The Scotts Company

The Scotts Company Employee Reviews

I really enjoy this job but it is seasonal unfortunately
Retail Sales Merchandiser and Product Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 12, 2015
Great company to work for. We work as teams sometimes (4 people), mostly on the larger accounts in Syracuse. Fantastic manager, good work environment. We work hard but it is one of the few jobs I've had where I also have fun.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, mileage
Cons
No health benefits
Work Hard
sales manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 27, 2015
Typical day you go in a home center, walk the store and look for pallets to be dropped. It's typical to drop 20-30 in one store alone. Then you need someone to drop the pallets for you. This process can take ten minutes, a few hours or frustration and move onto another store and start the process all over. Once the pallets are dropped you start packing out fertilizer, chemicals, plant food, rodenticides, outdoor cleaner, etc. Its very labor intensive and it's no uncommon to spend 12-18 hours doing this six day a week in season. You have a merchandising budget for help in the stores. It's very hard to retain part time, seasonal workers who don't get raises. Even if you have your help planned out, Scotts will yank the budget out of no where and you'll be stuck trying to do 35-40 stores by yourself. Then upper management will walk your stores and nit pick, asking why spreaders are dirty, bags of fertilizer have rodent and or bird fecal matter on them. This is a common technique used to RIF or terminate a sales manager. Walk stores, look for the tiniest goofs and then either terminate you on the spot or put you on probation and ride you until you quit or they terminate you. The only person who has job security is the CEO and his family members, who own about 1/3 of the company. The CEO Uses profanities prides himself on terminating upper managers, and has slowly taken away everything that was fun to work for Scotts. This is so he can fly his jet and helicopter at the company's expense. Expect to be constantly tracked via your company phone and vehicle.
Pros
Company phone, car, great holiday schedule, bonus incentive, home center managers and associates that appreciate your hard work.
Cons
Company car is taxed, Bonus rarely happens, interruptions at home, low pay, filthy conditions.
Corporate bully not straight across the board.
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OHApril 23, 2016
In my 5 years of working at Scotts, I have seen dozens of people fired. They care more about the temps then full time associates. The factories are politically biased. Working conditions are horrible. Very dusty and refuse to buy more dust collectors. Always short on people and constant retaliation once you voice your opinion. Corporate factory pays 5-10+ dollars more an hour than the rest of the plants that do the same job. Numbers matter more than safety. In the span of my 5 years I have had 2 plant managers, 4 different supervisors, 11 different foreman. Oh and one death.
Pros
Health benefits are ok
Cons
Poor management
Enjoyable position
Accounts Payable/Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Groveland, FLOctober 8, 2015
A typical day consisted of checking employee hours from the previous day and correcting any errors. Coding invoices, matching with proper paperwork, and entering them into the system. Handling any customer service calls. Filing any paperwork. Created PO's and reconciled P-Card purchases. Printed reports. I learned every aspect of payroll and accounts payable at this job. I began this job with zero knowledge of these tasks and was trained for everything. I even learned the new payroll system alone and went on to train other locations. Management was great to get along with as long as you performed the work required of you and only missed days when absolutely necessary. Coworkers were easy to get along with, however, the open office environment did not allow for much privacy. Therefore, work sometimes was distracting. The hardest part of my job was year end. It wasn't so much as hard, but time consuming and making sure that you had everything entered.The most enjoyable part of my job was the actual work. I loved my job and felt I was very good at it, including handling irate customers. I enjoyed the people I worked with and even having to stay late during busy season.
Pros
Great coworkers, relaxed environment
Cons
No privacy allowed you to be distracted by other coworkers when they handled other issues.
Lots of work, not much else
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 24, 2016
5 years in and only had two pay increases.
Lots of work, short handed most of the time .
I've had 3 plant managers, 7 supervisors in 5 years.
Pros
Every other Friday i get a check
Cons
Zero pay increase for two years
fun place to work
Production Lead/ Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CAApril 20, 2016
gret place to work, people are friendly and outgoing, lots of interaction with coworkers. hardest part of the day would be to troubleshoot machinery and equipment. good family oriented company.
Pros
good educational place to work
Cons
none.
Robinson innovation
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMay 11, 2016
I love work with anyone as long as we work as a team that all it matter to me.I drive fork lift for long time an I like my job.I'm a Samoan an I work hard everyday.
Pros
Love free lunch
Cons
Long break short break dnt matter
Not Fun
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Groveland, FLApril 27, 2016
Dirty, dirty, dirty. I know the place made growing media, but everything was always covered in dirt. Machines broke down all the time, and the maintenance staff had their hands tied and couldn't fix much.
Great company
Market Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 2, 2015
This is a great company to work for! Great advancement opportunities, compensation and benefits. Highly recommended to any looking for a career.
Better off working at McDonalds
TSR (Former Employee) –  Parker, COAugust 23, 2014
Please do yourself a favor and find another company to work for. Unless you like working ten+ hour days and don't forget you have to work Saturday's too. For all those extra hours you get paid 1/2 your regular rate and your regular rate would be awesome if you were working in the 1970's. Working isn't so cool when it's 90 degrees and you have to wear pants, long sleeved shirts and boots that make your feet sweat. This is that way across the country. You do get several months of unpaid vacation in the winter though, which is a real bonus. Hopefully you don't have any bills to pay, just rub you hands together when the heat gets turned off. You get a chance to get a raise after 2 years at which time you're looking at a kick in the teeth. Bottom line is this company could care less about you.
Pros
no ac in trucks, 1/2 time overtime, work 6 days a week, no life outside of work
Cons
the entire company
Fun and laid back place to work
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXOctober 12, 2015
Great place to work. Co workers are easy to get along with and work with. Office setting is comfortable and a fun environment with new things to learn everyday.
Good company to work for on temporary basis
Merchandiser & Counselor (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OHJune 21, 2015
Very physically demanding job. You are constantly moving, building and restocking displays. Scotts will teach you about their product and what each is used for.
Cons
No Opportunity for advancement
Not a quality enviroment
Sales Rep, Door to Door Team (Current Employee) –  IllinoisMay 19, 2012
I am an outdoor door to door salesman. You work 70 hours over 6 days rain or shine. You get belittled everyday and not a day goes by that management doesn't threaten your job. I have not had a Sat off since Jan. Scotts work/life philosophy does not carry down to its managers at all. You can make survivable money but for the amount of hours you work it is not enough. They pay you a low base salary and then you get 'chinese' overtime paid at a rate that is half of what your base salary is broken down into 40 hours. Management is constantly lying to staff...reguarding benefits, compensation, milage reimbursements change weekly. The most enjoyable part of the job is speaking with people and the constant change of scenery!
Pros
outside.....when the weather is good...
Cons
management, no respect for employees, 6 day work weeks for 5+ months

