The Scotts Company

The Scotts Company Employee Reviews

Loved everything about the job other than being mistaken for a Lowes employee because of my red shirt!
Merchandiser/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Opelika, AL12 February 2017
I really enjoyed my job with Scotts. I love the opportunity to become a subject matter expert concerning gardening and lawn care, with the Scotts products.I enjoyed meeting people who have the same interests as me. I love gardening and lawn care and was so pleased to share my knowledge with customers while recommending specific products for their needs. In many cases, I gained valuable information from the customer concerning their personal experience and was able to use that knowledge to help others as well as myself. My only complaint would be the red shirt that I was required to wear. I worked in Lowes and was mistaken for a Lowes employee far too many times. I was required to spend too much of my time explaining to the customer that I was a merchandiser for Scotts and then spend too much time helping them find a Lowe's employee to help them with their plumbing needs. After a few weeks, I could direct the customer to plumbing, lighting, kitchen and bath departments, but still couldn's answer specific questions concerning those departments.
Pros
Too many to list per my experience
Cons
Mistaken for a Lowes employee due to my red shirt!
Worst place ever
Worker (Former Employee) –  Honea Path, SC7 February 2017
Worst place I've ever worked !! Dirty inside , 6 days a week 14hrs plus a day, No chance of moving up in the company, .The scotts employees don't care about you!!
Cons
A great company to work for
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Marysville oh31 January 2017
Scotts is a great company with strong views to the employees and community and I loved working for them. I learned a lot working for them. The hardest part was going through management change,
Pros
They really do a lot for their employees and community
Cons
no job security
Great products, Leader in industry
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OH24 January 2017
Exciting and challenging to work for a company that is number one in its industry, the leader with huge consumer awareness and brand equity. The everyday work colleagues are all team driven for the common cause. Senior Management can be difficult and create a hostile work environment. They do not value employees who are doing the right thing and making an impact. Always changing the organization and losing many valuable people who have helped create the company, driven the business, and made senior management money.
Pros
Good compensation and Benefits
Cons
Senior Management operates in a tyrant environment, does not value or promote a collaborative team atmosphere
Fast-Paced Environment
Senior Analyst, Federal Registrations (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OH and Hampton, GA18 January 2017
Fast-paced environment with learning opportunities. Scotts has a great commitment to total health for its employees.
Pros
Free or discounted lawn care products and an on-site fitness center
Cons
Location of corporate office
wouldn't recommend it
current employe (Current Employee) –  Yaphank, NY29 December 2016
If management had a clue or a care in the world it would be a great place to work. Plant manager that does not care about his workers and is barely here to know whats going on. They do not train employees. The temp agency's do nothing good for this company. If the management team doesn't know how to do their job or care about their job. Then who will?
Pros
pay is decent
Cons
Management is clueless. They do not train. Hiring process the tempory agency's are a failure
Supervisor treats workers terrible
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Michigan20 December 2016
In months I worked as a temp, I witnessed a 37yr veteran supervisor yell and intimidate employees if he felt you werent doing job exactly right-- very poor communicator and frequently slept and couldnt be found for 1-2 hours at a time...all the workers agreed he should retire!.. Extremely dirty environment.. They supply masks but cant breathe if you use them.
Pros
Paid christmas party
Cons
Dirty environment-abusive supervisor
Dynamic consumer products company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH5 December 2016
Best in class lawn care products produced in a lean environment. A fast-paced work place setting with field and site based employees who work together to achieve common goals.0
RETAIL PRODUCT COUNSELOR (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OH28 November 2016
Jobs are limited, well paying positions well balance position and enjoy working for company, Family oriented, great products . Management willing to work with you.
No work life balance. Rude bosses, unrealistic quota
Door to Door Sales (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CT10 August 2016
Horrible company culture. Virtually zero training. You will be thrown into the field expecting high sales 6 days a week. Management treats sales team like garbage. Even if you sell high volume and revenue you will be fired quickly if you have a bad sales week or two. Terrible customer service, constant lies from managers, many unhappy customers. Complaints are not properly addressed. Expect to work 60 plus hours per week plus every Saturday. You will have no family or personal life. Low base salary, very poor paying commissions, gas milage not enough to even pay for the gas. Must use your own vehicle. Physically and mentally exhausting, led me to be sick. Not worth it.
Pros
Travel to many different areas, work outside
Cons
Very long hours, 6 day work week, low pay, poor training and bad management that lies often.
Dirty , unsafe, hostile working environment
Plant (Current Employee) –  Lakeville, MN26 July 2016
This is one of the worst jobs I have ever had. Dirty, and you will work with mainly felons but when you have such a unsafe, dirty, horrible culture that is all you can get.

