The Scotts Company Employee Reviews

Top Products
Fast-paced environment
Good work/life balance
Independent Work style
Required some physicality to execute and corporate objectives
Enjoyed working with account leadership
Worked in Home depot
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ct22 May 2017
worked in home depot and lowes severdays a week, unpacking materials to make the store clean and nice making the scotts name look professional, while also working by myself most of the time.
Awesome management
Territory Sales/Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GA10 May 2017
Overall my time at Scotts was great. The management in my base shop was awesome and made the position worth going to each day. I referred several technicians to work at Scotts and most are still working there.
a good company to work for
Category Analyst (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OH3 May 2017
generous benefits
nice management
not a lot of exposures
a lot to learn
friendly coworkers to work with
very strict policy working with order minimum requirements that could miss some opportunities
Great frontline employees, Corporate not so great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GA18 April 2017
The frontline empployees and local level management are awesome and understand what it takes to manage the business however the corporate team leaves a lot to be desired. Policies and procedures are not considerate of internal or external customer needs.
fast paced, slow changing
Product Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OH9 April 2017
Managed cross functional teams to ensure timeline, quantity and quality were met.
• Coordinate New Product Planning with Operations, Manufacturing, Quality, Engineering and
• Created and communicated project plans and updates to manufacturing and operations teams.
A large company with lots of opportunity
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Waverly, VA29 March 2017
The Scotts Company offers a lot of opportunity. There are many divisions under the Scotts umbrella including plant level shipping and manufacturing, lawn care, and other subsidiaries.
Pros
big company with lots of opportunity
Great Company, Fun Job
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OH24 March 2017
Great flexibility, just not sure I like where the company is going. The flexibility is less and less every year. Microscopic Micromanaging is making the daily work culture suffer a little.
Some supervisors treat subordinates poorly
PLANT EDUCATION CURRICULUM DEVELOPER (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OH23 March 2017
They like to bring in consulting firms to "clean house" every few years, so not a lot of job security.... especially if you are higher in the ranks....
Pros
great benefits
Cons
see above
Loved everything about the job other than being mistaken for a Lowes employee because of my red shirt!
Merchandiser/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Opelika, AL12 February 2017
I really enjoyed my job with Scotts. I love the opportunity to become a subject matter expert concerning gardening and lawn care, with the Scotts products.I enjoyed meeting people who have the same interests as me. I love gardening and lawn care and was so pleased to share my knowledge with customers while recommending specific products for their needs. In many cases, I gained valuable information from the customer concerning their personal experience and was able to use that knowledge to help others as well as myself. My only complaint would be the red shirt that I was required to wear. I worked in Lowes and was mistaken for a Lowes employee far too many times. I was required to spend too much of my time explaining to the customer that I was a merchandiser for Scotts and then spend too much time helping them find a Lowe's employee to help them with their plumbing needs. After a few weeks, I could direct the customer to plumbing, lighting, kitchen and bath departments, but still couldn's answer specific questions concerning those departments.
Pros
Too many to list per my experience
Cons
Mistaken for a Lowes employee due to my red shirt!
Worst place ever
Worker (Former Employee) –  Honea Path, SC7 February 2017
Worst place I've ever worked !! Dirty inside , 6 days a week 14hrs plus a day, No chance of moving up in the company, .The scotts employees don't care about you!!
Cons
A great company to work for
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marysville oh31 January 2017
Scotts is a great company with strong views to the employees and community and I loved working for them. I learned a lot working for them. The hardest part was going through management change,
Pros
They really do a lot for their employees and community
Cons
no job security
Great products, Leader in industry
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OH24 January 2017
Exciting and challenging to work for a company that is number one in its industry, the leader with huge consumer awareness and brand equity. The everyday work colleagues are all team driven for the common cause. Senior Management can be difficult and create a hostile work environment. They do not value employees who are doing the right thing and making an impact. Always changing the organization and losing many valuable people who have helped create the company, driven the business, and made senior management money.
Pros
Good compensation and Benefits
Cons
Senior Management operates in a tyrant environment, does not value or promote a collaborative team atmosphere
Fast-Paced Environment
Senior Analyst, Federal Registrations (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OH and Hampton, GA18 January 2017
Fast-paced environment with learning opportunities. Scotts has a great commitment to total health for its employees.
Pros
Free or discounted lawn care products and an on-site fitness center
Cons
Location of corporate office
wouldn't recommend it
current employe (Current Employee) –  Yaphank, NY29 December 2016
If management had a clue or a care in the world it would be a great place to work. Plant manager that does not care about his workers and is barely here to know whats going on. They do not train employees. The temp agency's do nothing good for this company. If the management team doesn't know how to do their job or care about their job. Then who will?
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
Management is clueless. They do not train. Hiring process the tempory agency's are a failure
Supervisor treats workers terrible
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Michigan20 December 2016
In months I worked as a temp, I witnessed a 37yr veteran supervisor yell and intimidate employees if he felt you werent doing job exactly right-- very poor communicator and frequently slept and couldnt be found for 1-2 hours at a time...all the workers agreed he should retire!.. Extremely dirty environment.. They supply masks but cant breathe if you use them.
Pros
Paid christmas party
Cons
Dirty environment-abusive supervisor
Dynamic consumer products company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH5 December 2016
Best in class lawn care products produced in a lean environment. A fast-paced work place setting with field and site based employees who work together to achieve common goals.0
RETAIL PRODUCT COUNSELOR (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OH28 November 2016
Jobs are limited, well paying positions well balance position and enjoy working for company, Family oriented, great products . Management willing to work with you.
No work life balance. Rude bosses, unrealistic quota
Door to Door Sales (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CT10 August 2016
Horrible company culture. Virtually zero training. You will be thrown into the field expecting high sales 6 days a week. Management treats sales team like garbage. Even if you sell high volume and revenue you will be fired quickly if you have a bad sales week or two. Terrible customer service, constant lies from managers, many unhappy customers. Complaints are not properly addressed. Expect to work 60 plus hours per week plus every Saturday. You will have no family or personal life. Low base salary, very poor paying commissions, gas milage not enough to even pay for the gas. Must use your own vehicle. Physically and mentally exhausting, led me to be sick. Not worth it.
Pros
Travel to many different areas, work outside
Cons
Very long hours, 6 day work week, low pay, poor training and bad management that lies often.
Dirty , unsafe, hostile working environment
Plant (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MN26 July 2016
This is one of the worst jobs I have ever had. Dirty, and you will work with mainly felons but when you have such a unsafe, dirty, horrible culture that is all you can get.

Do yourself a favor and stay away! This place will only hurt your spirits. Long spring hours and then there is nothing to do, people get laid off and it makes for a very unstable environment. Feast or phantom

This is a large company that's not large. HR does not exist, I have seen people do and say horrible things at work without discipline Women can not survive in this environment. Unless you enjoy sharing a bathroom with men. It really is just a unthinkable place with horrible ethics oh and there is no office. It is a trailer

I learned I was not valued and men mean more than women. It is unthinkable to think things like this happen but with the wrong management they do.
Pros
Free lunches--- to make the boys happy
Cons
Bad management and overall unsafe environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at The Scotts Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7