The Scotts Company

The Scotts Company Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not Fun
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Groveland, FLApril 27, 2016
Dirty, dirty, dirty. I know the place made growing media, but everything was always covered in dirt. Machines broke down all the time, and the maintenance staff had their hands tied and couldn't fix much.
Corporate bully not straight across the board.
Factory Worker (Former Employee), Orrville, OHApril 23, 2016
Pros: Health benefits are ok
Cons: Poor management
In my 5 years of working at Scotts, I have seen dozens of people fired. They care more about the temps then full time associates. The factories are politically biased. Working conditions are horrible. Very dusty and refuse to buy more dust collectors. Always short on people and constant retaliation once you voice your opinion. Corporate factory pays 5-10+ dollars more an hour than the rest of the plants that do the same job. Numbers matter more than safety. In the span of my 5 years I have had 2 plant managers, 4 different supervisors, 11 different foreman. Oh and one death.
fun place to work
Production Lead/ Forklift operator (Former Employee), Shafter, CAApril 20, 2016
Pros: good educational place to work
Cons: none.
gret place to work, people are friendly and outgoing, lots of interaction with coworkers. hardest part of the day would be to troubleshoot machinery and equipment. good family oriented company.
Lots of work, not much else
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee), TexasMarch 24, 2016
Pros: Every other Friday i get a check
Cons: Zero pay increase for two years
5 years in and only had two pay increases.
Lots of work, short handed most of the time .
I've had 3 plant managers, 7 supervisors in 5 years.
Work Hard
sales manager (Current Employee), MassachusettsNovember 27, 2015
Pros: Company phone, car, great holiday schedule, bonus incentive, home center managers and associates that appreciate your hard work.
Cons: Company car is taxed, Bonus rarely happens, interruptions at home, low pay, filthy conditions.
Typical day you go in a home center, walk the store and look for pallets to be dropped. It's typical to drop 20-30 in one store alone. Then you need someone to drop the pallets for you. This process can take ten minutes, a few hours or frustration and move onto another store and start the process all over. Once the pallets are dropped you start packing out fertilizer, chemicals, plant food, rodenticides, outdoor cleaner, etc. Its very labor intensive and it's no uncommon to spend 12-18 hours doing this six day a week in season. You have a merchandising budget for help in the stores. It's very hard to retain part time, seasonal workers who don't get raises. Even if you have your help planned out, Scotts will yank the budget out of no where and you'll be stuck trying to do 35-40 stores by yourself. Then upper management will walk your stores and nit pick, asking why spreaders are dirty, bags of fertilizer have rodent and or bird fecal matter on them. This is a common technique used to RIF or terminate a sales manager. Walk stores, look for the tiniest goofs and then either terminate you on the spot or put you on probation and ride you until you quit or they terminate you. The only person who has job security is the CEO and his family members, who own about 1/3 of the company. The CEO Uses profanities prides himself on terminating upper managers, and has slowly taken away everything that was fun to work for Scotts. This is so he can fly his jet and helicopter at the company's expense. Expect to be constantly tracked via your company phone and vehicle.
I really enjoy this job but it is seasonal unfortunately
Retail Sales Merchandiser and Product Counselor (Former Employee), Syracuse, NYNovember 12, 2015
Pros: Paid lunch breaks, mileage
Cons: No health benefits
Great company to work for. We work as teams sometimes (4 people), mostly on the larger accounts in Syracuse. Fantastic manager, good work environment. We work hard but it is one of the few jobs I've had where I also have fun.
Fun and laid back place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee), Huntsville, TXOctober 12, 2015
Great place to work. Co workers are easy to get along with and work with. Office setting is comfortable and a fun environment with new things to learn everyday.
Enjoyable position
Accounts Payable/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee), Groveland, FLOctober 8, 2015
Pros: Great coworkers, relaxed environment
Cons: No privacy allowed you to be distracted by other coworkers when they handled other issues.
