The Scotts Company

The Scotts Company Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Undergoing a lot of change
President Scotts LawnService (SLS) (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 6, 2014
Best brands in lawn and garden industry. Industry growth has slowed so need to find new ways to grow.
Great Atmosphere
Lean Manufacturing Manager (Current Employee), Avondale, PAApril 18, 2014
Pros: pleasant place to work
Cons: paper
Na . I done not believe it is ethical to review working at any company
Easy to take pride in products
sales (Former Employee), midwestApril 16, 2014
Pros: great brands
Cons: big customers
Very seasonal in the midwest- very long hours and weekends in spring early summer and fall. Numbers driven, but what business isn't.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Representative/ Customer Service/ Counselor (Current Employee), Thousand Oaks, CAFebruary 19, 2014
Educated the consumers on proper usage of products, traveled to different locations and set-up displays to offer information on disease control as well as product. Worked closely with the public and offered services of assistance when needed.
Great Merchandising Experience
Merchandiser / Vendor (Former Employee), Marysville, OHJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: gain tons of experience quickly
Cons: travling store to store
Got to work with a lot of wonderful people. Great for anyone who likes to travel around store to store.
Solid company with positive outlook
AUDITOR (Former Employee), Marysville, OHJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: workout facility
Cons: compensation
Overall Scotts provided a decent environment to excel. Employees were pushed to their limits, but often times management failed to recognize hard work.

Co-workers weren't the friendliest of people - you almost never saw associates socializing with one another.
An excellent company and a great place to work
International SAP Master Data Manager (Current Employee), Ipswich, ENGJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: the people
I was fortunate to work for some great people. The business in Ipswich changed so much as it passed from being the well known and established Fisons Ltd, through the management buy out period to become part the wolds largest Horticulture business Scotts Miracle-Gro Company. In all that time my co-workers were always of the highest quality, it has been – more... a pleasure.

The company has offered me opportunities, I gained an MBA and have been lucky enough to travel to many far away places gaining so many experiences. – less
Company is more concerned about themselves than the well being of its workers.
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Marysville, OHJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: not many
Cons: long hours, low pay, poor direction from upper management.
Typical day consisted of starting work at 6:00 am only to work till very late at night. Trying to deliver sales goals that at times were very unrealistic.
I enjoy working for the Scotts company
Lead Merchandiser (Current Employee), Marysville OhioDecember 30, 2013
Pros: very flexible
Cons: seasonal
I really like my position with Scotts I would really like to work year round
Hard-work,low wages, no benefits. Rare chance of advancement.
Cell associate (Former Employee), Fort madison,IaDecember 13, 2013
Pros: very little, colorful people i guess.
Cons: it's a black hole of despair.
I've worked here off and on out of necessity. Because unfortunately there are no job options in my area. They hire you through a temp. service. They then have you do a years worth of within 6 months then lay you off in the spring. There is an unwritten policy, that if you get an injury from working and you report it, as intructed, you are fired. You – more... are underpaid for hard work that is only made harder so some fat cat, can line his pockets. There is no chance of being hired on full time. It's barely above indentured servantry. – less
Productive enviroment
Merchandiser (Former Employee), northern district for ILOctober 8, 2013
Merchandiser-responsible for stocking and inventory of Scotts products in the retail environment (e.g. Lowes, Homedepot, WalMart). These responsibilities included; usage of Plano-grams, assembly and stocking display units, inventory count, verification, receipt, product appearance and quality control of merchandise. This also required coordination with – more... store personal to complete daily task lists, product ordering and product demonstrations to customers. This required data entry into store inventory system. Must comply with quality and safety rules of both the company and store environment. – less
Great if you like working from a home office
SALES MANAGER (Current Employee), Marysville, OHOctober 1, 2013
If you want to move up you have to move to Ohio which kind of stinks.
Very productive and great employees
Merchandiser/Product Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee), NYSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: freedom to work without being micro managed.
Cons: seasonal, sales effected by weather
A typical day at work involved making sure products were displayed correctly and the shelves were stocked, in multiple stores. My manager and co-workers were all hard workers and respectable people. Sometimes the workers in Home Depot stores weren't very helpful dropping pallets because they were preoccupied with tasks given to them by their manager. – more... Overall it was a good experience. – less
Great company to work for!!!!
Field Merchandiser (Current Employee), Jackson, TNJune 26, 2013
Pros: got to go to lunch a lot
Cons: no benifits
It was very hard work but it was a great company to work for!!! Great Pay!!!!
Great Place to Work
Merchandising Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJune 15, 2013
I had a great manager when I worked with this company. He was understanding and fair and told you up front what he expected from you and didn't overload you with a bunch of meaningless chatter. He was the manager, I was the employee. Sounds simple, but I like that kind of distinction in a job.

