The Scotts Company Employee Reviews

No work life balance. Rude bosses, unrealistic quota
Door to Door Sales (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTAugust 10, 2016
Horrible company culture. Virtually zero training. You will be thrown into the field expecting high sales 6 days a week. Management treats sales team like garbage. Even if you sell high volume and revenue you will be fired quickly if you have a bad sales week or two. Terrible customer service, constant lies from managers, many unhappy customers. Complaints are not properly addressed. Expect to work 60 plus hours per week plus every Saturday. You will have no family or personal life. Low base salary, very poor paying commissions, gas milage not enough to even pay for the gas. Must use your own vehicle. Physically and mentally exhausting, led me to be sick. Not worth it.
Pros
Travel to many different areas, work outside
Cons
Very long hours, 6 day work week, low pay, poor training and bad management that lies often.
Dirty , unsafe, hostile working environment
Plant (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MNJuly 26, 2016
This is one of the worst jobs I have ever had. Dirty, and you will work with mainly felons but when you have such a unsafe, dirty, horrible culture that is all you can get.

Do yourself a favor and stay away! This place will only hurt your spirits. Long spring hours and then there is nothing to do, people get laid off and it makes for a very unstable environment. Feast or phantom

This is a large company that's not large. HR does not exist, I have seen people do and say horrible things at work without discipline Women can not survive in this environment. Unless you enjoy sharing a bathroom with men. It really is just a unthinkable place with horrible ethics oh and there is no office. It is a trailer