A typical day consisted of checking employee hours from the previous day and correcting any errors. Coding invoices, matching with proper paperwork, and entering them into the system. Handling any customer service calls. Filing any paperwork. Created PO's and reconciled P-Card purchases. Printed reports. I learned every aspect of payroll and accounts payable at this job. I began this job with zero knowledge of these tasks and was trained for everything. I even learned the new payroll system alone and went on to train other locations. Management was great to get along with as long as you performed the work required of you and only missed days when absolutely necessary. Coworkers were easy to get along with, however, the open office environment did not allow for much privacy. Therefore, work sometimes was distracting. The hardest part of my job was year end. It wasn't so much as hard, but time consuming and making sure that you had everything entered.The most enjoyable part of my job was the actual work. I loved my job and felt I was very good at it, including handling irate customers. I enjoyed the people I worked with and even having to stay late during busy season.
Called it the dirt farm made a lot of miracle grow
Lead electrician (Former Employee), Vance, ALAugust 11, 2015
Repairing conveyer belts, hoppers .Had computer run automatic bagging machines very complex. had to to daily pms while running product . Hardest part of job digging out hopper when conveyer belt broke.Good co workers managment ok.
fun company to work for!
merchandiser/counsular (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJuly 27, 2015
typical day consist of going to multiple stores and merchandising products ,setting floor sets and ordering product. nice company to work for.
Good company to work for on temporary basis
Merchandiser & Counselor (Current Employee), Marysville, OHJune 21, 2015
Cons: No Opportunity for advancement
Very physically demanding job. You are constantly moving, building and restocking displays. Scotts will teach you about their product and what each is used for.
Great company
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee), Nashville, TNJune 2, 2015
This is a great company to work for! Great advancement opportunities, compensation and benefits. Highly recommended to any looking for a career.
Productive workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee), Pearl, MSMay 28, 2015
Great place to work, opportunities to grow within the company, everyone usually seems to be in a good mood, great work environment
Fast paced
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Temecula, CaMay 21, 2015
Although working at Scott's is tough and very fast pace, the work keeps you focused and the hours are great. The hardest part about the job is learning a new task but when you're able to grasp it everything becomes easier. Working here taught me to work at a fast pace and to be able to work together as a team.
A flexible type of job
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Runnemede, NJFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: independent
Cons: late hours
Being an outside sale representative is hard work but is flexible and you have the power to write your own checks. Most of the time, it will be door to door sales but in the event of bad weather, you get the experience of inside sales as well.
Best Merchandising job
Sales Merchandiser (Former Employee), Inglewood,CAFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: freedom to work on my own
I loved working for the Scotts Company because of the work hours and weekends off. I enjoyed merchandising for the company and they provided shirts that protected us in the summer.
Sales Management
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INFebruary 10, 2015
Manage a $10 Million, 35 store , Home Depot, Lowe’s, Wal-Mart market for all Scotts, Ortho, Miracle-Gro, and Roundup product lines. Maintain an ongoing partnership with accounts by conducting high impact business meetings with District Managers to ensure sufficient display space among the region and district. Hire and provide leadership to team of up to 15 merchandisers to achieve volume and expense targets, provide coaching, feedback and development with a budget exceeding $65,000. Review Merchandisers timesheets. Organize, delegate, and prioritize merchandisers to meet deadlines. Manage inventory flow among Home Depot accounts.
Difficult place to work. Not for everyone.
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee), Groveland, FLJanuary 30, 2015
Once again, difficult place to work. Not for everyone. Excellent associates to work with. All very co-operative. Some of the best workers I've ever worked with in my life.
Fun place to work. Can be crazy at times.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Jackson, GAJanuary 29, 2015
Good company and cool superviser. Lots of over time. Good equipment.
Great college job
Product Merchandiser & Counselor (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 15, 2015
Great college job with fair starting wages. Seasonal. Work at local home improvement stores.
Employees