Do yourself a favor and stay away! This place will only hurt your spirits. Long spring hours and then there is nothing to do, people get laid off and it makes for a very unstable environment. Feast or phantom

This is a large company that's not large. HR does not exist, I have seen people do and say horrible things at work without discipline Women can not survive in this environment. Unless you enjoy sharing a bathroom with men. It really is just a unthinkable place with horrible ethics oh and there is no office. It is a trailer

I learned I was not valued and men mean more than women. It is unthinkable to think things like this happen but with the wrong management they do.
Pros
Free lunches--- to make the boys happy
Cons
Bad management and overall unsafe environment
Fun, always working, and traveling to new locations.
Seasonal Help (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA21 June 2016
Fun job, great teammates, great management, great accounts but only for a limited time, seasonal. I would work all year if full-time.
Pros
Full-time and awesome staff up the chain.
Cons
Seasonal.
Dock lead/ forklift operator
Dock Lead/ forklift operator (Current Employee) –  Ohio15 June 2016
Just a flat out bad place to work. If you like to have steady hours and a life outside of work or weekends you definitely don't want to work here.
Pros
................there really are not any.....decent pay but not worth it.
Cons
Shift constantly changing, need to know if you have to work a saturday? Dont count on knowing till the day before at 2pm.
Not American.
None (Former Employee) –  None7 June 2016
I can understand a company that doesn't allow smoking on the job, but last time I checked, we don't live in Russia and it's none of my employers business what I do on my own time. Unless they want to pay me 24/7, my time isMINE! There are plenty of jobs out there that respect their employees privacy and rights.
Pros
Cons
Company seeks to control your life outside your work time
Robinson innovation
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OK11 May 2016
I love work with anyone as long as we work as a team that all it matter to me.I drive fork lift for long time an I like my job.I'm a Samoan an I work hard everyday.
Pros
Love free lunch
Cons
Long break short break dnt matter
Not Fun
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Groveland, FL27 April 2016
Dirty, dirty, dirty. I know the place made growing media, but everything was always covered in dirt. Machines broke down all the time, and the maintenance staff had their hands tied and couldn't fix much.
Corporate bully not straight across the board.
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Orrville, OH23 April 2016
In my 5 years of working at Scotts, I have seen dozens of people fired. They care more about the temps then full time associates. The factories are politically biased. Working conditions are horrible. Very dusty and refuse to buy more dust collectors. Always short on people and constant retaliation once you voice your opinion. Corporate factory pays 5-10+ dollars more an hour than the rest of the plants that do the same job. Numbers matter more than safety. In the span of my 5 years I have had 2 plant managers, 4 different supervisors, 11 different foreman. Oh and one death.
Pros
Health benefits are ok
Cons
Poor management
fun place to work
Production Lead/ Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Shafter, CA20 April 2016
gret place to work, people are friendly and outgoing, lots of interaction with coworkers. hardest part of the day would be to troubleshoot machinery and equipment. good family oriented company.
Pros
good educational place to work
Cons
none.
Lots of work, not much else
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Texas24 March 2016
5 years in and only had two pay increases.
Lots of work, short handed most of the time .
I've had 3 plant managers, 7 supervisors in 5 years.
Pros
Every other Friday i get a check
Cons
Zero pay increase for two years
Work Hard
sales manager (Current Employee) –  Massachusetts27 November 2015
Typical day you go in a home center, walk the store and look for pallets to be dropped. It's typical to drop 20-30 in one store alone. Then you need someone to drop the pallets for you. This process can take ten minutes, a few hours or frustration and move onto another store and start the process all over. Once the pallets are dropped you start packing out fertilizer, chemicals, plant food, rodenticides, outdoor cleaner, etc. Its very labor intensive and it's no uncommon to spend 12-18 hours doing this six day a week in season. You have a merchandising budget for help in the stores. It's very hard to retain part time, seasonal workers who don't get raises. Even if you have your help planned out, Scotts will yank the budget out of no where and you'll be stuck trying to do 35-40 stores by yourself. Then upper management will walk your stores and nit pick, asking why spreaders are dirty, bags of fertilizer have rodent and or bird fecal matter on them. This is a common technique used to RIF or terminate a sales manager. Walk stores, look for the tiniest goofs and then either terminate you on the spot or put you on probation and ride you until you quit or they terminate you. The only person who has job security is the CEO and his family members, who own about 1/3 of the company. The CEO Uses profanities prides himself on terminating upper managers, and has slowly taken away everything that was fun to work for Scotts. This is so he can fly his jet and helicopter at the company's expense. Expect to be constantly tracked via your company phone and vehicle.
Pros
Company phone, car, great holiday schedule, bonus incentive, home center managers and associates that appreciate your hard work.
Cons
Company car is taxed, Bonus rarely happens, interruptions at home, low pay, filthy conditions.

2.6