers who – more... said to cxl the account. Common customer statement: MY LAWN LOOKS LIKE S***!!! OFFICE MGR, SALES MGR, and TECH MGR ALWAYS PUTTING OUT FIRES AND BILLING MGR ALWAYS GIVING REFUNDS!!!
The company works you to death then fires employees over things they said you did, like did not document notes when you did, change it on the system and then lie about it! They got caught and owed me $2000 in proven unemployment fraud!!! RUN DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! – less
merchandiser position
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2013
Pros: good pay, good company, good people
Cons: temp positions
I enjoyed my merchandising job with Scotts. Would work with again next season.
stable work
Associate (Current Employee), Palmdale, FLMay 25, 2013
Pros: stable, good health benefits
Cons: dirty, dusty
winter months are the busy months. good stable work. and company is a good company to work for
Fast-paced, aggressive environment
Advertising Compliance Specialist (Current Employee), World Headquarters, Marysville OhioMay 17, 2013
Pros: free prescriptions at on-site pharmacy, associate park and pool, on-site wellness center and doctor, no co-pays at dr office with insurance
Cons: lofty expectations
On a typical day at work, you will arrive a bit early to spend some time refreshing yourself on the events of the day before and prepare a plan for your day, you will likely be interrupted several times, have urgent meetings to attend, work through your lunch, realize you have not yet accomplished the things you intended to complete in the day (due – more... to the "priorities" that interrupted you) and you are already leaving later than expected.

This job has taught me how to multi-task and prioritize on a level I never thought possible. The company is so fast-paced, and usually barely meeting committed deadlines. Everything becomes a last minute priority.

The management at Scotts is hit-or-miss. You will always have "good" and "bad" managers, but most managers in the company do not do a good job of communicating down.

My co-workers and peers are amazing individuals that manage to keep the crazy environment an enjoyable place to work. While I have never heard anyone say they weren't overwhelmingly busy, we all take it well and there are not many complaints.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the environment, but it is also the hardest part of the job. I personally enjoy the fast-pace, non-stop chase, but in my first several months it was borderline overwhelming.

The culture of the company overall is sink-or-swim. There is not a formal mentoring program and you will learn most of the job through your own methods. You will find that most individuals have been here for a long time and plan to stay, or they leave quickly. I haven't met many people in my 6 years that feel the environment is OK, they either like it or they don't. – less
Wish I could give negative stars
Sales (Former Employee), FloridaFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: fitness center, on-site health facility, pharmacy
Cons: high stress military environment, egomaniac ceo, poor project planning
Horrible company to work for. Considerable turnover and high stress environment creates toxic work conditions. Management looks the other way and back stabs you to get ahead. Coworkers were great, but that wasn't enough.
It is a tough company to work for long term
Corporate Employee (Former Employee), Marysville, OhioJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: community involvement and the vision / culture the company is working towards
Cons: constant restructuring and high turnover creates high stress and job insecurity.
This is a face pace high performance company. The values and the culture the top leaders speak of is the top in the industry. Unfortunately, it does not trickle down the chain of command. It is simply a vision that has not become reality. The company is full of valuable and intelligent employees. The hardest part of this job was maintaining a work-life – more... balance. Due to the high demands of the company and the amount of resources allowed, each individual does the job of at least two people. This translates into the volume of work and the number of hours required to complete it. The company reorganizes and restructures every year. This makes everyone uneasy and not secure with their job. There is a very high turnover rate within the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was the effort that the company makes to give back to the community and its employees with events for the families. – less
Prefer not to
National Account Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 29, 2013
I enjoyed my co-workers. Learned a new industry that i have never had experience in.
flexible love the product and the customers
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Garner, NCDecember 27, 2012
Pros: flexible
Cons: seasonal with no benefits
get to lowes early, start to see what products are low then go in back or check up top for more product. Use ladders and pallet jacks inside store. I have learned alot about lawn and garden how to get grass green and stay healthy and how to keep mosquitos away.
co-workers are great always there when you need help. Hardest part of the job is that it – more... is seasonal with no benefits and no raise in 3years. Most enjoyable part to drive around and get to make relationships with Mgrs of big retail stores. – less
Best in its class
PLANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2012
Awesome Company, great Senior Leadership! nice to see them to continue to advance as they are #1 in their product lines.
Good Company Overall
Regional Human Resource Manager (Current Employee), Jackson, GANovember 16, 2012
Pros: stable company.
Cons: corporate politics and lack of career planning.
Solid company that's been around a while. Good group of people to work with. I thorughly enjoy the autonomy and the opportunity to meet so many good people.
Part time work only.
CUSTOMER SERVICE / RETAIL (Former Employee), Marysville, OHNovember 10, 2012
Seasonal part time employment. Enjoyable work environment.
Summary
Director, Human Resources (Current Employee), Marysville, OhioNovember 5, 2012
Talent Development, Coaching, Compliance, Employee Relations, Change Management and overarching support for the business
Fast Paced
Background Investigations Manager (Former Employee), Marysville, OHNovember 1, 2012
Challenging and rewarding, a very fast paced environment. Working at Scotts requires you to work in a collaborative environment.
The Scotts Company = Great place to work Excellent co workers
Production Foreman (Former Employee), The Scotts CompanyOctober 19, 2012
Pros: benefits, overtime
Cons: need to promote within the company
Made production schedule for both shifts, charge of plant inventory, worked with SAP.
territory
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: great products
Cons: cut in merchandisers hours during the fall
manageing a 12 million dollar territory. Calling on Home Depot,Lowes and Walmarts to follow all corporate plans to maintain the inventory and increase sales.
World's largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee), Mooresville, NCAugust 19, 2012
• Merchandise Scotts' products in Lowe's stores, in-store selling to and counseling with consumers, executing store sets and constructing promotional displays.
• Build relationships with key store management and associates.
• Respond promptly to customers' needs and solicit feedback to improve products and service.
• Create store champions to expand – more... sales and grow product awareness and excitement. – less
Productive fun place to work
Merchandiser/Counsulour (Former Employee), Wichita KsAugust 18, 2012
Pros: different work atmospheres, different things everyday, good pay
Cons: n/a
Typical day involves multiple stores, more independent work as to managed work with good co workers. Nothing was really that hard to do. the most enjoyable part of the job was I wasn't stuck in the same place all day everyday.
Very flexiable with your hours, good working conditions
Merchandiser/Customer Care (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Marysville, OHAugust 15, 2012
Pros: flexiable hours
Cons: sesonal
Great job if it wasnt seasonal, or for a retired or college person
Customer Service Rep in busy call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Marysville, OHJuly 24, 2012
Pros: comfortable work setting. nice companions.
Cons: compensation was average. no chance for advancement.
Receiving incoming calls of up to 100+ per day and responding to emails from consumers wanting information on products offered by the Scotts Miracle-Gro Companies.

About The Scotts Company

Scotts LawnService was founded in 1998 with the acquisition of Emerald Green Lawn Care. It is a division of the Scotts Miracle-Gro – Read more