Comment – June 25, 2012

Was "suckered" into doing the same thing for this "despicable" company because of the poor economy. The only thing that kept me going was my children. You have this company summed-up to a "T". If anyone ever asks me my opinion on whether or not they should take a job with Scotts I will advise them strongly not to. Lies and spins.

An excellent company and a great place to work
International SAP Master Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, ENGJanuary 9, 2014
I was fortunate to work for some great people. The business in Ipswich changed so much as it passed from being the well known and established Fisons Ltd, through the management buy out period to become part the wolds largest Horticulture business Scotts Miracle-Gro Company. In all that time my co-workers were always of the highest quality, it has been a pleasure.

The company has offered me opportunities, I gained an MBA and have been lucky enough to travel to many far away places gaining so many experiences.
Pros
the people
It is a tough company to work for long term
Corporate Employee (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OhioJanuary 30, 2013
This is a face pace high performance company. The values and the culture the top leaders speak of is the top in the industry. Unfortunately, it does not trickle down the chain of command. It is simply a vision that has not become reality. The company is full of valuable and intelligent employees. The hardest part of this job was maintaining a work-life balance. Due to the high demands of the company and the amount of resources allowed, each individual does the job of at least two people. This translates into the volume of work and the number of hours required to complete it. The company reorganizes and restructures every year. This makes everyone uneasy and not secure with their job. There is a very high turnover rate within the company. The most enjoyable part of the job was the effort that the company makes to give back to the community and its employees with events for the families.
Pros
community involvement and the vision / culture the company is working towards
Cons
constant restructuring and high turnover creates high stress and job insecurity.
flexible love the product and the customers
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCDecember 27, 2012
get to lowes early, start to see what products are low then go in back or check up top for more product. Use ladders and pallet jacks inside store. I have learned alot about lawn and garden how to get grass green and stay healthy and how to keep mosquitos away.
co-workers are great always there when you need help. Hardest part of the job is that it is seasonal with no benefits and no raise in 3years. Most enjoyable part to drive around and get to make relationships with Mgrs of big retail stores.
Pros
flexible
Cons
seasonal with no benefits
Called it the dirt farm made a lot of miracle grow
Lead electrician (Former Employee) –  Vance, ALAugust 11, 2015
Repairing conveyer belts, hoppers .Had computer run automatic bagging machines very complex. had to to daily pms while running product . Hardest part of job digging out hopper when conveyer belt broke.Good co workers managment ok.
HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK
Quality control technician (Former Employee) –  Tyler texasAugust 10, 2014
I worked there for a little while as the quality control technician. They are unorganized, rude and backstabbing. The production supervisor was ex military and he treated the employees like they were stupid and didn't know how to do anything. He was mean to the employees. He tried to cover up stuff by making the people he managed take the blame for his mistakes. He does not even know how to run any of the machines on the floor. The office manager was the rudest of them all. She tried to do as little as she could, she needs to be fired. Everyone in that facility that works in the office needs to be FIRED and they need new people in there ASAP. THIS IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY TO WORK FOR. I DONT RECOMMEND ANY ONE TO WORK FOR THESE HORRIBLE PEOPLE.
Horrible place to work
Door to Door Sales Rep/ Aerator and Overseeder (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYDecember 5, 2014
If you like to walk and walk and walk and walk then you will love a door to door sales position with this company. If you like to talk and talk and talk and talk the same thing holds true. If you like to work in brutal cold or blistering hot weather than be my guest and sign up for this sham of a job. If you like to work 6 days a week and an average of 70 hours per week with no family work balance than what are you waiting for. If you like to hold a seasonal figure 20 week job that pays nothing but survival money than step right up. If you want to be told that after 20 weeks of hard work that the only way they can keep you is to make you an aerator over seeder; which by the way is one of the most physically challenging jobs a man can do; in blistering humid conditions sign right here on the dotted line. If you want to work for a company that does not give a hoot about its customers and constantly be yelled at by those same customers what are you waiting for LOL
Pros
payday thats it
Cons
wages, management, environment everything else
World's largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCAugust 19, 2012
• Merchandise Scotts' products in Lowe's stores, in-store selling to and counseling with consumers, executing store sets and constructing promotional displays.
• Build relationships with key store management and associates.
• Respond promptly to customers' needs and solicit feedback to improve products and service.
• Create store champions to expand sales and grow product awareness and excitement.