I learned I was not valued and men mean more than women. It is unthinkable to think things like this happen but with the wrong management they do.
Pros
Free lunches--- to make the boys happy
Cons
Bad management and overall unsafe environment
Fun, always working, and traveling to new locations.
Seasonal Help (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 21, 2016
Fun job, great teammates, great management, great accounts but only for a limited time, seasonal. I would work all year if full-time.
Pros
Full-time and awesome staff up the chain.
Cons
Seasonal.
Dock lead/ forklift operator
Dock Lead/ forklift operator (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 15, 2016
Just a flat out bad place to work. If you like to have steady hours and a life outside of work or weekends you definitely don't want to work here.
Pros
................there really are not any.....decent pay but not worth it.
Cons
Shift constantly changing, need to know if you have to work a saturday? Dont count on knowing till the day before at 2pm.
Not American.
None (Former Employee) –  NoneJune 7, 2016
I can understand a company that doesn't allow smoking on the job, but last time I checked, we don't live in Russia and it's none of my employers business what I do on my own time. Unless they want to pay me 24/7, my time isMINE! There are plenty of jobs out there that respect their employees privacy and rights.
Pros
Cons
Company seeks to control your life outside your work time
Robinson innovation
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 11, 2016
I love work with anyone as long as we work as a team that all it matter to me.I drive fork lift for long time an I like my job.I'm a Samoan an I work hard everyday.
Pros
Love free lunch
Cons
Long break short break dnt matter
Not Fun
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Groveland, FLApril 27, 2016
Dirty, dirty, dirty. I know the place made growing media, but everything was always covered in dirt. Machines broke down all the time, and the maintenance staff had their hands tied and couldn't fix much.
Corporate bully not straight across the board.
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHApril 23, 2016
In my 5 years of working at Scotts, I have seen dozens of people fired. They care more about the temps then full time associates. The factories are politically biased. Working conditions are horrible. Very dusty and refuse to buy more dust collectors. Always short on people and constant retaliation once you voice your opinion. Corporate factory pays 5-10+ dollars more an hour than the rest of the plants that do the same job. Numbers matter more than safety. In the span of my 5 years I have had 2 plant managers, 4 different supervisors, 11 different foreman. Oh and one death.
Pros
Health benefits are ok
Cons
Poor management
fun place to work
Production Lead/ Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAApril 20, 2016
gret place to work, people are friendly and outgoing, lots of interaction with coworkers. hardest part of the day would be to troubleshoot machinery and equipment. good family oriented company.
Pros
good educational place to work
Cons
none.
Lots of work, not much else
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 24, 2016
5 years in and only had two pay increases.
Lots of work, short handed most of the time .
I've had 3 plant managers, 7 supervisors in 5 years.
Pros
Every other Friday i get a check
Cons
Zero pay increase for two years
Work Hard
sales manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 27, 2015
Typical day you go in a home center, walk the store and look for pallets to be dropped. It's typical to drop 20-30 in one store alone. Then you need someone to drop the pallets for you. This process can take ten minutes, a few hours or frustration and move onto another store and start the process all over. Once the pallets are dropped you start packing out fertilizer, chemicals, plant food, rodenticides, outdoor cleaner, etc. Its very labor intensive and it's no uncommon to spend 12-18 hours doing this six day a week in season. You have a merchandising budget for help in the stores. It's very hard to retain part time, seasonal workers who don't get raises. Even if you have your help planned out, Scotts will yank the budget out of no where and you'll be stuck trying to do 35-40 stores by yourself. Then upper management will walk your stores and nit pick, asking why spreaders are dirty, bags of fertilizer have rodent and or bird fecal matter on them. This is a common technique used to RIF or terminate a sales manager. Walk stores, look for the tiniest goofs and then either terminate you on the spot or put you on probation and ride you until you quit or they terminate you. The only person who has job security is the CEO and his family members, who own about 1/3 of the company. The CEO Uses profanities prides himself on terminating upper managers, and has slowly taken away everything that was fun to work for Scotts. This is so he can fly his jet and helicopter at the company's expense. Expect to be constantly tracked via your company phone and vehicle.
Pros
Company phone, car, great holiday schedule, bonus incentive, home center managers and associates that appreciate your hard work.
Cons
Company car is taxed, Bonus rarely happens, interruptions at home, low pay, filthy conditions.
I really enjoy this job but it is seasonal unfortunately
Retail Sales Merchandiser and Product Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 12, 2015
Great company to work for. We work as teams sometimes (4 people), mostly on the larger accounts in Syracuse. Fantastic manager, good work environment. We work hard but it is one of the few jobs I've had where I also have fun.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, mileage
Cons
No health benefits
Fun and laid back place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXOctober 12, 2015
Great place to work. Co workers are easy to get along with and work with. Office setting is comfortable and a fun environment with new things to learn everyday.
Enjoyable position
Accounts Payable/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Groveland, FLOctober 8, 2015
A typical day consisted of checking employee hours from the previous day and correcting any errors. Coding invoices, matching with proper paperwork, and entering them into the system. Handling any customer service calls. Filing any paperwork. Created PO's and reconciled P-Card purchases. Printed reports. I learned every aspect of payroll and accounts payable at this job. I began this job with zero knowledge of these tasks and was trained for everything. I even learned the new payroll system alone and went on to train other locations. Management was great to get along with as long as you performed the work required of you and only missed days when absolutely necessary. Coworkers were easy to get along with, however, the open office environment did not allow for much privacy. Therefore, work sometimes was distracting. The hardest part of my job was year end. It wasn't so much as hard, but time consuming and making sure that you had everything entered.The most enjoyable part of my job was the actual work. I loved my job and felt I was very good at it, including handling irate customers. I enjoyed the people I worked with and even having to stay late during busy season.
Pros
Great coworkers, relaxed environment
Cons
No privacy allowed you to be distracted by other coworkers when they handled other issues.
Called it the dirt farm made a lot of miracle grow
Lead electrician (Former Employee) –  Vance, ALAugust 11, 2015
Repairing conveyer belts, hoppers .Had computer run automatic bagging machines very complex. had to to daily pms while running product . Hardest part of job digging out hopper when conveyer belt broke.Good co workers managment ok.
fun company to work for!
merchandiser/counsular (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 27, 2015
typical day consist of going to multiple stores and merchandising products ,setting floor sets and ordering product. nice company to work for.
Good company to work for on temporary basis
Merchandiser & Counselor (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OHJune 21, 2015
Very physically demanding job. You are constantly moving, building and restocking displays. Scotts will teach you about their product and what each is used for.
Cons
No Opportunity for advancement
Great company
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 2, 2015
This is a great company to work for! Great advancement opportunities, compensation and benefits. Highly recommended to any looking for a career.
Productive workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pearl, MSMay 28, 2015
Great place to work, opportunities to grow within the company, everyone usually seems to be in a good mood, great work environment
Fast paced
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CaMay 21, 2015
Although working at Scott's is tough and very fast pace, the work keeps you focused and the hours are great. The hardest part about the job is learning a new task but when you're able to grasp it everything becomes easier. Working here taught me to work at a fast pace and to be able to work together as a team.

2.6