As a whole, the company also seemed to want to get everyone – more... involved in the company culture. I went to a few informational gatherings the company had with various retailers to explain new products and to get the word out about their products. It was very informational and a lot of fun. It made me feel like Scotts cared that I was part of their team. – less
Worst Company on The Planet!
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Knoxville TnJune 13, 2013
Cons: everything
Management are a bunch of LIARS!!! Ghosting of lawns was a COMMON practice, techs do nothing, stick a bill in the mailbox and drive off!!! Happened in every region the east Tennessee call center covered from Raleigh, NC to Memphis, TN!! MGMT blamed staff for all the lost revenue and you lost your job if you didn't SAVE at least 95% of customers who – more... said to cxl the account. Common customer statement: MY LAWN LOOKS LIKE S***!!! OFFICE MGR, SALES MGR, and TECH MGR ALWAYS PUTTING OUT FIRES AND BILLING MGR ALWAYS GIVING REFUNDS!!!
The company works you to death then fires employees over things they said you did, like did not document notes when you did, change it on the system and then lie about it! They got caught and owed me $2000 in proven unemployment fraud!!! RUN DON'T WALK AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! – less
merchandiser position
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2013
Pros: good pay, good company, good people
Cons: temp positions
I enjoyed my merchandising job with Scotts. Would work with again next season.
stable work
Associate (Current Employee), Palmdale, FLMay 25, 2013
Pros: stable, good health benefits
Cons: dirty, dusty
winter months are the busy months. good stable work. and company is a good company to work for
Fast-paced, aggressive environment
Advertising Compliance Specialist (Current Employee), World Headquarters, Marysville OhioMay 17, 2013
Pros: free prescriptions at on-site pharmacy, associate park and pool, on-site wellness center and doctor, no co-pays at dr office with insurance
Cons: lofty expectations
On a typical day at work, you will arrive a bit early to spend some time refreshing yourself on the events of the day before and prepare a plan for your day, you will likely be interrupted several times, have urgent meetings to attend, work through your lunch, realize you have not yet accomplished the things you intended to complete in the day (due – more... to the "priorities" that interrupted you) and you are already leaving later than expected.

This job has taught me how to multi-task and prioritize on a level I never thought possible. The company is so fast-paced, and usually barely meeting committed deadlines. Everything becomes a last minute priority.

The management at Scotts is hit-or-miss. You will always have "good" and "bad" managers, but most managers in the company do not do a good job of communicating down.

My co-workers and peers are amazing individuals that manage to keep the crazy environment an enjoyable place to work. While I have never heard anyone say they weren't overwhelmingly busy, we all take it well and there are not many complaints.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the environment, but it is also the hardest part of the job. I personally enjoy the fast-pace, non-stop chase, but in my first several months it was borderline overwhelming.

The culture of the company overall is sink-or-swim. There is not a formal mentoring program and you will learn most of the job through your own methods. You will find that most individuals have been here for a long time and plan to stay, or they leave quickly. I haven't met many people in my 6 years that feel the environment is OK, they either like it or they don't. – less
Wish I could give negative stars
Sales (Former Employee), FloridaFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: fitness center, on-site health facility, pharmacy
Cons: high stress military environment, egomaniac ceo, poor project planning
Horrible company to work for. Considerable turnover and high stress environment creates toxic work conditions. Management looks the other way and back stabs you to get ahead. Coworkers were great, but that wasn't enough.

1 2 3